Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mrmcd posted:

This is mental illness.

i mean it literally is, it's collecting as an addiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

qirex posted:

iirc there was a special android toy you could only get by getting a paper stamped in like 10 different google offices around the world

corporate culture bullshit is so dumb

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

qirex posted:

iirc there was a special android toy you could only get by getting a paper stamped in like 10 different google offices around the world

Wouldn't surprise me. Teams make custom versions every now and then because the designer guy is pretty chill about doing commissions for like $500, and as long as you can order at least 1000 the Chinese factory will crank out a batch for you at like $8 a unit.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

President Beep posted:

conans o'brien

thank

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

ate all the Oreos posted:

i mean it literally is, it's collecting as an addiction

so just consumerism then

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

:tipshat:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1029796894946603008

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
:allears:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

please livestream azaelia banks's deposition

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
sorry techlords trying to flee there to escape the apocalypse, buffet's closed

https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/1029811777087844352

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

:jackbud:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

goddamnedtwisto posted:

we preferred to pedestrianise town centres because what you really want in the british climate is an outdoor shopping experience)

britain is warmer in winter and cooler in summer than 95% of the united states

enclosed malls were invented in places where -10 degrees C is a pretty good high for january. they never really made any sense in more mild climates

see also: american cars designed to operate equally well in -25C or 50C weather. not big sellers in yurop for some reason. gee

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

see also: american cars designed to operate equally well in -25C or 50C weather. not big sellers in yurop for some reason. gee

its cuz they suck op

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

kind of impressed that it hasn't burst already. what the gently caress is the appeal of those things?

it is like millennial "precious moments" figurines or some poo poo.

Real hurthling! posted:

You put them in your cubicle so that you arent the most depressing thing in there

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

britain is warmer in winter and cooler in summer than 95% of the united states

enclosed malls were invented in places where -10 degrees C is a pretty good high for january. they never really made any sense in more mild climates

funny how popular Japanese cars are in Canada

never tried them in +50 weather though

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
they do great. they do great everywhere.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

my Japanese car had a recall where some hose could catch fire but it specifically called out weather over 120 so it didn't feel too urgent lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wouldn't the best use of all these empty malls be to convert them to dormitory style mass shelters for all the destitute former retail workers?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lemons into lemonade and all that

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
best use of malls is to turn them into poor people execution centers for people who fail the welfare drug tests.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

best use of malls is to turn them into poor people execution centers for people who fail the welfare drug tests.

yeah some are already ICE detention centers

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Remember the guy who said tesla is lying about battery scrap?

Well he's tweet everything he's got:

https://mobile.twitter.com/trippedover

https://twitter.com/trippedover/status/1029841158514466817

https://twitter.com/trippedover/status/1029851313817804800

https://twitter.com/trippedover/status/1029851767083679744

There's so much more too

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

infernal machines posted:

wouldn't the best use of all these empty malls be to convert them to dormitory style mass shelters for all the destitute former retail workers?

I mean yeah but actually shoot all the landlords and put the poors in the nice homes that are empty “investment properties” instead

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

empty malls should be converted into sick skate parks

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
lock prisoners into the empty malls with weapons, last one alive earns their freedom, have cameras everywhere

prison population, empty malls and entertainment, disrupted

I’d call the show “king of the mall”

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
this is the toronto waterfront sidewalk labs thread right? they dumped some update this week that of course is covered in like 50 news reports but no one has the actual text of. highlights i could find:

quote:

Curbless streets made of a new type of concrete in modular hexagonal tiles that can be removed and replaced, eliminating the need for paving crews to fix potholes. Parts of the roadway would be heated, meaning no snow or salt in winter, and illuminated from within to show where pedestrians, cyclists and possible driverless automated vehicles would go. Uses, and illumination, could change to reconfigure the street, potentially changing it to a pedestrian-only plaza and then back to a roadway.

A “building raincoat” made of lightweight materials would be affixed to structures to shield people below from rain and snow. Sensors could slide the shield into place when rain is approaching and make it virtually disappear when sun returns. The raincoats would be meant to help reach the goal of doubling the amount of time residents can comfortably spend outside, and add “animation” to public spaces.

Laneways connecting common areas and buildings would be modelled on “stoa” from ancient Greece — covered walkways used for public markets and informal gatherings. The new way to use ground floor space on lowrise buildings would see sliding walls and even changing floors to modify space for retailers or community groups, and connect to office space or green roofs above.

Quayside could become a world centre for innovation in the emerging field of tall buildings made out of specially treated wood. Sidewalk Labs believes a 30-storey building could be made mostly of timber, with warm, calming interiors and other benefits including affordability. Karim Khalifa, the firm’s director of building innovations, said: “Quayside would be the biggest project in the world for timber today and the demands on that industry are not available in Canada.”

Lake Ontario, now unwelcoming at the Lake Shore Blvd. E. and Parliament St. Quayside site, would become a neighbourhood centrepiece. Rather than landfill a water slip now carved into the property, Sidewalk Labs wants to adorn it with a wave deck, a series of bridges and potentially even expand it. “We’ve also thought about whether we can bring water all the way up to Lake Shore so that it greets you the moment you come down from Parliament,” said Jesse Shapins, Sidewalk Labs’ director of public realm.

The visionaries, however, could not answer questions about Sidewalk Labs’s business model, how it will welcome other companies into the project, land ownership and more. That will come later, they said, as the partners work toward a final agreement expected to be ready for approvals next spring.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

President Beep posted:

they do great. they do great everywhere.

last i recall, aside from specific models targeted at north america or africa (camry, accord, odyssey, land cruiser), japanese cars have hilariously under-specified A/C systems. good luck not cooking to death on the highway in 118F

i don't mean to pick on the japanese though. german cars often have the same problem. the united states is p. extreme as climates go

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

FrozenVent posted:

lock prisoners into the empty malls with weapons, last one alive earns their freedom, have cameras everywhere

it's almost 2019, and america is turning into a totalitarian state, so you might as well just call it "the running man"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jabor posted:

it's almost 2019, and america is turning into a totalitarian state, so you might as well just call it "the running man"

oh were already there

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

this is the toronto waterfront sidewalk labs thread right? they dumped some update this week that of course is covered in like 50 news reports but no one has the actual text of. highlights i could find:

lmao

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

gosh theyre really piling poo poo at that desert parking lot

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Taintrunner posted:

shoot all the landlords
No way. There is tradition to consider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCiYmCVikjo

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

thats some dahir insaat stuff, good times

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

good

now takle away all housing owned by the rich and all their money, tia

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 16, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
peter thiel still gets in, gently caress the nats

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Not a Children posted:

SSA Inspector General's office brought in $46.30 per dollar spent on enforcement

https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/CEPMHudakWallackOIG.pdf

e: Of course SSA's purpose is to disburse funds rather than bring them in, so I can't say how much of that is kicking poor people to the curve and how much is rooting out serious scammers

giving you a citation and three demerits for citing brookings

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

too late, it's called mean guns starring ice-t

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

President Beep posted:

mall chat: i do think it's kind of cool how they're converting some mall structures into residential mixed-use. I bet there's some neat rehabs out there.

I worked with an op detox facility in the middle of a suburban mall in central florida. It was nuts. People are like violently detox from heroine while grandma walks past. People loitering and milling about the closest entrance smoking cigarettes. Vans pulling up and dropping off people during med times around the clock. It was crazy idk how they afforded my employer.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

duuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Quayside could become a world centre for innovation in the emerging field of tall buildings made out of specially treated wood.

yes please sign me up for the death tower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
wood is cool and good

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/feb/16/plyscraper-city-tokyo-tower-wood-w350