Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don’t think Gus is selling meth for money.

I think he is very single minded and focused on revenge.

After Hector and the entire cartel died he would’ve just kept dealing meth because of how entrenched he is. But I think taking out the cartel would’ve been his entire life’s work. Being a kingpin is a means to an end, not the end.

I honestly think he stuck to this business and built an empire as part of his master revenge plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Howard is a little boy in a big suit.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

boop the snoot posted:

After Hector and the entire cartel died he would’ve just kept dealing meth because of how entrenched he is. But I think taking out the cartel would’ve been his entire life’s work. Being a kingpin is a means to an end, not the end.

I honestly think he stuck to this business and built an empire as part of his master revenge plot.

Yeah that, and also so he'd be strong enough to never find himself in a Salamanca pool like situation again. Pride mixed with revenge and fear of vulnerability sprinkled on top.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

boop the snoot posted:

The entire reason he wants revenge is because his partner got killed when they went to the cartel and said "we can make lots of money selling my meth."

His motivations have certainly changed since then, but he's always been a businessman.

Karmine fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 15, 2018

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Baronjutter posted:

A recurring theme in these shows is about pride being people's downfalls. I'm seeing shades of Walter White in Gus lately, he's obsessed with Hector and sees himself as the only rightful arbiter of his fate, for what he "deserves". If Gus could just be satisfied with the old gently caress dying in a hospital bed he'd be so much better off come breaking bad, in fact most of his problems would not exist.

I don't necessarily think it's Gus's pride that motivates him, so much as his pure unbridled spite for the cartel. On top of the regular reasons why anybody would be driven to the illegal drug trade, such as the exhilaration, money, and power, the only observable motivation for Gus to remain in the game is to avenge Max and have his transgressors pay for their actions. His weakness is not his pride, it's his wrath.

Cojawfee posted:

Gus does have empathy. He cares for the people who work for him at Los Pollos Hermanos. He works very hard to make sure they don't get affected by his drug business and he seems to care about their well being. Gus seems almost like a Venture Bros villain in that he lives a double life. Like Monstroso or Wide Wale. He's just a normal guy who is living his dream of coming to America and opening a chain of chicken restaurants. He gets to share his family recipe with people and also enjoys the simple day to day life of running the restaurant. He is also an evil villain who runs part of a drug cartel and kills people.

Gus is such an amazingly written and complex character. He sits in that very rarely-used niche where he's neither ally to the protagonist nor an antagonist, he is like a force of nature with his own agenda and his own tapestry of motivations. Really funny for you to compare him to a VB villain, because for all intents and purposes that's almost exactly what he's like in terms of the role he plays. Although obviously Gus is not a 12-foot giant or a skull-faced reaper.

He and Nacho have some principles alike, in that they try to keep innocents out of the drug game, but whereas Nacho is more outwardly honorable and respectful, Gus' motivations are far more opaque and enigmatic. Gus would never put his Los Pollos employees in danger or treat them badly, that much is certain, but the great mystery is that we're never shown if it's because he's empathetic and abides by a moral code, or if it's because he simply wants his good boss persona to reflect the legitimacy of his business facade and wants it to run as smoothly as possible. As we've seen in the last five minutes of the latest episode, there is absolutely nothing keeping Gus from killing a motherfucker Manhunt-style if they show to be the slightest bit of an inconvenience to him. He is an amoral, highly intelligent machine that is twenty steps ahead of everyone. Scenes like that make you wonder if there is anything human left in him at all.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

A recurring theme in these shows is about pride being people's downfalls. I'm seeing shades of Walter White in Gus lately, he's obsessed with Hector and sees himself as the only rightful arbiter of his fate, for what he "deserves". If Gus could just be satisfied with the old gently caress dying in a hospital bed he'd be so much better off come breaking bad, in fact most of his problems would not exist. Much like if Walter had just taken his rich friend's help and job offer he'd never have had to turn to becoming a awful meth man, but his pride didn't allow him.

Jimmy again keeps loving himself over out of some sense of pride or identity loving over great jobs and potentials, so did Chuck, his extremely rigid "morality" was so tied up with his pride and probably a big factor in his mental illness. Even now, is Mike really doing this security consulting because he thinks it makes for a better cover rather than laying low, or is this based on a sense of pride that he needs to be doing "real work" to "earn" his laundered money? And how will that work out for him in the end?

Howard though has been almost totally robotically corporate, everything he's done has been in a fairly reasonable best interest for the firm. The dickish personal things we thought he did were all at the behest of Chuck, who he had to placate for the good of the firm. Howard as a drug kingpin would be unstoppable, he would not let anything be personal, only do what's in the best interest of his operation.

It is more less classic Greek Tragedy, I quote from some english PDF that I just dug up with Google: "Tragedy: Drama that shows the downfall of a noble hero, a generally good person of high birth who makes a tragic mistake or error in judgment. It can also be a character flaw. (In Greek tragedy, it is usually hubris, or excessive pride, that causes the downfall of the character.) Prior to his death, the hero usually has some realization about human fate and destiny."

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Baronjutter posted:

A recurring theme in these shows is about pride being people's downfalls. I'm seeing shades of Walter White in Gus lately, he's obsessed with Hector and sees himself as the only rightful arbiter of his fate, for what he "deserves". If Gus could just be satisfied with the old gently caress dying in a hospital bed he'd be so much better off come breaking bad, in fact most of his problems would not exist. Much like if Walter had just taken his rich friend's help and job offer he'd never have had to turn to becoming a awful meth man, but his pride didn't allow him.

Jimmy again keeps loving himself over out of some sense of pride or identity loving over great jobs and potentials, so did Chuck, his extremely rigid "morality" was so tied up with his pride and probably a big factor in his mental illness. Even now, is Mike really doing this security consulting because he thinks it makes for a better cover rather than laying low, or is this based on a sense of pride that he needs to be doing "real work" to "earn" his laundered money? And how will that work out for him in the end?

Howard though has been almost totally robotically corporate, everything he's done has been in a fairly reasonable best interest for the firm. The dickish personal things we thought he did were all at the behest of Chuck, who he had to placate for the good of the firm. Howard as a drug kingpin would be unstoppable, he would not let anything be personal, only do what's in the best interest of his operation.

When Jimmy got his law license suspended for a year, he could have just worked for Kim as a paralegal/assistant and she wouldn't have been burning the candle at both ends trying to juggle two major clients by herself.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

MightyJoe36 posted:

When Jimmy got his law license suspended for a year, he could have just worked for Kim as a paralegal/assistant and she wouldn't have been burning the candle at both ends trying to juggle two major clients by herself.

Also if he has at least 1.5 mil coming from that settlement, I'm sure he could get a loan for 100k to tide them over.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
My two favorite things in this episode:

1) Jimmy's car bottoming out when entering and leaving the copy place parking lot. We see it happen when he arrives, but at the end of the scene he just drives off camera and we hear the CHUNK CHUNK. That's a really great way to aurally bookend the scene and somehow works as an effective segue into the next scene despite being an auditory smash cut SCENE OVER GO NOW.

2) I wonder how many times Bob and Rhea had to mac down on the couch before they got the goldfish to swim over into the shot juuuuuuuust right. Probably 40 or 50 tries I bet. I'm sure that shot is a split screen being hidden by the camera focus, but it's fun to dream :shobon:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Takes No Damage posted:

2) I wonder how many times Bob and Rhea had to mac down on the couch before they got the goldfish to swim over into the shot juuuuuuuust right. Probably 40 or 50 tries I bet. I'm sure that shot is a split screen being hidden by the camera focus, but it's fun to dream :shobon:
Hahaha I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure it only took a few takes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The more I think about it, the more I think that the whole sequence of him getting and then refusing the job is one of the best scenes of the whole series.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

MightyJoe36 posted:

While not technically illegal in most states, hiring a disbarred lawyer as a paralegal is heavily frowned upon and would cause a risk to both of their licenses if there is any instance that could be seen as her relying on his legal advise in that capacity during that year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

precision posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think that the whole sequence of him getting and then refusing the job is one of the best scenes of the whole series.
It was very good, but i don’t think anything will top the episode last season where Chuck testifies and proceeds to get owned

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

precision posted:

It's really good. Definitely top 10, maybe top 5.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was very good, but i don’t think anything will top the episode last season where Chuck testifies and proceeds to get owned

That whole episode is definitely my favourite episode of this show and definitely ranks as a favourite in all TV. Everything's been building to a head, Chuck thinks he has Jimmy right where he wants him, and then Jimmy tears it all down around Chucks ears and it's really masterful.

Regarding Fring, I think we needed that moment of brutality from him to really cement his place in the show and show us what he was really about, it's this show's Box Cutter moment, and shows us how utterly ruthless and in control Fring is.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fring is easily the best villain of either show by a mile. He’s also pretty terrifying when he feels like it.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Why the hell didn't Jimmy take the copy machine sales job??

Nail Rat posted:

edit: anyway, I really have a hard time figuring out Jimmy's motivation for not taking the job particularly if he wants to have Mike steal the figure.
They were a couple of marks he could easily con out of more than a job, and his disdain for that meant he couldn't see himself working for them. Sets him up to have a strong preference for working with people on the other side of the law.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Jimmy wants to be the person in charge so he can do whatever he wants to get his task done. In the jobs we've seen him in, he either hates it or he's in charge.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cojawfee posted:

Jimmy wants to be the person in charge so he can do whatever he wants to get his task done. In the jobs we've seen him in, he either hates it or he's in charge.

Yeah I mean if he wanted to he could still be at Davis and Main living the cushy life. That's just not who he is.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
One cool thing I realized about Gus is that when he's doing bullshit work like sweeping up the sidewalk outside Pollos, he's achieving three things: 1. putting on the public face of a hapless chicken restauranteur 2. Gaining the trust and loyalty of his employees by proving that he'll do the bullshit work even though he's the boss 3. Buying himself time and headspace to ruminate and plot his Evil Drug Stuff.

Gus loving rules, and the way you can always tell what he's thinking but you can never tell EXACTLY what he's thinking is low key some of the best acting in the entire BrBa-verse.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Fring is easily the best villain of either show by a mile. He’s also pretty terrifying when he feels like it.

Gus hasn’t been a villain in the context of BCS until the last few minutes of the last episode, and writing that thought down has helped me figure out why his inclusion in the show hasn’t worked for me so far. Now that Nacho’s rear end is in the jackpot, I’m interested to see if the show is going to torch the sympathy and goodwill we have for Mike, knowing how loyal he ends up to Gus even though he knows the man to be a psychopath.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mike is going to kill Kim.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kuiperdolin posted:

That seems incredibly unlikely.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Kuiperdolin posted:

From what I remember of BB Saul doesn't hate Mike, rather just thinks of him as a guy he knows.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I didn't say he was going to get caught. It will be just like Jane.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That seems absurd.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kuiperdolin posted:

I didn't say he was going to get caught. It will be just like Jane.

I just don't see any way they can come up with a plotline where Mike is required to take out Kim Wexler, unless she suddenly becomes the DA of Albuquerque and decides to crack down hard on meth.

Oh poo poo. Oh poo poo. That's where this is going.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

precision posted:

I just don't see any way they can come up with a plotline where Mike is required to take out Kim Wexler, unless she suddenly becomes the DA of Albuquerque and decides to crack down hard on meth.

Oh poo poo. Oh poo poo. That's where this is going.

DA of a city where meth and mobsters run rampant does sound like a position worthy of those Atticus Finch fantasies she mentioned to Jimmy, as far as prosecution cases go

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Kim as DA as a theory is blowing my mind at the possibilities and how well it fits

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
It would be an appropriately tragic way to end the Gene plot, but I’m hoping for a happier ending for him

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It would be better if Kim were some sort of federal prosecutor or something and she ends up prosecuting Jimmy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Does kim have much criminal background? Lawyers are generally pretty hyper-focused and kim seems to be more banking/finance focused.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
She could be brought in as an expert on money laundering or whatever financial crimes Saul Goodman committed.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Gus hasn’t been a villain in the context of BCS until the last few minutes of the last episode, and writing that thought down has helped me figure out why his inclusion in the show hasn’t worked for me so far. Now that Nacho’s rear end is in the jackpot, I’m interested to see if the show is going to torch the sympathy and goodwill we have for Mike, knowing how loyal he ends up to Gus even though he knows the man to be a psychopath.

Yeah, I like this. It's likely Nacho is going to ask for Mike's help in all this and he's going to be caught in the middle.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Kim is going to find Gene and prosecute him.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Does kim have much criminal background? Lawyers are generally pretty hyper-focused and kim seems to be more banking/finance focused.

hamlin mcgill was doing white collar criminal defense for the Kettlemans presumably, but other than that yeah I don't really think Kim is doing much (or, currently, any) criminal work at all

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Picture it. The last scene.

“Hi Jimmy” comes a familiar voice.

Gene looks up from behind the counter at Cinnabon and the camera cuts behind a blonde woman’s head to the side of the frame with Jimmy standing there, jaw dropped.

Cut to black.

End series.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

boop the snoot posted:

Kim is going to find Gene and prosecute him.

More likely she finds him, but doesn't know that the person she was looking for was her old flame Jimmy McGill, and decides not to prosecute him.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We know there's going to be horrific depressing poo poo in the 2003 plotline leading into breaking bad, but I hope the flash forwards maybe give us something approaching a happy ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Takes No Damage posted:

My two favorite things in this episode:

1) Jimmy's car bottoming out when entering and leaving the copy place parking lot. We see it happen when he arrives, but at the end of the scene he just drives off camera and we hear the CHUNK CHUNK. That's a really great way to aurally bookend the scene and somehow works as an effective segue into the next scene despite being an auditory smash cut SCENE OVER GO NOW.

Calling it now, that's a visual effect fish. They got super lucky on that miracle hummingbird or whatever on Breaking Bad, but for couch macking I bet they just cgi'd up a fish.

As for Mike ending up working for a psycho, I very much get the impression that Gus keeps that level of savagery under wraps and only busts it out when he gets really pissed off and sees things not going to his plan. A real bad thing happened to Hector and he didn't do it? Better go kill a guy in front of the guy who did it and make him pay for stealing that revenge from Gus, and gain a tactical advantage alongside it. Gail got killed? Better go kill a henchman for a low-level screw-up since I'm super pissed off, and hey send a message along with it.

Remember when Victor gets killed in Breaking Bad Mike is surprised as hell and even points his gun up at Gus in shock for a moment. I'm sure to that point he saw Gus as a professional operator who (we now know) shares his dislike of the cartel, works to keep innocents out of the game, and takes care of his guys. Walt was also very much impressed and taken in by Gus initially, and it was really only all the dramatics with Jesse that soured the relationship between them. Even with Walt knowing about how Gus went after his brother in law, I think there was enough money dangled in front of him that he would have been kept smoothly under Gus' thumb, though then again once the cartel wanted Gus' cook who knows how the hell that goes if it was somehow only Walt cooking and Jesse wasn't in the picture at all, though who knows maybe we could have gotten a glorious Gus/Heisenberg teamup of the Cartel takedown, Walt makes a chemically pure antidote for Gus to take beforehand and help counteract the superpoison...

Oh for the good times those two murderers could have had, it'd be a far less dramatic show and the worse for it, but it renews my desire for "what if" scenes to be made in basically all the media I enjoy.