Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

Simone Poodoin posted:

Remember when people thought the mighty Americans would use RICO to take down FIFA?

leeds dad knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

greazeball posted:

and killed him

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Simone Poodoin posted:

Remember when people thought the mighty Americans would use RICO to take down FIFA?

Yeah. I thought a lot of things pre-November 2016.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Yeah. I thought a lot of things pre-November 2016.

Halcyon days.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Didn't basically everyone plead guilty though

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

yeah all the predetermined fall guys indeed fell

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I didn't know Chuck Blazer was dead. Wikipedia says he died of rear end cancer.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ka0 posted:

I didn't know Chuck Blazer was dead. Wikipedia says he died of rear end cancer.

What about his cats are they still in their own apartment

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

quote:

Juan Angel Napout, the former president of South America's football governing body Conmebol, has been jailed for nine years for his part in the Fifa bribery scandal.

He was found guilty in December last year at a trial in Brooklyn, New York.

The Paraguayan was convicted of racketeering conspiracy and two wire fraud charges.

The former Fifa vice-president will also have to forfeit $3.37m (£2.6m) and pay a fine of $1m (£767,000).

The 60-year-old was found guilty along with the former head of the Brazil Football Confederation Jose Maria Marin.

Marin, 86, was jailed earlier this month for four years and fined $1.2m (£920,000) and ordered to forfeit $3.34m (£2.59m).

Napout was arrested at the Baur Au Lac hotel in Zurich in December 2015, seven months after an initial dawn raid at the same hotel in which seven Fifa officials were detained.

The crimes related to Napout's participation in schemes to accept millions of dollars in bribes in exchange for the media and marketing rights to various football tournaments.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/1044247493318447106

The best part posted:

The flights included a sightseeing trip within India to the Taj Mahal, a meeting with the Emir of Qatar in Doha, and taking his family and a children’s nanny to the World Cup qualifying draw in July 2015 in St. Petersburg, Russia.

Valcke told the court he followed advice about the Russian trip from then-FIFA president Sepp Blatter “to not travel on commercial flights to avoid arrest.” Several weeks earlier, American and Swiss federal prosecutors unsealed their sweeping investigations of corruption linked to FIFA officials.

This was “manifestly not a valid reason for a law-abiding individual,” the panel of three CAS judges wrote. Swiss prosecutors announced criminal proceedings against Valcke in 2016 and 2017 for financial wrongdoing. Those proceedings are ongoing.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Luka modric won the FIFA ballon dor

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

surprised its not more tbh

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

oliwan posted:

Luka modric won the FIFA ballon dor

I get the feeling you have to have a criminal record or proceedings to be considered.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Infantino hast proposed to allow 48 teams to play in the Qatar world cup lol

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Which conveniently would force them to share with other countries as hosts. I wonder which other Arab states have been sending brown envelopes.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Tsaedje posted:

Which conveniently would force them to share with other countries as hosts. I wonder which other Arab states have been sending brown envelopes.

Isn't the idea to make them 3-team groups so there's still the same number of games that we already have?

If it's still 4-team groups, lol.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
In news that is sure to shock everyone, Infantino worked with City and PSG back in 2014 to get them much lower punishments than they should have had, according to Football Leaks

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/gianni-infantino-worked-on-behalf-of-manchester-city-and-psg-a-1236418.html

quote:

As UEFA General Secretary, Infantino Worked on Behalf of Gulf-Owned Clubs Manchester City and PSG

As general secretary of the European football association UEFA in 2014, Gianni Infantino intentionally circumvented the work of the body's internal control panels. This is revealed by documents provided to DER SPIEGEL by the whistleblower platform Football Leaks and shared by the newsmagazine with the international reporting group European Investigative Collaborations (EIC) and three other partners.

According to these documents, Infantino ensured that Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain, both owned by emirates in the Gulf, received only mild penalties for their massive violations of UEFA's Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules. These budgetary regulations stipulated that a club's deficit in the two seasons between 2011 and 2013 could only add up to a total of 45 million euros. UEFA investigators and independent auditors found, however, that PSG's deficit was 218 million euros and Man City's was 188 million euros. As a result of those violations, the two clubs potentially faced being banned from participation in the Champions League, the harshest penalty. The Qatari owners of PSG and the owners of Manchester City, who come from Abu Dhabi, tried to prevent such a penalty by exerting massive pressure on UEFA leadership.

The documents from Football Leaks show that Infantino, who is from Switzerland, fought on behalf of the clubs, despite being general secretary of the investigating association. During the ongoing FFP investigation, Infantino held secret meetings with club leaders from Paris and Manchester on multiple occasions, provided them with confidential details and proposed compromises that he was not authorized to offer. In a May 2, 2014, email to Manchester City Chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak, Infantino sketched out suggestions for a settlement with the association. "You will see that I've sometimes chosen a wording which 'looks' more 'strong,'" Infantino wrote, making it clear that he was willing to massage certain passages. "Please read the document with this spirit." Of course, Infantino continued, the document was just between the two of them, which is to say, highly confidential.

In May 2014, the two clubs signed agreements with UEFA that hardly affected their bottom at all. A few days prior, Scottish economic expert Brian Quinn, who, as head of the FFP Investigatory Chamber, would have been in charge of the proceedings against the two clubs independent of UEFA leadership, resigned from his post. He believed the settlements were too lenient given the magnitude of the violations. In the years following the settlements, PSG and Manchester City together spent more than a billion euros on new Players.

Edit: And the response

quote:

City response to Der Spiegel claims of FFP deal with Uefa: “We will not be providing any comment on out of context materials purportedly hacked or stolen from CFG + Man City personnel + associated people. The attempt to damage the Club’s reputation is organized and clear.”

pik_d fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 2, 2018

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

pik_d posted:

In news that is sure to shock everyone, Infantino worked with City and PSG back in 2014 to get them much lower punishments than they should have had, according to Football Leaks

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/gianni-infantino-worked-on-behalf-of-manchester-city-and-psg-a-1236418.html

Edit: And the response

Honestly I bet he worked with Milan too. We should've been banned from the EL this year.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
There’s also talk of the European Super League again.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Not like either of them are winning the CL anytime soon.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
I hope the super league happens and they play all the matches all around the world so none of those clubs ever play a home game again

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1058452220985913351

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
“Determine the size of our bribe.”

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

That is absolutely incredible.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
gently caress all these fuckers off out in the stratosphere of rape and impropriety so good honest teams like spurs can employ the last few honest men to win the newly worthwhile premier league.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

gently caress all these fuckers off out in the stratosphere of rape and impropriety so good honest teams like spurs can employ the last few honest men to win the newly worthwhile premier league.

You got Leicester in 2016, football is now dead.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Shrapnig posted:

You got Leicester in 2016, football is now dead.

Football died in a helicopter crash

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
looks like we’ll soon have an organization that is even more garbage and corrupt than uefa and fifa

https://twitter.com/bbcsport/status/1058501509388754944?s=21

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The sad thing is, if I've understood right, is that it wouldn't even make those clubs gently caress off, its a champions league breakaway rather than a domestic league one.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Blue Star Error posted:

The sad thing is, if I've understood right, is that it wouldn't even make those clubs gently caress off, its a champions league breakaway rather than a domestic league one.

So it's a "glorified" ICC just during the regular season rather than in the offseason, essentially.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

Jason Sextro posted:

So it's a "glorified" ICC just during the regular season rather than in the offseason, essentially.

Nope, at least Bayern Munich wanted to leave entirely.

BBC posted:

As part of their plans, the clubs allegedly discussed "an option for leaving the national leagues and their football associations behind entirely".

They even looked into ways to refuse sending players to the national team...

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

They would get around international duty by leaving FIFA.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Owners appear to be insanely jealous of American sports franchises and the guaranteed money.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
https://twitter.com/realtalkmcfc/status/1058657473492598785

:thunk:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Luv to worship the wealthy 😎

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

lagidnam posted:

Nope, at least Bayern Munich wanted to leave entirely.

They even looked into ways to refuse sending players to the national team...

of course they did

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dirk Pitt posted:

Owners appear to be insanely jealous of American sports franchises and the guaranteed money.
True but at least American sports franchises haven't gone so far as to refuse to allow their players to play for national teams. Some have whined a bunch, but none that I'm aware have had successes.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Crazy Ted posted:

True but at least American sports franchises haven't gone so far as to refuse to allow their players to play for national teams. Some have whined a bunch, but none that I'm aware have had successes.

They refused all the hockey pros from playing in the most recent Olympics!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno, a champions league and premier league without both Manchester clubs sounds kinda cool and good to be honest

And honestly who would miss PSG I mean seriously.

edit: So we're clear this idea is stupid and poo poo and I hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

stab posted:

They refused all the hockey pros from playing in the most recent Olympics!

Well they did that in a roundabout way. The league decided not to take a break for the Olympic s like they usually do. They never actually forbid the players from taking part, but leaving your club team in the lead up to the playoffs would have been an issue so nobody went.