Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN

Manifisto posted:

I mean, I would have said "inedible to everybody" but chicken sashimi is apparently a thing :barf:

I was at a tiny 30 person chicken bar at the Kyoto train station about 5 years ago, a couple of jobs back. I hadn't realized how deep the rabbit warrens.go at the train stations.in Japan. They kept bringing out chicken on skewers and sake - chicken skin,.thigh, liver, all amazing.

Then out came this flavorless sushi. I asked our sales guy about it and he said no, that isn't sushi it's raw chicken. I had to explain our American cultural taboos about that, and then I drank the nasty 15 percent soju to kill any residual bacteria.

I lived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat

endemic salmonella is an american thing that we tolerate because the chicken lobby has convinced congress that it's worth it for cheap chicken. in many civilized countries you can eat raw chicken if you want and it's fine because their chickens aren't allowed to live in their own filth

it's like how people still freak out of there's any pink in their porkchop, even though this is fine and good in the 21st century and a dry overcooked porkchop is an abomination

e: really it's the raw fish that should freak people out more, because parasites

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 11, 2018

poverty goat

Last night I was on the verge of starvation and threw some brown rice and dry black beans in the instant pot with some chicken stock and sauteed onions, peppers and garlic, bay leaf, smoked paprika and cumin and it turned out so good in ~40 mins frm conception that I ate a bowl of it and then a couple of bean and rice tacos and I've had glorious foul machine gun farts all day from the moment I woke up

Entropic

patriarchy sucks

poverty goat posted:

endemic salmonella is an american thing that we tolerate because the chicken lobby has convinced congress that it's worth it for cheap chicken. in many civilized countries you can eat raw chicken if you want and it's fine because their chickens aren't allowed to live in their own filth

it's like how people still freak out of there's any pink in their porkchop, even though this is fine and good in the 21st century and a dry overcooked porkchop is an abomination

e: really it's the raw fish that should freak people out more, because parasites

rare chicken is completely gross tasting though, unlike rare beef or pork which can be delicious

poverty goat

Yeah I've heard it's weird below med-med rare

Robot Made of Meat

poverty goat posted:

I grew up thinking that pork was required to be dry, stringy and joyless. Sous vide opened my eyes to a whole new world of tasty, tender meatstuffs.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

alnilam

joke_explainer posted:

And also a bench knife, get in the habit of using this at the cutting board to slide stuff into your prep bowls. I think that'd be a great start. Any other suggestions team?

I use the backside of the knife for this and it works fine without dulling the knife or needing to change tools in my hand, just an alternate suggestion

And i have the victorinox knife mentioned as well as their 6" and paring knives from the same line and they're all amazing for their price they're all i ever use other than a bread knife

e: a bench knife is great for handling dough though imo

CodfishCartographer

Gadus Maprocephalus

Robot Made of Meat posted:

I grew up thinking that pork was required to be dry, stringy and joyless. Sous vide opened my eyes to a whole new world of tasty, tender meatstuffs.

Got a quick recommendation on how to sous vide them? I've been using my anova pretty much exclusively for steak, and been wanting to branch out.

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

145F, 75-180 mins, just salt and pepper. sear hot and fast like steak.

poverty goat

Subjunctive posted:

145F, 75-180 mins, just salt and pepper. sear hot and fast like steak.
w/ a thick bone-in porkchop

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

natch

Robot Made of Meat

Stuffed pork chops sous vide well too. Do them yourself, or pay the outrageous price at your local grocer if you're lazy (like me). Mmmm!

When done in the water bath, do a quick sear in something so you can make a little gravy. Doesn't need much.

As to times and temps, I just trust the Anova guides . . . tending toward the cooler temps because I like my meat on the rare side.

indyrenegade

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

8$ walmart caviar and king oscar sardines on triscuits from this weekend

red straws in the caviar due to being holed up in a hotel room with no utensils

thanks to manifisto for the sig!

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN

indyrenegade posted:

8$ walmart caviar and king oscar sardines on triscuits from this weekend

red straws in the caviar due to being holed up in a hotel room with no utensils

Real talk, that Icelandic "caviar" you can get from Amazon for like $20 a 4 pack is the poo poo. It's got a very fine (small egg) consistency but the flavor is awesome and you can't beat the price. I suspect this Walmart caviar is similar stuff.

indyrenegade

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

Bacon Taco posted:

Real talk, that Icelandic "caviar" you can get from Amazon for like $20 a 4 pack is the poo poo. It's got a very fine (small egg) consistency but the flavor is awesome and you can't beat the price. I suspect this Walmart caviar is similar stuff.

This stuff's Romanoff brand caviar. Tried to find sourcing information but I wasn't able to find anything much more substantial than "arctic waters" which.. I mean, bit sketchy. Most fish-related companies will list their source nowadays

thanks to manifisto for the sig!

ferroque

I thought "lumpfish" was that sad blobby looking fish meme lol

poverty goat

the other day I wanted some lemonade and I made this serious eats poo poo where you macerate the rinds with the sugar and let them soak a few hours till all the sugar is dissolved in rind juices before assembly. and it's the best

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/06/best-fresh-lemonade-recipe.html

poverty goat

I want to make it again and toss some fresh basil in with the rinds

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

ferroque posted:

I thought "lumpfish" was that sad blobby looking fish meme lol

blobfish!

poverty goat posted:

the other day I wanted some lemonade and I made this serious eats poo poo where you macerate the rinds with the sugar and let them soak a few hours till all the sugar is dissolved in rind juices before assembly. and it's the best

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/06/best-fresh-lemonade-recipe.html

yes... i want to try this now

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Decided to make the famous nytimes chicken provencal recipe tonight, with my friend oddhair. He had fresh thyme, oregano, rosemary, and lavender for the herbs de provence.

Missed opportunity to make this into loss. Dried it out in the toaster oven at 200F, took like 10 min or so. We added some store bought savory and mashed it all up

shallots and garlic all prepped

Rosemarys were stubborn so oddhair chopped em with the Wusthof

had to taste the vermouth

chicken thighs, salt pepper and floured

In the pan with vermouth, lemon, shallots, garlic, and herb mix

For a side dish. Bacon pieces and onion, added baby kale

Added grown up kale

Added salt and pepper, cookin it down

Making sure we don't like straight dry vermouth

400F and 25 minutes later, we spooned liquid over the chicken thighs, and put it in for another 25

Done!

Super easy. I've made this a few times and it always comes out great. You can serve with some of the shallots, but im watching the carbs. Sub sweet onions for shallots, and cheap dry white wine for vermouth if you want. I've added little herbed potatoes before, and that worked well too

poverty goat

I made this pie and it looks upset

Robot Made of Meat

/
Eat me!

Manifisto

poverty goat posted:

I made this pie and it looks upset

what type pie?

the crust looks good, it must be the filling it's upset about

ty nesamdoom!

poverty goat

peach

Manifisto

hmm that is a very respectable type pie

I will need to eat a slice to further investigate this mystery

Scaly Haylie

hi it's me, lizwiz, the guy who recently discovered garlic powder and basically hasn't done any cooking in his life. if i wanted to add garlic powder to scrambled eggs, when in the process would be a good time to do so?

Scaly Haylie

oh also

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Lizard Wizard posted:

hi it's me, lizwiz, the guy who recently discovered garlic powder and basically hasn't done any cooking in his life. if i wanted to add garlic powder to scrambled eggs, when in the process would be a good time to do so?

yes. i scramble my eggs with a little salt, garlic powder and chili powder and also cheese, american, cheddar and ricotta

i don't eat eggs often though because i like them cheesy and unhealthy, i slice/portion of cheese per egg

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lizard Wizard posted:

I routinely do it in the egg mixture or sprinkled on top once it’s in the pan, and both work.

FutonForensic

I've never braised mushrooms myself before tonight, and after having just eaten them with an omelet, I'm wondering why

joke_explainer

The correct time to add garlic powder is never. There's a few very specific applications for garlic powder. Most of the time, it sits in people's spice cabinet so long it becomes super gross.

Buy a bulb of garlic instead. That's like 69 cents for a ton of garlic. Literally every grocery store in the world has garlic. You can crush and dice up a clove of garlic really quickly and throw that in with your frying eggs for a much better garlic-in-eggs experience. Or even use a microplane or something to quickly grate a mushy garlic paste to throw in there (I prefer mincing it though).

If you must use the garlic powder, I guess right before the eggs are done and use sparingly.

Manifisto

FutonForensic posted:

I've never braised mushrooms myself before tonight, and after having just eaten them with an omelet, I'm wondering why

hmm that's exactly what a person infected with a parasitic fungus would say

srs though mushrooms are so darn good when they are cooked right, good going

poverty goat

joke_explainer posted:

The correct time to add garlic powder is never. There's a few very specific applications for garlic powder. Most of the time, it sits in people's spice cabinet so long it becomes super gross.

Buy a bulb of garlic instead. That's like 69 cents for a ton of garlic. Literally every grocery store in the world has garlic. You can crush and dice up a clove of garlic really quickly and throw that in with your frying eggs for a much better garlic-in-eggs experience. Or even use a microplane or something to quickly grate a mushy garlic paste to throw in there (I prefer mincing it though).

If you must use the garlic powder, I guess right before the eggs are done and use sparingly.

my usual scrambled eggs tek is to start w/ a little oil in a pan on med-high and toss in some diced onion and peppers. spread it out and then don't gently caress with it for 2-3 mins till they're starting to brown around the edges, then toss in a small clove of garlic crushed and diced and sautee, stirring a bit for a minute or so. then add a couple of eggs, some salt and pepper, and scramble as you see fit, adding cheese toward the end as needed. toast a thick slice of bread w/ some butter and put them eggs on top of it w/ some salsa (master technique: before you start the eggs, butter and brown both sides of the toast in the pan grilled cheese style). and slow down man just because it's on toast doesn't mean you have to eat it with your fingers. you're gonna make a mess

though i mostly go over easy if there's bread in the house, served the same way on toast (hold the salsa)

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 21, 2018

Scaly Haylie

i didn't have the gumption to go buy eggs today, but i did just skin and chop up real good two cloves of garlic, which i then dumped into my tray of frozen microwave spagette. the smell was divine!

Robot Made of Meat

Your culinary adventures never fail to amaze, LW.

Scaly Haylie

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Your culinary adventures never fail to amaze, LW.

goodly or badly? :ohdear:

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Honestly Liz, I loved it sense of adventure you have in cooking anything. I wish I still had that jorda veev.

So I want to say despite joke explainer, garlic powder is okay if you are not cooking for a restaurant.

It's pretty privileged to just expect people to have chopping skills, a good knife, a cutting board, and all these things when they have already explained they are just getting into cooking. I want you to be very careful, because all those digits are very important in gaming.

So what you did there with the fresh garlic thrown into the spaghetti, is pretty awesome. And it's one kind of garlic flavor, but you get another kind from cooking it. You apparently also get different kinds of garlic flavor dependent on how you slice it, how long you cook it and at what temperature etc.

The most important thing about cooking at home, is to not be afraid. I sense no fear in you, and I admire and appreciate that. Keep trying things, if you like them, maybe write them down so you can do it again. Pay attention to details like temperature and time, in a general way, so you can recreate amazing discoveries.

Also recipes makes it easy, and try that chicken thing I posted up the thread, it's so easy and it tastes like a restaurant every time

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Also how did the eggs taste once they came out of the freezer? :evilbuddy:

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I was going to throw this out there, I think it's great to think about cooking backwards, instead of forwards. Like think about things that you've had before, and then try to build them backward. If you start out worrying about technique and ingredients, and equipment, and flavor hahaha, you're just going to limit yourself.

You only get one trip around this merry, do interesting things.

That being said, it's good to know the rudimentary ingredients/seasoninhd og things that you like the taste of, cuz then you can understand what's coming from where, and build poo poo from an unexpected place. Now you're cooking with FUSIOn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Thank you for my drunk posting *hic* smoke weed everydai