Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Wisdom saves and perception checks are massively more common than anything to do with Int, and Jack of All Trades/Expertise mostly obviates the need for marginal bonuses to skills but if you really like some of the Int skills then it's not a massive difference.

uh its more me just trying to fill party holes rather than being particularly married to int skills. alright, I guess I'll bump wisdom thanks for the advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah it's not crazy to have someone with a positive int modifier, but not essential either. Wisdom savings throws are used for some pretty nasty mental effects, so be ready for that!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Madmarker posted:

uh its more me just trying to fill party holes

my kinda rp

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Madmarker posted:

uh its more me just trying to fill party holes rather than being particularly married to int skills. alright, I guess I'll bump wisdom thanks for the advice

Int Skills are really the only holes there are to a party with no high Int. AFAIK there's no group debilitating spells that hit int that might gently caress the whole party at once, and I think Intellect devourers can only murder one of you at a time.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Intellect Devourers have a 1/3 chance of loving up anyone not a Wizard as an action. How lethal they are is almost entirely a function of whether you know they're coming and how many the DM drops on you at once; slightly better saves barely make a dent here.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

mango sentinel posted:

Int Skills are really the only holes there are to a party with no high Int. AFAIK there's no group debilitating spells that hit int that might gently caress the whole party at once, and I think Intellect devourers can only murder one of you at a time.

Synaptic Static would like to say hi but yeah there's very few int saves out there, period.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Phantasmal Force is a pretty strong Int-save spell, but it's an illusion, so D&D treats it as "this can be ignored by PCs unless you want a comedy scene."

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Clue me in on warlock multiclassing, here.

I have pact slots (from Warlock) and I have non-pact spell slots (from the multiclass spell table).

I can cast any spell I have with either slot.

When I cast a spell using a pact slot, it casts at the highest level of that pact slot, capped at my highest non-pact slot for non-Warlock spells.

When I cast a spell using a non-pact slot, it casts as that slot, even if casting a Warlock spell.

Cantrips scale to total character level.

I recover all pact slots on any rest.

I recover non-pact slots based on whichever non-Warlock classes I have and their class-specific recovery methods.

Is that all right?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Clue me in on warlock multiclassing, here.

I have pact slots (from Warlock) and I have non-pact spell slots (from the multiclass spell table).

I can cast any spell I have with either slot.

When I cast a spell using a pact slot, it casts at the highest level of that pact slot, capped at my highest non-pact slot for non-Warlock spells.

When I cast a spell using a non-pact slot, it casts as that slot, even if casting a Warlock spell.

Cantrips scale to total character level.

I recover all pact slots on any rest.

I recover non-pact slots based on whichever non-Warlock classes I have and their class-specific recovery methods.

Is that all right?

That appears correct.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
This is why I don't multiclass warlock and other casters. I just can't.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Toshimo posted:

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here, but all a spell cares about regarding slots is the level of slot you're casting it with, and not where the slot is coming from or any other considerations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here, but all a spell cares about regarding slots is the level of slot you're casting it with, and not where the slot is coming from or any other considerations.

So, if I have enough warlock levels to have level 3 pact slots, but only enough non-warlock levels to have level 2 non-pact slots, I can cast my non-warlock spells in my pact slots as level 3?

Ferret
Oct 9, 2003

Toshimo posted:

So, if I have enough warlock levels to have level 3 pact slots, but only enough non-warlock levels to have level 2 non-pact slots, I can cast my non-warlock spells in my pact slots as level 3?

Yes.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Toshimo posted:

Yes, and the opposite is also true (upcasting Warlock spells using non-pact slots).

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Novum posted:

This is why I don't multiclass warlock and other casters.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I'd argue it's simpler to MC Warlock than other spellcasters because the pact slots are kept as a separate short rest resource, rather than having you recalculate every level how many daily slots you have total, and if you ought to be able to learn certain spells yet.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Conspiratiorist posted:

if you ought to be able to learn certain spells yet.
Spells known is always per class. A level 3 wizard level 3 bard gets level 2 wizard and level 2 bard spells, not level 5. They can upcast to their level 5 slots though.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Splicer posted:

A level 3 wizard level 3 bard gets level 2 wizard and level 2 bard spells.

Reread that sentence and you'll get what I mean.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

But... Sorcery points.

:psydwarf:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Think I’m going to do some warforged coffeelock bullshit for the Ravnica AL campaign unless they errata that bullshit or change the races. BLST-0 will be glorious but I’ll need to dive into this MC sorcery point fuckery more.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Kaysette posted:

Think I’m going to do some warforged coffeelock bullshit for the Ravnica AL campaign unless they errata that bullshit or change the races. BLST-0 will be glorious but I’ll need to dive into this MC sorcery point fuckery more.

Well...

escalator dropdown posted:

yes, clearly errata and clarifications can be handled via twitter rather than proper errata/updates, this couldn’t possibly cause confusion

https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/596189921318023168?s=21

https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/1029177242985742337?s=21

Not so much an errata but an “alternative reading of the rules in case someone tries a coffeelock,” so cross your fingers that your AL DM doesn’t read Crawford’s twitter, I guess.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why is it called a coffeelock?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

escalator dropdown posted:

Well...

Not so much an errata but an “alternative reading of the rules in case someone tries a coffeelock,” so cross your fingers that your AL DM doesn’t read Crawford’s twitter, I guess.

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking might make it into the S8 FAQ for AL. Even without the no long rest cheese sorlock is still v good so it isn’t a big deal. I always play with the same DM so I’d run it by him first and promise not to be a huge dick about it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Subjunctive posted:

Because you're avoiding long rests.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Subjunctive posted:

Warlocks regain their spell slots on a short rest; Sorcerer can eat any spell slots to generate sorcery points, which can use to create more spell slots.

Coffeelock got its name from the fact that you never want to take a long rest, because doing so would wipe your bonus spell slots. Instead, you take only short rests to recover warlock spells, and then eat them for sorcery points that turn into bonus Sorcerer spell slots. A sorlock can gain a lot of spells per day this way, but you also never get to sleep, hence coffeelock. Usually this required being an elf to get around the consequences of sleep deprivation, but there's also an Invocation now that lets anybody from any race get away with not sleeping. Also Warforged as superior mechanical beings have none of the weaknesses of frail meatbags and therefor don't require sleep either.

fake edit: im slow

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Crazy.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
How bad and dumb is it to take a Vuman Cleric/Rogue who goes full-on healbot by smashing people in the face with a healing kit (eventually as a bonus action)?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Clerics already have a Bonus Action heal, that they don't need to lose 3 levels of spellcasting for, and even works at range.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

lightrook posted:

Warlocks regain their spell slots on a short rest; Sorcerer can eat any spell slots to generate sorcery points, which can use to create more spell slots.

Coffeelock got its name from the fact that you never want to take a long rest, because doing so would wipe your bonus spell slots. Instead, you take only short rests to recover warlock spells, and then eat them for sorcery points that turn into bonus Sorcerer spell slots. A sorlock can gain a lot of spells per day this way, but you also never get to sleep, hence coffeelock. Usually this required being an elf to get around the consequences of sleep deprivation, but there's also an Invocation now that lets anybody from any race get away with not sleeping. Also Warforged as superior mechanical beings have none of the weaknesses of frail meatbags and therefor don't require sleep either.

fake edit: im slow

If a Warlock multiclasses into another spellcasting class, and, according to RAW, "can use the spell slots you gain from the Pact Magic feature to cast spells you know or have prepared from classes with the Spellcasting class feature," do those spells get autocast at the corresponding spell slot level on the Warlock spell chart?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Yes.

Why wouldn't they?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Clerics already have a Bonus Action heal, that they don't need to lose 3 levels of spellcasting for, and even works at range.

Understood. Rolling up a Medpack-slappin' dude right now.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Note that you can't use Fast Hands in conjunction with Healer's 1d6+4 healing action, as that's a function of the Feat and not of the Item.

Stabilizing into 1 HP works just fine with Fast Hands since that's a rider effect on one of the Healer's Kit standard uses.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Note that you can't use Fast Hands in conjunction with Healer's 1d6+4 healing action, as that's a function of the Feat and not of the Item.

Stabilizing into 1 HP works just fine with Fast Hands since that's a rider effect on one of the Healer's Kit standard uses.

v0v

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/525714673614602241

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Yes, you can use them as a bonus action, which does this:

Healer's Kit. This kit is a leather pouch containing bandages, salves, and splints. The kit has ten uses. As an action, you can expend one use of the kit to stabilize a creature that has 0 hit points, without needing to make a Wisdom (Medicine) check.

With Healer, that means giving the stabilized creature 1 HP, which is very useful.

But the 1d6+4 heal ability of the Healer feat doesn't come from the item. It's not using the item.

You can always ask your DM to houserule otherwise, of course.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I really wanna do my faewild campaign now that my life has some stability in it again but ugh, I don't trust roll20 to give me players that will return the love anymore.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Some of these are hilarious:

So basically you become a living Avatar of that one spell, and as long as anyone in the multiverse knows that spell and casts it, you can pop out in physical form and run around.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Until an epic rogue comes along and steals your connection with the spell, at least.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I have a question - out of combat, do you require a healer's kit or similar to stabilize a dying ally? My poor party got space-dunked and had three bleeding out. Once it was over I allowed them to roll medicine to stabilize the downed party members before resting, but I'm wondering if I now was extremely generous to them as they didn't have any healing kits or healing spells left?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The Medicine skill has a whopping 2 uses listed: identifying illness and stabilising people. Being able to do that isn't your DM "letting you." That's the purpose of the skill. :v:

A Healer's Kit lets you do it upto 10 times without the check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Dragonatrix posted:

The Medicine skill has a whopping 2 uses listed: identifying illness and stabilising people. Being able to do that isn't your DM "letting you." That's the purpose of the skill. :v:

A Healer's Kit lets you do it upto 10 times without the check.

Awesome, then the DM (me) pulled rules out of thin air that happened to be completely accurate