Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Can someone explain me why don't network switches usually have a power on/off button?

What would the point be I guess
bump it and knock 48 people offline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why would you ever want them racked up but not powered on?

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
<switch> uptime is 2 years, 26 weeks, 4 days, 7 hours, 8 minutes
<switch> uptime is 4 years, 12 weeks, 5 days, 20 hours, 35 minutes
<switch> uptime is 4 years, 49 weeks, 1 day, 23 hours, 26 minutes
<switch> uptime is 6 years, 24 weeks, 4 days, 8 hours, 43 minutes
<switch> uptime is 7 years, 47 weeks, 1 day, 22 hours, 19 minutes

Why would would a switch need a button that never gets pushed?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Filthy Lucre posted:

Why would would a switch need a button that never gets pushed?

Sometimes I just want to disrupt 24 people's network connection at the same time ok

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
It just feels wrong to abruptly unplug the power of a 4-5 figure live device I guess.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

They generally don't have spinning disks, and aren't constantly writing data, which are the main things that can go wrong when you yank power on a device.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

As above, they generally don't do that much - they boot the OS from flash and then load the config, and the whole thing lives in RAM. Routers are starting to have shutdown buttons on them now though.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

George H.W. oval office posted:

The DNS haiku has reared it’s ugly head twice now in the last couple days.

Of course it was a static entry on the server pointing to a demoted DC. I hate hate hate static entries so much

Some chucklehead created a DNS record for localhost.company.com that doesn't resolve to the loopback address so we can't use "localhost" on any machine that has company.com in the search domain. Nobody can tell me why it was created, and we can't remove it unless we can prove it won't break anything.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

SamDabbers posted:

Some chucklehead created a DNS record for localhost.company.com that doesn't resolve to the loopback address so we can't use "localhost" on any machine that has company.com in the search domain. Nobody can tell me why it was created, and we can't remove it unless we can prove it won't break anything.

This is truly baffling.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

SamDabbers posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahhahahahahah

Hoooly poo poo this is so good

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

"You can't make any changes until you prove that it won't break anything."

Good luck with your "never make changes again" approach.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 15, 2018

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Set up a pdns recursor daemon on every host and write in a lua handler for localhost.company.com that immediately returns 127.0.0.1 and maintain eye contact.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

SamDabbers posted:

orange sky posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahhahahahahah

E: Look at what that DNS record resolves to, check your logs to see what's connecting to it, go unfuck the configuration on those boxes.

nullfunction fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 15, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The hosts file should be checked before the request even goes out to DNS, so that's a strange one

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Finalized my travel to MS Ignite. Detouring into Houston on Sunday to go to the NY Giants game then flying to Orlando that night. Flying home Friday morning since its my wife's birthday and I missed it the past couple years due to this conference.

Interested in a goon meetup and if anyone wants to hit up Disney one night I can bring in a couple guests with my passes.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Last year we played hooky on Friday and hit up Animal Kingdom for the day. I bet my boss wants to do the same again this year. I don't fly out until Saturday afternoon though, I like to stop at Disney Springs in the morning and hit Morimoto's for one last meal on the company card before I head home. This year though I turn around and head back to Orlando 6 days later for our 9 day WDW trip with the family.

edit: I was wrong, they're not limiting booze, "one drink at a time" is the clarification.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 15, 2018

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Do all of these vendors independently choose to call their conferences Ignite, or is there some Ignite org that works with each of them? AWS Ignite, Palo Alto Ignite, Microsoft Ignite, maybe others?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SamDabbers posted:

While really stupid, it shouldn't actually create problems unless the local resolver is retarded or misconfigured, it should always check hosts before using DNS and hosts should always have an entry for localhost.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

AWS is re:Invent not Ignite :cmon:. Also I am going again this year for some reason, anyone else?

the reason is to get a paid week in Vegas

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Look at all you with your fancy travel destinations I'm gonna be in fuckin Midland Texas the last week of August. Its expensive as gently caress with nothing there.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

tomapot posted:

Finalized my travel to MS Ignite. Detouring into Houston on Sunday to go to the NY Giants game then flying to Orlando that night. Flying home Friday morning since its my wife's birthday and I missed it the past couple years due to this conference.

Interested in a goon meetup and if anyone wants to hit up Disney one night I can bring in a couple guests with my passes.

I'll be there! I was pondering making an Ignite thread, or should we just keep it here

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Ignite will be my first conference. I'm pretty excited about it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Kensei created an #ignite2018 channel in slack if anyone wants to do a meetup.

https://join.slack.com/t/somethinga...Mjk4NDY1ZGNiNmQ

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
First day was a goddamn whirlwind. This is going to be quite a transition from in house to MSP.

They use freshdesk and keseya and it seems ok. I was also assured engineering project work is my target after the helpdesk period so my rage has subsided a bit.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Filthy Lucre posted:

Don't show this to your local InfoSec auditor. The salivation alone will start breaking equipment.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Don't show this to your local InfoSec auditor. The salivation alone will start breaking equipment.

Those are my honeypot switches, they just happen to also be a core part of the network. Two birds, one stone.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Charlotte Hornets posted:

It just feels wrong to abruptly unplug the power of a 4-5 figure live device I guess.

in a well actually fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 16, 2018

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Docjowles posted:

AWS is re:Invent not Ignite :cmon:. Also I am going again this year for some reason, anyone else?

I’ll be at Re:Invent this year as well. I asked to go, though I don’t really know why.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’ll be at Re:Invent this year as well. I asked to go, though I don’t really know why.

I know where your new avatar came from, and it is goddam amazing :allears:

Would theoretically be down for a Vegas goon meet but in practice I had about 5 seconds of free time per day last year and I wanted to use those for introvert downtime.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

nullfunction posted:

E: Look at what that DNS record resolves to, check your logs to see what's connecting to it, go unfuck the configuration on those boxes.

Collateral Damage posted:

While really stupid, it shouldn't actually create problems unless the local resolver is retarded or misconfigured, it should always check hosts before using DNS and hosts should always have an entry for localhost.

Some of the machines in question are mainframe LPARs, and they either don't have a HOSTS file or it's empty. Also, they're under such heavy change control that I can't easily go in and fix this. It was easier to change my code to use 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

skipdogg posted:

I like to stop at Disney Springs...

Why do people do this? It's just... shopping...???

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Matt Zerella posted:

First day was a goddamn whirlwind. This is going to be quite a transition from in house to MSP.

They use freshdesk and keseya and it seems ok. I was also assured engineering project work is my target after the helpdesk period so my rage has subsided a bit.

Kaseya is pretty cool, the only real problem with it is that it's agent based and there is a couple things out there that cause the agent to hang. Kaseya's official work around is to reboot the server when you can't force kill it (it hangs on 'stopping' usually)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

AlternateAccount posted:

Why do people do this? It's just... shopping...???

Morimoto's to eat. Souvenir shop before I go home. I grab the kids some candy from Goofy's, and some stuff from the big Disney store for my wife and friends. We're big Disney fans, so I get that most people don't understand.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Kaseya is pretty cool, the only real problem with it is that it's agent based and there is a couple things out there that cause the agent to hang. Kaseya's official work around is to reboot the server when you can't force kill it (it hangs on 'stopping' usually)

I'm slowly getting used to it. They have a bunch of automations in there too.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

skipdogg posted:

Morimoto's to eat. Souvenir shop before I go home. I grab the kids some candy from Goofy's, and some stuff from the big Disney store for my wife and friends. We're big Disney fans, so I get that most people don't understand.

This guy I used to work with would go every year to Disneyland with his wife as grown adults and it was weird. Then he had a kid so now its not as weird.

I also have somebody I went to high school with that later came out as a gay bear type dude and he goes solo and takes pictures with all the people in costumes and its just amusing.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Docjowles posted:

Yes. I'll be at re:Invent and I'm not excited about it. I mean, not having to do work for a week is kinda exciting, but going to a conference is not. I generally avoid these things, but my company expects everyone to go to 1 or 2 conferences a year.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

skipdogg posted:

I don't get it. I mean I would go to Morimoto's for sure, but I have zero love for Disney. My in-laws live in Florida and are retired, they get passes and are there multiple times A WEEK. It's completely bizarre and inscrutable to me.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm slowly getting used to it. They have a bunch of automations in there too.

Yeah. I don't have much access or visibility into that, but it's got the capacity for a lot of automation and reporting too. We got rid of Altiris and WSUS years ago and use Kaseya for all Windows patching (servers and workstations) as well.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
My Disney obsessed friend got married there and my wife and I were in the wedding party. The experience ruined Disney world for me, now we avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Mrs. Schadenboner just texted me that she's reconsidering the wisdom of going to Disney World next year (in loving July) in favor of "just lying on a beach for a week somewhere".

:peanut:

E: Just to clarify that we have a roughly Disney-aged kid (even though he's not real big on any of their stuff), we're not one of those creepy Disney people.