Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Saw this in the local news recently..
(Link has video that autoplays)

quote:

'Slavery Towers': Feds Say Immigrant Workers Forced to Build Luxury Condos in San Jose

Immigrant workers from Mexico were allegedly locked in shipping containers after spending the day working to build luxury condos in the South Bay.

The United States Department of Labor said the workers were held against their will and forced to work for nothing. The incident is allegedly tied to the Silvery Towers being built in downtown San Jose.

On Thursday, critics and unions called the development the "Slavery Towers." The developer in response has shut down the project.

Union members angry at the news that at least 22 of their coworkers were actually victims of human trafficking. US Dept. of Labor officials said that after work, the men were locked in a shipping container.

Federal agents two weeks ago arrested the unlicensed sub-contractor who hired them. Video obtained by NBC Bay Area shows a related raid in Hayward.

Federal officials said the workers were never paid for helping build the Silvery Towers luxury condos.

"It's a dark day when workers are treated like dogs," said Will Smith, with IBEW Local 332.

The developer, Full Power Properties, paid the lost wages even though they were not obliged to do so. Those who have spoken to the workers said the sub-contractor threatened violence on them or their families in Mexico at the hands of drug cartels if they sounded the alarm.

Watchdog groups said those kinds of threats are not rare in Santa Clara County.

"We see that in a lot of our trafficking cases, where there's those kinds of threats of cartels," said Ruth Silver Taube, South Bay Coalition to End Human Trafficking.

In a statement, the developer said they fired the sub-contractor immediately when they heard the allegations last year. The developer was not fined for any wrongdoing.

A San Jose councilman who showed up Thursday said this is not the city's proudest moment.

"It is extremely embarrassing, not just devastating," San Jose Councilman Raul Peralez said. "It's embarrassing to have this happen under our watch."

Full Power Properties said Thursday was just a misplaced publicity stunt by the unions. NBC Bay Area was scheduled to speak with some of the workers who were allegedly victimized, but they are still fearful of what might happen to them or their families back home.

Crappy Construction: Literal Slave Labor Edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

https://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/worlds-largest-tree-house-stands-10-stories-tall.html

I saw this thing on tv last night. I only watched about 5 minutes of it, but they interviewed the builder. I'll paraphrase... "It's a solid structure. If it was a small piece of wood I'd use 1 nail, if it was bigger I'd use 2 or 3 nails. I'd use nails until it was solid. Some pieces of wood are just full of nails."

I guess this guy just started nailing pieces of wood together until it turned into this.

Do you not need permits or inspections for something like this?
I think I built that in Minecraft once

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Love the hose clamp slices! Those are service lugs on a power panel. What's the story here? Stealing power from a neighbor?

Don't know the story, just found the picture

And look in the middle: hose clamps with an allthread "jumper".

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
This thing is installed in a vacation house my family is staying at this weekend.

Waist-high hanging light, perfectly positioned so people unfamiliar with the house can walk the gently caress into it while trying to find the light switch.

However, I forgive the house this flaw, for it has this thing which loving rules

That's a two-sided spice shelf on drawer tracks. It's a genius use of space and I love it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Javid posted:

That's a two-sided spice shelf on drawer tracks. It's a genius use of space and I love it.

I've seen very tall versions of this with baskets which suck because everything falls over when it hits the end of the tracks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Kanish posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/97i674/diy_gone_wrong/

at what point would a normal homeowner realize this wasnt going great??

I do enjoy the guy trying to knock protruding pieces of tile off and not being able to.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
"This house has a Ronald McDonald themed bathroom." "Like, there's a picture of a McDonald's clown in it? BFD." "No, this is a goddamn shrine. You gotta see it." "All right, fin- ""

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
C L O W N S

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I have a fundamental issue with clocks in the Pooping Room.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I have a fundamental issue with Ronald McDonald happily waving at me while I poop, and also with a sign suggesting that my colon is clogged with clowns and they should exit through my "back door".

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I have issues with being surrounded by happily smiling McDonalds mascots when it's their food that's making me constipated.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Go to Taco Bell once in a while instead.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is the idea to scare the poop out of you?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Is the idea to scare the poop out of you?

Maybe to prevent people from hogging the bathroom. Or from jerkin' it in there, but that could backfire.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
CLOWNS

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:capitalism:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The height placement (given its depth) of the lower glass shelf makes me cringe the most.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

And you know none of that stuff is ever cleaned. Fecal matter over everything.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My buddy is an HVAC tech and found this on a recent jobsite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXUcSVwTTqI

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

https://twitter.com/scarytoilet/status/1030833546859044869

https://twitter.com/scarytoilet is a good follow on twitter. If you twitter.

:edit:

Dr. Despair posted:

Not a very work safe Twitter account, but p. Good still

Good catch. It can definitely be :nws:, so beware.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 18, 2018

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I have a fundamental issue with Ronald McDonald happily waving at me while I poop, and also with a sign suggesting that my colon is clogged with clowns and they should exit through my "back door".

Like any red blooded American you should have pictures of Jesus starring at you while you poop.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Not a very work safe Twitter account, but p. Good still

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The height placement (given its depth) of the lower glass shelf makes me cringe the most.

If it was me, I would knock a toy into the toilet once a week.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

my colon is clogged with clowns and they should exit through my "back door".

Ah yes the rare Clown Anus.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

the shelves look like level geometry from the old Tomb Raider games

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

FCKGW posted:

My buddy is an HVAC tech and found this on a recent jobsite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXUcSVwTTqI

Are those supposed to be air filters or what?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It looks like they didn't have the correct filters, so just strapped some random piece they had in instead? I don't know much about HVAC but that does look like a filter, just not at all fitted or installed properly.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Javid posted:

This thing is installed in a vacation house my family is staying at this weekend.

Waist-high hanging light, perfectly positioned so people unfamiliar with the house can walk the gently caress into it while trying to find the light switch.

However, I forgive the house this flaw, for it has this thing which loving rules

I bought and installed these things and love them:

They come with self-tapping screws, so you just attach them directly to the shelf. They're not cheap, but they're useful enough that I didn't mind the cost.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spog posted:

I have a fundamental issue with clocks in the Pooping Room.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Enjoy your stay here, make a stop,
Just please think of the next in shop.

Does that work?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nielsm posted:

Enjoy your stay here, make a stop,
Just please think of the next in shop.

Does that work?

More like

Only sit here for a bit
For others also need to poo poo

(Only put nicer but I'm not a poet so :shrug:)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

tetrapyloctomy posted:

They come with self-tapping screws, so you just attach them directly to the shelf. They're not cheap, but they're useful enough that I didn't mind the cost.

want.

got a link pal?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Be honest: how may times have you dumped an entire container of flour on your head?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

sneakyfrog posted:

want.

got a link pal?
Had to do a little bit of searching, couldn't remember. It's Vertical Spice. Like I said -- not cheap, but totally worth it in the end, the large (5.5") ones in particular ...

spog posted:

Be honest: how may times have you dumped an entire container of flour on your head?
... specifically because of this. The Oxo containers have never popped open, but they were a lot harder to get at before I put these in. They'd be super-easy for a handy-ish person to make, too: the bottoms are on regular slide-out rails, the uprights are just clear plastic, and the black bands are like long hair-ties. (If they weren't stretchy you couldn't fit things in the sides, and if they weren't there everything would fall out.)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

tetrapyloctomy posted:

like I said -- not cheap, but totally worth it in the end, the large (5.5") ones in particular ...

me_irl?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Had to do a little bit of searching, couldn't remember. It's Vertical Spice. Like I said -- not cheap, but totally worth it in the end, the large (5.5") ones in particular ...
... specifically because of this. The Oxo containers have never popped open, but they were a lot harder to get at before I put these in. They'd be super-easy for a handy-ish person to make, too: the bottoms are on regular slide-out rails, the uprights are just clear plastic, and the black bands are like long hair-ties. (If they weren't stretchy you couldn't fit things in the sides, and if they weren't there everything would fall out.)

thanks pal

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
No problem. You do need to consider that could could be adding dead space with these if there's a lip on the cabinet face that these have to clear. It's something like an inch or half an inch on mine. So if you use these the whole way across, that's a two-inch by (cabinet depth) amount of space that you can't use anymore. If you do a double-tier unit it doesn't matter, but those shelves on top for me technically decrease the usable space. It just so happens that they're so much more loving convenient than what was there that I don't care about losing three and a half square feet of space on a 22" cabinet.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Discussion > DIY & Hobbies > Crappy Construction Tales: pictures of Jesus starring at you while you poop.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sounds like several of you have an atypical case of Circusitis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfbVbBOj_2Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Today in house hunting: possible cult compound