Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Well they kept you hidden after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

maffew buildings posted:

Did they hide all the really fat Seabees for that event?

Did they make you head bee guy?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That’s the whole command. It’s a tiny shop.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Stultus Maximus posted:

Did they make you head bee guy?

Just one more weekend of making a school kids do a car wash fundraiser and infidelity charge and I'm there

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

That’s the whole command. It’s a tiny shop.

Head bee guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPFoIETy0dw

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

maffew buildings posted:

Just one more weekend of making a school kids do a car wash fundraiser and infidelity charge and I'm there

Chief season is great.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

maffew buildings posted:

Did they hide all the really fat Seabees for that event?

They built a wall around them.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Null Integer posted:

They built a wall around them.

And made the Army pay for it

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Nick Soapdish posted:

And made the Army pay for it

You mean hired contractors to do it

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

You mean hired contractors to do it

(I was going for a play on "And Mexico will pay for it")

Yes, of course, no actual military unit builds things CONUS...or OCONUS.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Nick Soapdish posted:

(I was going for a play on "And Mexico will pay for it")

Yes, of course, no actual military unit builds things CONUS...or OCONUS.

Yes, but you'll need to come at 4 anyway since we're just going to re-do the focsle 12 times so we can look busy while the contractors do all the real work anyway. Oh and Saturday and Sunday.

God I wish this wasn't something that literally happened last time I was on a ship.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

i mean just get rid of Seabees already tbh

I remember we had a Seabee officer at our command, engineer or whatever those are. Chill dude. I asked him why they don’t do any form of maintenance or upkeep on base aside from the mud run and annual haunted house and he pretty much said they’re just garbage at building or doing anything other than absolutely temporary installments

I’ll just always laugh at Djibouti having local nationals working hard in the grueling heat laying asphalt and such while the hundreds of Seabees chilled in the big a/c room drinking beer. They did build the platform for the Xmas tree though

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

i mean just get rid of Seabees already tbh

I remember we had a Seabee officer at our command, engineer or whatever those are. Chill dude. I asked him why they don’t do any form of maintenance or upkeep on base aside from the mud run and annual haunted house and he pretty much said they’re just garbage at building or doing anything other than absolutely temporary installments

I’ll just always laugh at Djibouti having local nationals working hard in the grueling heat laying asphalt and such while the hundreds of Seabees chilled in the big a/c room drinking beer. They did build the platform for the Xmas tree though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPFoIETy0dw

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Hello Navy goons.

My son (in the navy) is assigned to shore duty. He recently was temporarily assigned to a ship for an exercise or training or something (45 days). He's just found out that they're considering deploying him on the same ship (7 months). He'd like to know if there's any way to decline this gracefully. My gut (I was in the Air Force) tells me that he's boned.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Oh yeah. Your son is likely hosed if he's filling in a critical gap on the ship and his shore command doesn't have him as a 1 for 1 billet. Has he been in for long, or will this be his first deployment?

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
This would be his first deployment. He's been in for less than 2 years,

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Davethulhu posted:

Hello Navy goons.

My son (in the navy) is assigned to shore duty. He recently was temporarily assigned to a ship for an exercise or training or something (45 days). He's just found out that they're considering deploying him on the same ship (7 months). He'd like to know if there's any way to decline this gracefully. My gut (I was in the Air Force) tells me that he's boned.

Yup.

The Navy will count this sea deployment against his shore duty time too!

Yay! #lifeaccelerated

I’m not bitter I swear

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I thought y’all joined because you liked botes, you ought to be overjoyed and feel honored when this happens

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

MrMojok posted:

I thought y’all joined because you liked botes, you ought to be overjoyed and feel honored when this happens

The best QOL ships by miles to be on are owned by the Army and the Navy's ground combat units treat their guys somewhat like adults.

The secret to the military is to do the opposite of what everyone else is doing, that way you're left alone with the freedom to actually just do your job.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Wait navy ground combat treated like adults? Do you mean marines, seabees, or SEAL/EOD? Cause i don’t think you have a good idea what goes on in the navy’s army if you think marines are treated like adults, and you definitely haven’t been reading any of our local seabee posts if you think that about the bees.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Nice! posted:

Wait navy ground combat treated like adults? Do you mean marines, seabees, or SEAL/EOD? Cause i don’t think you have a good idea what goes on in the navy’s army if you think marines are treated like adults, and you definitely haven’t been reading any of our local seabee posts if you think that about the bees.

Pfff, being restricted to walking around with five liberty buddies at a time and only permitted to consume one alcoholic beverage a day is just the cost of being such bad rear end shock troopers.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The Seabees attached to the USNO seem happy and content while rehabbing our lounge area. Kinda slow but they gutted the building and are doing everything themselves.

Apparently also redid the veeps hoops court but nobody cares about that.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

My former XO got drunk and wandered around the woods on Oki naked and got the triad fired. And our old CMC who spent a lot of time talking about how rape keeps him up at night got retired early due to allegations of sexual harassment. These are not atypical stories.

Ask those Seabees about: battalion life, stupid people they met, stupidest things they saw and general quality of construction they were a part of

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah I'm sure he meant marines.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Davethulhu posted:

This would be his first deployment. He's been in for less than 2 years,

Tell him to make sure he's got his favorite games/books/hard drive filled with movies ready to go then. If he's really motivated and he does end up going, he can get his ESWS pin while on the ship. If is a ship with an air detachment and they allow it, maybe even his wings.

Hopefully people help him out and get him ready, but it's the Navy. Semper Gumby.

And Maffew? I can't lie, the fact that it was your old XO who did that still makes me shake my head.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Yeah we weren't even all that surprised overall, it was like "ok this is a logical progression for our general stupidity". It's a high bar but I expect it cleared before my EAOS.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

My former XO got drunk and wandered around the woods on Oki naked and got the triad fired. And our old CMC who spent a lot of time talking about how rape keeps him up at night got retired early due to allegations of sexual harassment. These are not atypical stories.

Ask those Seabees about : battalion life, stupid people they met, stupidest things they saw and general quality of construction they were a part of

Operation “Ask a Bee” is a go. I’ll go find one in their natural habitat the smoke pit.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Some cats are super about it and will talk up all things NCF, over overstate construction abilities so be advised, but generally personnel are decently realistic about how things go down

It'll go better than when I told you to order mahu, promise

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Some cats are super about it and will talk up all things NCF, over overstate construction abilities so be advised, but generally personnel are decently realistic about how things go down

It'll go better than when I told you to order mahu, promise

gently caress, that was the first time a teenage girl laughed in my face since high school.

Emptyvilles. Nobody home.
Finally ran into a skinny tall Bee.

“Shore duty rocks but im not gonna make Chief here” as he ambled away for a smoke break.
He seems pretty happy.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

The Valley Stared posted:

Tell him to make sure he's got his favorite games/books/hard drive filled with movies ready to go then. If he's really motivated and he does end up going, he can get his ESWS pin while on the ship. If is a ship with an air detachment and they allow it, maybe even his wings.

Hopefully people help him out and get him ready, but it's the Navy. Semper Gumby.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I passed this one on specifically.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Davethulhu posted:

She’s the best btw.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

LingcodKilla posted:

She’s the best btw.

Not an empty quote

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Dude in for less than 2 years was on shore duty?

Wow.

edit : hope he enjoys cranking during his deployment as a much needed slot.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
I always feel bad for the kids sent directly from imagery “C” school to NGA headquarters in Springfield. The billion +++ dollar building with its massive foodcourt, ultra modern design, and systems and software that are a decade ahead of the fleet may not be preparing them well for their eventual follow on sea duty. They will have a baller resume though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Better than a AT being sent to a NOSC as an office drone straight from A school.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Davethulhu posted:

No problem. This is stuff that should be common knowledge, and yet people don't think to pass it on. Movies and books are sometimes the only thing you have to take a little mental break from the ship.

The only other thing I have is make sure to get his address on the ship if he does go on this deployment. Getting a package is one of the best things when you're out to sea, and getting snacks from home or photos is huge.

Also, ded is right in that your son will probably have to undergo a rotation through the galley, affectionately called cranking. We're not supposed to call it that anymore. It's considered derogatory and hazing, but that's still what it's commonly called. If this happens to him, tell him to wear his goddamn ear plugs when in the scullery, because the dish washing machine is loud as gently caress, and people get in trouble for not wearing them. Also make sure that he learns how to operate the thing if he's forced into that position.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

If he’s going TAD to the ship for cruise then he shouldn’t be cranking.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Davethulu: what’s his rate? Is he stationed at an FRC and going to a carrier to work somewhere in AIMD?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

MancXVI posted:

If he’s going TAD to the ship for cruise then he shouldn’t be cranking.

Tell that to the Imagery dude that got sent cranking. I still feel bad that those ONI and Fallon Get guys got hosed since they checked into the ship and not the PHIBRON. Too bad I was the senior enlisted for N2 as a IS1 and the ship had a Senior Chief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Tell that to the Imagery dude that got sent cranking. I still feel bad that those ONI and Fallon Get guys got hosed since they checked into the ship and not the PHIBRON. Too bad I was the senior enlisted for N2 as a IS1 and the ship had a Senior Chief.

Dang, that sucks. When I was SEAOPDET we were given explicit instructions to notify our shore command if the ship tried to gently caress with us.