Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Doyle didn't know. He seemed like a right prick of a person but not the kind of guy who'd bad mouth someone who he knew had mental issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The wife and I just have three episodes left of season 4. She really loves the show and i'm glad to be watching the whole thing for the 2nd time in my life, and with someone special to me at that. :3: I haven't really seen the show since it originally aired and was brand new.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jedit posted:

Did Doyle actually know the truth? I thought it was a secret between JMS, O'Hare and Doug Netter.

Doyle was a functional alcoholic and a massive rear end in a top hat, so keep that in mind whenever considering anything he said.

Payndz posted:

Season 3 is probably the high point. Producer Doug Netter fired the original CG house in order to use a company he'd set up (and named after!) himself for season 4 onwards

Netter didn't just set up the company; he did a complete smash-and-grab job on Foundation Imaging's staff, hiring the best of them and rendering the company dead in the water. Foundation was on the brink of bankruptcy until it got the contract to work on Star Trek: Voyager.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Doyle didn't know. He seemed like a right prick of a person but not the kind of guy who'd bad mouth someone who he knew had mental issues.

Oh, he quite possibly would have - he did end up as a talk radio host, after all. But there is a difference between noticing it and being insensitive, and knowing about it and being a twat.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
"Oh, I didn't know he had a mental issue, I thought he was a nut-job. My mistake."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lycus posted:

"Oh, I didn't know he had a mental issue, I thought he was a nut-job. My mistake."

Sometimes people act on a way you or I would call mental but they're just assholes.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Timby posted:

Netter didn't just set up the company; he did a complete smash-and-grab job on Foundation Imaging's staff, hiring the best of them and rendering the company dead in the water. Foundation was on the brink of bankruptcy until it got the contract to work on Star Trek: Voyager.
And in doing so, he unwittingly set up the standard operating practice for producers in the CGI era. Some major producer was once quoted as saying he didn't consider himself to have done his job properly until he'd driven at least one VFX company into bankruptcy on each of his movies.

I once read a retrospective on Foundation, and they saw the B5 shenanigans a different way; they kept the people who were trying to push the boundaries of television VFX, while Netter took the ones whose main concern was a paycheque. (There was also allegedly some underhanded stuff going on with future Netter hires taking assets and backups while they were still employed by Foundation.) Of course, that's their version of the story! So the likes of Rob Bonchune, Mojo, John Teska and Doug Drexler stayed at FI despite the company being on the verge of closure, and went on to do some pretty amazing work on Voyager and DS9.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 16, 2018

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Payndz posted:

And in doing so, he unwittingly set up the standard operating practice for producers in the CGI era. Some major producer was once quoted as saying he didn't consider himself to have done his job properly until he'd driven at least one VFX company into bankruptcy on each of his movies.

I can't help but wonder, is it possible for the movie industry to wake up one day and find that there's not enough VFX talent to go around because everyone's been run into the ground? Wouldn't there be a point where nobody starts effects houses because there's no profit to be made, and too many existing houses went under?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I can't help but wonder, is it possible for the movie industry to wake up one day and find that there's not enough VFX talent to go around because everyone's been run into the ground? Wouldn't there be a point where nobody starts effects houses because there's no profit to be made, and too many existing houses went under?
The hardware and software are the same the world over, so they can do what the animation industry did years ago and look abroad for people who can deliver much the same product for less money. India and China have got their own VFX industries now to cater for their own (massive) markets, and if Hollywood comes knocking they won't say no.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Jedit posted:

Sometimes people act on a way you or I would call mental but they're just assholes.

I'm not inclined to give Doyle the benefit of the doubt, though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

If you can make a nickel today, why care about tomorrow?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The cruel thing about the entertainment industry is that there are more often than not, lots of people who cluster around willing to underbid their fellow workers in the hopes of one day hitting the big time, and the bulk of them never do and just waste their lives being taken advantage of.

You see similar patterns with college sports and drug dealers.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SlothfulCobra posted:

The cruel thing about the entertainment industry is that there are more often than not, lots of people who cluster around willing to underbid their fellow workers in the hopes of one day hitting the big time, and the bulk of them never do and just waste their lives being taken advantage of.

You see similar patterns with college sports and drug dealers.

And research science :toot:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
And anything where people want to do it for reasons other than just getting paid - doctors, teachers, firemen, etc.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I'm amazed at the sheer number of gangs on babylon 5. This station harbors the worst criminal elements in the galaxy and its leadership routinely chooses to ignore them, leaving it up to vigilantes

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jerry seinfel posted:

I'm amazed at the sheer number of gangs on babylon 5. This station harbors the worst criminal elements in the galaxy and its leadership routinely chooses to ignore them, leaving it up to vigilantes

Brown sector is literally miles of abandoned decks that were only used for constructing Babylon 5. It's like trying to police the worst neighbourhood imaginable, only with thousands of hidden passages, vents, and hidey-holes that nobody could ever find. Going in there with a PPG and a badge just means someone in there is getting a free PPG.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There are people who have lived in weird forgotten rooms in shopping malls for years. I figure it's like that.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I like how Earth and humanity, unlike in pretty much every other sci-fi show and game, is more of a malevolent force than anything else most of the time. It doesn't even get better with time, since they're actively trying to discredit the ISA later by manipulating history and then they go and destroy themselves

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It ties into the overall theme of the show - the unending fight between order and chaos. Although it's a little confused, politically, since fascism is all about strict order and control and Earth is always getting 'corrupted' by the chaos faction.
Let's not forget Clark turning the orbital lasers onto Earth once he'd lost, although I agree that Garibaldi sending Earth back to the dark ages is pretty awesome.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Yes, it's an enclosed space station, but it's still a quarter of a million people with ships coming and going and station security isn't there to enforce whatever the equivalent of immigration is. People probably show up on at the station and never leave.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

V-Men posted:

Yes, it's an enclosed space station, but it's still a quarter of a million people with ships coming and going and station security isn't there to enforce whatever the equivalent of immigration is. People probably show up on at the station and never leave.

This is explicitly stated by Garibaldi; People turn up hoping for a job and a new life, their credits run out, and they wind up homeless in Brown Sector.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's plausible for some kind of underground to get built up like that, but it seems like it'd take more than 2 or 3 years to happen.

Makes Garibaldi seem kinda poo poo at his job if he just started out totally ignoring a whole region of the station.

kingturnip posted:

It ties into the overall theme of the show - the unending fight between order and chaos. Although it's a little confused, politically, since fascism is all about strict order and control and Earth is always getting 'corrupted' by the chaos faction.
Let's not forget Clark turning the orbital lasers onto Earth once he'd lost, although I agree that Garibaldi sending Earth back to the dark ages is pretty awesome.

I don't think fascism is exactly based on control so much as "control over the people" is a thinly veiled excuse for wild arbitrary acts of violence. Fascist regimes tend to be a mess organizationally with competing jurisdictions and underlings fighting with each other. We didn't really see much of that aside from the fact that Clark set up a secondary military organization within the military that tried to stage a coup.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's plausible for some kind of underground to get built up like that, but it seems like it'd take more than 2 or 3 years to happen.

Makes Garibaldi seem kinda poo poo at his job if he just started out totally ignoring a whole region of the station.

The down below felt like social commentary on how people view the homeless. There are multiple instances of the characters outright admitting that they hate the homeless, ignore that they exist, and in some cases want to outright murder them. Having lived in a major city, I can confirm this is the sentiment of most people towards the homeless.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jerry Doyle was a pretty right conservative (I’m sure he would call himself a libertarian) and he brought a lot of that into the character so it makes sense he would ignore the poor until he needs to shoot them.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think fascism is exactly based on control so much as "control over the people" is a thinly veiled excuse for wild arbitrary acts of violence. Fascist regimes tend to be a mess organizationally with competing jurisdictions and underlings fighting with each other. We didn't really see much of that aside from the fact that Clark set up a secondary military organization within the military that tried to stage a coup.

And empowered the Psi-Corps to operate as a military in their own right, at least on Mars. And the Corps itself was never a unified faction...

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Just finished the first season. The only thing that bugs me about the show is the music. It's bad. Really bad. I'm enjoying the crap out of the show so far though. What the heck happened to Commander space john kerry though??? Contract dispute or something? Like here's a new commander, and I guess he's okay, but I'll miss space john kerry. :saddowns:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Just finished the first season. The only thing that bugs me about the show is the music. It's bad. Really bad. I'm enjoying the crap out of the show so far though. What the heck happened to Commander space john kerry though??? Contract dispute or something? Like here's a new commander, and I guess he's okay, but I'll miss space john kerry. :saddowns:

He was schizophrenic and had to leave the show because he was dissociating/hallucinating.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

The actor was batshit crazy.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Pick posted:

He was schizophrenic and had to leave the show because he was dissociating/hallucinating.

Awww, that sucks. I liked him. Does he come back?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Awww, that sucks. I liked him. Does he come back?

Yes but only in a limited capacity.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Here's a Youtube video of him giving a talk at a convention back in the mid-90s. I think there may be a few spoilers if you've only seen the first season, but not certain as it's been a while since I watched the video all the way through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pR5IuVptRw

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
Show still has Londo, and he's still awesome, so I'm still quite optimistic with the show. Prehensile dong and everything, Londo is my fave.

Does the music get any better? That's really the only cringey part to me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
londo is the best aspect of the show, it is impossible for you to be disappointed with that arc

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Don't like Lando just yet. Him and G'Kar have one of the best arcs on the show, but Lando is an evil piece of poo poo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Londo is the actual central character of the show, not the captain.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Wow, this is like the wrongest opinion in the history of everything.

Edit: I guess I don't remember the first season music as especially different, although most of the best music is probably yet to come.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Show still has Londo, and he's still awesome, so I'm still quite optimistic with the show. Prehensile dong and everything, Londo is my fave.

I think the composer gets better at writing music as the show goes on, but it's still a lot of synthesizers, so if that's what you're unhappy about I don't think you'll get much joy there.

That said I think Babylon 5's music is extremely fitting for the show, I love it.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
Londo is the best space bro and I would totally party with him erry day. That doesn't mean I'd trust him lol. Kosh does a thing that drives me nuts, though: Answer A or B questions with "Yes". God. Damnit. :mad:

And the cringey bit is the space battle music. I guess Trek has spoiled me, because the cheezy synth trumpets just make me lol. It's not a big deal, isn't ruining the show for me at all. I also really like how the earth government is surprisingly lovely, I wasn't expecting.

Also was that Jeff Combs towards the end of S1???? :neckbeard:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Also was that Jeff Combs towards the end of S1???? :neckbeard:

Keep and eagle eye and you'll be seeing Majel Barrett eventually too.

And Walter Koenig in a role he liked better than Chekov.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

God I love reading posts of people watching this show for the first time.