Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Jack Trades posted:

Honestly, I think that all game developers should do focus testing among nazis and then make sure to remove every part of it that nazis don't actively dislike.

Nazis probably happen to like some things that are good though. Like, idk, bratwurst and german shepherds.

I don't even think one needs to go this deep with it. At the basic level, it's just that poking fun at corporate culture is much less likely to be misconstrued because almost everyone is solidly on the same page.

As I said at some point, there's no visible subgroup of male nerds who are extremely angry about workplace safety regulations and viewed Doom 2016's satirical corporate protocols as a message from id software about how dumb OSHA is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

JerryLee posted:

I don't even think one needs to go this deep with it. At the basic level, it's just that poking fun at corporate culture is much less likely to be misconstrued because almost everyone is solidly on the same page.

As I said at some point, there's no visible subgroup of male nerds who are extremely angry about workplace safety regulations and viewed Doom 2016's satirical corporate protocols as a message from id software about how dumb OSHA is.

Well, I disagree - I think we can all agree this is due to bad, careless writing and not because everyone at Id is a nazi looking to undermine democracy and instate our glorious God-emperor Trump as president of the world forever. That was just Carmack.

So I think it's useful to elaborate on why Eternal's writing fails where 2016's succeeded, especially when the argument is frequently being used that Eternal's writing is fine because it's just doing the same thing as 2016 was even though it's... not.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

p sure old school id transported to 2018 would let you beat a nazi to death with a cop

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Pirate Jet posted:

Well, I disagree - I think we can all agree this is due to bad, careless writing and not because everyone at Id is a nazi looking to undermine democracy and instate our glorious God-emperor Trump as president of the world forever. That was just Carmack.

So I think it's useful to elaborate on why Eternal's writing fails where 2016's succeeded, especially when the argument is frequently being used that Eternal's writing is fine because it's just doing the same thing as 2016 was even though it's... not.

Oh, I didn't mean to say that you were wrong with your analysis or anything, I just don't think one even needs to go that deep to understand why DO4M's corporate satire is not apples-to-apples with DO5M's.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Listening to BFG Division right now, you guys.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Now at first glance it may seem like DoomGuy actually reloads his double barrel shotgun. This is false. The animation that plays after two shots is not a reload animation, but a representation of the weappon's complex cartridge cycling system.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
chuds will make anything about themselves, see: fc5 having one of the most interesting story themes at announcement getting loving skewered and sanitized so much by release due to chud outrage, division 2 being declared a non-political game despite occuring in washington dc during the collapse of the united states, chuds losing their poo poo at bfv featuring a woman with a (period-appropriate) aesthetic

rip and tear capitalism

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

Now at first glance it may seem like DoomGuy actually reloads his double barrel shotgun. This is false. The animation that plays after two shots is not a reload animation, but a representation of the weappon's complex cartridge cycling system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cXitbENwro

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

gently caress off man, good lord, a videogame joke falls flat and it's the end of the world and someone should probably be fired

No one needs to be or should be fired. The next game is still in development which is why it’s good to talk about it now and change the ill-timed jokes before they end up in the final game and goddamn DOOM gets taken over as some pile of maga chud bullshit and all the other players are like Caco1488.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I still don't understand this chud thing. CHUD is a funny word, was a funny movie with the guy from Home Alone, and it's used greatly in Clerks 2. This discussion on SA about jokes in Doom is the first I've heard of chud being used in a negative political context. Can't we keep CHUD the fun term it is? Plus it's an acronym, it works better capitalized I think.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So why are people making doom 5 controversial, exactly?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heavy Metal posted:

I still don't understand this chud thing. CHUD is a funny word, was a funny movie with the guy from Home Alone, and it's used greatly in Clerks 2. This discussion on SA about jokes in Doom is the first I've heard of chud being used in a negative political context. Can't we keep CHUD the fun term it is? Plus it's an acronym, it works better capitalized I think.

I think "CHUD" has become a pejorative for one group and then "genderliquid" is the insult for the other group. These are warring factions from the time beyond times, after the cities fall and the bowels of hell void themselves upon the sun-scorched earth.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Arcsquad12 posted:

So why are people making doom 5 controversial, exactly?

Apparently the phrase "mortally-challenged" is controversial.

Most people don't care, the ones that do care now are more interested in what it might mean than what it does mean, and the ones that might care probably still won't.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think "CHUD" has become a pejorative for one group and then "genderliquid" is the insult for the other group. These are warring factions from the time beyond times, after the cities fall and the bowels of hell void themselves upon the sun-scorched earth.

Cream, how many accolades can I give your posts before they lock me up for indecency? You're the Boogaloo "Turbo" Shrimp of this forum, the top tier. (He's the guy who breakdances on the ceiling in Breakin' for anyone who doesn't know)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I for one am glad id is finally coming out as pro-Nazi as clearly and inarguably shown by their joke about "mortally-challenged" something or others that is definitely not just some cheap joke about an evil corporation trying in vein to pull the wool over society's eyes so ineffectually as to be laughable, kinda like that gag in the Naked Gun where Leslie Neilsen stands in front of an exploding castle saying "Nothing to see here folks."

sieg heil

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
wtf is this poo poo

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
the modern nazis have cast a pall of terror over people

i can only hope doom eternal finally confirms that doomslayer is bj blazkowicz's great-great-grandson by rip and tearing demon hitler apart so we can get back to killing

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
also the hitler glory kill is like a minute long. the flow stops here, enjoy the view

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

this thread posted:

:bravo2:
:yikes:

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Mortally challenged is just a variant on the living impaired stuff used for undead.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

It you think that glory kills suck and Mortally Challenged is unfunny you should maybe play more babby games for babby people you poohead.

This is a thread about how sick and funny Doom is.

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014
DEMON LIVES MATTER

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I can’t wait to hear how heavy Mick’s Meshuggah riffs are going to be this time around.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

I can’t wait to hear how heavy Mick’s Meshuggah riffs are going to be this time around.

My guess?

Very.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

If it's heavier than the first five seconds of this song, it's heavy enough to do the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx51eegLTY8

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm extremely hyped about the OST and the joke videos that will come afterwards.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Stop giving me ideas, thread

I already couldn't let go of "BLT Division" and ended up making this dumb thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo_n0b9mzw0

This thread needs more of this stuff. Also:

The Kins posted:

Good evening. I'm no 3D animator, but I think I can say I've remedied this?

https://i.imgur.com/3tBd446.gifv

Retro Variant
Dark Variant

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I want some Doom 2 tracks to get referenced in Eternal like Doom 1 tracks did in Doom 2016. Hoping for Running from Evil and Shawn's Got the Shotgun.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

zaphod just got glory killed goddamn that title is brutal

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

cuntman.net posted:

zaphod just got glory killed goddamn that title is brutal

Dang.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Oh my god. :lol:

One thing I'm intrigued by is how they'll balance invasions, given how little tissue paper the demons are made of. Buff them and it'll just be deathmatch, keep them the same and you're looking at about two seconds of competition against any competent Slayer. Maybe it'll be a lives thing where you can just zerg rush the guy or something.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Safeword posted:

One thing I'm intrigued by is how they'll balance invasions, given how little tissue paper the demons are made of. Buff them and it'll just be deathmatch, keep them the same and you're looking at about two seconds of competition against any competent Slayer. Maybe it'll be a lives thing where you can just zerg rush the guy or something.

That feature reminds of Resident Evil 6 (and it ruled there actually) and in that game the invaders just got to control normal monsters that died just as fast as any other monster but they also got to respawn when they died.
Maybe the invaders will just get X number of lives?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The mortally challenged joke fell a bit flat, but only in the context that the first game pretended things were fine and then it all clearly went tits up. I'm curious as to how much time has passed between do4m and this game.

The scientist in the cutscene seem remarkably chill for having cacos flying around and the bfg10k firing off.

Also, glory kills are okay. Not my cup of tea, but they're useful when desperate for some health. Don't use them otherwise.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It'll probably be a lives thing. In addition, some of the playable monsters in Doom 2016 multiplayer had additional abilities their AI counterparts didn't (For example, the Cacodemon had a Yoshi-esque tongue for grabbing unsuspecting marines) so expect a few (un)pleasant surprises along those lines.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Remember that official UAC policy in the event of demonic invasion is to kneel and present your head for decapitation.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

today is a good day

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

tuo posted:

today is a good day

That loving vinyl design owns.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

toasterwarrior posted:

That loving vinyl design owns.

thats only the mat you put under. The actual Vinyl is red :)

tuo fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 16, 2018

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

tuo posted:

I stand happily corrected.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

"Mortally challenged" is a dumb joke because the single most immutable truth of Doom Guy's existence is that demons are very, very mortal. Almost comically so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

tuo posted:

today is a good day

tuo posted:

:flashfap:

Make sure that your stylus is a hammer from a shotgun or something like that to play that badass vinyl.