Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I saw an interview with a rally driver where he basically said he thought of people on the track as any other obstacle. He said if he thought of them as actual people he wouldn't drive as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Humerus posted:

I saw an interview with a rally driver where he basically said he thought of people on the track as any other obstacle. He said if he thought of them as actual people he wouldn't drive as well.

capitalism.txt

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

D1Sergo posted:

capitalism.txt

capitalism.txt would be running them over

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

capitalism.txt would be running them over

Don't worry they did that one too plenty.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

If you deliberately stand in the path of a race car and get hit, you deserve what you get.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

rndmnmbr posted:

If you deliberately stand in the path of a race car and get hit, you deserve what you get.

Right, but if you are a race car driver you still don't want to hit them because then you'll have to stop and won't get to finish the race. Death Race 2000 had some good ideas.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Scott Forstall posted:

this is supernatural.

yeah because one wrong turn and all those bystanders are ghosts

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

I had to think real hard about whether this was from a Wes Anderson film.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That bridge in Italy has a pretty damning history.

quote:

In December 2012 Giovanni Calvini, president of the local branch of the General Confederation of Italian Industry, Confindustria, gave a prophetic end-of-tenure interview to Genoa’s local newspaper, Il Secolo XIX.

He was generally frustrated with local authorities blocking reform and investment in infrastructure. He had one project on his mind in particular.

“In ten years the Morandi Bridge will collapse, and we will all have to queue for hours, and we will remember the name of whoever said ‘no’ [to the Gronda bypass plan],” he said.

The new government at the time had a few choice things to day about that

quote:

The day the Calvini interview was published the Genoa council held a debate.

Councillor Paolo Putti was furious.

“I take this opportunity to express my feeling of anger… and I must also say a bit of amazement,” he said.

In 10 years, Putti said, far from ruing a bridge collapse, entrepreneurs would instead wonder why they had squandered €5 billion ($7.8 billion) on the bypass.

He said the bridge could stand for another 100 years.

He pointed out that thousands were opposed to the bypass, and “we are the strong and Calvini and others are the weak”.

Putti was the local leader of the 5-Star Movement, M5S, the coalition partner to Salvini in Italy’s new government.

Hmm, I wonder if they're sticking to their guns on this one

quote:

M5S in Genoa has consistently pushed back against the Gronda bypass, which it called useless, harmful and unnecessary.

In April 2013 M5S’s ‘No Gronda’ committee posted a statement on the party website saying they had been regularly told a “tale of the imminent collapse of the Morandi Bridge” but it was a “favolette” – a fairy tale. On Tuesday, the statement mysteriously vanished from M5S’s website.

:thunk:

Surely the rest of Italy is fine and this was an isolated incident, right?

quote:

Italy’s spending on road maintenance fell by 12 per cent in the first five months of the year, according to media reports, and Italy has one of the lowest levels of roadworks in Europe.

But neglect of Italy’s roads began long before the current administration.

By the end of 2017 about 5000 kilometres of provincial roads were closed or unusable, Corriere Della Sera reported, and more than half the network had reduced speed limits due to unsafe road surfaces.

Officials were even unable to close some dangerous roads or reduce the travel speed because they couldn’t afford the road signs.

Well poo poo.

There's some more stuff about how a massive increase in heavy trucks since the EU can also be apportioned some of the blame, and some stuff about how the EU had put off assisting Italy with funding the bypass but when this all comes out in the wash there could be multiple political careers torpedoed.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
https://giant.gfycat.com/SlightBabyishBackswimmer.webm

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
We're back to posting fatal accidents I see.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

well, yeah that bridge collapse was pretty fatal

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Pull up, thread!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Memento posted:

quote:

Italy’s spending on road maintenance fell by 12 per cent in the first five months of the year, according to media reports, and Italy has one of the lowest levels of roadworks in Europe.

Austerity is a crime against civilization.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Hey remember all those "tow truck driver didn't engage the parking break" videos?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
AvE has a video out on the bridge collapse in Italy, posting it here so Sagebrush doesn't miss it, heard he's a superfan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLwf4_bXOc0

schmug
May 20, 2007

Speaking of bridges.... I can't remember if it was this thread or the CCT thread, but someone mentioned this one might have collapsed during tensioning.

Sorry, can't find a non-embedded video yet so you have to click the link, but keep your eye on the guys standing on the top of the bridge by the crane. OOPS.

NBC NEWS posted:

Videos recorded right before a pedestrian bridge collapsed near Florida International University earlier this year show a construction crew using a jack to tighten the rods that ran through a concrete support truss — work that might have caused the walkway to fall down.

Nailed it.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Jesus Christ

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

keep riding!
never stop riding!
and don't forget to burn! don't forget to burn! don't forget to BURN!
WITH FIRE!
GHOST RIDER!

schmug
May 20, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

AvE has a video out on the bridge collapse in Italy, posting it here so Sagebrush doesn't miss it, heard he's a superfan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLwf4_bXOc0

this is good poo poo...stains

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Google maps has a good rendering of the Genoa bridge if you want to see what it looked like pre-collapse (they've also incorrectly marked which span was affected) Pretty sure this will link straight to the section that fell.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.422873,8.8860005,279a,35y,20.03h,56.95t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m3!15m2!1m1!1s%2Fx%2Fsos-3ff812463babf693

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

group B was nuts and i don't mean that in a good way
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=40c_1367710483

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

schmug posted:

Speaking of bridges.... I can't remember if it was this thread or the CCT thread, but someone mentioned this one might have collapsed during tensioning.

Sorry, can't find a non-embedded video yet so you have to click the link, but keep your eye on the guys standing on the top of the bridge by the crane. OOPS.

Nailed it.

A photo taken a week before the collapse, after the prefabbed bridge was placed onto the support pillars.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Memento posted:

That bridge in Italy has a pretty damning history.

The new government at the time had a few choice things to day about that

Hmm, I wonder if they're sticking to their guns on this one

:thunk:

Well poo poo.

There's some more stuff about how a massive increase in heavy trucks since the EU can also be apportioned some of the blame, and some stuff about how the EU had put off assisting Italy with funding the bypass but when this all comes out in the wash there could be multiple political careers torpedoed.

I found those quotes about "We are strong, they are weak!" really telling, so I looked them up. The 5-Star Movement is basically the Italian equivalent of the alt-right and Trumpian Republicans.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

:siren: NEW USCSB VIDEO :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0crUd2oIjE

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

A photo taken a week before the collapse, after the prefabbed bridge was placed onto the support pillars.

Holy poo poo! I'm no bridgeologist but that looks like someone involved should go to prison.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
One of the AvE vids discussed how they moved a support for that Florida foot bridge over some feet, because it didn't fit over the traffic lanes correctly as designed. I guess they figured, "close enough"? :psyduck:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

I'm the guy standing there with no reaction, thinking to myself "good, you deserve this, greg"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Coughing Hobo posted:

I'm the guy standing there with no reaction, thinking to myself "good, you deserve this, greg"

Just need to replace him with Pai Mei and this is straight out of a kung fu training montage

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Hedenius posted:

Holy poo poo! I'm no bridgeologist but that looks like someone involved should go to prison.

I think in the GBS thread when it first happened there was a goon posting who worked at that engineering company. Wonder what they are doing now?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Zil posted:

I think in the GBS thread when it first happened there was a goon posting who worked at that engineering company. Wonder what they are doing now?

Serving fries?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Stolen from the gif thread in PYF:

https://i.imgur.com/ChcInTp.gifv

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Otteration posted:

I love this man.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/hNeX9RG.mp4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

hands made of the most pure glorious Russian asbestos

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Otteration posted:

Lol

ColonelDimak
May 1, 2007

Guardian of the Salsa

FuturePastNow posted:

Austerity is a crime against civilization.

Can't be said enough

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I love this man.

This man is a hero, and I am also impressed by how far his helmet goes when the boss knocks it off his head.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
oops wrong thread

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/fg2xygf.mp4

Captioned "at least they can fit under the next bridge now!"