Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Tafferling posted:

That bridge was a piece of poo poo since the beginning. It cost several times more in repairings than if it was demolished right after being built.
The problem is it was ALL made in concrete, suspenders cables and all. Not soon after being built it was agreed that it was a wonderful feat of static masturbation, but ultimately concrete suspenders cables are responsible for the huge maintenance costs and ultimately what hosed it over.

I was actually going to comment on the bracing and suspension a while back, but I'm not familiar with that type of design. Seems like there wouldn't be any room for movement though. Looks like it was designed with aesthetics in mind WAY more than function. And honestly I really don't care for those either.

Especially now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

schmug posted:

holy poo poo they lived?

I imagine they both got incredibly nasty cancer 2-20 years down the line

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Syncopated posted:

I would not go aboard that ship, even especially if it had 4703 new Mazdas on it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i rapidly checked to make sure htat red miata was my red miata, but it's probably a 2006 so im poo poo out of luck

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

"Vladimir Konstantinovich Bulygin, who was in charge of the naval fleet's radiation accidents, received the Hero of the Soviet Union distinction for his work."

That's a hell of an area of responsibility. Imagine that on a resume.

"And what did you do when you worked for the Northern Fleet?

"Oh, I was in charge of radiation accidents."

"You mean...cleaning them up?"

"Sometimes."

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Phanatic posted:

Vladimir Konstantinovich Bulygin
This is quite possibly the most Russian name ever.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

ethanol posted:

i rapidly checked to make sure htat red miata was my red miata, but it's probably a 2006 so im poo poo out of luck

All of the cars were shreaded because they had developed a taste for human blood.

RIP Johnson.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sverdlovsk_anthrax_leak

quote:

The produced anthrax culture had to be dried to produce a fine powder for use as an aerosol. Large filters over the exhaust pipes were the only barriers between the anthrax dust and the outside environment. On Friday, March 30 1979 a technician removed a clogged filter while drying machines were temporarily turned off. He left a written notice, but his supervisor did not write this down in the logbook as he was supposed to do. The supervisor of the next shift did not find anything unusual in the logbook and turned the machines on. In a few hours, someone found that the filter was missing and reinstalled it. The incident was reported to military command, but local and city officials were not immediately informed. Boris Yeltsin, a local Communist Party official at this time, helped cover up the accident.[1]

All workers of a ceramic plant across the street fell ill during the next few days. Almost all of them died in a week. The death toll was at least 105,[citation needed] but the exact number is unknown, as all hospital records and other evidence were destroyed by the KGB, according to former Biopreparat deputy director Ken Alibek.

also drat:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kursha-2

quote:

At the beginning of August, 1936, a firestorm started near Charus, to the south of Kursha-2. The firestorm extended to the north, growing in intensity to become an aerial or crown fire, a fierce conflagration that consumes fuel from the forest's canopy.

On the night of 2 August, an empty train came to Kursha-2. The train crew offered to evacuate children and women from the settlement, but a dispatcher ordered wood be loaded onto the train. This work hampered a departure, and the firestorm reached the settlement. There weren't enough spaces on the train to evacuate all of the panic-stricken settlers, and hundreds were forced to stay at the station. The escapees sat on the carriage couplings, the steam-engine, and the cargo of wood logs. However, when the train reached a bridge across the canal to the north from Kursha-2, they found it already ablaze. The train was burnt with all passengers.

As the result of the firestorm, 1200 died (woodcutters, their families, railwaymen, military men), and only twenty escaped, saving themselves in the pond, wells, the channel, and the unforested hill.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Hexyflexy posted:

Not enough recognition for this one :D

The line is "the front fell off", so...

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

forest fires dont gently caress around

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peshtigo_Fire

quote:

The Peshtigo fire was a massive forest fire that took place on October 8, 1871, in and around Peshtigo, Wisconsin. It was the deadliest wildfire in American history, with estimated deaths of around 1,500 people, possibly as many as 2,500.

Occurring on the same day as the more famous Great Chicago Fire, the Peshtigo fire has been largely forgotten. On the same day as the Peshtigo and Chicago fires, Holland and Manistee, Michigan (across Lake Michigan from Peshtigo), and Port Huron at the southern end of Lake Huron also had major fires, leading to various theories of mutual cause by contemporaries and later historians.

this was one of four fires to happen on that day, including the aforementioned chicago fire, with total deaths sitting at least 2,500 and possibly thousands more

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Trabant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Well, it is front wheel drive after all....

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Nenonen posted:

One witness also says a lightning struck the bridge just before the collapse.

Jupiter is angry.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

C.M. Kruger posted:

the service personnel discovered icing on the right side of the building

I know I shouldn't laugh, and I know what they actually meant, but still just lol

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Trabant posted:

It's a reference. It's how I make jokes without an actual sense of humour.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Byzantine posted:

Jupiter is angry.

And now Janus, the god of passageways, is mad.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

quote:

Both workers were sent into the showers for decontamination. The dosimeter's arrow kept passing tens of millions of beta decays. Both workers had hair removed from all parts of their bodies, they slept separately from everyone else and received food in rubber gloves, since their bodies themselves were now sources of gamma radiation. The dose to which they were exposed is unknown, as their dosimeters sank in the pool.

schmug posted:

holy poo poo they lived?
And presumably went on to fight the hulk

schmug
May 20, 2007

"some of them are built that the front doesn't fall off at all"

schmug
May 20, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

It's a reference. It's how I make jokes without an actual sense of humour.

nailed it

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

breadtruck.jpg

No matter where you go in the world there will be someone there driving around the most clapped out dangerous piece of poo poo, full of loaves.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I'm ashamed of how long this took me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A 61-year-old non-employee at a biofuel, etc. company on Walt Disney World property drowned in a vat of oil.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

can you like, screenshot it or something for our european readers

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

quote:

A worker was killed after falling into a vat filled with oil on Walt Disney World property Wednesday morning, according to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies responded to the 2000 block of South Service Lane shortly after midnight, where a 61-year-old man slipped and fell into the tub while emptying oil and grease from a tractor-trailer, Lt. Emanuel Curry said.

Officials said witnesses tried pulling the victim out of the vat, but could not do so. The man was “overwhelmed” by fumes and fell further into the container, authorities said.

The Sheriff’s Office described the victim as an “employee.” A Disney spokeswoman said the man was not employed by the company.

The Reedy Creek Fire Department retrieved the victim’s body. He has not been identified.

The death marks the second fatal industrial accident on Walt Disney World property in recent months. In July, 33-year-old Juan Alberto Ojeda was killed after being crushed by an electric cart.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Jeoh posted:

A worker was killed after falling into a vat filled with oil on Walt Disney World property Wednesday morning, according to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office.
Deputies responded to the 2000 block of South Service Lane shortly after midnight, where a 61-year-old man slipped and fell into the tub while emptying oil and grease from a tractor-trailer, Lt. Emanuel Curry said.
Officials said witnesses tried pulling the victim out of the vat, but could not do so. The man was “overwhelmed” by fumes and fell further into the container, authorities said.
The Sheriff’s Office described the victim as an “employee.” A Disney spokeswoman said the man was not employed by the company.
The Reedy Creek Fire Department retrieved the victim’s body. He has not been identified.
The death marks the second fatal industrial accident on Walt Disney World property in recent months. In July, 33-year-old Juan Alberto Ojeda was killed after being crushed by an electric cart.

This is a breaking news story. Check back for updates.
Staff writer Gabrielle Russon contributed.
Michael Williams can be reached at miwilliams@orlandosentinel.com, 407-420-5022 or @michaeldamianw.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

If you are confused about the employee/non-employee stuff, the biofuel plant isn't operated by Disney, but a company that recycles the park's foodwaste.

-e-
Article about the plant
https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2014/oct/17/disney-world-biogas-food-waste-energy-clean-tech

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 15, 2018

schmug
May 20, 2007

I'm more interested in this, Did we cover this:

"boar guy" posted:

WFTV posted:

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. - The Walt Disney World cast member who was killed Monday morning in an industrial accident was a vehicle technician who somehow became trapped under the cart he was working on, Orange County deputies said. The man, identified by deputies as Juan Alberto Ojeda, 33, was pronounced dead at the scene near Disney's Pop Century and Caribbean Beach resorts.

Deputies spoke with two witnesses who said Ojeda was working on the driver side of a Toro utility vehicle at a maintenance facility when the cart somehow started moving and drove up against a fence before coming back onto the ground on top of Ojeda.

Ojeda was unconscious moments later, witnesses said. He was declared dead at the scene by Reedy Creek firefighters.

Deputies are still investigating.

"All of us at Walt Disney World Resort are deeply saddened today by the loss of one of our cast members," said George A. Kalogridis, president of Walt Disney World Resort in a statement to WFTV Monday. "This is a tragic accident, and we are providing resources and care for those impacted and are working closely with the proper authorities to understand how this happened.".

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/worker-killed-at-walt-disney-world-was-trapped-under-vehicle-deputies-say/787004997

schmug fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 15, 2018

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

schmug posted:

I'm more interested in this, Did we cover this:

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. - The Walt Disney World cast member who was killed Monday morning in an industrial accident was a vehicle technician who somehow became trapped under the cart he was working on, Orange County deputies said. The man, identified by deputies as Juan Alberto Ojeda, 33, was pronounced dead at the scene near Disney's Pop Century and Caribbean Beach resorts.

Deputies spoke with two witnesses who said Ojeda was working on the driver side of a Toro utility vehicle at a maintenance facility when the cart somehow started moving and drove up against a fence before coming back onto the ground on top of Ojeda.The witnesses told deputies they tried to lift the cart off of Ojeda but it was too heavy. In the moments after he was first pinned, the witnesses told deputies that Ojeda asked them to move the cart back but they did not out of fear they would cause further injury.

Ojeda was unconscious moments later, witnesses said. He was declared dead at the scene by Reedy Creek firefighters. Deputies are still investigating.

"All of us at Walt Disney World Resort are deeply saddened today by the loss of one of our cast members," said George A. Kalogridis, president of Walt Disney World Resort in a statement to WFTV Monday. "This is a tragic accident, and we are providing resources and care for those impacted and are working closely with the proper authorities to understand how this happened."

Later Monday, there was an unrelated industrial accident at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge in which a man fell and injured himself. He is expected to survive.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/R0YGnKf.mp4

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That was very OSHA because the barrier did its job and prevented the car from flying off the cliff down into the houses. Good work road engineers.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

If it's stupid but it works, it's... probably OSHA as hell.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This thread (after the first episode) is basically about OSHA inspection: The video game https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865213

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

lololol

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Baronjutter posted:

That was very OSHA because the barrier did its job and prevented the car from flying off the cliff down into the houses. Good work road engineers.

seriously. wowowoww

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Also credit to the firefighter for realizing that stopping it was a lost cause and getting away safely. Most of these videos end up with the person clinging to the machinery for far longer than is healthy.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jeoh posted:

The whole passive-aggressive "The EU says we can't sell your personal data any more, so no content for EU visitors!" is about 75% of the reason I finally got around to getting a NordVPN account.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
group B was nuts and i don't mean that in a good way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

this is supernatural.