Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm trying to grind out product recipes, but in getting more supply depots than manufacturing facilities. Is there a trick to this? Or do I just burn nav data until I get a MF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

EC posted:

I'm trying to grind out product recipes, but in getting more supply depots than manufacturing facilities. Is there a trick to this? Or do I just burn nav data until I get a MF?

If you already have a supply depot marked, use another nav data and it will mark a manufacturing facility or operations center. Luckily nav data is pretty easy to come by, just be sure to click every rubix cube or holographic coaster you see on tables.

Also, when you are already at a manufacturing facility, use the signal booster to look for nearby buildings (the free option) and it will almost always point you to another MF. Doing this repeatedly will just bounce you back and forth between the two, though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

froody guy posted:

Good that they're focusing on bug fixing and performance improvement. Patch inbound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCeBn_R83N4

It almost sounds like they are addressing the weird storage unit construction bugs, but they only mention freighters so we will see I guess.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is there a text version of the 1.57 changelog?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

haveblue posted:

Is there a text version of the 1.57 changelog?

quote:

1.57 Patch Notes:
• Fixed an issue that prevented planets from being added to the Discovery timeline when exiting certain ship models
• Fixed an issue that prevented players from using the Pulse Engine to escape between waves of Sentinel space fighters

• Fixed an issue that could cause base NPC workers to become unresponsive after moving / deleting your base
• Substantially increased the length of time fuel lasts in the hydroponic trays

• Fixed a crash related to creatures
• Fixed a crash related to terrain generation
• Fix for an issue with PC shader compilation when the game is first booted which would occasionally result in a crash
• Various performance improvements
• Various improvements to load times (approximately 5-10% improvement to Warp times, 30% improvement to initial game load)
• Fix to shader generation to boost performance on lower spec PCs

• Fixed an issue that incorrectly limited the number of storage containers that could be built on the freighter
• Fixed an issue that could prevent construction in the freighter base
• Fixed an issue that could cause the 'Nearby buildings' scan on the signal booster to fail

• Fixed an issue that prevented exploration-focussed frigates from charging their scanners
• Fixed an issue that prevented damaged frigates from being completely repaired

• Fixed an issue where players could start their game in inappropriate systems when starting in multiplayer

• Marked icons are now automatically cleared on arrival at the marked target
• Fixed a number of cases where the HUD would prompt to mark icons that did not need marking

• Improved target locking for ship PvP
• Improved the appearance of HUD markers on player ships
• Fixed a number of visual issues around using the Analyser Visor in very specific circumstances

• Improved the mapping of the Steam Controller

• Removed an obsolete building product from the blueprint analyser
• Combat music now triggers when fighting biological horrors
• Slightly increased the damage dealt by biological horrors
• Fixed an issue that could cause expedition rewards to artificially increase after save/loading
• Fixed an issue where the Personal Forcefield could be deployed on 0% charge
• Fixed an issue where the Mining Beam and other weapon effects displayed the wrong colour in multiplayer
• Fixed an issue where the screen on the Multi-Tool would display the wrong ammo count for the Blaze Javelin
• Fixed an issue where the Multi-Tool was invisible in Photo Mode
• Fixed an issue where the Personal Forcefield would remain in-world forever when cycling Alt Weapon modes
• Fixed an issue where meleeing while sprinting could cause an animation glitch

• Improved the appearance of clouds in 4K/1440p modes
• Visual improvements made to some exotic biomes
• Visual improvements made to the space station technology merchants
• Increased the visibility of underground toxic hazards
• Visual improvements to buried technology modules

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

RIP just gonna clip this so it doesn't clutter the thread. And the above post is better formatted

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Thundarr posted:

If you already have a supply depot marked, use another nav data and it will mark a manufacturing facility or operations center. Luckily nav data is pretty easy to come by, just be sure to click every rubix cube or holographic coaster you see on tables.

Also, when you are already at a manufacturing facility, use the signal booster to look for nearby buildings (the free option) and it will almost always point you to another MF. Doing this repeatedly will just bounce you back and forth between the two, though.

When I've tried that in the past it just hasn't marked anything, but I'll try again.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Apparently that was a bug that the next patch is addressing. I have definitely had a bunch of times where the booster found nothing.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah, I've gotten the no signal thing too, but when things are working the nearby buildings option should find another of whatever type of building you're at.

The end of infinite space cop chase will be great. Though speaking of space cops, I got what I assume is a bug last night where pirates attacked me, I killed them, and then they summoned sentinel ships as reinforcements. There were no neutral ships anywhere nearby that I could have shot by accident, so I just interpreted it as the pirates narcing on me because I clowned on them so hard.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thundarr posted:

Yeah, I've gotten the no signal thing too, but when things are working the nearby buildings option should find another of whatever type of building you're at.

The end of infinite space cop chase will be great. Though speaking of space cops, I got what I assume is a bug last night where pirates attacked me, I killed them, and then they summoned sentinel ships as reinforcements. There were no neutral ships anywhere nearby that I could have shot by accident, so I just interpreted it as the pirates narcing on me because I clowned on them so hard.

It'd be nice if you could call the other ship and say "sorry my bad" when that happens. I clipped some fighter on accident mining asteroids and I had to very carefully murder it to not shoot the space station we were near too.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Grinding for these recipes is pretty boring. I don't need salvage modules or minerals, so it's just: go to a planet, signal boost, hit up the the two facilities, go the next planet, repeat until I'm out of planets. I wish I could buy or learn these any other way than 2/planet.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

There should be more than 2 per planet. You just need to fly very far away to find the next set. One planet I am on had like 4 within a fairly short distance of each other.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

quote:

Fixed an issue that prevented planets from being added to the Discovery timeline when exiting certain ship models

Holy crap, maybe that's why my discoveries weren't getting logged? My friggin' shuttle? NMS :allears:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
How do you get a landing pad for your base?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ZeusCannon posted:

How do you get a landing pad for your base?

From the base computer missions (at least that's how I got mine). These unlock part-way through the Artemis quest line. It was one of the last recipes before the missions just start sending you out on procedurally generated quests.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Thank you. That is much easier to read than a 10-minute video.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One thing that baffles me is that Hello Games has still not learned yet to gate some exciting/weird content behind time/distance to the center/whatever.

Within a week of NEXT appearing I had already seen all the new poo poo in it. I mean, not comprehensively, but it's all just sort of dumped on you without any kind of pacing.

There does not appear currently to be anything in the game that would require you to go really "digging around" (metphorically or literally). Like, entire massive ruined cities (sometimes underwater or buried under mountains maybe) that only start appearing in certain sectors or at a certain closeness to the center. Now that there's multiplayer, it's ripe for that sort of thing, as when one person discovers it they can just say "Hey guys join my game to check out this weird poo poo".

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I gotta earn a survival milestone for Polo. If I build a base in on an extreme planet, can I just hang inside and do stuff around the house while it ticks up?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EC posted:

I gotta earn a survival milestone for Polo. If I build a base in on an extreme planet, can I just hang inside and do stuff around the house while it ticks up?

Yup. Just go make a sandwich.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If it still works the same as when the game first came out, you can hang out in an existing outpost and don't even need to build a base. It may not actually trigger the milestone until you leave though.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

precision posted:

One thing that baffles me is that Hello Games has still not learned yet to gate some exciting/weird content behind time/distance to the center/whatever.

Within a week of NEXT appearing I had already seen all the new poo poo in it. I mean, not comprehensively, but it's all just sort of dumped on you without any kind of pacing.

There does not appear currently to be anything in the game that would require you to go really "digging around" (metphorically or literally). Like, entire massive ruined cities (sometimes underwater or buried under mountains maybe) that only start appearing in certain sectors or at a certain closeness to the center. Now that there's multiplayer, it's ripe for that sort of thing, as when one person discovers it they can just say "Hey guys join my game to check out this weird poo poo".
Ringed planets are a great example of that. Should have left them off the box art and made them really rare but HG again are the insecure dude who tells all his best jokes and stories on the first date.

Literally everything in the game is ubiquitous, so nothing is interesting.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Thundarr posted:

If it still works the same as when the game first came out, you can hang out in an existing outpost and don't even need to build a base. It may not actually trigger the milestone until you leave though.

I had already built a base to harvest some activated copper, so this was pretty easy. Seriously considering just leaving this going and getting the trophy for it, since I never did that when the game came out.

Edit: this is actually pretty slow if I'm doing the math right. Still, I'll go edit some podcasts and then come back and see how far it gets me.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
After letting them idle for awhile, I went out and scanned a hunch of creatures and finished a couple of quests, and the game crashed when I warped back to the station. Goddammit.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Are the activated metals useful themselves or are they just a way to get a lot of chromatic metal?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

Are the activated metals useful themselves or are they just a way to get a lot of chromatic metal?

Just chromatic metal. I wish they were allowed to be used in place of the base metals for recipes/word bribes.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Bruceski posted:

Just chromatic metal. I wish they were allowed to be used in place of the base metals for recipes/word bribes.

Someday: chromatic nanites

I want so many crafting recipes for this game. But I want the freighter/mission bugs fixed first.

EC posted:

I hung out in a cave complex on a stupidly toxic world for something like 10 SOLs while I was at work. Apparently once you get under a roof, the breathable ebola becomes tolerable.

I do think the extreme survival count doesn't increment if you're in a structure where it puts your gun away.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

EC posted:

I had already built a base to harvest some activated copper, so this was pretty easy. Seriously considering just leaving this going and getting the trophy for it, since I never did that when the game came out.

Edit: this is actually pretty slow if I'm doing the math right. Still, I'll go edit some podcasts and then come back and see how far it gets me.
When I wanna farm sols I just park my rear end in a cave on a hell planet and go make dinner.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
It seems like there's a bug where changing the size of your terrain-manipulator blob doesn't affect the speed you extract from mineral deposits, so set it to the smallest size to get the most from a single deposit. Just be careful though because there is another bug that means you sometimes can't set the size back to whatever you normally use so it becomes useless for archaeology/building.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I extremely respect this game for not properly aligning everything in space. I always thought it was lame that spaceships meeting head on were aligned as if they all had a shared gravity and it sometimes make sense, like for fleets. Having to fly around the huge rear end fleet that i've approached from some stupid rear end angle is a nice refreshing take at space encounters and makes a kinda convincing illusion that the capital ship is on it's own way somewhere, not just placed there for my convenience.

NMS doesn't do player convenience very well :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kikas posted:

I extremely respect this game for not properly aligning everything in space. I always thought it was lame that spaceships meeting head on were aligned as if they all had a shared gravity and it sometimes make sense, like for fleets. Having to fly around the huge rear end fleet that i've approached from some stupid rear end angle is a nice refreshing take at space encounters and makes a kinda convincing illusion that the capital ship is on it's own way somewhere, not just placed there for my convenience.

NMS doesn't do player convenience very well :v:

http://www.sheldoncomics.com/archive/150423.html

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/97rycz/guide_portals_coordinates_and_galaxies_explained/

Some good stuff gets posted on the Reddit.

Also, different subject, but OH HEY if you use the largest radius on the Terrain Manipulator you get WAY less ore from deposits than the smaller version, because of course that is intuitive.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hmm... does the terrain manipulator use up fuel based on how much you’re mining, or how long it’s running? I get the sense that it’s based on the latter...

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
I do appreciate the weird worlds and hope they figure out how to make more of them.

These things are all pure ferrite, so I figured I'd use this place to learn base-building. And exploit the two Indium deposits.

Maybe a better sense of scale for these huge drat things:

Some of them are flying too.

18 Character Limit fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 17, 2018

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Any luck farming the flying ones? On my planet the scanner says they're made of Carbon, but I have no luck hitting them or mining them, they just act like they lack a collision model.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Kikas posted:

Any luck farming the flying ones? On my planet the scanner says they're made of Carbon, but I have no luck hitting them or mining them, they just act like they lack a collision model.

They scan as flora on that one but no resources within.

After that I remembered that Creative Mode is a thing and started a game there so that my base mistakes don't cost so much time with a mining laser.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

18 Character Limit posted:

They scan as flora on that one but no resources within.

After that I remembered that Creative Mode is a thing and started a game there so that my base mistakes don't cost so much time with a mining laser.

Just throw the portable save point or the beacon down and reload if you don't like the way things come together?

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

sigh, maybe someday when I rescue another S class freighter I'll actually be able to afford it...

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

precision posted:

This game basically has the same problem Elite Dangerous has.

They spent a lot of effort working on making a huge procedural generation deal to actually make the universe, and it's really neat and works pretty well, but there's not a whole lot of actual variety to what you see and do at each location. There's not a whole lot of game to actually play, and each world is "unique" but there's only a few types of planets and each one is pretty similar to the last and there's not a whole lot of really cool stuff on any given locale. There's lots of cool landscapes and it's a huge space to play in but almost everything worthwhile is based around hand-crafted setpieces anyway.

I still like both of them, but it's interesting how these games parallel each other in so many ways and deal with low content and variety by having huge grinds.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Maybe one day they can procedurally generate variety.

Give us planets and biomes and things we haven’t seen and don’t recognize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

quote:

• Fixed an issue that prevented exploration-focussed frigates from charging their scanners
... is there a feature to those frigates I've never known about? They have scanners?! How do I use these? What do they do?

Ultimate Mango posted:

Maybe one day they can procedurally generate variety.

Give us planets and biomes and things we haven’t seen and don’t recognize.
Yeah I find it weird that they made all these pre-made assets so that we would see a bunch of things that we'd never seen before... only to run into all of them and become bored whenever we find them again because they didn't think of adding variability to, say, the scale and color of those hexagon trees. Why not make the weird planet assets show up in non-disastrous planets?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 17, 2018