Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think there are definitely tweaks you could make to make the late game a bit more enjoyable. Tougher enemies, smarter AI, 80% hard caps on resist and hit chance, some hard caps on other things.

Even just slowing the progression down with mods like GCD makes a nice difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

MGSO gamplay thing would have probably added creatures npcs and items which would most likely be unbalanced and look bad.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Morrowind is fine

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Entropy238 posted:

I think there are definitely tweaks you could make to make the late game a bit more enjoyable. Tougher enemies, smarter AI, 80% hard caps on resist and hit chance, some hard caps on other things.

Even just slowing the progression down with mods like GCD makes a nice difference.

the combat is 100% inconsequential to morrowind one way or the other to me. it's not at all what i like about the game nor do i give a hot flying piss about it, and 'improving' it would not make any difference to me. especially as a lot of the ways people have modded it, or hell the ways bethesda 'improved' it in subsequent titles, are actively worse.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 16, 2018

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

morrowind is not a fighting game

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Generic Monk posted:

i thought i installed the one where everyone has underwear, and indeed everyone does have underwear, but the male character models all have a big ol' dick jutting out of the loincloth. it's loving hilarious

issue is to make something like this happen and not instantly banned of all popular modsites you pretty much have to obtain the express permission of every modder whose work you're including which in a lot of instances isn't really feasible. then again if it's not a mega ultra pack it's probably doable

It's bullshit that this has to be the case. Look at Minecraft mod packs--the mod authors were really against them for a long while because they were monetizing the downloads with adfly. But then Tekkit / Technic launcher came along, made downloading packs of hundreds of mods easy, consistent, and brainless. They didn't ask for permissions. There was a huge outcry, but they persisted until the culture in the community changed. Now the standard way of using mods is in modpacks.

We need someone like that in the TES modding community who can say "gently caress it," I'm making a pack, you can't stop me, and I'll host it myself. The whole individual manual downloading from nexus and manual installation needs to stop.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cantorsdust posted:

It's bullshit that this has to be the case. Look at Minecraft mod packs--the mod authors were really against them for a long while because they were monetizing the downloads with adfly. But then Tekkit / Technic launcher came along, made downloading packs of hundreds of mods easy, consistent, and brainless. They didn't ask for permissions. There was a huge outcry, but they persisted until the culture in the community changed. Now the standard way of using mods is in modpacks.

We need someone like that in the TES modding community who can say "gently caress it," I'm making a pack, you can't stop me, and I'll host it myself. The whole individual manual downloading from nexus and manual installation needs to stop.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the combat is 100% inconsequential to morrowind one way or the other to me. it's not at all what i like about the game nor do i give a hot flying piss about it, and 'improving' it would not make any difference to me. especially as a lot of the ways people have modded it, or hell the ways bethesda 'improved' it in subsequent titles, are actively worse.

You would probably give a small hot flying piss - combat is integral to so much of the content in Morrowind and the game would be pretty barren without it. It's not the difficulty that really leads to the satisfaction of playing the game though, it's the character development, immersion and exploration.

I Morrowind but it can get a little bit stale though when you run out of meaningful ways of improving your character any further.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Entropy238 posted:

You would probably give a small hot flying piss - combat is integral to so much of the content in Morrowind and the game would be pretty barren without it. It's not the difficulty that really leads to the satisfaction of playing the game though, it's the character development, immersion and exploration.

I Morrowind but it can get a little bit stale though when you run out of meaningful ways of improving your character any further.

No sure the combat is *there* but it doesn't matter. It could all be quick-time "Press X to Win" interactions and have the same value. Perhaps at the time and in your nostalgia-soaked mind the combat in Morrowind was worthwhile but compared to any modern game it's a non-entity. You'd be better served with MMO-style tab targeting and global cooldowns than with standing there and beating on a cliff racer while you pray to the RNG to let you hit the drat thing at least loving once before the rest of his buddies get to you. Unless you choose to be a stealth archer, in which congratulations you actually just avoid combat so shut up, your entire combat experience is either chase the guy while spamming your attack or spell button and/or back-pedal while spamming your attack or spell. It's simple. It's so simple as to be a non-entity that could be removed. For about 90% of Morrowind combat at the very least you could just have it randomly determine how much health and stamina you lose before you win and it would save a lot of time and have about as engaging a mechanic. Perhaps even more so since you could then actually stay focused on finding Ancestral Tomb #17 instead of fighting Cliff Racer #96

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Addamere posted:

No sure the combat is *there* but it doesn't matter. It could all be quick-time "Press X to Win" interactions and have the same value. Perhaps at the time and in your nostalgia-soaked mind the combat in Morrowind was worthwhile but compared to any modern game it's a non-entity. You'd be better served with MMO-style tab targeting and global cooldowns than with standing there and beating on a cliff racer while you pray to the RNG to let you hit the drat thing at least loving once before the rest of his buddies get to you. Unless you choose to be a stealth archer, in which congratulations you actually just avoid combat so shut up, your entire combat experience is either chase the guy while spamming your attack or spell button and/or back-pedal while spamming your attack or spell. It's simple. It's so simple as to be a non-entity that could be removed. For about 90% of Morrowind combat at the very least you could just have it randomly determine how much health and stamina you lose before you win and it would save a lot of time and have about as engaging a mechanic. Perhaps even more so since you could then actually stay focused on finding Ancestral Tomb #17 instead of fighting Cliff Racer #96

Someone could use the mwlua to "autoresolve" every combat by calling an autoresolve script when making an attack against the enemy. A la Witcher 3 "Hearts of Card that has all combat replaced with Gwent.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 16, 2018

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

There isnt a one mod fits all for all user tastes. Every item weapon creature etc has like 3+ replacers and texture packs and its up to you to figure out which one is best.

Whats that, you dont care? Download upscaled vanilla textures and mgexe. Wow that was hard! We need a modpack to do this for us!!!!

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Addamere posted:

Like I said, the value isn't so much in the combat itself but rather your character's progression in the world and how you deal with the problems – combat related or otherwise – the game throws at you, or you choose to throw at yourself.

If you take what you're saying to its logical extension – and do correct me if I'm misrepresenting you – you seem to be suggesting that you could take every single hostile enemy and offensive character skill (which is about 75% of them?) out of the game and the game would be better off. I don't think that's the case.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mwse lua cant quite intercept the attack in that way yet. There is an attack event that triggers when an attack attempt is made, regardless of distance from target or any other variable. Then theres a damage event where you can punch in a number. If you want to do the insane combat math and calculate distance to evaluate a hit and do that all yourself go for it. That still wouldnt trigger onhit effects from weapons. What ive requested is access to the boolean that says 'yes attack hit, trigger damage roll and effects' because then its just a matter of flipping it in more situations.

Also i made pursuit enhanced in lua, its neat.

Also i tentatively started scs morrowind. Its tough making npcs competent without also expanding the magic system

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

Someone could use the mwlua to "autoresolve" every combat by calling an autoresolve script when making an attack against the enemy. A la Witcher 3 "[url=https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/953/?]Hearts of Card[/mod] that has all combat replaced with Gwent.

It’s time to d-d-d-d-duel!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

gameplay mod Morrowind needs: running doesn't drain stamina

I forget the name of it but there you go, you're set

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Entropy238 posted:

Like I said, the value isn't so much in the combat itself but rather your character's progression in the world and how you deal with the problems – combat related or otherwise – the game throws at you, or you choose to throw at yourself.

If you take what you're saying to its logical extension – and do correct me if I'm misrepresenting you – you seem to be suggesting that you could take every single hostile enemy and offensive character skill (which is about 75% of them?) out of the game and the game would be better off. I don't think that's the case.

I'm saying you could put the combat entirely in text and remove the lovely animations and ranges and pathfinding that are old enough to vote and show it badly, and the game would be better off for it. Let your character resolve things through any combination of combat, diplomacy, magic, stealth, whatever — I'm not saying combat isn't part of the character. I'm saying the combat engine sucks and could just be abstracted away into a text box and the game would not suffer for it, and this would be presumably much easier to mod than making a bunch of tweaks to the enemy pathfinding AI that constantly gets stuck on rocks and occasionally falls through the world to their deaths and thereby breaks the quest I'm on. :mad:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I’m the weirdo who likes the stamina drain, it makes me slow down and take my time and enjoy the scenery.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

finding ways to bypass the game is part of the game

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Addamere posted:

I'm saying you could put the combat entirely in text and remove the lovely animations and ranges and pathfinding that are old enough to vote and show it badly, and the game would be better off for it. Let your character resolve things through any combination of combat, diplomacy, magic, stealth, whatever — I'm not saying combat isn't part of the character. I'm saying the combat engine sucks and could just be abstracted away into a text box and the game would not suffer for it, and this would be presumably much easier to mod than making a bunch of tweaks to the enemy pathfinding AI that constantly gets stuck on rocks and occasionally falls through the world to their deaths and thereby breaks the quest I'm on. :mad:

i don't know what thread you thought you were in but this is the morrowind thread

if you want it, do it
https://mwse.readthedocs.io/en/latest/lua/guide/tes3ui.html

it isnt hard lol

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh i do not mind the clunky terrible combat, to me its part of the game's nostalgic charm just like the plant sprites

i do not pretend it is good however and i lol heartily perhaps even lmbo at anyone who tries to defend it as good

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
When I got my first mouse with thumb buttons I set up a macro to left click 25 times so I wouldn't have to do it manually in Morrowind.

Coincidentally I'm reinstalling the game this weekend.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Entropy238 posted:

The futility of modding combat to not suck is why I prefer mods that make quests that don't rely on combat. Whole reason I started Quest Tweaks and Alternatives, actually.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Morrowind is a good game

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Wrong

Morrowind is a great game

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

gently caress how could I have been so wrong

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

its actually deeply flawed! fight me! FIGHT M-

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Entropy238 posted:

but i mean, that's not what i'm here for, i don't know how much more i can stress that. i don't care about 'improving' my character beyond the bounds of what the game already allows for, like, at all. i did try gcd once for the hell of it but it just made the game feel tedious and i removed it.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Any good mega dungeon mods?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

at the same time this is people's work borne of their own passion and creative impulse; i understand them wanting to have some control over it. legally there's little recourse modders have re copyright infringement etc no matter how much they talk about it but it would still be kind of a dick move to use someone else's work in a compilation without credit. i think mod sites could absolutely take the lead on this and create some kind of mechanism for accreditation in complilations, but since this runs the risk of pissing off modders it's probably not something they would seriously consider

Addamere posted:

oh i do not mind the clunky terrible combat, to me its part of the game's nostalgic charm just like the plant sprites

i do not pretend it is good however and i lol heartily perhaps even lmbo at anyone who tries to defend it as good

i appreciate morrowind's combat for at least being honest about being terrible; the subsequent games in the series dress it up with (marginally) better animations, finishing moves etc but it's still functionally just the same 'stand in front of guy and mash the attack button' combat it's always been. although at least with bows you get ragdolls and the hilarious thing where the arrows stick out of npcs/yourself in the goofiest possible way which is kinda fun

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 17, 2018

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Berke Negri posted:

its actually deeply flawed! fight me! FIGHT M-

I don't know why he's running, that looks like your typical day in Morrowind.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Generic Monk posted:

i appreciate morrowind's combat for at least being honest about being terrible; the subsequent games in the series dress it up with (marginally) better animations, finishing moves etc but it's still functionally just the same 'stand in front of guy and mash the attack button' combat it's always been. although at least with bows you get ragdolls and the hilarious thing where the arrows stick out of npcs/yourself in the goofiest possible way which is kinda fun

Magic at least got better (read: nerfed) in subsequent games, though in Skyrim being able to zap someone to ashes is super fun!

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
So I think I may have started this fight so I apologise!

When I played morrowind a couple years back, msgo was such a nice change of pace, I could just download a single thing and jump into a game without a ton of work.

It was hyperbole to say this mod pack is worse than the Xbox version. Thats actually ehy I posted in this thread, I decided to play some morrowind on Xbox but between the graphics and the loading g times it was no bueno.

After playing msgo for the last few days let me tell you, while I'm sure there are better graphics packs, visual wise I have no complaints. The changes to sound, however , make the game almost unplayable. The muttering at the inns, the crazy loud sound effects , and another set of minor audio "improvements" make the game almost unplayable

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Grevlek posted:

So I think I may have started this fight so I apologise!

Well you better stick around and level up your posting skill so you can finally end it without missing so often!!!!

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

but i mean, that's not what i'm here for, i don't know how much more i can stress that. i don't care about 'improving' my character beyond the bounds of what the game already allows for, like, at all. i did try gcd once for the hell of it but it just made the game feel tedious and i removed it.

Different strokes for different folks then I guess. My autism brain is satisfied by Morrowind's combat for what it is :shrug:

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Also i tentatively started scs morrowind. Its tough making npcs competent without also expanding the magic system

I'm interested to see how this pans out. Are you doing it in OpenMW or for ordinary morrowind?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://streamable.com/b3w4q
upcoming TR content - the ghostfence machine at Necrom

Entropy238 posted:

I'm interested to see how this pans out. Are you doing it in OpenMW or for ordinary morrowind?

lua mwse

openmw and ordinary mw don't give me enough options

some other neat mwse lua mods recently because we finally got tooltip support

Ingredient Flavor Texts
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45956

Tamrielic Lore Tooltips
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45954

mbt fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 17, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Entropy238 posted:

Different strokes for different folks then I guess. My autism brain is satisfied by Morrowind's combat for what it is :shrug:

i think we may be misunderstanding one another because i too have no issues with morrowind's combat at all, in fact as i've said i prefer it to oblivion and skyrim for a great number of reasons and see no incentive to mod it to be different. it does its job perfectly even with its clunkiness.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i think we may be misunderstanding one another because i too have no issues with morrowind's combat at all, in fact as i've said i prefer it to oblivion and skyrim for a great number of reasons and see no incentive to mod it to be different. it does its job perfectly even with its clunkiness.

same

e: except for a few small tweaks here and there

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 17, 2018

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
GoG had Morrowind on sale, so I bought it for the first time. What mods would people recommend for an absolute newbie?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

GoG had Morrowind on sale, so I bought it for the first time. What mods would people recommend for an absolute newbie?

REQUIRED
morrowind code patch
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/19510/

MGEXE (graphics)
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/41102/

Better Font
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/36873/

Patch For Purists
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45096

NOT REQUIRED BUT RECOMMENDED
Morrowind Optimization Patch
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45384

dark brotherhood delayed
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/14891/

better bodies
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/3880

better heads
http://mw.modhistory.com/download--3286

after you install those, run MGEXE and generate distant land (check all the esp boxes) then set viewable cells to like...9 or something

das it

[note: yes other alternatives to better bodies/better heads exist, but those require more work and aren't the """"vanilla"""" experience]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Patrick Spens posted:

My short answer is download OpenMW at openmw.org and have at it.

OpenMW is an open source engine being developed that is in a more than playable state that will vastly improve framerate and make crashes/data corruption non existant. You can dress Morrowind up with as many graphical enhancers as you want and take extremely pretty screenshots but at the end if the day the animations are not good and will always look borderline ridiculous, and there isn't a good way to fix that at this time.

The longer answer is keep the original engine and check out the STEP Guide for some really pretty graphics update. It's a pretty lengthy guide but can be worth it. Note: this will work with OpenMW but any bump mapped texture will show up as really shiny and jarring because the original engine had to use a hack-job workaround for bump maps.

The true CHIM answer is develop corprus disease and troll through every mod on Nexus mods and succumb to blight madness.

Honestly though I suggest playing the OG game via OpenMW because it has a lot of charm and there really isn't any satisfying way to fix Morrowind's flaws for someone who hasn't played it before.