Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alone Together episode 5 is funny as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1029938329230495744

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7o4oMKbStE

Lol that the worlds most image obsessed insecure people are in the most scrutinized position in the world

Also, ScarJo is a fairly decent comedic actor, at least she's good on SNL.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I hope they aren't expecting SNL to go easy when the new season starts back up after all the poo poo they pulled over the summer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Honestly I really hate Baldwin's Trump impression. It's not inaccurate, I guess maybe it's because I don't really find lampoon Donald any funnier or outlandish than actual Donald. I tend to watch SNLs the next day on the youtube channel, so I can quit a sketch when it stops being funny, and I never watch the typically politically themed cold opens. I still like Weekend Update and I like the political jokes they do there, it's just, I can barely stand to hear the man's voice on the news so a parody of him just grates.

I do love Kate McKinnon's Kellyanne Conway stuff tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlt3rA-oDao&t=98s

Of course I love all her stuff, Kate's a first ballot SNL cast hall of famer imo

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Baldwin's Trump is pretty bad tbh, but it's Alec Baldwin and SNL hasn't been this relevant in a long time so I doubt he's going anywhere until 2021 or whatever.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
You guys, SNL sucks.

Given the choice between watching a new episode of SNL or a new episode of The Simpsons, I'd go with The Simpsons because at least it's only 30 minutes of suckitude.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah well that's why I do the youtube thing, so I can watch the good sketches and even just the good parts of good sketches. Plus Kyle Mooney is insanely good, any sketch he leads is must-watch. Beck Bennett is probably as good in terms of comedic sensibility but he's not as good a comedic actor as Mooney

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

IRQ posted:

Baldwin's Trump is pretty bad tbh, but it's Alec Baldwin and SNL hasn't been this relevant in a long time so I doubt he's going anywhere until 2021 or whatever.

It's interesting because I heard this interview of Hank Azaria when he was on Dan LeBatatd Show and they asked him what makes a good impression. He basically said there are two types of good impressions, those that sound very similar to the person to almost be indistinguishable, and those that don't sound anything like the person, but exaggerate certain traits greatly for comedic effect. He specifically cited Alec Baldwin's Trump impersonation as an example of the second one.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I hated when ppl would pick him in goldeneye.

e: there are tons of better trump impersonations, specifically my fav is anthony atamaniuk's because it's actually a more realistic version of the actual Trump, with the venom and spite he tries to hide in full view.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 16, 2018

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
SNL is good. I don't get why people hate on it like they do. People will say "SNL Isn't funny anymore, not like it was X years ago. It was good then." X is usually when they were teens/early 20's. IMHO the truth of the matter is that it runs about 50/50 with funny poo poo and misses.

Anyway, Kate McKinnon is definitely in the hall of fame if there was one, she's great. Also I really want Chance The Rapper to come back, that hockey skit had to be the best god drat skit in years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ij4a6x_mPs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Croatoan posted:

SNL is good. I don't get why people hate on it like they do. People will say "SNL Isn't funny anymore, not like it was X years ago. It was good then." X is usually when they were teens/early 20's. IMHO the truth of the matter is that it runs about 50/50 with funny poo poo and misses.

Anyway, Kate McKinnon is definitely in the hall of fame if there was one, she's great. Also I really want Chance The Rapper to come back, that hockey skit had to be the best god drat skit in years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ij4a6x_mPs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaMvsGp3FjU

Well here we go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvvWB0GwCek

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 16, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
SNL has been poo poo since the day they hired Will Ferrel.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Rhyno posted:

SNL has been poo poo since the day they hired Will Ferrel.

So to check my theory, were you born in the late 70's?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
SNL is and has always been a pile of manure that occasionally you find diamonds in*. As a Brit, Americans’ obsession with it is really bizarre to me, like it’s meant to be some sort of political/comedy frontline or whatever

*sketch-wise not performer-wise

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

SNL has been poo poo since Gasteyer, Shannon, Oteri and Dratch left imho. Tho I still enjoyed it during the Fey/Poehler/Rudolph years.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
SNL has always been simultaneously total loving garbage and totally great. Yes, even THAT season. Go back and watch old episodes if you don't believe me. There are very few episodes of SNL that are brilliant start to finish, and they show up in random years when the stars align.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

SNL is def always hit or miss.

tbh I always found MADtv typically more consistent and had ladies just as funny or funnier than my fave SNL years.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I feel like I would like Iron Fist more if the character was interspersed throughout the Netflix MCU instead of a stand alone show. I liked his arc on Luke Cage, and I feel if he just showed up for a couple episodes in Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Daredevil, he would be more interesting. I just want more crossover from the main characters, it seems like they are willing to have virtually every other character except the title one cross over into the other shows despite having great reasons for them to do so.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was trying to find one of my favorite sketches, the one where Heather Locklear is an extremely racist infomercial host, and I couldn't find it anywhere.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

esperterra posted:

SNL has been poo poo since Gasteyer, Shannon, Oteri and Dratch left imho. Tho I still enjoyed it during the Fey/Poehler/Rudolph years.

Tina Fey and Rachel Dratch left at the same time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

esperterra posted:

tbh I always found MADtv typically more consistent and had ladies just as funny or funnier than my fave SNL years.

Stewart and Ms. Swan were the worst reoccurring characters.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

esperterra posted:

Well MAD Tv was definitely consistent, that's accurate.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
One thing that's very true though is that no matter how progressive you think SNL is, just go back and rewatch some stuff. Hoooollllly poo poo it was so homophobic and transphobic in the 90's. I think that's probably just largely true about comedy in general though. Pushing that envelope and all.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Though it's important to note that you should go back and watch full episodes, not just sketches, if you want to see that it's always been terrible. Because if you pick and choose from any era you can find great stuff. Even though I prefer the tone of the pre-90s stuff, the post-90s stuff gets way shorter and more quickly edited, meaning that the hit rate is actually a bit higher. A pre-90s sketch tends to drag on and on even if it's funny.

Escobarbarian posted:

SNL is and has always been a pile of manure that occasionally you find diamonds in*. As a Brit, Americans’ obsession with it is really bizarre to me, like it’s meant to be some sort of political/comedy frontline or whatever

*sketch-wise not performer-wise

As an American, I agree.

MADtv was super trashy and I couldn't stand it.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 16, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aphrodite posted:

Tina Fey and Rachel Dratch left at the same time.

Good point, tbh those two 'eras' of SNL always meld together for me so I never remember really who left when lmao

One of my fave skits is still the Debbie Downer one with Lindsay Lohan where nobody could keep a straight face so tbh I should have remembered Dratch still being around then lmao

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

swickles posted:

I just want more crossover from the main characters, it seems like they are willing to have virtually every other character except the title one cross over into the other shows despite having great reasons for them to do so.

That’s not really true. Luke Cage was on Jessica Jones, Iron Fist was on Luke Cage, etc.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Daredevil is p much the only one who hasn't crossed over.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The recent John Mulaney one was an all timer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCYPeuEWUbI

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Croatoan posted:

So to check my theory, were you born in the late 70's?

Yes but I really just hate Will Ferrel.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rhyno posted:

Yes but I really just hate Will Ferrel.

Will Ferrel is just plain anti-comedy when he does comedy. Not terrible at drama though.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
All the remaining episodes of season 2 of Alone Together getting dumped online all of a sudden probably means it's canceled right :sigh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

A pre-90s sketch tends to drag on and on even if it's funny.

This is so true.

I always preferred In Living Color to MadTV.

less laughter posted:

All the remaining episodes of season 2 of Alone Together getting dumped online all of a sudden probably means it's canceled right :sigh:

I hope not :(

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think by nature all sketch shows are hot and miss. I’ve watched all of the major ones and very few bat near or over .500. Usually ones that were short lived. That’s just the nature of sketch comedy in general.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

Will Ferrel is just plain anti-comedy when he does comedy. Not terrible at drama though.

Will Ferrel, just like Adam Sandler, had a very specific time where he was actually very funny. That time was the mid 90s. I was a teenager during that time. I'm sure these things have nothing to do with each other.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaMvsGp3FjU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Upright Citizens Brigade was better than SNL and MadTV :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I think by nature all sketch shows are hot and miss. I’ve watched all of the major ones and very few bat near or over .500. Usually ones that were short lived. That’s just the nature of sketch comedy in general.

Except for The Whitest Kids You Know.

They couldn't come up with "funny" if you held a gun to their collective heads.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Am I even here

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

zoux posted:

Am I even here

Oops it is I who am the fool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006