Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

He was protecting someone who couldn't protect themselves. In the end of WoR he says the second oath to the Stormfather, so he was already at the first ideal and could draw in stormlight.

Plus he started researching the radiants after his brother was murdered, so he's certain to have said the words for the first ideal at some point in the past. It's possible he had been at the first ideal ever since the visions started.

doesn't shardplate glow? maybe i'm just imagining it because it's magical super armor

anyways i agree with you, and sanderson has generally been pretty good about foreshadowing potential radiants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

He was protecting someone who couldn't protect themselves. In the end of WoR he says the second oath to the Stormfather, so he was already at the first ideal and could draw in stormlight.

Plus he started researching the radiants after his brother was murdered, so he's certain to have said the words for the first ideal at some point in the past. It's possible he had been at the first ideal ever since the visions started.

An alternate explanation is just that his armor was being cracked and leaking stormlight - that's how I interpreted it, anyway. Is there any clue that suggests he was at the first ideal at this point? A hint like this is too subtle to really say that, I think.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My guess was that it was the first ideal, too, and he was just doing it unknowingly. Like Kaladin using Stormlight to heal while unconscious.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Kaladin used stormlight (crudely) before he spoke his first ideal, like when he killed Shallan's brother and won his shards. The Windrunner squires do, too. It just seems like part of how the Radiants get their power.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh, I meant while exhibiting behavior that might be described with the first ideal even though they hadn't said it yet.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

He was protecting someone who couldn't protect themselves.

That's a windrunner ideal lol

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Dalinar hadn't yet spoken the first ideal at that point.

He WAS under consideration by SF for becoming a bondsmith--the visions were a part of the seeking process (as much as the SF seemed to hate the idea). Dalinar wouldn't have regular access to Stormlight until the end of WoR when he said the First and Second Ideals on the top of the tower, but it's possible that his proto-bond enabled some better use.

A good question might be, which order's Plate was he wearing? Bondsmith armor is probably gold, but Windrunner Plate may be blue/gray...any WoB on that?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Dead plate is just grey, people paint it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Dalinar hadn't yet spoken the first ideal at that point.

He WAS under consideration by SF for becoming a bondsmith--the visions were a part of the seeking process (as much as the SF seemed to hate the idea). Dalinar wouldn't have regular access to Stormlight until the end of WoR when he said the First and Second Ideals on the top of the tower, but it's possible that his proto-bond enabled some better use.

A good question might be, which order's Plate was he wearing? Bondsmith armor is probably gold, but Windrunner Plate may be blue/gray...any WoB on that?

I think bondsmiths just don't get any shards period

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tunicate posted:

pretty sure that in the giant battle at the end of oathbringer we see what looks like an early version of the plate Dalinar will eventually be able to form (don't remember the exact lines but there's bits about glowing patterns around his skin and him not taking damage when he should be, which seems consistent with some of the other pseudo-shardplate stuff people are starting to be able to form) but brandon is being extremely RAFO-y about how any of it works

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Tunicate posted:

He may get Plate but not Blade (at least, not without spren-raping the SF again to use the Oathgate); that part is unclear. When he asked about Plate he wasn't told "lolno" it was "you haven't said enough words yet"

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

OAquinas posted:

He may get Plate but not Blade (at least, not without spren-raping the SF again to use the Oathgate); that part is unclear. When he asked about Plate he wasn't told "lolno" it was "you haven't said enough words yet"

Is bondsmith limited to SF only or is it just that is the spren that Dalinar happened to bond?

Anyway I love SF telling him “like gently caress am I gonna be your blade PEACE”

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
As far as we're aware there are a max of three Bondsmiths, one of whom is bonded to the Stormfather. The other two are the Nightwatcher and the Sibling, who is a mystery.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Taffer posted:

An alternate explanation is just that his armor was being cracked and leaking stormlight - that's how I interpreted it, anyway. Is there any clue that suggests he was at the first ideal at this point? A hint like this is too subtle to really say that, I think.

This is what I assumed was happening - he was elaborating on how hosed the armor was, completely spiderwebbed with cracks, leaking so much stormlight the whole thing was glowing. I agree Sanderson does a lot of foreshadowing with extremely tiny details, but I'm not sure I buy this as an instance of that.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

eke out posted:

doesn't shardplate glow? maybe i'm just imagining it because it's magical super armor

anyways i agree with you, and sanderson has generally been pretty good about foreshadowing potential radiants.

The Radients had glowing glyphs in their shardplate, but dead plate doesn't glow unless it's damaged.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mewse posted:

That's a windrunner ideal lol

I keep forgetting the first ideal's wording is the journey before destination one.

Regardless, Dalinar still fits the first oath for the radiants by that point in time. If it's not Dalinar using Stormlight to augment his shardplate strength then his actions there would have to have been one hell of an adrenaline (thrill?) rush. He did something nobody, including multiple shardbearers who know the full capabilities of shardplate, could believe and were stunned by it. Dalinar having crude stormlight access, like Kaladin did without realizing it, makes total sense though.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 18, 2018

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

Dalinar having crude stormlight access, like Kaladin did without realizing it, makes total sense though.

Nascent Radiants (pre first oath) clearly have some minor access to Stormlight and Dalinar has been one for a long time (see his destroyed shoulder still working just fine). He didn't fit a lot of the oaths at the time, but he was doing things that were mostly in line with being a Bondsmith (he may have been a violent lunatic, but he was still the primary force uniting people)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

22 chapters into Crown of Swords. This book is absolutely awful so far.

I can’t even think of the last time a trolloc was even mentioned. Fires of Heaven, maybe?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
You just read Swowan Nights (Ch 21), which is one of the best chapters in the whole series for me. :shrug:

There's not much trolloc action in this book, the good guys are mostly maneuvering against the Dark One's human agents.

If you hate this so much, perhaps it makes no sense to finish the series? Or at least, it might be better if you read summaries of Crown of Swords, Winter's Heart (while reading the very last chapter of Winter's Hearth) and Crossroads of Twilight. The pace starts up noticeably in Knife of Dreams, and there's also quite a lot of trolloc action in there.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, Crown of Swords -> Crossroads of Twilight are the absolute nadir of WoT. Even the vitally important high note at the end of Winter's Heart feels dull and flat, which is sad for the first real victory against the Shadow since the Age of Legends.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

22 chapters into Crown of Swords. This book is absolutely awful so far.

I can’t even think of the last time a trolloc was even mentioned. Fires of Heaven, maybe?

I'm only on chapter 5, so far it's just, "Perrin smells fear from X. Perrin smells anger from Y. Perrin smells a range of emotions from Z"

Perrin Capybara is such a bad character :colbert:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Trollocs stopped being relevantly threatening by book 5, after which men killed each other by tens to hundreds of thousands at a time.

The problem is, in all the din of the expanded scale and the overwhelming application of Power, we rarely return convincingly to the kind of pathos that the action in books 4 or 5 evoke.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 19, 2018

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

OAquinas posted:

I had understood that question as being more about Plate in general, rather than Dalinar getting Radiant Plate, specifically. But yeah, at the end of Words of Radiance, the Stormfather tells Dalinar that he "will be a Radiant without Shards".

Personally, I am of the belief that those hints were Sanderson intentionally foreshadowing Dalinar becoming a Radiant. That said, if you look at how Dalinar's powers manifest in Oathbringer, yeah, he's a terrifying force of nature in battle but I think it's arguable that he has a more massive effect not personally fighting battles anymore. I mean, he can summon Perpendicularities and recharge spheres not to mention the effect that has on Soulcasting.

Fezz posted:

As far as we're aware there are a max of three Bondsmiths, one of whom is bonded to the Stormfather. The other two are the Nightwatcher and the Sibling, who is a mystery.

The in text quote from Words of Radiance is where the idea of only three Bondsmiths came from; but the full quote in context is that three is not an uncommon number of Bondsmiths and that they didn't typically want to increase their numbers by much more, the implication being that the constraint comes from the Bondsmiths themselves, because to grow to the magnitude of the other orders was seen as "seditious".

Also lots of theories on Stormfather = splinter of Honor, Nightwatcher = same for Cultivation, then Sibling being a 50/50 mix, then whether going beyond that would mean bonding an Unmade and therefore the reason why increasing numbers would be "seditious".

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Leng posted:

The in text quote from Words of Radiance is where the idea of only three Bondsmiths came from; but the full quote in context is that three is not an uncommon number of Bondsmiths and that they didn't typically want to increase their numbers by much more, the implication being that the constraint comes from the Bondsmiths themselves, because to grow to the magnitude of the other orders was seen as "seditious".

Also lots of theories on Stormfather = splinter of Honor, Nightwatcher = same for Cultivation, then Sibling being a 50/50 mix, then whether going beyond that would mean bonding an Unmade and therefore the reason why increasing numbers would be "seditious".

i do generally like the idea of bondsmiths being very powerful Support casters, basically. for instance, it seems like a lot of the special things that Urithuru has that let it grow gardens/etc are associated with the SIbling, and stopped working when the Sibling withdrew. It's not the flashiest set of powers but making your base be able to independently support an entire army is a pretty good core competency.

also the very unscientific impression i got from reading WoBs was that the Stormfather/Nightwatcher/Sibling don't want to bond more than one at a time, as opposed to the Bondsmiths refusing to allow, say, a second Stormfather member despite the option being available.

I think you're right to wonder what other splinters might be able to do this. To me, it feels like Unmade are so associated with being the evil versions of specific orders that bonding with one doesn't seem like it should grant the common Bondsmith surges - maybe bonding an Unmade makes you particularly powerful at what that one does, like how Reshepir seemed to want to bond with Shallan, and already basically does evil lightweaving stuff.

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 20, 2018

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
I'm just waiting for the moment that Dalinar summons the stormfather as a blade. I know that he says it's not going to happen and that he won't be a blade but given how sanderson goes there will be an epic moment where Dalinar is about to die and the stormfather will come to save him that way. Dalinar with a blade and plate full bondsmith radiant would send chills down my spine.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Strumpy posted:

I'm just waiting for the moment that Dalinar summons the stormfather as a blade. I know that he says it's not going to happen and that he won't be a blade but given how sanderson goes there will be an epic moment where Dalinar is about to die and the stormfather will come to save him that way. Dalinar with a blade and plate full bondsmith radiant would send chills down my spine.

he uh, already did, it was very rude

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I still say that Dalinar is going to reunite the splinters of Honor and become the new Honor. So he'll become the Stormfather instead of summoning him.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Infinite Karma posted:

I still say that Dalinar is going to reunite the splinters of Honor and become the new Honor. So he'll become the Stormfather instead of summoning him.

seems like a fairly safe bet, except that the good news is that the Stormfather was his own thing even before absorbing a bunch of Honor's power so he'll still be around, though it might seriously change how smart and independent he is.

i think that's one of the things brandon's been RAFOing, how much that investiture from Honor affected the Stormfather, because we see how the Nightwatcher is more like a.. pet AI or something for Cultivation? it's definitely still learning a lot and seems a lot farther away from the level of sapience the SF has, though that is also complicated by the fact that the Nahel bond makes spren more normal and relatable to humans.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

By Book 10, the Bondsmith is going to summon the Stormfather as a spaceship / orbital defense platform :toxx:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I mean, where the hell else is this shared universe going

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

I mean, where the hell else is this shared universe going

windrunners being able to manipulate pressure is definitely to make space travel easier in the future

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Telling your spaceship that it’s falling toward your destination is a supremely powerful skill. A year of “falling” at 1g puts you at .999c. That’s merely one surge of one shard.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

So you stick Dalinar on a ship and have an "Infinite Perpendicularity" drive?

Or maybe the Elsecallers shift it to the Cognitive Realm, and use it to create warp drive.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Leng posted:

I had understood that question as being more about Plate in general, rather than Dalinar getting Radiant Plate, specifically. But yeah, at the end of Words of Radiance, the Stormfather tells Dalinar that he "will be a Radiant without Shards".

Personally, I am of the belief that those hints were Sanderson intentionally foreshadowing Dalinar becoming a Radiant. That said, if you look at how Dalinar's powers manifest in Oathbringer, yeah, he's a terrifying force of nature in battle but I think it's arguable that he has a more massive effect not personally fighting battles anymore. I mean, he can summon Perpendicularities and recharge spheres not to mention the effect that has on Soulcasting.

I never really thought about this, but was Shallan's lightweaving augmented by the presence of the perpendicularity? I think both Shallan and Jasnah remark that maybe her illusions were mixed with soulcasting (to add mass? to make the illusions bleed real blood?), but also she created 100x more at once than ever before

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

M_Gargantua posted:

Telling your spaceship that it’s falling toward your destination is a supremely powerful skill. A year of “falling” at 1g puts you at .999c. That’s merely one surge of one shard.

Okay but the question is does it use the gravitational strength of your destination object factoring your distance? Does directional lashing always use your current gravitational acceleration and simply apply it to the direction of your choice?

In the first case, you're always "falling" towards all other mass in the universe, but gravitational stregth is divided by the square of the distance so magnifying any source of gravity besides your current planet is worthless.

In the second case once you escape your planet you're barely subject to any gravitational acceleration from anything compared to any sort of thrust generation so lashing isn't going to move you anywhere.

In either case it would make the gravitation surge useless for interplanetary/interstellar travel, unless there's a way to dampen inertia and then use the lashing to magnify slingshot maneuvers without ripping your spacecraft and passengers apart.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think it's based on your home planet - it would explain why the fused all have slower accelerations

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah it's not purely relative, so it'll still be useful in space

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Tunicate posted:

I think it's based on your home planet - it would explain why the fused all have slower accelerations

That does track with Identity and Connection being tied to Investutire. Now we just find someone from Sel (1.5 cosmere standard size planet) and use the Feruchemy trick of storing Identity/Connection/Investiture so a Surgebinder can Lash based on the higher gravity planet.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

trick the magic into thinking you were born on the sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

After rereading Sanderson, does anyone else get the vibe that he is weirdly cool with arranged marriages? Like the first time I came across it in Elantris? Warbreaker? it was kind of like - "oh-ho, he's turned expectations round on their head". But it seems weirdly consistent even from characters like Laral when she berates Kaladin for thinking she needs saving from her marriage.