Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

KaptainKrunk posted:

Do the Taliban really have any reason to negotiate with the government when they're inflicting such high casualties on army and police forces?

It's impossible to say because we have a very poor idea of the Taliban's grand strategy and very little data regarding actual circumstances on the ground in Afghanistan. There are vast regions of the country where its just impossible for western civilians to even know who's in control.

The Taliban leadership haven't really shifted their negotiating position much. Their position on negotiations is that all foreign forces should withdraw and they should be acknowledged as the legitimate government of Afghanistan, and then they will talk peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
By all foreign forces, do they include Pakistan's proxies?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Squalid posted:

The Taliban leadership haven't really shifted their negotiating position much. Their position on negotiations is that all foreign forces should withdraw and they should be acknowledged as the legitimate government of Afghanistan, and then they will talk peace.

There was an article not long ago saying they'd agreed in principle to some American forces remaining.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/AbbyMartin/status/1029358730616418305

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

By all foreign forces, do they include Pakistan's proxies?

Probably not, since the Taliban themselves are a Pakistani proxy.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Sergg posted:

UN report says there are still about 20,000 to 30,000 ISIS fighters in Iraq & Syria. They have about 4,000 fighters in Afghanistan but the Taliban has been wrecking their poo poo recently and forced the bulk of their northern guys to surrender to the government. Honestly that's pretty low considering they were in control of an area the size of Britain a few years ago. Civilian cleanup crews are still digging bodies out of the rubble of Raqqa and Mosul. Bodies buried/mummified in the sand are dangerous because they might be booby-trapped or wearing bomb vests.

Saladman posted:

Well, 20'000 fighters could mean anything to be honest. It probably means "every able-bodied male between the ages of 12 and 40" because otherwise that number makes zero sense, as there are no more than 150k people total under ISIS-controlled territory, probably less, and almost all of whom are in Hajin. I don't think the original quote said "organized" either. I imagine most of the organized fighters are buried under rubble in Raqqa and Mosul.
Yeah, there is no way in hell ISIS has 20,000 actual, able-bodied, willing to continue fighting fighters left. They've got a couple thousand dudes in the Hajin area at most, the only way you get to the 20,000 number is if you call half the people left in Hajin fighters. This article gives more realistic numbers from sources on the ground:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/syria-isis-mosul-conflict-iraq-us-uk-kurds-anniversary-a8439181.html

quote:

Several hundred suicide bombers and 4,000 fighters belonging to Isis are preparing to defend Hajin in eastern Syria close to the border with Iraq. The town is the last stronghold of the Islamic State, the militarised Islamic cult that three years ago controlled territory the size of Great Britain.

The struggle for Hajin comes exactly a year after Isis suffered a decisive defeat with the capture of Mosul on 10 July 2017 by Iraqi forces backed by a US-led coalition.

Multiple anti-Isis forces are now closing in on Hajin, which is on the east bank of the Euphrates in Deir ez-Zor province, says a local eyewitness who spoke to The Independent after escaping to Kurdish-held territory.

“I heard from people who are working with Daesh [Isis] officials that there are more than 200 child suicide bombers, called the Lion Cubs, in Hajin,” said Sattam, 32, an Arabic teacher who lived until recently in Bahara, a northern neighbourhood of Hajin.

“There are still more than 35,000 people and 4,000 Daesh in the town,” he said, adding that his relatives, who are still in Hajin, say that Isis has dug deep tunnels there to protect themselves from aerial attack.

Oh, right, ISIS doesn't limit itself to adults when looking for fighters. They'll very willingly gang-press children into being suicide bombers. God they really are a loving death cult.:smithicide:

And now I have to ask if those 200 children are included in that "4,000 Daesh" number. Is a child suicide bomber considered a fighter? Is ISIS killing my humanity that I have to ask that question in a non-hypothetical manner? (Yes to the second part.)

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 14, 2018

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

KaptainKrunk posted:

Do the Taliban really have any reason to negotiate with the government when they're inflicting such high casualties on army and police forces?

As soon as American military power is out, they will take whatever they want, wherever they want. The security forces can barely hold a capital with US CAS, no chance when its gone.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Saladin Rising posted:

Yeah, there is no way in hell ISIS has 20,000 actual, able-bodied, willing to continue fighting fighters left. They've got a couple thousand dudes in the Hajin area at most, the only way you get to the 20,000 number is if you call half the people left in Hajin fighters. This article gives more realistic numbers from sources on the ground:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/syria-isis-mosul-conflict-iraq-us-uk-kurds-anniversary-a8439181.html

Oh, right, ISIS doesn't limit itself to adults when looking for fighters. They'll very willingly gang-press children into being suicide bombers. God they really are a loving death cult.:smithicide:

And now I have to ask if those 200 children are included in that "4,000 Daesh" number. Is a child suicide bomber considered a fighter? Is ISIS killing my humanity that I have to ask that question in a non-hypothetical manner? (Yes to the second part.)

They're probably estimating thousands of sleepers spread throughout Iraq & Syria. Remember ISIS had tens of thousands of members before they ever controlled any territory.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

pro starcraft loser posted:

As soon as American military power is out, they will take whatever they want, wherever they want. The security forces can barely hold a capital with US CAS, no chance when its gone.

The US can supply CAS forever if we want to. As long as bodies aren't coming home, nobody notices or cares. Even if we stop and the Taliban starts grabbing poo poo, we can always help the government take it back like we helped the Iraqi government take back Mosul. The crisis could conceivably even force the government to get their poo poo together and professionalize like the Iraqis did, though I wouldn't bet on it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Sergg posted:

They're probably estimating thousands of sleepers spread throughout Iraq & Syria. Remember ISIS had tens of thousands of members before they ever controlled any territory.

Every child is an enemy combatant.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Everyone who moves is ISIS. Everyone who stands still is well-disciplined ISIS.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I/P is thataway.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

pro starcraft loser posted:

They were never able to take whatever, wherever they wanted. Even at the height of their power they mostly controlled the Pashtun majority areas in the Southern and central regions. Militias like the Taliban tend to rely heavily on local support and have a lot of trouble operating away from friendly areas. The entire reason the country has been so unstable is that none of the major factions have majority control of the entire country and they all tend to mistrust and dislike the others.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 15, 2018

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Warbadger posted:

They were never able to take whatever, wherever they wanted. Even at the height of their power they did not control many areas outside of the Pashtun majority areas in the Southern and central regions. Militias like the Taliban tend to rely heavily on local support and have a lot of trouble operating away from friendly areas.

True. Still though the ANA is in a pretty bad spot right now. Today the Taliban completely destroyed a garrison in the north of the country. There's not much reliable news but ToloNews, an Afghan online publications, reports that the Taliban cut off and besieged a base for two days, killing 30+ defenders, and then another 40+ survivors surrendered. According to the Taliban the prisoners were conscripted into their own forces. This is the height of the Afghan fighting season so you expect major clashes to occur, but even so this has been a pretty rough week.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Theres NO WAY on earth Isis has 30k actual fighting men. Maybe 30k men exist under isis that are between 14 to 72, not a true reflectiom of fighters

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Squalid posted:

True. Still though the ANA is in a pretty bad spot right now. Today the Taliban completely destroyed a garrison in the north of the country. There's not much reliable news but ToloNews, an Afghan online publications, reports that the Taliban cut off and besieged a base for two days, killing 30+ defenders, and then another 40+ survivors surrendered. According to the Taliban the prisoners were conscripted into their own forces. This is the height of the Afghan fighting season so you expect major clashes to occur, but even so this has been a pretty rough week.

Taliban used fleeting retreats to create bunched up ana guys getting duked 3 or 4 in short volleys. Pretty nasty. Few guys high as poo poo tried to run away and got killed 5 or 6 right there. After that the taliban literlly brought nvgs in from another unit and reaked havok on the garrison all night. The west part of the garrison got raided in rapid succession all day 2nd day. 2nd night of no sleep ruined the defenders morale. Surrender shortly after that.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 15, 2018

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

CrazyLoon posted:

Everyone who moves is ISIS. Everyone who stands still is well-disciplined ISIS.

That was pretty much their approach to male Sunnis when the Shiite militias took ISIS territory.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

20,000 is a tiny number considering it's split between 2 countries with a combined population of 51 million. With the number of dead and refugees it's probably closer to 47, maybe 46 million. The UN estimated they still had a few thousand foreign fighters but the bulk are domestic members. I dunno how enthusiastic they are about bringing the glorious caliphate back. Probably a bunch of them are guys with a leg blown off who were in the local hospital when their town fell to Kurdish forces. I imagine there's also a good number who sat on the sidelines and watched every other male in their family get shot and dumped in a ditch and is now out for revenge. Maybe a good number are just poor fuckers stranded with official membership cards who are about as ISIS as I am still Catholic.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sergg posted:

20,000 is a tiny number considering it's split between 2 countries with a combined population of 51 million. With the number of dead and refugees it's probably closer to 47, maybe 46 million. The UN estimated they still had a few thousand foreign fighters but the bulk are domestic members. I dunno how enthusiastic they are about bringing the glorious caliphate back. Probably a bunch of them are guys with a leg blown off who were in the local hospital when their town fell to Kurdish forces. I imagine there's also a good number who sat on the sidelines and watched every other male in their family get shot and dumped in a ditch and is now out for revenge. Maybe a good number are just poor fuckers stranded with official membership cards who are about as ISIS as I am still Catholic.

There are still nazis and hitlers been dead for 70 years. Isis will be the same way, kids still watch isis propaganda in Iraq currently, maybe it will be rebranded but this area of iraq has been the wild west forever.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 15, 2018

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Sergg posted:

Oh ok 20,000 from this perspective is totally plausible. "ISIS fighters" to me means the ISIS members who are still currently armed and shooting back at the SDF, the Iraqi Army, etc. I'd tend to use a different descriptor for the 20,000 group, like ISIS sympathizers, sleeper agents, potential insurgents, "current and former ISIS members", or something like that. I guess there's not really a single catch-all term, now that I think about it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Turkish lira is recovering, thanks to a $15b investment pledge from Qatar.

:shrug:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

enraged_camel posted:

har har, eat poo poo middle eastern fascists.

To be honest though, I dont think he's out of the woods by a long shot, Also, I dont think this will really solve the issues at hand, Erdogan has to fundamentally change the way he's running the economy to really shape up the economy and make sure this poo poo doesnt get worse, and it's time to admit that he's been committing alot of mistakes recently and he has to stop alot of the corruption and cronyism in his government.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

enraged_camel posted:

Turkey had Qatar's back when it's neighbors placed it under blockade last year. Turkey supplied nearly 200,000 tons of vegetables a day and most of Qatar's dairy needs.

That choice is paying dividends now.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Al-Saqr posted:

har har, eat poo poo middle eastern fascists.

To be honest though, I dont think he's out of the woods by a long shot, Also, I dont think this will really solve the issues at hand, Erdogan has to fundamentally change the way he's running the economy to really shape up the economy and make sure this poo poo doesnt get worse, and it's time to admit that he's been committing alot of mistakes recently and he has to stop alot of the corruption and cronyism in his government.

Those are features, not bugs, of Erdogan's approach to governance.
Also as a middle eastern fascist he isn't eating poo poo from such a development.

Grape fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 15, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Things Erdogan isn't going to do, no matter what:
  • Admit he made mistakes
  • Be less corrupt
  • Be less cronyist
  • Be less authoritarian

He's been in power for too long to be redeemable, his downward spiral will not be stopped as long as he's in charge.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Erdogan is not thinking through his mistakes, he is instead sitting at his desk, straining himself and ignoring the clock. Hard at work, sweating, stressing, and slamming his fists on the table.
There must be, MUST be a way. To piss off Georgia, the last remaining neighboring country that doesn't hate them.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

how many wells did Erdogan try to tap before qatar gave him water. That's the real question, and where did Qatar get the money? Why drop 15b when you're under siege, There must be a return that is greater than 15b, Qatar's having an existential crisis right now with the sauds planning invasions etc.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

LeoMarr posted:

how many wells did Erdogan try to tap before qatar gave him water. That's the real question, and where did Qatar get the money? Why drop 15b when you're under siege, There must be a return that is greater than 15b, Qatar's having an existential crisis right now with the sauds planning invasions etc.

Presumably Qatar is invested in cultivating their mid-east nonallignment pact.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

LeoMarr posted:

literally three posts above dude:

OhFunny posted:

Turkey had Qatar's back when it's neighbors placed it under blockade last year. Turkey supplied nearly 200,000 tons of vegetables a day and most of Qatar's dairy needs.

That choice is paying dividends now.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

enraged_camel posted:

literally three posts above dude:

Yes obviously. But they still had to ask for that support. They didnt know trump was going to launch an economic war against them this year during the qatar crisis last year. Qatar didnt up and decide to give Turkey 15b. I don't want to go into what ifs too heavily, but Qatar has to be receiving some future benefit from Turkey for helping them now, Qatar was in a great position to negotiate something out of turkey to release the aid. They didnt walk in and go "Oh yeah turkey good guys, helped us during a crisis so we will ask nothing in return and pledge 15b to the cause". That's not sensible. Qataris are businessmen at heart, just because turkey helped them doesn't mean they are not going to come out of the room without a win win.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Stronger relations between Qatar and Turkey further dissuade KSA's invasion ambitions.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Conspiratiorist posted:

Stronger relations between Qatar and Turkey further dissuade KSA's invasion ambitions.

Tying turkey to Qatars fate. Easy how a large scale conflict can happen when everyone is in intertwined alliances.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 16, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Besides the logistical assistance when Saudi/Emirates tried to blockade Qatar, Turkey also lent military aid.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/12/171227051912500.html

In other Turkish news, China will just buy the country wholesale.

http://www.atimes.com/article/china-will-buy-turkey-on-the-cheap/

David P. Goldman posted:

Turkey’s economy is likely to shrink by 10% to 20% before the bleeding stops, as I predicted June 12. Erdogan’s supposed economic miracle followed the old formula of Third World kleptocracies of the past, namely massive domestic credit issuance supported by massive foreign borrowing. Turks bought foreign consumer goods with the proceeds and the country’s current account deficit swelled to 6.5% of national output. That’s close to where the Greek current account deficit stood in early 2012 when the country’s economy imploded.

The last time the Turkish lira blew up back in 2001, the country went to the International Monetary Fund for a loan and accepted strict austerity conditions in return for the bailout. Erdogan is unlikely to do so. In a rambling speech to supporters today, he said that Turkey was exploring alternatives with China, Russia, and Iran. Earlier in the week, Erdogan said that Turkey would issue so-called panda bonds in China’s local-currency market.

That’s just the door prize, judging from commentary on China’s English-language television channel CGTN. The Chinese broadcaster quoted Turkish economist Emre Alkin: “Stability for the Turkish Lira will come from cooperation with valuable countries like China. It’s impossible for the Central Bank to do something alone, resources are needed. If this resource will come from China, then it will come from China, but the important thing is to make use of this resource. It is clear we need the wisdom, the ideas and the suggestions of countries like China.”

Turkey will have to sell some of the state’s most important assets. With the Turkish lira trading at 6.26 to the dollar, the whole of the Istanbul 100 equity index is worth just US$35 billion. If Chinese investors were to buy every share of every company on the stock index, Turkey would raise enough foreign exchange to cover just seven months of its current account deficit. Turkey will have to sell a great deal more than its publicly traded companies to raise the money it requires, and it will also have to tighten its belt drastically.

Altay Atli, a Turkish economist and past contributor to Asia Times, told the Chinese television station that Turkey will offer China more partnerships in its ports and other transportation infrastructure. China’s state-owned shipping company COSCO Pacific already owns 65% of Turkey’s third largest port. Atli said, “I believe Turkey and China could also expand their partnerships in Turkey’s other ports, in the Mediterranean Sea, in the Aegean Sea, and at the Black Sea. And a critical move is not just to combine these ports with railway projects and extend the lines, but to create a logistical network.”

China has the opportunity to undertake the Sinification of Turkey at low cost. China’s largest telecom equipment company Huawei already is working on 5G Internet with Turk Telecom, in a deal covering cloud computing, the Internet of Things and – most importantly – public security. Alibaba, China’s answer to Amazon and Google, invested earlier this year in Turkey’s e-commerce platform Trendyol.

The combination of mobile broadband, rail and sea logistics, e-commerce and e-finance will absorb Turkey into the greater Chinese economy. Not long from now containers of Chinese-made parts will arrive by rail in Anatolia for assembly into finished products to be sold in Europe and the Middle East.

President Erdogan will be able to shake his fist at Washington and talk of Turkish national pride, while turning his country into a satrapy of China.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 16, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

China wants West Turkestan to complete the set.

50 years from now: "The historical record is clear that the inhabitants of Anatolia have always been Han Chinese."

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 16, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sinteres posted:

50 years from now: "The historical record is clear that the inhabitants of Anatolia have always been Han Chinese."
The Eastern Roman Empire: Easter than you thought!

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

Well, the original turkic peoples emigrated to central Asia and Anatolia from Mongolia and Xinjiang so that narrative is likely sellable to Han supremacists even today :v:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Sinteres posted:

"We sent the Turkic tribes packing westward, and by god we'll claim anywhere they ended up."

EDIT:
Greeks and Iranians: lol baby Turks, no history horsemen, stole our poo poo because they got none of their own

Turks: :qq:

China: Hey buddy, I got 5000 years history to sell ya, just one little condition...

Grape fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 16, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

They should throw the case out on the grounds that Erdogan isn't all that friendly:

https://twitter.com/sarahemclaugh/status/1030162311896621056

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1030235363258851328
He's already forgotten the dude's name. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Surprised he didn't call him Obi-wan.