Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusher3
Aug 10, 2018

I'm not an early bird or a night owl. I am some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
Today is the day I start my next set of courses. After Discrete Math, College Algebra looks like a breeze from the Syllabus. The only class that looks like it'll be interesting is Intro to Literature, which based on the syllabus, looks like a metric asston of reading. We're starting with an analysis of Macbeth and Antigone which is due by this Wednesday and then a brief 5 pager by Sunday about stuff I'm not entirely sure about lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Does anyone have any advice for me as a transfer student trying to get scholarships? I'm going from a smaller school to Ohio State in the spring and the guard covers my tuition but I can't swing the living expenses out of pocket. I only get $1800 of pell a semester and am trying not to get into any debt. I didn't apply to any at this school this year because I missed the deadline in January but will apply for next year at OSU.

I have a 4.0 now, is there any chance that there's a scholarship that could do the job for me and cover an apartment and some chicken and rice to live on?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

When I got into OSU I had to take a general survey/questionnaire to determine scholarship eligibility. Never heard back so it's kind of a mystery.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?
Have not attended OSU, know people who have and live in the area (I'm just outside Cleveland).
Let me shake the tree and see what drops out.
Also, you should join The College of Saint Brutus. They get in Armor and hit each other with sticks.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

rifles posted:

Does anyone have any advice for me as a transfer student trying to get scholarships? I'm going from a smaller school to Ohio State in the spring and the guard covers my tuition but I can't swing the living expenses out of pocket. I only get $1800 of pell a semester and am trying not to get into any debt. I didn't apply to any at this school this year because I missed the deadline in January but will apply for next year at OSU.

I have a 4.0 now, is there any chance that there's a scholarship that could do the job for me and cover an apartment and some chicken and rice to live on?

Yeah. Make sure your scholarship isnt just "tuition and fees"

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Paging Soulex and friends. I need help here. Voc rehab supervisor is saying no to columbia. Need to appeal it. Counselor is finding out. Apparently im considered marketable and they dont want to approve a high cost school

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Prove you arent marketable and that this program will allow you to become marketable

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Soulex posted:

Prove you arent marketable and that this program will allow you to become marketable

I dunno how to do that. Also it may be because she thinks I have a bachelors and I dont. And then there is trying to send me to a CUNY 4 year.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

rifles posted:

From one of my guys in the area,

"There are lots of local scholarships, both local to columbus, as well as local to whatever his hometown is. They are usually small, in the 250-500 range. But you snag a couple of those each year and that can make quite a difference.

I know there are some veteran specific scholarships if you just google them, as well as some scholarships specifically reserved for current college kids rather than seniors in HS.

Have him go to the financial aid office on campus and talk to a campus expert there, Im sure they can give him a lot better advice than any of us likely can.

Thirdly, I know he is trying to avoid having any debt, but if taking out a small loan of 1,000 or so a semester makes the difference between living in a shack and eating ramen noodles vs an actual apartment, eating real food, and being comfortable instead of miserable, that could be the difference between enjoying school or being miserable for 4 years. And being comfortable while still living responsibly can help improve your mental health, your physical health, and your grades. While living in a shack under a bridge just to save money can affect all of those things.

Live frugally of course, but try to enjoy your time. Personally I think as long as you keep your debt down below 10,000 at the end of it, its completely manageable and can be paid off with little difficulty afterwards.

Last option, talk to the OSU ROTC office if hes really desperate. They have campus scholarships if hes so desperate for money that he would consider becoming an officer."

I concur with his small loan idea. I'm using the GI bill, but I still took out small student loans so I could reduce the financial suck and didn't have to work 2 jobs while doing school. (Having a life, wife, and responsibilities + school sucks rear end btw.) As long as you don't go bananas with the loans, you will be fine. Stable debt like student loans, car notes, and mortgages diversify your credit history and actually help build your credit in the long run.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I am talking to a current Columbia vet on vocrehab. She's telling me about something called the M28R. Its apparently the voc rehab bible and quoting from it helped her get in. I also do have a tough argument to make because I only have 30% for depression. Tough argument to make in general apparently.

Cost apparently doesn't come up in the M28R btw according to her. I think it would probably help to research two other schools and the CUNY grade center just to be able to say "no really. Columbia is the way to go."

Otherwise its time to become a slave to the student debt industry.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

MrDesaude posted:

From one of my guys in the area,

"There are lots of local scholarships, both local to columbus, as well as local to whatever his hometown is. They are usually small, in the 250-500 range. But you snag a couple of those each year and that can make quite a difference.

I know there are some veteran specific scholarships if you just google them, as well as some scholarships specifically reserved for current college kids rather than seniors in HS.

Have him go to the financial aid office on campus and talk to a campus expert there, Im sure they can give him a lot better advice than any of us likely can.

Thirdly, I know he is trying to avoid having any debt, but if taking out a small loan of 1,000 or so a semester makes the difference between living in a shack and eating ramen noodles vs an actual apartment, eating real food, and being comfortable instead of miserable, that could be the difference between enjoying school or being miserable for 4 years. And being comfortable while still living responsibly can help improve your mental health, your physical health, and your grades. While living in a shack under a bridge just to save money can affect all of those things.

Live frugally of course, but try to enjoy your time. Personally I think as long as you keep your debt down below 10,000 at the end of it, its completely manageable and can be paid off with little difficulty afterwards.

Last option, talk to the OSU ROTC office if hes really desperate. They have campus scholarships if hes so desperate for money that he would consider becoming an officer."

I concur with his small loan idea. I'm using the GI bill, but I still took out small student loans so I could reduce the financial suck and didn't have to work 2 jobs while doing school. (Having a life, wife, and responsibilities + school sucks rear end btw.) As long as you don't go bananas with the loans, you will be fine. Stable debt like student loans, car notes, and mortgages diversify your credit history and actually help build your credit in the long run.

Thanks so much. My plan was already to take a stafford loan to just sit as an emergency fund and to settle while I find a student job. My backup plan was indeed SMP ROTC scholarships even though I'd rather not be a Mustang.

I'll go talk to the financial aid office as soon as I can too.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Ok false alarm, they'll pick up the Columbia tab for undergrad. Apparently the supervisor thought I had my undergraduate degree already. My counselor is apparently a standup guy and went to talk to the supervisor after I left the appt. So I'm in and next appt is on the 21st to sort out the degree plan.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
This professor wants to reschedule our interview for an internship to Monday or Tuesday, but I have a campground reserved in Yellowstone NP starting Tuesday. Was gonna go there for my vacation for the last week before school starts, my girlfriend took off work and I have friends coming and everything. I said I'd be unavailable in my cover letter from this weekend to the first day of classes, but I guess I could do Monday morning and leave for the mountains right after

I need experience and recommendations and a little walkin around money would be great, but I don't want to give away three days of roadtripping just for an interview to not get a job after I already laid out that I wouldn't be available then lol I thought I was done with groveling to nobility for a living

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Viva Miriya posted:

I dunno how to do that. Also it may be because she thinks I have a bachelors and I dont. And then there is trying to send me to a CUNY 4 year.

What’s you’re major? What are your career goals?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

What’s you’re major? What are your career goals?

Viva Miriya posted:

Ok false alarm, they'll pick up the Columbia tab for undergrad. Apparently the supervisor thought I had my undergraduate degree already. My counselor is apparently a standup guy and went to talk to the supervisor after I left the appt. So I'm in and next appt is on the 21st to sort out the degree plan.

Political science. Goal is to get a Master's in International Affairs and go three letter as an analyst. Non government work would probably have me doing think tank poo poo.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

rifles posted:

Thanks so much. My plan was already to take a stafford loan to just sit as an emergency fund and to settle while I find a student job. My backup plan was indeed SMP ROTC scholarships even though I'd rather not be a Mustang.

I'll go talk to the financial aid office as soon as I can too.

Too Easy. You are on the right track, screw it, go ROTC. Enlisted love officers who go green to gold. Also more jingle in your pocket...

In other news, I just realized how screwed I am...

I will be running 7 days a week til Christmas (already knew that).Tuesdays I will be on Campus from 9 - 9, with about half that time in a clean room environment, and the other half trying not to burn the poo poo out of myself with a soldering Iron...

Thursday is more of the same, but instead I am at work til 1 am.

I wonder if the Kwik-e-mart up the street will sell me Rip-It by the case...

Crusher3
Aug 10, 2018

I'm not an early bird or a night owl. I am some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
I've seen Dollar Stores in San Antonio sell Rip its by the case like the ones you would get in Afghanistan xD
You can also get a 24 pack from Amazon

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Crusher3 posted:

I've seen Dollar Stores in San Antonio sell Rip its by the case like the ones you would get in Afghanistan xD
You can also get a 24 pack from Amazon

The quik-e-mart up the street here sells them in the 16 oz cans for a buck each. It isn't a matter of supply, but a matter of quantity. Dude gave me a deal of $16 for a case and he is 1000 feet from my house and open 24/7, so I really can't beat that.
I am really not doing my kidneys any favors, but I need to find a local bead on Wild Tiger. That was good poo poo too.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Wild Tiger is probably banned in the states, what with the ephedra and all.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Drinking rip its when you aren’t in the military is the drinking equivalent of walking around with a backpack and hat that is the same as whatever DoD’s camo pattern of the week is.

You are a tool.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
You can order it on Amazon

Wild Tiger Energy Drink 8.3 fl. oz 24/case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016YVE5MC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_vCUDBbX4QX32V

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sorry Cole. I can't hear you over the noise of me snacking on this MRE in the library. All the nutrition I need. Reminds me of being outside the wire.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Casimir Radon posted:

Sorry Cole. I can't hear you over the noise of me snacking on this MRE in the library. All the nutrition I need. Reminds me of being outside the wire.

WHEN IS THE 4TH OF JULY?????? THE FIREWORKS REMIND ME OF BATTLE AND THATS THE ONLY TIME I AM AT PEACE, ‘RAH???

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

boop the snoot posted:

Drinking rip its when you aren’t in the military is the drinking equivalent of walking around with a backpack and hat that is the same as whatever DoD’s camo pattern of the week is.

You are a tool.

Quantity has a quality all its own, and lowest bidder wins. Keep your high horse. I'm on a budget, and F Bomb is tasty.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Pissing in a bucket is free (except for a one time investment into a bucket) and probably has the same flavor.

And is probably healthier.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Simmer down there Bear Grylls, wouldn't want you to spill something on your Grunt Style shirt.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
*sips rip it*

“Heh, look at this dweeb who just can’t let go of the military :smug:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

How either of you got into university is a mystery to me.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

boop the snoot posted:

*sips rip it*

“Heh, look at this dweeb who just can’t let go of the military :smug:

Good stuff.

Oh, and Ebb, we are good actors. Not good enough for the local theater troupe, but good enough when it counts.
I only lick the windows on Fridays. Speaking of which, If you will excuse me...

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I helped my school check off another diversification box because I think I was the only veteran in undergrad for a while.

Soshii
Jul 22, 2018
Shots fired!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

EBB posted:

Free money

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I just remember a few years ago, a guy behind the counter at a local shop turned out to be a vet and volunteered that the dollar store nearby had Rip-Its in one particular aisle.

I found them. Welp. :shrug:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

EBB posted:

The university saw that the government was willing to give them free money for no real effort on the universities part. gently caress the student.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I stopped drinking caffeine after one of the Ugandan on the opposing shift from me was found dead in his room from a heart attack, bowels voided, surrounded by empty Rip-It cans.

He was only about 40 too, can't make this poo poo up.

At least stopping caffeine entirely has made it so that my energy level is more consistent throughout the day rather than having huge spikes and low points.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

The Rat posted:

I stopped drinking caffeine after one of the Ugandan on the opposing shift from me was found dead in his room from a heart attack, bowels voided, surrounded by empty Rip-It cans.

He was only about 40 too, can't make this poo poo up.

At least stopping caffeine entirely has made it so that my energy level is more consistent throughout the day rather than having huge spikes and low points.

Yikes.
At my absolute worst I was downing two a day, and that was the week before finals. I have been thinking about cutting pop and energy drinks entirely. Might be a good time to get serious on that.
I need to see how this schedule affects me. I took the summer off after going full time school and a full time job, and now I am back at it with 2 hour breaks between classes and running 7 days a week. Yes I am a masochist and an idiot, but I really am sick of working a poo poo job and need to get out as quickly as possible.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

The university saw that the government was willing to give them free money for no real effort on the universities part. gently caress the student.

I had forgotten this reality. Today I got my first couple books for this semester and realized that several contributors were colleagues. Maybe when school's all done I can write and get some of that sweet book money. All 0.00000001 dollars per copy sold.

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006

MrDesaude posted:

Yikes.
At my absolute worst I was downing two a day, and that was the week before finals. I have been thinking about cutting pop and energy drinks entirely. Might be a good time to get serious on that.
I need to see how this schedule affects me. I took the summer off after going full time school and a full time job, and now I am back at it with 2 hour breaks between classes and running 7 days a week. Yes I am a masochist and an idiot, but I really am sick of working a poo poo job and need to get out as quickly as possible.

I've been on that real poo poo, full time school and work for like 3 years now, with summer classes in the mix. It's been an unreal crash course in time management and priority shifts and I'm definitely using that as a "how well do you deal with stressful situations" questions in interviews. Luckily I'm set to graduate this spring so I'm going full bore this year, as there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

I've actually got a p good job that pays well, but gently caress if I'm not going to live the rest of my life not doing something I'm passionate about especially if Uncle Sam's giving me a free ride. It helps that IT vets with security clearances are a shoe in for ridiculous amounts of money working for defense contractors.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Lets Get Patchy posted:

It helps that IT vets with security clearances are a shoe in for ridiculous amounts of money working for defense contractors.
Speaking of which.. I have a secret clearance and should graduate from my CS program right around the time my reserves contract is up (5 active, 3 reserves, 8 total). My understanding is the clearance lasts 10 years and so would expire after I am (expected to be) out of the Navy. Is there anything I can/should do to get it renewed before separating to retain a clearance for future employment prospects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You won't be able to get a renewal started until you're towards the absolute end of your clearance, and most likely it will technically lapse because renewals are taking forever right now.

If you're cleared then you put that at the top of your resume. Like right below your name block. In all caps. With red font.

If you get a cleared gig with like 1-2 years left on your clearance you'll have no problem with an employer renewing it.