Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

They should fire that guy.

At the very least, fire his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah didn’t they bring him back?

They suspended him but they're letting his contract run out at the end of this year rather than fire him, which is part of why them seeming to have instantly fired Gunn looks so foolish.

Of course, he'll probably get the same deal from Netflix that Shonda Rhimes and Bryan Fuller (?) got once he leaves.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
In the end, if you think Gunn should have been fired, all those other people and incidents won't make you think Gunn should be less fired, they just mean that you think Gunn's firing should be the first step of a more comprehensive cleaning up of Disney, and you likely see opposition to Gunn being fired as part of a movement to excuse folks like Lasseter and Depp.

I mean I don't think Disney rehiring Gunn would in any circumstance make firing Depp more likely.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think them still employing Johnny Depp is a better recent example since we know he is abusive and not just making jokes

Do they? He doesn't seem to have any upcoming movies with them.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Fangz posted:

In the end, if you think Gunn should have been fired, all those other people and incidents won't make you think Gunn should be less fired, they just mean that you think Gunn's firing should be the first step of a more comprehensive cleaning up of Disney, and you likely see opposition to Gunn being fired as part of a movement to excuse folks like Lasseter and Depp.

They shouldn't excuse folks like Lasseter and Depp - they should be treated the exact same way as Gunn was. If they're looking to clean up their image and atone for the multitude of mistakes they've made in the past, they need to do so, otherwise the whole thing looks disingenuous

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
From this point on Disney will have to enforce a zero tolerance policy or it's going to make them look foolish.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Do they? He doesn't seem to have any upcoming movies with them.

It's not clear to me. I think the Pirates franchise is theoretically still not dead yet but we haven't heard anything about it for a year. I think this is the last report about it, which is basically "well when we made movie 5 they had me sign a contract for two movies"

https://screenrant.com/pirates-caribbean-6-kaya-scodelario-return/

quote:

They shouldn't excuse folks like Lasseter and Depp - they should be treated the exact same way as Gunn was.

So should they be fired or hashtag rehired? Bringing in Depp and Lasseter really doesn't help Gunn's case, unless you think they like Depp and Lasseter.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 16, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of the bigger Lasseter-related embarrassments was that they released a "soundtrack" to the Jungle Cruise ride with Lasseter (whose first job at Disney was working at Disneyland as a "tour guide" on the ride) providing a commentary... after people accused him of harassment and it was announced that he was going to be let go.

There's a Jungle Cruise movie coming out next year and it sounds virtually identical to The African Queen except with Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt instead of Bogart and Hepburn. :v:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of the bigger Lasseter-related embarrassments was that they released a "soundtrack" to the Jungle Cruise ride with Lasseter (whose first job at Disney was working at Disneyland as a "tour guide" on the ride) providing a commentary... after people accused him of harassment and it was announced that he was going to be let go.

It wasn't a soundtrack, it was a children's book where the main character was drawn to look like Lasseter and his nametag read "John". It was meant to be an homage. After he was exposed, the original plan was to simply redraw the character, change the name, and release it as scheduled. Some higher-up at Disney found out about the proposed change, blew a gasket, and demanded the book be released with the Lasseter homages intact.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It wasn't a soundtrack, it was a children's book where the main character was drawn to look like Lasseter and his nametag read "John". It was meant to be an homage. After he was exposed, the original plan was to simply redraw the character, change the name, and release it as scheduled. Some higher-up at Disney found out about the proposed change, blew a gasket, and demanded the book be released with the Lasseter homages intact.

Hahahaha, that's much worse.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

X-O posted:

The special effects reel is pretty great how they put everything together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4QDsXXfjG0

Man Josh Brolin acted the hell out of this. Some of what he was doing didn't come through in Thanos unfortunately.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Can someone give me the quick and dirty on Lasseter? I somehow seem to have missed that particular scandal.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so while we're at it, Disney should put an end to the production of things like Family Guy now that they own it?

Because they have the same content as Gunn's old tweets and they air on national television.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You say that like you're expecting us to defend loving family guy of all things

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I will. Those things went through network censors, any liability is on the network.

They don't care as long as it is within their control.

They won't find such things by surprise in Cherry Chevapravatdumrong's Twitter feed.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 16, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

You say that like you're expecting us to defend loving family guy of all things

Someone will.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm saying that that's not going to happen, and the fact that nobody seems aware of the similarities shows the complete and utter lack of perspective on any of this.

Gunn's old shock jock shlock and his audacious sense of humor was the reason they hired him. They knew his history and it was exactly what they wanted. They're only treating it as a problem now because the wrong people found out how to weaponize accountability and they're afraid of controversy, especially when Gunn is speaking out against political figures and they're trying to get a major merger approved.

Gunn's old poo poo isn't stuff like Roseanne's, or Depp's, or anyone else's, in that it was not a racist diatribe or abuse towards a particular person. It wasn't even a tacit support of any particular values or ideas. It was the social media equivalent of an episode of freaking South Park. His parties? Were satirical parodies of things like the Catholic Church involving consenting adults. Even if Gunn isn't proud of stuff like that, it's light years away from the stuff coming out of the #MeToo movement or creators bolting themselves to the alt-right.

quote:

I will. Those things went through network censors, any liability is on the network.

They don't care as long as it is within their control.

They won't find such things by surprise in Cherry Chevapravatdumrong's Twitter feed.

Who exactly is supposed to monitor and approve James Gunn's twitter feed? You're acting like he subverted some great authority by going there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s really too bad that plea-bargained out rapist and Nazi supporter Mike Thernovich has some kind of moral sway in the media instead of having died alone by his own hand a long long time ago.

SavoyTruffle
Jan 20, 2005

~~grief is good~~
They should fire James Gunn for making rape jokes but should also stop using Weird Mike as an unofficial personnel consultant for being an actual rapist.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nodosaur posted:

so while we're at it, Disney should put an end to the production of things like Family Guy now that they own it?

Because they have the same content as Gunn's old tweets and they air on national television.

Yes because it's loving garbage.

But they don't own it yet.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nodosaur posted:

Who exactly is supposed to monitor and approve James Gunn's twitter feed?
James Gunn

quote:

You're acting like he subverted some great authority by going there.

Not a great moral authority, but a great authority in the sense of the power they hold. His crime is having not been controlled by authority his whole life. Someone like Seth MacFarlane has always been under the control of authority and always stayed within the bounds of his employer's control, because he was successful super young, so he's inherently less subversive to their power. It's not about content, it's about control.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Someone will.

Hello, I've just time traveled from 2003 and I want to tell you about this hilarious show that got cancelled before it's time, it's called Family Guy, do you wanna watch these VHS recordings?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Family Guy actually did an extended storyline last season where Brian the Dog made some woeful twitter posts, lost his job and was turned into a pariah, having to move away for a few episodes.

It was more based on that lady who made the "Hope I don't get AIDS! Just kidding, I'm white!" post before hopping on a twelve hours flight to somewhere in Africa only to land and discover it had been RTd like a million times, she was fired and her life was over.

Of course Brian in general is a much more terrible person.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hahahaha, that's much worse.

Oh yeah.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Can someone give me the quick and dirty on Lasseter? I somehow seem to have missed that particular scandal.

Basically Lasseter was notorious for getting handsy and groping female employees, particularly at parties, to the point where he literally had an actual handler who’s job was to keep him from doing that poo poo. Everyone at Pixar knew, Disney knew, it was all swept under the rug more or less because he was the public face of Pixar. When it was finally exposed to the public, Disney put Lasseter on a 6-month paid leave and then quietly brought him back once that was over.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/pixar/breaking-john-lasseter-takes-leave-absence-pixar-following-missteps-154881.html

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

James Gunn

Not a great moral authority, but a great authority in the sense of the power they hold. His crime is having not been controlled by authority his whole life. Someone like Seth MacFarlane has always been under the control of authority and always stayed within the bounds of his employer's control, because he was successful super young, so he's inherently less subversive to their power. It's not about content, it's about control.

Except this was done under the purview of his work with Troma Entertainment. He was playing to an audience that came looking for and expected this content from him, and again, was the reason Disney hired him. This is not some rogue enterprise he went on, this was not something he did in subversion of any standards and practices, this is just part of what he was doing creatively at the time.

And you can think it's gross and vile all you want but it was ultimately pure and utter fantasy, as well as something he stepped away from. You can't put that on the same level as someone who is actively attacking, abusing, or harassing real people.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He hadn't made a Troma movie for like 8 years when Disney hired him and had made 2 Scooby Doos.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Family Guy actually did an extended storyline last season where Brian the Dog made some woeful twitter posts, lost his job and was turned into a pariah, having to move away for a few episodes.

Apparently they are doing a #MeToo-themed episode next season which will be about Quagmire being a rapist.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Like, it's not full on obscene, but there's a clear link between the irreverent and sometimes risque humor of Guardians and Gunn's earlier work. If you can't see that or believe that Disney didn't take his past work with Troma or his social media presence into account when they hired him, then I don't know what to tell you.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nodosaur posted:

Like, it's not full on obscene, but there's a clear link between the irreverent and sometimes risque humor of Guardians and Gunn's earlier work. If you can't see that or believe that Disney didn't take his past work with Troma or his social media presence into account when they hired him, then I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah, there is no way they didn’t know about those tweets well in advance.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was more based on that lady who made the "Hope I don't get AIDS! Just kidding, I'm white!" post before hopping on a twelve hours flight to somewhere in Africa only to land and discover it had been RTd like a million times, she was fired and her life was over.

Of course Brian in general is a much more terrible person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H-cB-l3O-4

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
His career isn't over though? There was an article this week that several studios want him. He's going to do a WoDC film without a doubt.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wheat Loaf posted:

Apparently they are doing a #MeToo-themed episode next season which will be about Quagmire being a rapist.

I wonder if that's to basically kill the character off. Seth apparently hates doing the voice, it really hurts his vocal chords or something.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

His career isn't over though? There was an article this week that several studios want him. He's going to do a WoDC film without a doubt.

Yeah, but a lot of people want him back on GOTg3 because the first two ruled, and are also sad that Mike Cernovich is somehow relevant even though he’s a Nazi rapist.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s really too bad that plea-bargained out rapist and Nazi supporter Mike Thernovich has some kind of moral sway in the media instead of having died alone by his own hand a long long time ago.

THIS is the reason why it is so hosed up that Gunn was fired. That guy probably isn't even phase about those tweets, he just knew that they were bad enough to maybe outrage the right people to get him fired. And it loving worked.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rhyno posted:

His career doesn't have to be over for this to be wrong, and what's more, it emboldens the alt-right.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, but a lot of people want him back on GOTg3 because the first two ruled, and are also sad that Mike Cernovich is somehow relevant even though he’s a Nazi rapist.

I also hold these opinions. But it's looking very unlikely now. That sucks but I have expended so much goddamned energy over this and it's exhausting.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

They hired Gunn to be irreverent for sure. I think it's rather stretching it to claim they hired him for child rape jokes, and rather insulting to imply those are the same thing. It's not coherent to say this was why they hired him *and* that Gunn stepped away from it.

Maybe they were dumb and didn't do due diligence. Maybe they assumed Gunn would have the brains to sanitise his social media feed. Maybe they listened to Joss Whedon when they told him Gunn was okay. Maybe GotG was such a small IP in their eyes that they figured Gunn was essentially disposable. Maybe company culture changed. There's a lotta maybes. But none of this really is that relevant to the point of whether Gunn should be doing GotG3 today in 2018.

Also Gunn being rehired won't un-embolden the alt right.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Fangz posted:

They hired Gunn to be irreverent for sure. I think it's rather stretching it to claim they hired him for child rape jokes, and rather insulting to imply those are the same thing. It's not coherent to say this was why they hired him *and* that Gunn stepped away from it.

Maybe they were dumb and didn't do due diligence. Maybe they assumed Gunn would have the brains to sanitise his social media feed. Maybe they listened to Joss Whedon when they told him Gunn was okay. Maybe GotG was such a small IP in their eyes that they figured Gunn was essentially disposable. Maybe company culture changed. There's a lotta maybes. But none of this really is that relevant to the point of whether Gunn should be doing GotG3 today in 2018.

The point is more that they likely didn't see a distinction. And I mean, they did nothing to stop the jokes about child slavery and cannibalism and the denigration of women that are all over the GoTG movies either so what's your stance on that?

Fangz posted:

Also Gunn being rehired won't un-embolden the alt right.

It'd sure as hell take away something they see as a major success, and decrease the likelihood that they'll get away with this poo poo again.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 16, 2018

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

i09 has a thing with Weta, who did the whole Titan battle sequence, and I thought it was cool how they mapped Brolin's performance onto the CGI

quote:

In approaching the facial animation requirements of Spider-Man when he is wearing the Iron Spider mask, rather than simply sculpting jaw-open and jaw-close targets into the suit we took the approach of building a full facial animation rig for our Peter Parker digital double. We then ran that rig through the complete set of FACS targets with a panel of digital cloth stretched over the face. We derived the facial blend-shape targets for the Iron Spider mask from this cloth simulation. This extra level of detail in the suit’s facial rig meant that it was possible to lip-read Spidey’s dialogue as he was talking through the mask. T

welp, looks like I'm watching this movie again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

What does WoDC stand for? Sorry, it's probably very obvious but I'm drawing a blank.

Funniest outcome would be Lucasfilm hiring him to make a Star Wars movie.

• Locked thread