Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
A four stroke steam engine is cool and all but maybe Senku should figure out an exhaust system before he scalds someone's face off with that exhauist steam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I read this entire chapter with a big smile. It's so adorable in its ways.
Old man Craftsman is the best.

I wonder if Ukyo has been turned by the cotton candy.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Darth TNT posted:

I read this entire chapter with a big smile. It's so adorable in its ways.
Old man Craftsman is the best.

I wonder if Ukyo has been turned by the cotton candy.

He was a sonar man on a sub. Total nerd, why would he want to get rid of science to begin with?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Eej posted:

A four stroke steam engine is cool and all but maybe Senku should figure out an exhaust system before he scalds someone's face off with that exhauist steam

I don't think safety is too high on the list of Senku's priorities. Especially when they were limited by time, since Chrome could've easily gotten himself killed.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I think it would be very interesting if Ukyo is playing his own game entirely. The conflict thus far has been Senku vs Tsukasa--if there's a person on Tsukasa's side who's looking to just go full warlord without Tsukasa's ideology that would throw a wrench in things.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I really have to hand it to Tsukasa, he may be an AnPrim, but the cape works

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i know he;s supposed to be a superman but picking up that tree and throwing it with one hand seems a bit much

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think you understand. he's a stronger than average japanese high school student. that is the most powerful force in human history.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't think you understand. he's a stronger than average japanese high school student. that is the most powerful force in human history.

Correction:
Strongest Primate High School Student

This does, of course, imply that there are High School Students who are also strong, maybe stronger, but not primates.
It also implies he is stronger than the strongest gorilla high school student.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Bullshit, I've seen Cromartie High School. No way he is stronger.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mulva posted:

Maybe they're implying some of Cromartie's students aren't primates. I mean, maybe Freddie's an energy being or something, we don't know.

It's still wrong, of course, because it suggests Tsukasa is stronger than Shinichi Mechazawa, who is certainly a human.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Correction:
Strongest Primate High School Student

This does, of course, imply that there are High School Students who are also strong, maybe stronger, but not primates.
It also implies he is stronger than the strongest gorilla high school student.

But can he beat Oozaru Goku?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

But can he beat Oozaru Goku?

No, because Goku doesn't even have an elementary school education.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Mulva posted:

consider that cromartie was the bar he had to pass to earn his title and you will begin to understand his [Charisma]

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

No, because Goku doesn't even have an elementary school education.

gohan went to high school, what about him

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

zoro was right

Praying for Tsukasa to get his rear end beat when my precious boy wakes up and gets lost in Senkuu's village

also chrome is a baaaaaaaaaaad dude

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
https://readms.net/r/dr_stone/069/5262/1

Senku always comes up with the best ideas.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I love the science team. But really, all they have to do is run up with a Tank and half the army would switch in a heartbeat. I know I would. Let's see: "Caveman" or "Steampowered Tank"

Yes, tough call.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i really like just how much fun this is constantly

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

I love the science team. But really, all they have to do is run up with a Tank and half the army would switch in a heartbeat. I know I would. Let's see: "Caveman" or "Steampowered Tank"

Yes, tough call.

for real, just seeing what senku has put together in the amount of time he's been awake should be a huge wake up call for a lot of people

I hope they invented a speaker system to blare the song as they drive the tank around tsukasa's base

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Glad to see Einstein managed to come back to life and survive the petrification. Would be cool to see more science cameos in the future!

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
You know what I loved most about this series? The fact that they showcased lost wax casting, even if it was only for a single page. They keep pulling out all these crazy methods of production that can be reasonably accomplished by historic societies to produce modern marvels. Do they actually go out and try it out? Like get a bunch of people together and go "okay, go and make us a radio with nothing but raw material and pure awesome craftsmanship?"

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I just started this series because of it being mentioned in a SuperEyepatchWolf video and I caught up in two days.

Slow start but it is very very good.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Im reading Origin and good lord Boichi is a bad writer. Thank goodness hes just doing the art here.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How is he bad if I may ask?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

He is terrible,

TERRIBLE

At dialogue.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i read it for the cool action and the robots

he's a physicist by education of course he's bad at dialogue but also its translated so who knows what it says

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jose posted:

i read it for the cool action and the robots

he's a physicist by education of course he's bad at dialogue but also its translated so who knows what it says

Nah his characters speak at each other more than they do with each other. They exposit at great lengths to each other.

Some people are writers by profession and still bad at dialogue so thats no excuse.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mraagvpeine posted:

How is he bad if I may ask?

I mean, the main character is a robot who only operates on logic instead of emotion and all of his internal monolouge is stuff like "I must go here and get more power cells to recharge my batteries. I have to live as my creator asked but I do not understand the command" and hes just sitting there thinking while a big battles going on. The chapters end in the most bizzare places too, never really set up anything for a future chapter, its like he storyboards everything out to be way too long and instead of reworking everything he just arbitrarily chops the story up into chapters every 19 pages.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Like, check this out. This is the second to last page in a chapter where Origin is fighting two robots he is against. He pulls some sort of technique out of his pocket to freeze the enemy robots face and shatter her synthetic skin.

So, what is the final page of the chapter? Some sort of follow up explaining why the freezing works? Does the attack work? Does it not work and she rallys? No, its just Origin making the exact same stupid face as the previous page and repeating the same thing hes been saying to himself for a while now.

Origin is constantly, constantly just repeating stuff to himself while other characters talk at him at length. Theres some cool little tidbits throughout, like Origin getting his arm sliced off and the reduced weight allowing him to move in ways he couldnt before but everything neat is just buried in between a few pages of boring repetition.

Nobody knows Origin is a robot so when he repairs his arm but doesnt have enough time to connect the muscles before he has to go to work the next day hes stuck walking around with a dead and hanging left arm. Except theres no tension to this at all because only one character mentions his dead arm and then Origin doesnt even have to explain what happened himself, the character just immediately goes "Oh wow your arm must be hurt from that fight you got into with those Yakuza the other day!" All the tension gone and Origin is just free to walk around with his dumb dead arm for the rest of the day and nobody cares.

Having someone being cold and logical but trying to understand what its like to be human just doesnt work that well when he has to also pretend to be human and hide his robot side. Hes got no opportunities to talk to humans and understand why they appreciate the things they do since he cannot tell anyone his secret. Its like if Star Trek just tried to pass Data off as a wierd pale dude but constantly zoomed into his internal monolouge and hes sitting there going "What is love? I dont understand conflict" while the Enterprise is under attack.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 17, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sun Ken Rock had the worst loving rushed ending in Manga and it pissed me off more than anything else becuase I legit liked that manga. Boichi needs to get his rear end kicked honestly.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Sounds like an artist who isn't too good at storytelling. Look at Kubo Tite for another example.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tbf like half the cast are robots and the other half are turbo nerds, so not being good at talking to each other is arguably the most realistic aspect of the entire manga

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

also new chapter

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/dr-stone/en/0/70/page/1

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
"That's right. I'm the science user, Chrome!"

:getin:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It's stuff like this that make me like Tsukasa. He's not stupid.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
How come every character is simultaneously the best character. Go Chrome!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Chrome rules

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Scholtz posted:

I just started this series because of it being mentioned in a SuperEyepatchWolf video and I caught up in two days.

Slow start but it is very very good.

Yeah they wisely shifted the protagonist role from Taiju to Senku and the story improved very quickly, especially after introducing the villagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

drat they sure made Tsukasa pretty in this chapter.