Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

ate all the Oreos posted:

he wanted you to feel bad for the unwarranted and illegal invasion and occupation of innocent victim japan

Empires gonna do some imperialist poo poo, imo. I'm not good enough at taking away clear moral messages from the case of Pax Americana v. the East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere to straight vote up or down on that proposition.

this guy had some pretty good points: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radhabinod_Pal#War_crimes_trial_dissent

quote:

Judge Pal never intended to offer a juridical argument on whether a sentence of not guilty would have been a correct one. However, he argued that the United States had clearly provoked the war with Japan and expected Japan to act.[5]

In his lone dissent, Judge Pal refers to the trial as a "sham employment of legal process for the satisfaction of a thirst for revenge." According to Norimitsu Onishi, while he fully acknowledged Japan's war atrocities – including the Nanjing massacre – he said they were covered in the Class B and Class C trials.[6]

Furthermore, he believed that the exclusion of Western colonialism and the use of the atom bomb by the United States from the list of crimes, as well as the exclusion of judges from the vanquished nations on the bench, signified the "failure of the Tribunal to provide anything other than the opportunity for the victors to retaliate."[7] In this he was not alone among Indian jurists of the time; one prominent Calcutta barrister wrote that the Tribunal was little more than "a sword in a wig". In general, fear of American nuclear power was an international phenomenon following the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

oh dang no good deed goes (wholly) unpunished

quote:

The end of the occupation also lifted a ban on the publication of Judge Pal's 1,235-page dissent, which Japanese nationalists used as the basis of their argument that the Tokyo trials were biased.

In 1966, the Emperor of Japan conferred upon Pal the First Class of the Order of the Sacred Treasure. Pal is revered by Japanese nationalists and a monument dedicated to him stands on the grounds of the Yasukuni Shrine.[10] The monument was erected after Pal's death.

Judge Pal's dissent is frequently mentioned by Indian diplomats and political leaders in the context of Indo-Japanese friendship and solidarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lancemantis posted:

there are crosswalks in NOVA for streets with no sidewalks; at least they tried I guess :shrug:

outside of parts of arlington and alexandria, nova is not remotely intended for pedestrians

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

dc3k posted:

https://www.boringcompany.com/dugout

boring co is building a tunnel that can transport a whopping 250,000 people per year. what an amazing transit revolution

Doesn't the George Washington Bridge carry more than that in a day? I don't think 250k/year is really that impressive?

:shrug:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

dc3k posted:

https://www.boringcompany.com/dugout

boring co is building a tunnel that can transport a whopping 250,000 people per year. what an amazing transit revolution

my mind was gradually introduced to more horrors while skimming through this

"oh so its just a private subway"

"oh its a private subway of those little cars that insane NYC guy was writing about" :gonk:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

I always wondered why they don't have sensors on parking meters and, like, roving meter maids who can just zoom to a car as soon as the meter expires.

It seems like a real opportunity to monetize shared public space?

why even have meter maids, just take a picture of the plates and mail them a ticket like a parking camera does

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

when i was an intern a buncha my early projects were creating the infrastructure for pedestrian routes to schools that were funded through federal grants for towns that didn't have the money

these were places where there was an elementary school in the middle of a neighborhood that didn't have sidewalks

it is absolutely shameful how bad all this poo poo was designed 30+ years ago

where i grew up there must have been some kind of ordinance or regulation that said new construction had to build a sidewalk out front, because any time a new building would go up there would be a length of sidewalk placed in front of it that abruptly ended right at the property line, so you'd have this awkward patchwork of 100 feet or so of sidewalk followed by a quarter mile of grass and ditches in front of older buildings and then another 100ft of sidewalk

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

lancemantis posted:

insane NYC guy

yeah but i don't think bernie goetz quite understands the impact this'll have on his legacy

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

I don't think 250k/year is really that impressive?

:shrug:

:thejoke:

the lovely regional airport near me carries that many passengers in like three or four days

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

a docent at the railway museum in saitama saw me looking at some 1950s electric locomotives and pulled me back to show me the first steam locomotive japan imported from the US, and then asked me about the parkland shooting (it was a day after it and i'd basically been asleep and/or traveling the whole time since)

imo the average japanese person has genuine curiosity about (at least some of) the rest of the world.

Endless Mike posted:

outside of parts of arlington and alexandria, nova is not remotely intended for pedestrians

ah, but we are making Tysons Corner walkable you see!!!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

i'm painfully aware

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

lancemantis posted:

my mind was gradually introduced to more horrors while skimming through this

"oh so its just a private subway"

"oh its a private subway of those little cars that insane NYC guy was writing about" :gonk:

does anyone have any details on the magic boring co technology that would be able to make a subway profitable instead of being a highly subsidized public good?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

yippee cahier posted:

does anyone have any details on the magic boring co technology that would be able to make a subway profitable instead of being a highly subsidized public good?

the bazingas will be required to tithe

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

yippee cahier posted:

Sell highly priced seats as a luxury good.

Same as Virgin Intergalactic I guess?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yippee cahier posted:

ahh but you see those are ridden by poors, this will only be for wealthy people so it will automatically make money

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

yippee cahier posted:

its a highly subsidized private good instead

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

lancemantis posted:

i'm painfully aware

ready for Amazon hq2 :getin:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

yippee cahier posted:

I think part of the plan is melting/gasifying the rock so you don't have to deal with excavating issues and will instead give your miners weird cancer from huffing magma fumes all day

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 16, 2018

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

its a highly subsidized private good instead

Public Private Partnership

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

prisoner of waffles posted:

Empires gonna do some imperialist poo poo, imo. I'm not good enough at taking away clear moral messages from the case of Pax Americana v. the East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere to straight vote up or down on that proposition.

this guy had some pretty good points: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radhabinod_Pal#War_crimes_trial_dissent

oh dang no good deed goes (wholly) unpunished

the US supreme court justice that was one of the US judges at nuremburg actually had similar concerns, especially on the "offensive war" and naval warfare parts

though mostly in the context of "holy poo poo the guys the soviets sent are nuts"

he only expressed it in private correspondence

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I think part of the plan is melting/gasifying the rock so you don't have to deal with excavating issues

:stare:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I think part of the plan is melting/gasifying the rock so you don't have to deal with excavating issues and will instead give your miners weird cancer from huffing magma fumes all day

i thought they just used that normal tunnel borer elon bought

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

yippee cahier posted:

his strat is to go really deep to avoid all the utility impacts and get himself exempt from environmental review while also ignoring everything that doesn't have to do with just boring out the tunnel itself ie station construction

if anything could be said to be the easiest part of that work it's the portion that he's concerned himself with

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

his strat is to go really deep to avoid all the utility impacts and get himself exempt from environmental review while also ignoring everything doesn't have to do with just boring out the tunnel itself ie station construction

fingers crossed he goes deep enough to tap into the mantle. :pray:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

President Beep posted:

project muskhole

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i haven't even heard anything about whether his tunnel is gonna be a dual bore or single bore

probably because they haven't even considered basic poo poo like that part of the proposed design yet

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

yippee cahier posted:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

i thought they just used that normal tunnel borer elon bought

that's what they're doing now but his big idiot plan to make a partial vacuum loop through California to Vegas was dependent on molten rock boring so the rock glass on the margins would help with the seal

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

its "cool", as a concept, but I seriously doubt it will work out the way they want. a controlled meltdown slowly boring out holes through the earth.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if anything could be said to be the easiest part of that work it's the portion that he's concerned himself with

<ceo hours chart but just drugs, twitter, and daydreaming>

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

surely they realize that even liquefied or gaseous rock has to go somewhere, like, that mass doesn't just disappear into the ether

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

infernal machines posted:

surely they realize that even liquefied or gaseous rock has to go somewhere, like, that mass doesn't just disappear into the ether

yeah p.sure the plan was to dissolve it out in solution and pump

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

infernal machines posted:

let me tell you about cheap bricks...

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

that's what they're doing now but his big idiot plan to make a partial vacuum loop through California to Vegas was dependent on molten rock boring so the rock glass on the margins would help with the seal

also from the muskman-specific yosthread

https://twitter.com/TesIaCharts/status/1029433913251438593

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

President Beep posted:

Hot

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

oh they are using tesla battery packs, that explains where the heat to melt the rocks will come from.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the real technological marvel will be the conveyor belt that continually feeds damaged bandoliers from the gigafactory into the bore hole

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Shifty Pony posted:

oh they are using tesla battery packs, that explains where the heat to melt the rocks will come from.

Savage.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacex doesn't even use tesla batteries (at least they didn't last time my dad inspected the factory) so i'm not sure why musk's dumb mars city would but sure whatever it's all 12-dimensional chess

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol they're going to be using molten sodium batteries long before they gently caress with the complexities of lithium cells

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

https://jalopnik.com/several-tesla-gigafactory-workers-allegedly-trafficking-1828393920

"Several Tesla Gigafactory Workers Allegedly Trafficking 'Significant Quantities' of Cartel Drugs, says Ex-Employee"

pulling a gus fring in the desert like a goddamn madman. also yes... yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

stardock is at it again

https://twitter.com/UnburntWitch/status/1030180757258424320

https://twitter.com/UnburntWitch/status/1030181110104317953

tldr: stardock bought the rights to the franchise (but not the games or any of the creative works themselves) out of the Atari bankruptcy and Brad Wardell begged toys for bob to license the games to him. they refused and stardock eventually just started... selling the games in their store anyway. toys for bob sent a cease and desist and stardock trademarked all that creative stuff they didn't buy and sent toys for bob a bunch of legal threats demanding a huge settlement fee, to stop working on their game, and apologize for stealing their own game's trademarks