Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

anthonypants posted:

android used to have a program called tasker where you could do ifttt-style things with your phone, idk if it's still around. but if all you're doing is sending pictures from your phone to the cloud, you really don't need to build that program yourself

i remember installing tasker years ago, don't remember anything about it. i'll have to look into it

i'm just a fuckin' unix beard who wants to `cat /dev/camera > /tmp/pic.png`, my poo poo should largely be disregarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
tasker still exists and is still spergin as hell

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
QPython?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cocoa Crispies posted:

have you considered the iPhone X?

:barf:

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
tasker still exists and still lets you dramatically over engineer your sad telephone

i finally uninstalled it when i got my se and stopped using my android for anything besides awful.apk but i exported my "get my ip address and toast it" as a separate app first because that's a feature

godspeed you tasker

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

is there a way to revert to the blob-man emoji on an android phone without running your phone through a russian credit card skimmer?

my new phone has android 8 and the only thing i really miss is the blobs
Depending on which phone you got, magisk root+magisk manager

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

ya but last I checked it could subtly gently caress formatting in existing docs

that being said, "last I checked" was like 3 years ago. maybe should look again

it can still happen yeah

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Pham Nuwen posted:

yeah i just mean it would be nice to be able to write the equivalent of a shell script, ideally from off the phone, and load it into the phone.

like i acknowledge that this is something only the most demented and hosed up of computer touchers would want which is why there will never really be a mainstream device for that. but as somebody who writes shell scripts all the drat time that's something i'm comfortable with, and if i could make a button that e.g. scp'd all photos taken in the last day to my web server in an appropriately-named directory and then gave me a url i could text to people, i'd just as soon do that as gently caress around with ifttt or whatever other crap

pythonista on ios

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i want an app that plays youtube videos while the screen is locked, but not enough to pay for it and certainly not enough to learn how to write it

it's okay because you can't have all the things you want, nor should you

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

flakeloaf posted:

i want an app that plays youtube videos while the screen is locked, but not enough to pay for it and certainly not enough to learn how to write it

isn't that one of the features of youtube music or youtube red or whatever they're calling it now

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

anthonypants posted:

isn't that one of the features of youtube music or youtube red or whatever they're calling it now

But he said he didn't want to pay for it though?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Schadenboner posted:

they're never ever going to get it for free as long as google has made it a feature which costs money

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

anthonypants posted:

they're never ever going to get it for free as long as google has made it a feature which costs money

At least on iOS they still don't stop the play back if you put the screen face-down (I assume on Android they do because: :google:?).

Also, has anyone seen that creepy-rear end pre-roll ad (for an album I think?) with the spiders crawling out of that chick's mouth? My kid likes to watch the "Thunder" video while I drive him to school so I have to pre-screen that horrifying ad before I give him my phone.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018

flakeloaf posted:

newpipe

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.schabi.newpipe/

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Schadenboner posted:

It seems YOSPOS has removed the "no poors" rule

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

anthonypants posted:

this isn’t offered in Canada

Schadenboner posted:

At least on iOS they still don't stop the play back if you put the screen face-down

lol that’s a thing on android? still doesn’t work on screen lock or off-focus tho. could just uh, “YouTube-dl” what you want beforehand I guess

maybe there’s some hacky solution possible with inter-app audio. **e video, idk

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 16, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ShadowHawk posted:

:ssh: Sir, this is the Anrode thread... :ssh:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

OldAlias posted:

lol that’s a thing on android? still doesn’t work on screen lock or off-focus tho. could just uh, “YouTube-dl” what you want beforehand I guess

maybe there’s some hacky solution possible with inter-app audio. **e video, idk

of course it's not a thing on android, i just played a video and set my phone face down, the only thing that happened was the audio got muffled

if they stopped playback when the phone is face-down that would mess with their #1 youtube watcher base, teens lying in bed holding their phone overhead for hours at a time

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pham Nuwen posted:

of course it's not a thing on android, i just played a video and set my phone face down, the only thing that happened was the audio got muffled

if they stopped playback when the phone is face-down that would mess with their #1 youtube watcher base, teens lying in bed holding their phone overhead for hours at a time

I assumed there was a light sensor or something that would detect a surface immediately beneath it, rather than just open air?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

ah yeah obv. wasn't sure if there was facedown -> screen lock behaviour or smth

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

OldAlias posted:

lmao whoops

e: actually it looks like youtube music and "youtube premium" have been in canada for a few months (https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6307365). i think youtube music is just their spotify knockoff and it looks like youtube premium is what they're calling youtube red

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 16, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ShadowHawk posted:

a) android thread

b) wealthy people don't spend money, that's how they stay wealthy

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

youtube premium is what used to be called youtube red. yt music is youtube without video and only music playlists.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Google Play Music All Access Deluxe Extreme Off-Road Platinum GOTY Edition is the spotify competitor but if you buy that you also get yt premium for free, and it will probably be quietly killed off and rolled into yt music one day.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
yeah if you go to youtube.com/red it's the same as youtube.com/premium :ms:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mrmcd posted:

youtube premium is what used to be called youtube red. yt music is youtube without video and only music playlists.
has goog started poaching people from msfts marketing department?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

a) android thread

b) wealthy people don't spend money, that's how they stay wealthy

:ssh: its spending other peoples money

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

anthonypants posted:

yeah if you go to youtube.com/red it's the same as youtube.com/premium :ms:

but if i go to redtube.com/you it's anything but premium

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

flakeloaf posted:

requesting the desktop version works on iphone

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

FMguru posted:

has goog started poaching people from msfts marketing department?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewcave/2017/01/31/if-you-want-to-get-poached-by-google-join-microsoft/#4f88d8e42693

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

At least on iOS they still don't stop the play back if you put the screen face-down (I assume on Android they do because: :google:?).

Also, has anyone seen that creepy-rear end pre-roll ad (for an album I think?) with the spiders crawling out of that chick's mouth? My kid likes to watch the "Thunder" video while I drive him to school so I have to pre-screen that horrifying ad before I give him my phone.

why are you subjecting your child to advertising?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
gotta get them inoculated early, otherwise they'll grow up into someone who sees an ad and actually believes what it's telling them

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

mrmcd posted:

Google Play Music All Access Deluxe Extreme Off-Road Platinum GOTY Edition is the spotify competitor but if you buy that you also get yt premium for free, and it will probably be quietly killed off and rolled into yt music one day.
It works the other way around too. Same product, two names

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ShadowHawk posted:

It works the other way around too. Same product, two names
except youtube music costs less than youtube premium

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

anthonypants posted:

except youtube music costs less than youtube premium
Nevermind it looks like one is a superset of the other now (for a larger price).

It used to be google play music all access == youtube red, but when youtube red became youtube premium they upgraded all existing users and created the new lower tier cheaper youtube music

I think.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lol google literally can't help themselves

the amd cores picture but with "services"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
youtube music is the direct replacement for google play music. this is a lower cost thing just about music, and the google play music thing isn't meant to be discontinued for quite some time yet as new things goes into "youtube music"

youtube premium is they just renamed youtube red because youtube red was kind of a dumb name. feature set didnt change, this always cost more than google play music and costs more than the eventual replacement with the youtube branding cuz it does more. you pay the higher price for youtube premium, and it includes the lesser service for free just as red included gpm for free.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

fishmech posted:

youtube premium is they just renamed youtube red because youtube red was kind of a dumb name. feature set didnt change, this always cost more than google play music and costs more than the eventual replacement with the youtube branding cuz it does more. you pay the higher price for youtube premium, and it includes the lesser service for free just as red included gpm for free.
gpm all access came with red for free and vice versa. you got the $8/month deal if you signed up early, but after that they've been $10/month or $15 for the 6-person plan until the changes they're making now

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
Google play music was abandoned garbage and YouTube music has one of the worst user experiences available. Just use spotify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
spotify doesn't get rid of ads on youtube

• Locked thread