Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

mango sentinel posted:

Can someone explain to me how to leverage bounding leap on Hormagaunts? I'm not sure how to actually leverage that ability.

Can you quote the rule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Can you quote the rule?

Hormagaunts get a 6" pile-in & consolidate.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

It's mostly good to tie people up. Hormagaunts aren't great at killing things, so there'll probably be a survivor you can surround and lock in combat to hide from shooting. If they do kill everything, they can rampage off to tie a whole bunch of units up.

ro5s fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 16, 2018

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
It allows you to quickly swamp non-Flyers and surround them to the point they can’t leave combat, which can be hugely important.

Edit: I just reread the last post and it’s basically the same thing. efb etc

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I understand what it's for, I just need like diagrams or a video on how to position for it when you can only move closer to your nearest enemy model.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

mango sentinel posted:

I understand what it's for, I just need like diagrams or a video on how to position for it when you can only move closer to your nearest enemy model.

If I understand the rule correctly, that is not true. You must end your turn closer to the closest model but may move the full pile in. Imagine an example where you have a hormagaunt three inches away from the closest enemy model, with a second enemy model a half inch behind it (all colinear). A valid move would be to wrap your model around the back of the second enemy model (with the six inch pile in, you end up a bit less than three inches from the original closest enemy model, assuming 25mm bases on everyone).

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 16, 2018

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
X-postin'. Learned a lot, but excited to be moving on from these guys.

Mikey Purp posted:

Finally finished these boys up!

What I learned:
  • Edge-highlighting is tricky. Too thin and they don't really have an impact, too thick and they look cartoonish. I think that I erred on the side of two thin on these guys and they kinda got washed out after the weathering and varnish.

• Matte varnish can dull down colors. These guys were a lot shinier and deeper red before I sealed them up. I still like the color and actually think it gives them a "dusty" look which fits the environment I'm going for, but something that I'll have to be aware of in the future. Would gloss varnish have the same effect?

• You have to strike a balance with weathering. I wanted these guys to look like they've been through some poo poo, so I think the amount of weathering is fine, but it seems really easy to go overboard.

Any C+C is welcome, especially photography tips! I am using a home-made light box and pixel 2, but I still feel like I could do a better job.

Next project is a squad of Death Company. For those guys I'm planning on trying out some layering techniques I picked up from this Kujo painting vid. We'll see how it goes.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

mango sentinel posted:

Your charge move doesn't have to be as close to the unit you are charging as possible. And your pile in/consolodates do not have to go directly to the nearest unit, you can move six inches down the length of a hulll of a tank as long as it's the closest model. You then don't need to haseit and can keep sliding around that model to possiblely touch something else.

It's very good at tying up large amount of units you didn't declare charges on but wound up next too using crazy pile ins. If they were durable at all it would be cometely broken.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Damnit, GW. Hurry up and "Poochie died on his way back to his home planet" the Spes Wuffs and release the GSC codex already!

:mad:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Schadenboner posted:

Damnit, GW. Hurry up and "Poochie died on his way back to his home planet" the Spes Wuffs and release the GSC codex already!

:mad:

They better loving not. I still have 40k AdMech, kill team terrain and Adeptus Titanicus to do with probably multiple Reaver titans next month. Last thing I need right now is a playable GSC codex.

And just a few years ago who'd have thought my biggest problem with GW would be them releasing too much stuff I want to buy?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

xtothez posted:

And just a few years ago who'd have thought my biggest problem with GW would be them releasing too much stuff I want to buy?

gently caress, same.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

xtothez posted:

Truth.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Yeah I just pulled the trigger on the GSC half of T&C and I still have 80+ other Acolytes and Neophytes to do. Sorry kids juice has been replaced with me regaling you with tales of fictional alien space cults.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mikey Purp posted:

X-postin'. Learned a lot, but excited to be moving on from these guys.

I love these. Gotta say though, too thick and looking cartoonish is my entire goal in life. Love me some Saturday morning cartoon marines.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah I just pulled the trigger on the GSC half of T&C and I still have 80+ other Acolytes and Neophytes to do. Sorry kids juice has been replaced with me regaling you with tales of fictional alien space cults.

I’m just catching up on the Tooth & Claw announcement but what did you mean by this? Is it available for pre-order already?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Rhaegar posted:

I’m just catching up on the Tooth & Claw announcement but what did you mean by this? Is it available for pre-order already?

It’s up for sale by some vendors in eBay for presale order. It’s slightly more expensive than getting it direct but I don’t have any good local shops and I’m a sucker for instant gratification.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Rhaegar posted:

Retailer order info went out last week and a lot of stores are taking their own preorder numbers even if they can't submit them to GW until this weekend.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Wow, folk don’t waste any time offering what people obviously want. ;)

I’m annoyed I picked up the Tyranid kill team on the weekend now. Although I did want the extra terrain. Might have held off if I had known about this boxset.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Rhaegar posted:

Wow, folk don’t waste any time offering what people obviously want. ;)

I’m annoyed I picked up the Tyranid kill team on the weekend now. Although I did want the extra terrain. Might have held off if I had known about this boxset.

Extra genestealers never go amiss. You'll want more than just eight.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can't find anything, but Tooth and Claw is just going to be like Forgebane, like it is a limited run, but will be available for a while?

drat, I still haven't finished any of the modes from Stormclaw.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

twistedmentat posted:

I can't find anything, but Tooth and Claw is just going to be like Forgebane, like it is a limited run, but will be available for a while?

drat, I still haven't finished any of the modes from Stormclaw.

There will likely be copies floating around for a while.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I will technically have something like 70 Genestealers once the box arrives. We live in blessed and cursed times.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I have an army I can post!

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 17, 2018

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Anyone have an example of someone actually using a Warlord in play? I've never seen a game where someone just dick on the tables the 2000 dollars or whatever ridiculous amount it is......although thinking back I suppose if you only make one army after they've come out in comparison to someone that has made multiple armies over the years it's surprisingly not *that* much, and I'm making myself depressed.....anywho, I wonder how they actually turn out.

e: vvvv That's actually what made me think of it.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 17, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I imagine there will be a few at NOVA on Sunday.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

mango sentinel posted:

There will likely be copies floating around for a while.

Yea you can still get Forgebanes so no real hurry. The only one of those sets I ever saw sell out was the one that had the Deathwatch and Eldar in it because it was literally the only way to get any plastic Aspect Warriors.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mulva posted:

Anyone have an example of someone actually using a Warlord in play? I've never seen a game where someone just dick on the tables the 2000 dollars or whatever ridiculous amount it is......although thinking back I suppose if you only make one army after they've come out in comparison to someone that has made multiple armies over the years it's surprisingly not *that* much, and I'm making myself depressed.....anywho, I wonder how they actually turn out.

e: vvvv That's actually what made me think of it.

Hencoe has used his at least once, and blew up another Warlord with it. He currently holds the title of Frag King.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I've seen a Warlord on the table! It was to my right in an Apocalypse game. It's huge. It took on a table side against 8 Khorne Lords of Skulls by itself.

Wound up dying to a bunch of assault terminators with hammers. Those guys were heroes.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have an army I can post!

:golfclap:

Great work dude.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Have a couple movement questions.

First, how does 40k handle vertical+horizontal movement? Is it "true distance" in that you take the hypotenuse, or do you measure each segment?
I don't see an explicit ruling in 40k, but Kill Team handles this via segments, as described on page 21:

Second, can a model move through a gap narrower than it's base? Given this situation, and assuming that the triangles are pillars that stretch into the sky, could the 2" base model move through the 1" gap to the other side? Or are they stuck below it?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Segments.

Re: gaps, it depends. Ruins explicitly say non infantry can't move through walls but infantry can warp through them. For all other terrain, discuss wkth your opponent.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Even as someone who plans to buy a Titan in the next year, it is hard to see why you would even want to play with it. Getting it out once a year and playing a big game seems pretty reasonable just for the uniqueness of the experience but it isn't something that you are dragging to the flgs looking for pick up games with.

Sometimes you just need to paint an awesome display piece.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Sometimes you just need to paint an awesome display piece a small child.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

You know, :spooky: is coming up and I do have a four-year-old and a bunch of cardboard boxes sitting around...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

You know, :spooky: is coming up and I do have a four-year-old and a bunch of cardboard boxes sitting around...

Here's a quick concept sketch

Just replace the bunnies with skulls.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I imagine there will be a few at NOVA on Sunday.

There was one at the Narrative Apoc game last year. 3 turns of shooting got it down to like 6 wounds, then Draigo popped out of the Warp, stabbed it a couple of times with his sword, then promptly went back into the Warp when that caused the Warlord to go thermonuclear.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cthulu Carl posted:

Here's a quick concept sketch

Just replace the bunnies with skulls.

Quite literally this. Lucius-pattern Warlord: a buncha goddamn boxes glued together.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com...omepage-post-2/

I love the fact that Warlord Traits are called Sagas and come with their own deeds for activation. It's incredibly thematic.

Also I'm ridiculously hype to see whats in store for Warhammer Fest Europe tomorrow.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 17, 2018

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I should be picking up my AT boxed set just as all the seminar stuff starts. It's like 40k Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
loving Hell the LondonGT just asked for customer feedback.