Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Say more! What does this mean?

My father likes to mention how much money he has when we talk on the phone (we're in different states). It's a lot, barring catastrophic economic events it'll be more when the time comes but it's kind of gross thinking about it in those terms.

E: mention as in milestones - millionaire, multimillionaire, 5MM, etc. He doesn't drop penny-precise amounts after saying hello or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FAUXTON posted:

My father likes to mention how much money he has when we talk on the phone (we're in different states). It's a lot, barring catastrophic economic events it'll be more when the time comes but it's kind of gross thinking about it in those terms.

E: mention as in milestones - millionaire, multimillionaire, 5MM, etc. He doesn't drop penny-precise amounts after saying hello or anything.

It's all going to the family cat.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

One cat cannot spend that much. Most of it will go to cloning the family cat and the rest will go to the now plural cats.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Krispy Wafer posted:

One cat cannot spend that much. Most of it will go to cloning the family cat and the rest will go to the now plural cats.

Per stirpes gets pretty hairy in that situation.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Thanks to the passing of years, I'm down to inheriting only four sibling-children instead of five! Keep on living, in-laws. Two more years and it'll be just three, and if I make it 13 more years without inheriting any, I'll finally feel free and clear enough to have my own kids be too old to have children anyway! :D

Seriously, who the gently caress thought it was okay for a couple in their mid-sixties to adopt infants? God drat.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Sundae posted:

Thanks to the passing of years, I'm down to inheriting only four sibling-children instead of five! Keep on living, in-laws. Two more years and it'll be just three, and if I make it 13 more years without inheriting any, I'll finally feel free and clear enough to have my own kids be too old to have children anyway! :D

Seriously, who the gently caress thought it was okay for a couple in their mid-sixties to adopt infants? God drat.

What the gently caress? Details?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Coworker may be BWM. They are going from office to office asking "Do you like Hawaii?" In response to "Yes?...", they try to sell their timeshare on Kona.

For extra sales power they say flights are cheaper than you may expect, then trail off without naming a price or showing photos. So far ineffective. Next step is to put up a handwritten ad in the breakroom, instead of adapting a strategy to reach customers beyond a fifty yard radius from their desk.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress? My wife and I are considering adopting in our early 40's, which is BWM on its own, but goddamn in your fuckin' 60's? Tony Randall-ing that poo poo is bad with money and bad with life, because I'm the best thing for your kid to experience as they're going through puberty is the death of their parents from old age. Jesus Christ, why not just foster?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Sundae posted:

Who, indeed? I mean most reputable fertility clinics won't treat you after 50, for good reason.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Coworker may be BWM. They are going from office to office asking "Do you like Hawaii?" In response to "Yes?...", they try to sell their timeshare on Kona.

For extra sales power they say flights are cheaper than you may expect, then trail off without naming a price or showing photos. So far ineffective. Next step is to put up a handwritten ad in the breakroom, instead of adapting a strategy to reach customers beyond a fifty yard radius from their desk.

Both bad with money, and bad with coworkers. I'd loving hate someone trying to sell me their timeshare while I'm a de facto captive audience.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

baquerd posted:

He doesn't have a cat but he does have dogs.

Murphy's gonna get everything isn't he, gently caress I'll just have to continue in my habit of sensible financial behavior GOD DAMNIT

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My in-laws had five biological children, and as soon as they were grown up, the whole empty nest thing kicked in. So, they started fostering. They did a great job with that (their hearts are in the right place if not their heads) but fell in love with all the kids and one by one adopted them. Four of the five adoptees are in some way or another special-needs children. The oldest of them (actual aspergers, not internet aspergers) is on his way to trade school now, but the next four are all still young. The youngest was adopted four years ago now when she was one year old and her parents-to-be were 65 and 61.

The biological children and their spouses were all against it largely because of their parents' age. The parents did it anyway and told the kids they'd just have to "be responsible adults and take care of their siblings if anything happened." Standard boomer poo poo in that regard (be responsible for our bad decisions).

Meanwhile, of the five biological children, there are only two who are stable financially. It used to be only one at the time of the youngest adoption--my wife. She was financially stable because she married me. She and all four of the others were either art or theater majors. Now, there is a second who is stable because her theater work paid off and she's on Broadway now. Of the five biological siblings, my wife is the only one with less than $50K of student loan debt. (She had $100K but our writing royalties paid it off. FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS, their parents told all of them.)

So, when I look at the situation, I see three struggling millennials with high debt, one with high debt and a good job (but one which is ill-suited for taking care of children), and my wife/me. We're the only stable set out of the family. There will still be two minors when the father hits 80. The youngest will be 15, I believe. If college is in the picture for the kids, there will likely be one still in college. The parents have, between mortgage and parent PLUS loans, over $400K of debt. That's just the stuff I know about (disclosures I made them tell me about before I married their daughter), but since then they also bought a super fancy camper, always seem to have new cars whenever I visit, etc etc. I highly doubt they're sitting on some amazing life insurance payout or inheritance, and even if they do, ten kids.

So yeah... if they don't live a really good long time, my inheritance is likely taking care of children who are technically my brothers and sisters in law, because the others will still be buried under monumental piles of debt.

quote:

. Jesus Christ, why not just foster?

They did. They just kept adopting the fosters. :suicide:

Sundae fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 17, 2018

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Holy cow that is something. For the part when you said you made them disclose that they had $400k in debt before you agreed to marriage, what would have been the unacceptable cutoff level?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'd guess that even if there was no number that was a dealbreaker, he at least wanted to KNOW for planning purposes.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Please have them look into the legal rights the adopted kids have regarding post-secondary education; in some states former foster kids who spent X amount of time in state custody have funding for a college or vocational education at state-funded schools.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like a 65-year-old that wants to adopt a one-year-old is not mentally competent to be adopting a one-year-old.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Lol @ buying poo poo (like watches or TVs or funko pops) being a “””hobby”””.

Adopting kids, now that’s a hobby!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Holy cow that is something. For the part when you said you made them disclose that they had $400k in debt before you agreed to marriage, what would have been the unacceptable cutoff level?

It was more about the kind of debt to me. Parent plus dies with the parent, mortgages aren't a problem, etc. I more wanted to know that the debts weren't able to pass to kids (medical, etc) and that they weren't indicative of lifestyles they'd have passed along. No credit cards on behalf of children, etc.

There was nothing among the debts that I can get stuck with and my wife has very good spending habits now, so no deal breaker there. The kid issues weren't on my radar back then.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

CheesyDog posted:

Please have them look into the legal rights the adopted kids have regarding post-secondary education; in some states former foster kids who spent X amount of time in state custody have funding for a college or vocational education at state-funded schools.
And if the parents die before the minor children are 18, see if there's assistance if you end up caring for them before they turn 18.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Haven't seen MLM stuff in this thread in a while

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

it takes a lot to make me go "holy poo poo" in the bwm thread but boy howdy

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

She’s really going after her community pretty hard. Strong ending.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
God shoot that in my loving VEINS.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lol thats the good poo poo

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I always feel bad where they are about to lose their husband/wife over this poo poo. It's really lovely what MLMs do to people.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sup dog I heard you like makeup so here's some rebranded poo poo off wish you're never gonna be able to sell, the honeymoon can wait

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Youth Decay posted:

Haven't seen MLM stuff in this thread in a while

I'm going to assume this is all one person even though there's no evidence for that. It's just funnier that way.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The 65 year olds adopting babies is my parents next door neighbor who is older than my parents although it is a weird mess of adopted grandkids (great grandchildren maybe?) along with not related individuals. Her parenting style is mostly just scream at them and threaten to throw them out.

From my knowledge of their outcomes.

Non Blood Adopted: (To my knowledge)
1. 28-29 year old who is homeless in Portland. I know this because they asked my dad if he could drive them to a greyhound station after they got thrown out for being a lesbian whose girlfriend was "stealing". Dropped Out HS
2. 26-27 year old younger sister who is also homeless in Portland. I know this because they asked my dad if he could drive them to a greyhound station after they got thrown out. She I think graduated from Community College?
3. 26-27 adopted dude who disappeared after he graduated high school. I have no idea what happened to him.

Kids of Son?: (Committed murder/suicide with wife at some point)
3. 24 year old who is the same age as me, has a job lives with her and way to much debt from one of those terrible art institute schools so can't move out. I talk to her on occasion.
4. 21-22 year old younger brother of above who has HIV Aids and dropped out of highschool and is cut off contact, his sister doesn't know if he is dead or not. I liked him, but he got into hard drugs in high school.

Kids of Adopted ~35+ something Daughter I never met~: (In prison for various things)
5. 19 year old grandson. Sells drugs... also he knocked up a 40 year old with 4 other kids and has baby now (the gently caress)??? Dropped out of HS. Getting thrown out like in a week or two.
6. 13-14 year old twins sisters of above son. I dunno much about them they just started high school, which is when everything fell apart for most ofthe others.
7. ~1 year old baby girl born in prison now adopted.

The most GWM person in this family is the grandaughter who went to a for profit college.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 17, 2018

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Jack2142 posted:

The 65 year olds adopting babies is my parents next door neighbor who is older than my parents although it is a weird mess of adopted grandkids (great grandchildren maybe?) along with not related individuals. Her parenting style is mostly just scream at them and threaten to throw them out.

From my knowledge of their outcomes.

Non Blood Adopted: (To my knowledge)
1. 28-29 year old who is homeless in Portland. I know this because they asked my dad if he could drive them to a greyhound station after they got thrown out for being a lesbian whose girlfriend was "stealing". Dropped Out HS
2. 26-27 year old younger sister who is also homeless in Portland. I know this because they asked my dad if he could drive them to a greyhound station after they got thrown out. She I think graduated from Community College?
3. 26-27 adopted dude who disappeared after he graduated high school. I have no idea what happened to him.

Kids of Son?: (Committed murder/suicide with wife at some point)
3. 24 year old who is the same age as me, has a job lives with her and way to much debt from one of those terrible art institute schools so can't move out. I talk to her on occasion.
4. 21-22 year old younger brother of above who has HIV Aids and dropped out of highschool and is cut off contact, his sister doesn't know if he is dead or not. I liked him, but he got into hard drugs in high school.

Kids of Daughter: (In prison for various things)
5. 19 year old grandson. Sells drugs... also he knocked up a 40 year old with 4 other kids and has baby now (the gently caress)??? Dropped out of HS. Getting thrown out like in a week or two.
6. 13-14 year old twins sisters of above son. I dunno much about them they just started high school, which is when everything fell apart for most ofthe others.
7. ~1 year old baby girl born in prison now adopted.

God drat... at least on our side, the kids have mostly turned out alright so far. The parents are a financial disaster but the kids have all grown up to be pretty damned cool/sweet once they realized how bad their parents' "follow your dreams no matter the cost" bullshit advice had been. :sigh:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Sundae posted:

God drat... at least on our side, the kids have mostly turned out alright so far. The parents are a financial disaster but the kids have all grown up to be pretty damned cool/sweet once they realized how bad their parents' "follow your dreams no matter the cost" bullshit advice had been. :sigh:

Yeah its a complete trainwreck.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Haifisch posted:

I'm going to assume this is all one person even though there's no evidence for that. It's just funnier that way.

It’s a loving three-act play, pure perfection as Shakespearean tragedy

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I didn't know PTSD was now one of those lifestyle "illnesses" you could put on and take off at whim to garner attention/sympathy/likes and subscribes. The more you know

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Weatherman posted:

I didn't know PTSD was now one of those lifestyle "illnesses" you could put on and take off at whim to garner attention/sympathy/likes and subscribes. The more you know

Count yourself very, very lucky to have apparently missed a large chunk of the last like 5 loving years of internet bullshit.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

wilderthanmild posted:

I always feel bad where they are about to lose their husband/wife over this poo poo. It's really lovely what MLMs do to people.

Future Husband now knows if he marries Future Wife she will spend him into the grave chasing every money losing opportunity she can find on the Internet. I'd consider the loss of the honeymoon fund to be the best money he'd ever spent.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I hate to be callous, but have you considered just not taking responsibility for another person's decision to adopt infants at 65? It was not your call to make getting in and that is something I would not hold the bag on. Family is important, and if my brother died and left a kid behind I would care for the child, but if my parents who are in their 70s decided to adopt over my objections, I wouldn't take responsibility for that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Ashcans posted:

Now that I am older and have the money I dreamed about, I know I need to carefully hoard it to avoid dying of exposure in my old age. :smith:

Dying of exposure can be extremely GWM, imagine how cheap the funeral will be if the vultures and coyotes have a few weeks to pick you over first!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The car you like is actually bad.

Subnote: NEVER go to the car subforum, it is the most depressing place on this entire dead website. Here's a fun quote from today, with bonus CryptoCurrency BWM

Hey, how about we don't go kicking a dude while he's down and admitting to making some lovely decisions thanks to what was, by all accounts, the divorce from hell.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 17, 2018

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Liquid Communism posted:

Hey, how about we don't go kicking a dude while he's down and admitting to making some lovely decisions thanks to what was, by all accounts, the divorce from hell.

Lol you’re in the wrong thread.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Weatherman posted:

I think it went Aspergers > PSTD > anxiety from about 2007 to now.

Trends come and go, so there may be a resurgence in PSTD claims soon.

CONTENT: Just wasted $19 AUD going to see Slenderman. On the plus side, "Wren" looks almost exactly like a girl I went to high school with.

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 17, 2018

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Sic Semper Goon posted:

CONTENT: Just wasted $19 AUD going to see Slenderman. On the plus side, "Wren" looks almost exactly like a girl I went to high school with.

:chloe: they started filming that when the actress was 17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's amazing that people keep falling for MLM with how many jokes and warnings there are about it, but its attractiveness really must just be baked into our dumb, desperate brains.

A friend of mine got tricked by one a few years ago. His parents had fallen on hard times, and he heard that a friend of a friend of a friend had earned a 'free' Mustang through this energy drink scheme, so he started watching all the videos and forwarding them to me. He dropped $500 to buy in. I immediately told him what it was and refused to humor it at all. A few days later he called me, totally dejected, and admitted he finally realized what it was. It was actually soon enough that he was able to get a refund.