Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I read a leaked script. In the end, Ralph and Vanelope become a sort of Galactus and Silver Surfer duo, looking for media congomerates to swallow and absorb into the Disney empire.

Bullshit if Wreck It Ralph 2 doesn't end in someone rediscovering (recontextualizing) Fix It Felix, Jr. in some fashion. The cycle will continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

Aside from Pocahontas still looking weird, I actually like this casual wear look for the princesses, even if Snow White's is a little too meta-y for my tastes.

Not to mention Elsa's "JUST LET IT GO" shirt. I'm sure the merchandise is already on the way to a Disney Store near you.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCwzj-Ppwo4
So I guess in Ralph Breaks the Internet there is a... racing thing? Still no hint of a larger plot.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

paradoxGentleman posted:

So I guess in Ralph Breaks the Internet there is a... racing thing? Still no hint of a larger plot.

That suggests the main plot is so good they want it to be a surprise, oooorrr

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At least it's a change from trailers spoiling the entire plot of the movie?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Or you know there is a middle ground between 'spoiling all the plot' and 'leaving the audience confused as to why this was even being made'.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

paradoxGentleman posted:

Holy poo poo, Merida's line is great. It's like Scottish Twitter came alive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

"We can't understand her."
"She's from the other studio."
"Ahh."

I could possibly forgive this if there's that many fourth wall breaking jokes.

Weird that there's a new Strong Female Protagonist, maybe because the last one got married? And she was already Samus Aran+Nova+Ellen Ripley. (some overlap there)

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Saw something about Dreamworks starting to make shorts pop up in my Twitter feed, starting with Bilby. There's a short clip and some concept art in the article. It looks cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAaT-W06bFE

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
For the record, I believe the plot of Wreck it Ralph 2 is that they need to go online to try and find a part for one of the arcade machines that broke down or something of that nature.

I don't remember exactly where I heard that though so I might be pulling that from no where.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I want to believe WIR2 will be good, but so far it looks like someone came up with a cool short where all the Disney princesses hang out and rather than release that in front of another movie they decided to build a shanty town of a plot around it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

glam rock hamhock posted:

For the record, I believe the plot of Wreck it Ralph 2 is that they need to go online to try and find a part for one of the arcade machines that broke down or something of that nature.

I don't remember exactly where I heard that though so I might be pulling that from no where.
I mean, that's better motivation than "The Internet showed up at the terminal the other day, let's check it out because we have literally nothing better to do", which is what the trailers make it out to be.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mary and the Witch’s Flower is a real nothing of a film. Its like opening a present and inside are school clothes

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Barudak posted:

Mary and the Witch’s Flower is a real nothing of a film. Its like opening a present and inside are school clothes
Trying to invoke Miyazaki so much was a bit of a mistake. Miyazaki films transcend time from me. When I'm done with them, I feel like I just read an entire book in a sitting or gotten back from a week long trip overseas.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Animation adjacent, I got George of the Jungle out of the library and it is still a delight.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I loved that movie as a kid. It's basically a live action cartoon.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Saw something about Dreamworks starting to make shorts pop up in my Twitter feed, starting with Bilby. There's a short clip and some concept art in the article. It looks cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAaT-W06bFE

Zoo-TWO-pia when?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

LeJackal posted:

Zoo-TWO-pia when?
Ignoring that Bilby there is Dreamworks and not Disney, I have to imagine there's some sort of follow-up planned for Zootopia, given it only made Disney a billion dollars. Whether that's a full film, like Wreck-It Ralph and Frozen, or a TV show, like Tangled and Big Hero 6, remains to be seen.

Though given the lack of merchandising visible on toy shelves at Target and T-Shirt racks at various stores, I'm guessing it didn't move merchandise all that well? Might weigh into their decision not to follow it up with a sequel (that and the plot concluded at a pretty solid position; as much as I want more of that world, given how uneasy Ralph Wrecks the Internet is making me, it may be for the best that they stick with that conclusion and don't try for a sequel that then ends up heavily missing the mark). All that said, I've gathered you can still find Zoo merch in Japan fairly readily, so I guess they do have at least one market to capitalize on.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Their merchandising strategy was abysmal and there was almost zero merchandise at Disney Stores while it was in theatres. What they did have was relegated to corners of stores to make way for the hundredth Frozen shirt or princess gown. Not that I many doubts that those would have sold more than Z merchandise either way.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I read a leaked script. In the end, Ralph and Vanelope become a sort of Galactus and Silver Surfer duo, looking for media congomerates to swallow and absorb into the Disney empire.

given the trailer, this is pretty believable. bonus points if there's a stinger advertising a galactus movie to celebrate the merger

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

The_Doctor posted:

Scottish Twitter is definitely the best thing and I'm glad Merida is the new face of it

https://twitter.com/Lookin4Serenity/status/1029155179592077312

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Ignoring that Bilby there is Dreamworks and not Disney, I have to imagine there's some sort of follow-up planned for Zootopia, given it only made Disney a billion dollars. Whether that's a full film, like Wreck-It Ralph and Frozen, or a TV show, like Tangled and Big Hero 6, remains to be seen.

Though given the lack of merchandising visible on toy shelves at Target and T-Shirt racks at various stores, I'm guessing it didn't move merchandise all that well? Might weigh into their decision not to follow it up with a sequel (that and the plot concluded at a pretty solid position; as much as I want more of that world, given how uneasy Ralph Wrecks the Internet is making me, it may be for the best that they stick with that conclusion and don't try for a sequel that then ends up heavily missing the mark). All that said, I've gathered you can still find Zoo merch in Japan fairly readily, so I guess they do have at least one market to capitalize on.

Martytoof posted:

Their merchandising strategy was abysmal and there was almost zero merchandise at Disney Stores while it was in theatres. What they did have was relegated to corners of stores to make way for the hundredth Frozen shirt or princess gown. Not that I many doubts that those would have sold more than Z merchandise either way.

There's more merchandise in other countries vs the US. It's kind of weird. A lot of the stuff that Byron Howard and Corey Loftis posted on Twitter came from like Disney Japan or something.

It's kind of like the HUGE amount of We Bare Bears stuff in places like Japan and South Korea. Where as the US is stuck with overpriced Hot Topic plushies (and maybe some poo poo no one wants on Cartoon Networks' website), there's a plane with WBB decals in Korea, a LOT of plushies, a ton of hats, shoes, ice cream....pretty much anything you can think of with WBB logos or characters on them.

Basically, what I'm saying is, blame Disney (and CN) for no merchandise. They figure the US audiences would rather go to Hot Topic and have poo poo mobile games instead.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don't know how anyone could possibly come to the conclusion that Americans wouldn't buy things that have animal people on them but Disney did somehow.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

ThermoPhysical posted:

Basically, what I'm saying is, blame Disney (and CN) for no merchandise. They figure the US audiences would rather go to Hot Topic and have poo poo mobile games instead.
I would totally wander into Hot Topic and navigate the store, completely out of my element, for another Zootopia shirt if they actually stocked any (they don't, according to their website anyway).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

I would totally wander into Hot Topic and navigate the store, completely out of my element, for another Zootopia shirt if they actually stocked any (they don't, according to their website anyway).

The only Zootopia shirt I've ever seen is the one on Disney Movie Rewards' website.

It also might be on the Disney Store online...but yeah.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Zootopia I think Disney both didn't expect it to be the success it was and also still really doesn't feel confident in marketing... traditionally-less-than-mature 'cute' items like plushies and the like to an older demographic in the US (as do most other corporations). Mickey and friends excluded because that's an institution at this point.

Small figurines and statues adults you can get away with saying they're purely decorative or they're collectibles, but that's a much harder sell with a plush toy or an articulated figure. The only retailer that even explicitly markets childish stuff to adults is Hot Topic.

In Japan Disney probably felt more comfortable pushing out higher quality and more varied merchandise because that's just how the market is. Recent-fad-anime-that-was-actually-pretty-good from Sanrio Aggretsuko was made literally because they realized one of their biggest demographics was office ladies.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ishikabibble posted:

In Japan Disney probably felt more comfortable pushing out higher quality and more varied merchandise because that's just how the market is. R

Yeah, they released these amazing Judy & Nick figures in Japan:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What really matters is the merchandising, clearly.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just finished the last season of Trollhunters and man that thing is much better than it should be. Didn’t realize Anthon Yelchin played Jim and that’s kinda sad.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

The lengths to which I would go for decent merchandise for Zootopia begin at a foray into Hot Topic.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Disney in general is exceptionally bad at making merchandise for anything that isn't their biggest core properties-just look at how long it took for them to release anything for Gravity Falls.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

or how they restored all the Silly Symphonies in 4K and decided the only thing to release from that project was a vinyl-only release of the soundtracks.

Meanwhile, you can buy the complete Misterjaw and Dogfather on Blu-Ray...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

According to my time at Blockbuster Disney is all about limited releases and maybe anniversaries, they really haven't adjusted to the 'I want it all and I want it now, and I'll pay money if that's more convenient' digital age.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
IIRC back when Alex Hirsch was still running Gravity Falls he said that the biggest problem is that Disney is so loving big now, it's effectively impossible for anything other than a major movie, Marvel, or Star Wars to get any attention from the wider merchandising juggernaut. There are exceptions, such as the Disney Hyperion publishing branch that put out Journal #3, and licensing deals with external vendors through people like the Mystery Shack guy. But those are the exceptions-and as a result, Disney shows, movies, and other products get much less support than they otherwise would at a smaller megacorporation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

When they were pushing Infinity there was a bit of a broader marketing push (3D models of Phineas and Ferb characters look weird) but apparently that was also plagued by ineffable demands from producers. (leading to piles of Yondus gathering dust on store shelves. Funny thing is I'm pretty sure he was a lot more popular after GotG2)

Quite possibly Disney's marketing is too afraid of competing with itself pitting smaller franchises against larger ones.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Quite possibly Disney's marketing is too afraid of competing with itself pitting smaller franchises against larger ones.

Fanfiction has shown the way - simply combine everything into one franchise, and there's no worry about that.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Fanfiction has shown the way - simply combine everything into one franchise, and there's no worry about that.

They did that, though, Disney Infinity was actually quite popular and had figures for every character in the game which was constantly expanding.

Then they closed it down cause it cost too much, even while making money.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SatansBestBuddy posted:

They did that, though, Disney Infinity was actually quite popular and had figures for every character in the game which was constantly expanding.

Then they closed it down cause it cost too much, even while making money.

My friend, you need to think bigger. Imagine a movie, with all characters. Every shot is a panoramic sweep of pop culture history, averaging 339 intellectual properties per second of film footage. The narrative is nothing more than the kaleidoscopic movements of these figures.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
RPO already exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

RPO already exists

And it sucks!
Well, the book sucks. I've heard the movie might be slightly better?