Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Poopernickel posted:

now, drinking on the job otoh,
That's how I lost my job at the sperm bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Peeny Cheez posted:

:cumpolice:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Peeny Cheez posted:

:staredog:

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lots of these exist but they are all terrible because the only legal way to run macos is on genuine apple hardware

so you pay top dollar to rent a macos host by the hour, but you are still running on either a mac mini or a mac pro from 2013

nah. vsts is good.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Fiedler posted:

nah. vsts is good.

lol

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

you've used vsts for mac builds?

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
VST > vsts

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

hmm. checks out

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!

Poopernickel posted:

Only game I play on the job is nethack on nethack.alt.org

:yeah:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

valve built wine directly into the linux steam client

on the one hand they're serious about hedging their bets, on the other now there is no reason to make a native linux port of a game

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

pseudorandom name posted:

on the one hand they're serious about hedging their bets, on the other now there is no reason to make a native linux port of a game

there never was

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

why would you need steam in a server environment?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Seriously though, many games that run on wine depend on Microsoft libraries. Winetricks downloads the required libraries from microsoft's ftp server. A native linux port wouldn't have the issue of Microsoft's license for those libraries. So if the whole point is to hedge your bets against a windows store lock in, you really are only getting that by going native.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Also, how did Oracle V. Google shake out as far as the entire API re-implementation thing?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Anyone remember when nethack was basically the only linux game?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the other one was tuxracer

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

y’all forgetting xevil

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

you should post the announcement, they list the initial games supported

https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561

:itshappening:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

there's a checkbox in the settings to enable it for all games

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There are now quite a few Mono-based games in steam. You're hosed if you try to compile any though, I was trying to recompile SMAPI last night because the release refuses to work, and because msbuild has issues with frameworks on linux and the solution uses multiple frameworks, one or the other will kill the build. So yeah, lol.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ewe2 posted:

There are now quite a few Mono-based games in steam. You're hosed if you try to compile any though, I was trying to recompile SMAPI last night because the release refuses to work, and because msbuild has issues with frameworks on linux and the solution uses multiple frameworks, one or the other will kill the build. So yeah, lol.

yeah, i bet that figuring out what framework you should choose for compiling your c# is a big deal for people wanting to play games through steam on linux

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Also, how did Oracle V. Google shake out as far as the entire API re-implementation thing?

i dunno but they're both still incredibly powerful n wealthy corporations and the rest of us still lose :yeah:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Tankakern posted:

yeah, i bet that figuring out what framework you should choose for compiling your c# is a big deal for people wanting to play games through steam on linux

It's a mod, dummy. The game is fine.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
it’s good that doom 2 and ultimate dooom work in steam wine, so now you can download them on Linux, pull out the .wad files, and put them in gzdoom

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
there's a vr fork of gzdoom now, too

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Truga posted:

there's a vr fork of gzdoom now, too

neat, I guess

doom is so perfect

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
a while ago (year? more?) there as a steam client update that removed the ability to filter recommendations/etc. based on platform, and i had to put in more than one support ticket "please restore the ability to let me never see games that dont run on my operating system" and i think it took months for valve to fix that

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Anyone remember that time the steam linux client beta deleted everything owned by my user and it made the top of slashdot and HN? I sure do.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
code:
#scary
rm -rf $some_var_that_could_evaluate_to_nothing/
Best part of that was all the people who were like "yeah all my files got deleted to, but I didn't think anything of it". Apparently losing everything is such a common part of desktop linux that I was the only one bothered by it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

nothing of value was lost

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

*gets ejected from PNC park for disorderly conduct into thread*

videogames are for children

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I just threw on Witcher 3 under steam play, shocked that it works so well.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
counterpoint: McDonald’s is for children

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

ewe2 posted:

I just threw on Witcher 3 under steam play, shocked that it works so well.

b/c a half dozen nerds did thousands of hours of free work so they could play the witcher 3 w/o pirating windows.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

SYSV Fanfic posted:

b/c a half dozen nerds did thousands of hours of free work so they could play the witcher 3 w/o pirating windows.

god bless them, every one

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

god bless them, every one

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Makes me wonder how much of desktop linux development is driven by people who are paid in currencies where you can equate months of rent to a windows license.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Makes me wonder how much of desktop linux development is driven by people who are paid in currencies where you can equate months of rent to a windows license.

do you really think people choose linux on their own computer because of money

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
honestly if apple doesn't release a decent laptop soon i'll be strongly considering moving to linux as my daily driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

honestly if apple doesn't release a decent laptop soon i'll be strongly considering moving to linux as my daily driver.

i dont think its realistic to expect f-keys back