Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

MizPiz posted:

I remember their being someone (maybe mpre than one) who said this movie should get the same praise and recognition Black Panther got.

FOUND IT
https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1030094016954748929

(also, Wrinkle In Time bombed because it wasn't that good of a film, plus one of the characters literally spoke in Hamilton quotes half the time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

get that OUT of my face posted:

say what you will about Tyler Perry, but his movies tap into a demographic usually ignored by Hollywood. the only people Crazy Rich Asians would appeal to are bougie california asians, and there aren't that many of those

idk it makes sense to me, I figure there's still a decent market for not-awful romcoms (which Hollywood only seems to be able to produce about twice a decade recently) and you pretty much need a gimmick/twist at this point, moving the thing to an asian context makes it simultaneously representational or slightly "exotic" while letting you leverage a lot of the traditional plot elements without major alterations

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DACK FAYDEN posted:

lol if you wouldn't have done the same, that takes some serious brazenness

Oh absolutely, and her logic was solid as hell

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

LGD posted:

idk it makes sense to me, I figure there's still a decent market for not-awful romcoms (which Hollywood only seems to be able to produce about twice a decade recently) and you pretty much need a gimmick/twist at this point, moving the thing to an asian context makes it simultaneously representational or slightly "exotic" while letting you leverage a lot of the traditional plot elements without major alterations

it's a movie about hyperwealthy people

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Troy Queef posted:

FOUND IT

(also, Wrinkle In Time bombed because it wasn't that good of a film, plus one of the characters literally spoke in Hamilton quotes half the time)

omg

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I don't know what's real anymore.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

FOUND IT

Lena Waithe bought out an entire goddamn theater for this piece of poo poo movie

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What is the point of reping this movie so hard? Do not enough people know that asians can be rich?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

OmanyteJackson posted:

What is the point of reping this movie so hard? Do not enough people know that asians can be rich?

the richness isnt terribly important. the reason people like it is that its a cookie cutter romcom (which despite them being cliche as hell hollywood has been unable to make a decent one (except for silver linings playbook) for over a decade) with an all asian cast. its a mundane hollywood thing youve seen 50 times before, but the characters are asian, and (hopefully, i havent seen it) the plot isnt all about their asianness. instead they get to do white people romcom things like theyre julia roberts.

from what i have heard of the Discourse surrounding it, it seems a lot more actually woke than the CIA propaganda thing of black panther, where the warriors of the super techno african nation were wearing tribal dress and chucking spears around

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 03:33 on Aug 17, 2018

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i'm glad the one youtube actress is making a career out of being an asian person who does black minstrelsy. can't wait for libs to explain why that poo poo is actually super good, and progressive.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

R. Guyovich posted:

i'm glad the one youtube actress is making a career out of being an asian person who does black minstrelsy. can't wait for libs to explain why that poo poo is actually super good, and progressive.

wait what

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

:same:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

the richness isnt terribly important. the reason people like it is that its a cookie cutter romcom (which despite them being cliche as hell hollywood has been unable to make a decent one (except for silver linings playbook) for over a decade) with an all asian cast. its a mundane hollywood thing youve seen 50 times before, but the characters are asian, and (hopefully, i havent seen it) the plot isnt all about their asianness. instead they get to do white people romcom things like theyre julia roberts.

from what i have heard of the Discourse surrounding it, it seems a lot more actually woke than the CIA propaganda thing of black panther, where the warriors of the super techno african nation were wearing tribal dress and chucking spears around
but at the end of the day, it's a boring stupid romcom with asian people instead of a boring stupid romcom with white people. truly a watershed civil rights moment for asian-americans

we shouldn't be celebrating mediocrity just because of representation, and wokeoholic critics should do their jobs of saying whether a movie is good or bad instead of hyping up garbage. they tried to do that with A Wrinkle In Time and guess what, it bombed because it was a bad movie

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i mean i havent seen it so i dont know whether its a poo poo romcom like one of the mid-2000s adam sandler ones or a good one like silver linings playbook

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

i mean i havent seen it so i dont know whether its a poo poo romcom like one of the mid-2000s adam sandler ones or a good one like silver linings playbook
hollywood being hollywood, it's probably something in between and easily forgetten 30 minutes after watching

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Based on the trailer I don't know how you could possibly call it woke considering how much it fellates the idea of the benevolent billionaire.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Based on the trailer I don't know how you could possibly call it woke considering how much it fellates the idea of the benevolent billionaire.
the people whose job it is to call movies "important" don't care about anything other than superficial representation

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i didnt watch the trailer

in general the characters in romcoms are fabulously wealthy because otherwise the idea that they have the time to commit to drama and will-he-wont-he arent believable

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

awkwafina has been in two major motion pictures (one of which is crazy rich asians) playing an asian-american character who uses heavy aave. this is also how she became popular on youtube.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

she has to be a plant

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

WampaLord posted:

Being woke has never meant paying any mind to economic inequality of any kind

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

WampaLord posted:

caring about class or economic inequality is extremely unwoke, and possibly racist

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

cant believe forums poster wampalord is a racist who thinks asians cant be billionaires

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OmanyteJackson posted:

You are forgetting that they are also crazy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M4HNvkPtlg

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

R. Guyovich posted:

awkwafina has been in two major motion pictures (one of which is crazy rich asians) playing an asian-american character who uses heavy aave. this is also how she became popular on youtube.

I liked her in BoJack Horseman.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Paladinus posted:

You are forgetting that they are also crazy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M4HNvkPtlg

lol

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

R. Guyovich posted:

read this as akinfenwa who definitely isn't asian (would still be weird to have him using heavy aave) though

Whorelord has issued a correction as of 10:09 on Aug 17, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/heroichollywood/status/1029884662158700544

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

from most reviews it's basically a riff on Pretty Woman but in Singapore and incredibly opulent

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Guy who dresses as his animal totem is an atheist, decides editor incapable of reflection.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 19:33 on Aug 17, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

love to have my Filipino servants caned for displeasing my tyrant of a wife, sighed the Crazy Henpecked Asian Billionaire Dad to his third mistress

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Didn't Batman become a god at one point?

How can you be an Atheist after that? Agnostic sure, but you have evidence of multiple gods existing. Maybe this Batman character is not as smart as we thought...

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
DC does hard or soft reboots every 5-10 years, that’s like asking “if Batman is so above the standard justice system why did he have a police badge in the 1950s?”.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Fried Watermelon posted:

Didn't Batman become a god at one point?

How can you be an Atheist after that? Agnostic sure, but you have evidence of multiple gods existing. Maybe this Batman character is not as smart as we thought...

If I remember correctly, DC has literal angels in their comics. There's a superhero with, I think, archangel Michael's sword or something.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

isnt wonder woman like the daughter of athena or something. how do you be an atheist when one of your best pals who you solve mysteries with is a god

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's a movie about hyperwealthy people

kinda beaten on this, but thats actually in part what I meant about "traditional elements," romcoms as a genre are bougie as gently caress, because the whole thing depends on an assumed level of economic security and while hardly mandatory its not like heirs/heiresses/royalty have not been fairly stock characters

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Shear Modulus posted:

isnt wonder woman like the daughter of athena or something. how do you be an atheist when one of your best pals who you solve mysteries with is a god

all atheists are retards op

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
that is not offensive i literally mean their spiritual development is retarded

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Batman's spiritual attitude has often been shown as way more complicated anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It was an unfortunate typographical error.

Batman is a batheist.