Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
well okay but if u just want to post about memes & ur perception of them then plz go into PYF this is movie subforum (check top & bottom of page if unsure)

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Hat Thoughts posted:

well okay but if u just want to post about memes & ur perception of them then plz go into PYF this is movie subforum (check top & bottom of page if unsure)

I'm pretty sure they didn't loop it

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Just watching the fight again on Netflix, the big thing of the fight seems to be characters getting pinned or grappled and then escaping through some weird or unexpected manipulation of a weapon. Not sure what we're supposed to make of that other than Rian thinking about how to cut the Gordian Knot of Fiduciary Responsibility Demanding We Produce More Star Wars Movies (FRDWPMSWM).

Edit: You want to know my opinion on Rian Johnson? He's a perfectly capable Television Director.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Just watched the original fight and auralnauts didn't loop it in FFC

Btw I'm not saying the Anakin vs. Obiwan fight isn't sweet. Even if it goes on too long it's still probably the sweetest fight in Star Wars. That part is just funny

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

porfiria posted:

Edit: You want to know my opinion on Rian Johnson

Not really.

quote:

He's a perfectly capable Television Director.

Alright. Despite his tv episodes looking cinematic as gently caress but what evs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

See also: the force push.

It would be nice to see more of that kind of thing. It's a shame there wasn't more of it in the other prequels and there hasn't been more of it so far in the new movies. I think Rey and Kylo trying to Force pull Anakin's lightsaber at the same time is the closest there's been.

Amusingly enough I first saw that (two characters using Force pull on a lightsaber between them) in one of the "Ryan vs Dorkman" videos from around 2003 or so.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

porfiria posted:

Just watching the fight again on Netflix, the big thing of the fight seems to be characters getting pinned or grappled and then escaping through some weird or unexpected manipulation of a weapon. Not sure what we're supposed to make of that other than Rian thinking about how to cut the Gordian Knot of Fiduciary Responsibility Demanding We Produce More Star Wars Movies (FRDWPMSWM).

Edit: You want to know my opinion on Rian Johnson? He's a perfectly capable Television Director.

Getting pinned down and then escaping by means of an unexpected manipulation of a previously established tool happens to the Resistance repeatedly. First they get away from the First Order fleet when Holdo does something unexpected with their flagship, then they get away from the advancing walkers when Luke does something unexpected with the Force and his reputation. Again and again, it's Rey and/or her friends, who now live in her inherited spaceship, barely managing to keep their heads above water.

All of this ingenuity is in service of reintroducing the forgotten Jedi texts to a galaxy that is hoped to be receptive to them, tying back into the much more overt theme about how deeply to bury the mistakes of the past.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Question Friend posted:

Just watched the original fight and auralnauts didn't loop it in FFC

Btw I'm not saying the Anakin vs. Obiwan fight isn't sweet. Even if it goes on too long it's still probably the sweetest fight in Star Wars. That part is just funny

I dunno what FFC is but I googled auralnauts and in 'jedi dance fight' they both loop and replay after a quick cutaway the spinning light sabre scene. In the film you can count obi wan's light sabre making 4 distinct trips behind his back, in 'jedi dance fight' during the first showing of the clip, his light sabre travels behind his back 9 times. I used youtube's 0.25 speed setting to perform these observations, they cannot be questioned friend.

In the film I still think it looks a bit daft, but no more so than when they actually contact with each other's light sabres as why not try to hit where the other guy's sword isn't although I am not an expert sword fighter and I guess you have to worry about the other guy hitting you as well so there's a balance to be struck between offence and defence I suppose.

Anyway.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I dunno what FFC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddNXFwHDMSY

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Anyone else think Kylo wasn’t lying when he said “the girl killed him” re: snoke?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
If you wanna get real nitpicky, wouldn't the best way to fight with lightsabers be like fencing?

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Anyone else think Kylo wasn’t lying when he said “the girl killed him” re: snoke?

Nah, the editing and Snoke's dumb dialogue in that scene make it pretty clear Kylo did it.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Well I’m gonna continue to believe it was Rey because it’s more fun for my personal canon.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She’s is definitely a proximate cause.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was literally Kylo ren who killed him.

You see him do it

He does it

What the Christ

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Well I’m gonna continue to believe it was Rey because it’s more fun for my personal canon.

:hmmyes:

You do you

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

You see him do it

He does it

What the Christ

Kylo was like 20 yards away.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh you’re right, I thought this was a Star Wars movie

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Snoke actually commits suicide, but it's completely accidental on his part. He was so overconfident about what he thought Kylo was doing that he unconsciously used the Force to do it himself. He believes he is describing a) Kylo turning the lightsaber to kill his true enemy (Rey); the audience is being led to assume that he is describing b) Kylo turning the lightsaber to kill his true enemy (Snoke); but in actual fact, c) he is himself turning the lightsaber to kill his true enemy (himself - his own overconfidence is his downfall much as Palpatine's was his) and describing himself doing it while mistakenly believing that he was describing (a). It is very obvious.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7MLY9P34Sk

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

CelticPredator posted:

You see him do it

He does it

What the Christ

That light sabre very shortly afterwards explodes. It was clearly faulty. Snoke's death was a workplace accident.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rey Catches the light saber after it cuts through Snoke. That clearly shows she summoned it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Theory: It was established in TFA that Anakin’s laser sword is sentient and can ‘call out’ to people or whatever. It called Rey to get it out of the box it was trapped it in, for example.

So, when the laser sword flies into Rey’s hand, that is not Rey controlling it. Anakin’s sword has flight powers and can read minds. It saw Rey in danger and decided to help her out.

(The sword’s flight powers explain how it got out of Bespin’s core.)

In fact, this is likely how all powers work in Star Wars: when Luke levitates a rock, it’s not actually Luke doing it. It is that the sentient, superpowered rock reads Luke’s mind and decides to hover for him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

euphronius posted:

Rey Catches the light saber after it cuts through Snoke. That clearly shows she summoned it.

I’m gonna say probably not but it doesn’t matter either way. She didn’t kill him.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lightsabers: Droids?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I’m gonna say probably not but it doesn’t matter either way. She didn’t kill him.

She’s closest and it’s her light saber.

I mean I guess it’s possible as mentioned above the sword is a sentient person like R2 and killed Snoke to help Rey out like how R2 saves Anakin in Ep1.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In fact, this is likely how all powers work in Star Wars: when Luke levitates a rock, it’s not actually Luke doing it. It is that the sentient, superpowered rock reads Luke’s mind and decides to hover for him.

I've always read Yoda's speech to Luke with this in mind. When he says the force flows and binds everything, he wasn't speaking metaphorically, he literally meant everything in the universe is soaked in the force and when you're in tune with it, you can get the environment around you to sync with your thoughts and respond accordingly.

There was a comic book written by Brian K. Vaughan called Ex Machina that operated on the same premise.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Question Friend posted:

When a wuxia hero spins his spear around or something it's usually at the beginning. You know like a preparation

And when it's not then it's just a little flourish when they have an opening to boost the next attack. In RotS it looks goofy as gently caress because they're just standing flat footed right next to each other doing several revolutions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsLC_RX5EbA&t=141s

Uhh no dude. Wuxia is full of fights where the combatants are blatantly partners in a dance.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Snoke actually commits suicide, but it's completely accidental on his part. He was so overconfident about what he thought Kylo was doing that he unconsciously used the Force to do it himself. He believes he is describing a) Kylo turning the lightsaber to kill his true enemy (Rey); the audience is being led to assume that he is describing b) Kylo turning the lightsaber to kill his true enemy (Snoke); but in actual fact, c) he is himself turning the lightsaber to kill his true enemy (himself - his own overconfidence is his downfall much as Palpatine's was his) and describing himself doing it while mistakenly believing that he was describing (a). It is very obvious.

It's this now

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snoke is evidently in constant pain from his injuries but doesn't feel capable of ending his own life, so he is training Kylo and trying to make him more powerful so Kylo will one day euthanise him, just as Vader did to the Emperor. That's what he means when he says he thinks Kylo could be "another Lord Vader" - he is trying to turn him into his executioner. But when he believes Kylo is on the verge of "completing his training", he becomes carried away and unconsciously ends his own life, hence his surprised expression; he didn't realise that he had it in him to commit suicide. It's all very obvious.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Snoke is evidently in constant pain from his injuries but doesn't feel capable of ending his own life, so he is training Kylo and trying to make him more powerful so Kylo will one day euthanise him, just as Vader did to the Emperor. That's what he means when he says he thinks Kylo could be "another Lord Vader" - he is trying to turn him into his executioner. But when he believes Kylo is on the verge of "completing his training", he becomes carried away and unconsciously ends his own life, hence his surprised expression; he didn't realise that he had it in him to commit suicide. It's all very obvious.

["trust no one not even yourself" meme with snoke's face photoshopped in twice]

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH_Ws7sA468

Trailer for Star Wars: Resistance hit today

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

jivjov posted:

My kids are gonna eat this poo poo up.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

jivjov posted:

No Man's Sky finally got a story!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

euphronius posted:

She’s closest and it’s her light saber.

I mean I guess it’s possible as mentioned above the sword is a sentient person like R2 and killed Snoke to help Rey out like how R2 saves Anakin in Ep1.

Good goddamn lord

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
o-face

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CelticPredator posted:

Good goddamn lord

Snoke is obviously stabbing himself there. It's clear if you pay close attention to his expression in the last one; that's the face most people make when they fatally stab themselves.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Good goddamn lord

You know they're loving with you right?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

You know they're loving with you right?

I barreled into this silly conversation with this face, not the other way around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Showing Ben manipulating the saber always felt like a misstep to me.

Like maybe it’s an issue of other films setting my expectations but still I can’t help but wonder if it would have played better as a surprise-twist sort of moment.