Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Barudak posted:

Iirc they arent purchaseable, they only come from fights but Id love to be wrong!

I was able to locate every type of Seed and Dust along with Noxroot and Essence of Grape in stores.

It looks like everything else is from battles and shaking down NPCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Some Numbers posted:

I was able to locate every type of Seed and Dust along with Noxroot and Essence of Grape in stores.

It looks like everything else is from battles and shaking down NPCs.

Pretty much. I’ve had luck finding Curious Bloom from bat enemies, hopefully there’s some good sources for finding more. Oddly Essence of Pomegranate was one I never had issues getting, even using a ton of it I always had more than enough, but I never could get a decent collection of Plum.

Steal with the double item passive helps a lot in farming them.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Hand Row posted:

You never really have a main team, especially if you want to play all the content. But it's fun to think about anyway, so I would suggest Prim instead of Cyrus.

I think this is untrue, the game lends itself to an A and B team setup where you beat all the stories on one and then on the other so your level 50 main doesn't just effortlessly stomp everything.

Mega64 posted:

You're missing out, my Tressa was breaking 30k an attack with Wind Rune and both wind-boosting weapons.

She's on the Primrose sorc team. The entire gimmick of that is to stall until the Primrose wombo combo is set up and blow through 300k damage during the first break.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm playing chrono trigger at the same time as this and there's so much amazing art in this, and way ... more plot etc, but chrono trigger just seems like a better game, plain and simple.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

redreader posted:

I'm playing chrono trigger at the same time as this and there's so much amazing art in this, and way ... more plot etc, but chrono trigger just seems like a better game, plain and simple.

Yes, the best JRPG ever made is better than this game.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Mega64 posted:

BP Eater's great for your damage dealers, but it's pointless for your healers, support, and your Runelord (since Boost doesn't affect rune attacks AFAIK). The tricky part really is fitting it above other valuable passives.

Elemental Aid and BP Eater makes Balogar's Blade hit like a six trucks. Especially Tressa with 4 +elemental weapons.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

redreader posted:

wait are you saying Octopath has more plot than Chrono Trigger? that seems kind of nuts especially with how CT eventually goes.

Defect Mechanism
Jun 2, 2005
Pants McGee's Shoost Butan
Help i hit a exp x 100 in a random battle and now my A team is 10-12 levels above everyone else. (i didnt even want olberic that high yet)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

DLC Inc posted:

wait are you saying Octopath has more plot than Chrono Trigger? that seems kind of nuts especially with how CT eventually goes.

Well... I'm saying there's WAY more text overall in Octopath. And I haven't finished CT yet... In the magic kingdom currently.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Defect Mechanism posted:

Help i hit a exp x 100 in a random battle and now my A team is 10-12 levels above everyone else. (i didnt even want olberic that high yet)
I mean, sure, but enjoy Olberic clonking the hell out of way more civilians just trying to live their life.

Defect Mechanism
Jun 2, 2005
Pants McGee's Shoost Butan

RoboCicero posted:

I mean, sure, but enjoy Olberic clonking the hell out of way more civilians just trying to live their life.

Fair point. Might as well go to grandpoint and continue the clobber

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
lmbo cheesed the gently caress out of the warbringer boss by abusing runemaster and tressa

what's up 8 stack of sidestep on the entire party :getin:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Some Numbers posted:

I just did a 24 city circuit and I didn't find a shop that sells Essence of Pomegranate, but there are some monsters in the Path of Beasts (side dungeon near H'aanit's town), so I'm farming. I've gone from 15 to 51 in about 25 minutes.

Ah, sorry about that. I did have 99 of them, but that may have just happened while I was farming in the Forest of Purgation. Was flying through those battles very fast and not paying attention to whatever items were dropping.

I also went around every city and stole from every NPC before doing the final fight, so that may have contributed to it as well.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

qbert posted:

Ah, sorry about that. I did have 99 of them, but that may have just happened while I was farming in the Forest of Purgation. Was flying through those battles very fast and not paying attention to whatever items were dropping.

I also went around every city and stole from every NPC before doing the final fight, so that may have contributed to it as well.

No worries, I got my 99 pretty easily.

I gave the final boss a shot and (postgame)I definitely split my team wrong, with Warmaster in the first phase and Sorcerer on the second and I'm thinking it needs to be the other way around.

Also, my "B" team just...didn't do very much.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Some Numbers posted:

No worries, I got my 99 pretty easily.

I gave the final boss a shot and (postgame)I definitely split my team wrong, with Warmaster in the first phase and Sorcerer on the second and I'm thinking it needs to be the other way around.

Also, my "B" team just...didn't do very much.

Here was my split

Team 1
Sorcerer Cyrus (damage, suggest SP Saver over Surpassing Power since I couldn't get him to break 9999 damage even with 999 Elem Atk)
Apothecary Olberic (just used items and cure poison as needed, cast the Divine Apoth whenever you can so that you can use the (L) BP item on yourself and hit the whole party)
Merchant Therion (either BP battery or whatever support was needed. Would sometimes use his thief divine to kill all the adds at once)
Cleric Primrose (heal, divine on Cyrus, Dancer divine on herself + Reflect when there was a free turn)

Team 2
Runelord Tressa (Transfer Rune + full boosted Sidestep asap, then just light rune the whole party and attack)
Warmaster H'annit (spam divine basically, would suggest Surpassing Power passive since she was the only one to break 9999. Also Leghold Trap on main boss when all the adds are dead)
Starseer Alfyn (basically Concoct every turn with the group BP/SP/Heal, doesn't really matter what his second class is)
Dancer Ophelia (Boosted Heal More turn 1 followed by random support)

Make sure your Team 1 has high Elem Def and your Team 2 has high Phys Def. Eat all your nuts beforehand (spend the Def nuts on the characters that are lacking compared to others). Remember that Physical Prowess and Elemental Edge also boost Def stats, so equipping them even on a non-damage dealer is not a bad choice. If anyone ever dies, just revive them with the 9999 hp item.

If Team 2 can get the Sidestep up quickly, you just need to focus on killing the magic using enemy, and then they're basically invincible the rest of the fight. Make sure everyone on Team 2 has at least 1 high Elem. Atk weapon equipped, once Tressa gets the Light Rune going, everyone can at least attack for 9999 if they have nothing better to do.

qbert fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 14, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, my setup was basically the inverse of that, so I will try that.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Whatever your weaker team is, put Alfyn on it so concoct can carry them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a list of boss steals to keep in mind? I know you want to steal from Prim's chapter 4 boss for some very nice physical and magic boosting accessories, but what about other bosses? Google isn't helping as all results are off Therion's path action.

At this point I'm completely chumping the chapter 4 bosses. Prim sorcerer is practically solo'ing bosses, with a warmaster H'aanti working wonders in making sure bosses will only get their post break attacks. Everything dies so fast.

E: Also people talking about H'aanti's capture and it is indeed butts. The leap between a 7 strength monster and an 8 strength monster is insane. I can never seem to get above 35% with a monster both at 1 hp and broken at 8 strength but can get 50% or more on an unbroken, yellow name 7 strength one.

Leal fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 15, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm pretty sure that items you steal are the same as the items that drop. Consult this spreadsheet, maybe.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Why are you having trouble getting a sorcerer to pass 9999?

I've got my Primrose firing for 80k damage per attack at level 60.

Mouko
Nov 27, 2004

Jagwah.
I'm keen to get this game but the physical copies seem to be totally sold out in the UK.

Can't remember it being so difficult to find a game.

I guess I could download it but I don't want to take up the space in my Switch's memory/SD.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mouko posted:

I'm keen to get this game but the physical copies seem to be totally sold out in the UK.

Can't remember it being so difficult to find a game.

I guess I could download it but I don't want to take up the space in my Switch's memory/SD.

Keep looking or order it online. I found it without too much trouble, but it was surprising that two major stores near my flat didn't have it. If you live in a major metropolitan area you're sure to find it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

had the unluckiest slog of a boss battle against Alfyn's chapter 2 boss. She's not that tough but I used Primrose's dance twice at different times, and both times ended with "monster appeared" to heal the boss for like 20k HP LOL.

Now that all the ch.2s are done and my characters are all about 30, is it a good time to seek out the 4 other subclasses?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

DLC Inc posted:

had the unluckiest slog of a boss battle against Alfyn's chapter 2 boss. She's not that tough but I used Primrose's dance twice at different times, and both times ended with "monster appeared" to heal the boss for like 20k HP LOL.

Now that all the ch.2s are done and my characters are all about 30, is it a good time to seek out the 4 other subclasses?

Seems a bit early, but with the right order, it MIGHT work. There is one which - if are lucky (like I was) - seems to be no problem the archmage, allthough others reported the fight to be much more difficult. Basically, two of the four are easy to cheese if you beat the other two before, and regarding the other two, one gets easier once you got the other one.....

Still, level 30 might be tricky...I did them at early 50s, and once I got the right order, it was okay (the first two) to super simple (the other two which you can cheat with the abilities you just gained)

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Even if you can cheese the 4 subclass fights, I would hold off anyway unless you want super easy mode for a while.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Natural 20 posted:

Why are you having trouble getting a sorcerer to pass 9999?

I've got my Primrose firing for 80k damage per attack at level 60.

It was just on the final boss. Maybe he has high Elem Def?

Also I was deliberately hitting the adds unbroken to make sure they all died together.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

qbert posted:

It was just on the final boss. Maybe he has high Elem Def?

Also I was deliberately hitting the adds unbroken to make sure they all died together.

Ah okay.

I just beat him myself and she blasted him for 150k in a round.

Getting to that point to open him up though, whew, that was not pretty.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Finished the game, the finale really should have been it's own set of story chapters but what we did get was still kinda cool. I legit didn't see the reveal of who Red-Eye is coming

Natural 20 posted:

Ah okay.

I just beat him myself and she blasted him for 150k in a round.

Getting to that point to open him up though, whew, that was not pretty.

The first part of that fight is either a nightmare or a joke depending on where your Warmaster is. Olberic made short of work of it by just annihilating everything with Winnehild's Battle Cry, since I had a big stockpile of pomegranates/jam

I had a rougher time with part 2 but H'aanit of all people saved the day by throwing out that boss i captured for 5x sword damage to all enemies, breaking a couple and buying time for Alfyn to blast one for 70k and kill it. After that it was just Cyrus and Tressa nuking the crap out of them.

e: at one point Cyrus booped the boss for 57k with light pursuit, Bishop's Staff does not gently caress around

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

if you're having trouble getting decent damage make sure everyone has physical prowess(for fighters) and elemental edge(for mages) and don't forget to debuff. Debuffs are insanely good and the defense one alone justifies keeping a Thief on both teams if you have physical fighters present.

also BP Eater is a ridiculously good skill, it works with offensive Divine Skills and turns Thieves into weapons of mass destruction

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
On the final fight my entire party died save Tressa.

There were 3 monster turns after her that she *might* have survived.

She procced patience.

Best girl procced patience on the turn it mattered the most in my entire run of the game. Revived Cyrus to 9999, survived the next set of attacks and I proceeded to get the entire party back up to continue the fight.

Tressa is the best. There is no question in my mind.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Now that's a bargain!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Primrose's Chapter 4 might be some of the worst games writing or justification for people's actions I've seen in a non-David Cage in years, Jesus Christ.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NieR Occomata posted:

Primrose's Chapter 4 might be some of the worst games writing or justification for people's actions I've seen in a non-David Cage in years, Jesus Christ.

I dunno, I kind of dug that there was nothing deep; dude was just an insane rear end in a top hat.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like the reason why I enjoy Octopath Traveler as much as I do and have is because the story such as it is is placed firmly in the background because, coming off of BD 1 and 2, I sort of forgot how bad those games' stories are and how even by JRPG standards nobody's character motivations made any real loving sense. But boy did the end of Primrose's story sort of bring me back down to earth.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Barudak posted:

I dunno, I kind of dug that there was nothing deep; dude was just an insane rear end in a top hat.

As soon as I saw that her chapter 4 was set in a theater I assumed/feared that Simeon's whole motivation was gonna be "Oh everything I did was part of the grand play that is your life!" even though that makes no logical sense if you think about it for even a split second. There's no coherency to his actions, the amount of mental yoga you have to go through to even come up with a way that anything he did makes any sense whatsoever (when and how did he come up with this plan? Since they were kids? Did...did he never take his scarf off for the literal years after her father was killed before she left? Did he know Primrose was going to be in the study and come up with this insane Machiavellian scheme besides?), and worst of all he doesn't have a motivation. He just does this insane decades-long plan just to do it or I guess show Primrose the emptiness of her life? The story also doesn't build Simeon as a central character at all since he's not even introduced into late into the second half of her story.

For all its faults Olberic's and Therion's stories at least set up a former-close-associate-turned-mortal-enemy well and justified their actions. Primrose's is literally "Oh it's uh, this guy we never mentioned until right before he turns evil in the first place. Why? Because, uh, plays I guess."

It's the same sort of (Bravely Default 1 and 2 spoilers)metanarrative twist-for-the-sake-of-twist GAME IS PLAYING YOUUUUUUUUUU stuff that BD 1 and 2 trade in entirely and just as illogical here, but at least with BD 1 and 2 you got cool stuff like "Airy Lies" and you being the literal god saving the world in Second. Without that weird metanarrative layer with the game trying to basically come up with a fun glorified gimmick plot point, it's just a bunch of incoherent nonsense.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

That's kind of the thing though. Sociopaths rarely if ever have an actual reason for doing the things they do. If you look into serial killers and other mass criminals throughout history it's often the same kind of story. "Why did you do it?" "Idk because it seemed like fun?"

I don't disagree that Primrose's story kinda falls flat and cliche by the end though. If the character in question had been written into the story a bit more from the start it would've felt less forced.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I suspect I know what's in the spoilered conversation even though I just finished Primrose's Chapter 3.

Oh hey, it's a new guy! Why are they introducing someone with a voice actor now? Must be the villain!

Fortunately the voice actor did a decent job of hamming it up so I'm not too off-put.

And I can keep rolling those Bewildering Grace dice while Prim is in my party.

Though Cyrus blows up all random encounters on turn one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NieR Occomata posted:

Thoughts on Primrose

Its not good, mind you, mainly because of the main point which is the character isn't discussed anywhere near enough for it to mean anything to the player and holy moly does the dialog drag with Primrose's internal monologue, but on a certain level having the villain be unabashedly "there is no purpose, this just amuses me and I've done it to other people too because who cares why" was neat when the story sets up that there was some reason the whole thing happened in the first place and that there must be something else going on. Nope, sheer random chance this rear end in a top hat decided to do it and was in the place to do it so your whole life got ruined for no gosh darn reason.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

(C4 Primrose) On top of that, the whole thing drags way too long. The chapter has a different structure than the other chapters in the game since you're doing plot while doing the dungeon, which would work as a nice change of pace if we didn't get scene after scene after scene of the guy being an overdramatic rear end to the point of being utterly obnoxious. And even if the guy having no good reason to ruin Primrose's life may be realistic, it doesn't really work for bad writing, and I feel really deflates whatever momentum her story had going through it in the first three chapters.

Then again, Primrose's stuff is kinda weird in general, between all the prostitution stuff and the fact that story Primrose and party banter Primrose feel like two different characters. I like the character, and the story had a good set-up despite being skeevy at times, but man does Chapter 4 go off the rails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Prim is really weird in the way they portray her. In the story she is grimdark revenge set, loathing every second of having to dance and more. In the banter, she is usually portrayed as a flirty, fun, caring woman with soft spot for romance. She also really likes dancing?

Story Prim: I will do what I must and dance until I find my lead
Banter Prim: hehe oh Cyrus let me teach you to dance it's wonderful!