Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AnonSpore posted:

In the movies he was pretty much just as weird before the experiments and megacancer as he was after

Eh, he went up to 11 after the experiment and started breaking the fourth wall. Wade's backstory is varied to say the least in the comics (ask 3 people and you'll get 4 different answers) but he was usually nuts to some degree even before the megacancer and healing factor combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Inzombiac posted:

It's not the helmet, it's the crazy crystal inside

Or maybe it's in his chest

or maybe literally in his brain

Also he's the step-brother of Professor X

One time he was a hero

Comics are dumb

And one time he banged She-Hulk. True story.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Nah, that was retconned to be a body double from another universe.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

This one's for Aretha and Matt. In The Blues Brothers, when they go to the soul food diner to recruit Matt Murphy and Blue Lou, Elwood signals his presence to Matt by ordering dry white toast. Earlier when he takes Jake to his rented room, he's cooking white toast on the heater and doesn't appear to have anything to spread on it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Nah, that was retconned to be a body double from another universe.

At this point, I'm pretty sure you can say that about literally every comic book character at some point in time.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Jedit posted:

This one's for Aretha and Matt. In The Blues Brothers, when they go to the soul food diner to recruit Matt Murphy and Blue Lou, Elwood signals his presence to Matt by ordering dry white toast. Earlier when he takes Jake to his rented room, he's cooking white toast on the heater and doesn't appear to have anything to spread on it.

Ray Charles' pawn shop has toaster ovens on display and Elwood puts some white bread in, which he happened to have on his person.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

I’d say Elwood Blues is meant to be a very dry person who never drinks anything, but then Bob from
Bob’s Country Bunker has a bar tab that says otherwise.

Also Elwood used the wrong glass for his champagne.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’d say Elwood Blues is meant to be a very dry person who never drinks anything, but then Bob from
Bob’s Country Bunker has a bar tab that says otherwise.

Elwood doesn't ever drink anything non-alcoholic. In his room I recall he had a bottle of something. But the soul food cafe doesn't serve alcohol, so he doesn't drink.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bitterandtwisted posted:

Ray Charles' pawn shop has toaster ovens on display and Elwood puts some white bread in, which he happened to have on his person.

Well obviously he had to make sure his toast would fit.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Elwood doesn't ever drink anything non-alcoholic. In his room I recall he had a bottle of something. But the soul food cafe doesn't serve alcohol, so he doesn't drink.

That’s odd for someone going to become a priest.*

*I think the scene where he quits his job at the spray can factory** and tells his boss he’s going to become a priest is on the extended cut.

**that’s also why he has several aerosol cans throughout the movie.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Yeah that's in the extended cut, which is a mixed bag. That scene isn't bad, like you say it explains where the cans came from, but it has Elwood without his sunglasses, which I think slightly spoils the scene where Jake takes off his glasses.

There's also an extended scene with John Lee Hooker that should never have been cut from the theatrical release, but most other bits I remember either add nothing or were bad.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
We could sure have some Illinois Nazi bashing in this day and age, that's for sure.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Eh, he went up to 11 after the experiment and started breaking the fourth wall. Wade's backstory is varied to say the least in the comics (ask 3 people and you'll get 4 different answers) but he was usually nuts to some degree even before the megacancer and healing factor combo.

The change is there, but it ramps up gradually and they really blurred it by introducing Deadpool narrating over his own past.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Worst extended cut for a classic 80’s comedy was the Stripes one. The extra scenes were cut out for a reason.

Something I never noticed before watching Blues Brothers again yesterday. Carrie Fisher’s salon is called Curl Up & Dye.

Also at the end they go through the cast and like everyone is dead except for Dan Ackroyd, Twiggy, and some of the back up band.

Aretha finally joined Matt “Guitar” Murphy at their diner in the sky.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Straight White Shark posted:

The change is there, but it ramps up gradually and they really blurred it by introducing Deadpool narrating over his own past.

I may have mentioned, but a fun subtle moment of sorts is looking at scenes where Deadpool is talking to people and realising how much of what he says is utter nonsense, open insults, or utter nonsense that they can probably figure out is meant to be an insult.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I may have mentioned, but a fun subtle moment of sorts is looking at scenes where Deadpool is talking to people and realising how much of what he says is utter nonsense, open insults, or utter nonsense that they can probably figure out is meant to be an insult.

I think they may have undersold it a bit. I'm glad that they don't have everyone going "WOW how WACKY!!" every time Deadpool says something that makes no sense in context but there's a tendency (especially in the first movie) to just have people not react at all, which removes the insanity layer and makes it look like it's just supposed to be a regular 4th wall gag.

Part of what makes Deadpool 2's chemistry work is that Domino and Cable are way better than most of the other actors at emoting responses to Deadpool's craziness, while still not making a big deal out of it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Something I never noticed before watching Blues Brothers again yesterday. Carrie Fisher’s salon is called Curl Up & Dye.
Aretha finally joined Matt “Guitar” Murphy at their diner in the sky.

poo poo I didn't realize Murphy died this year. That's too bad.

Curl Up & Dye is an actual salon chain. I'm not sure whether this makes it funnier or not.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Inzombiac posted:

It's not the helmet, it's the crazy crystal inside

Or maybe it's in his chest

or maybe literally in his brain

Also he's the step-brother of Professor X

One time he was a hero

Comics are dumb
I was in my twenties and had been reading X-Men comics for more than fifteen years before it occurred to me that Professor X's evil brother being name Cain was a thing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Cain and DisAbel.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I have it on good authority that he's not a mutant, his powers are magical!

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

I have it on good authority that he's not a mutant, his powers are magical!

Are YOU the juggernaut?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Nah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jVKgPe5rcE

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He's like Spider-Man. He's not a mutant, he's a mutate.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Mutaint Reaper

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Arcsquad12 posted:

poo poo I didn't realize Murphy died this year. That's too bad.

Curl Up & Dye is an actual salon chain. I'm not sure whether this makes it funnier or not.

Aretha Franklin died yesterday.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

NorgLyle posted:

I was in my twenties and had been reading X-Men comics for more than fifteen years before it occurred to me that Professor X's evil brother being name Cain was a thing.

It gets worse, he's Cain Marko or to put it another way: Marko, Cain. I'm pushing 40 and got that earlier this year when a character referenced in a comic.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Krispy Wafer posted:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

rantmo posted:

It gets worse, he's Cain Marko or to put it another way: Marko, Cain. I'm pushing 40 and got that earlier this year when a character referenced in a comic.

fuuuck

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was today years old when I discovered that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Aleph Null posted:

Aretha Franklin died yesterday.

I know Aretha died. I just missed the news about Matt Guitar Murphy. He died on my graduation this year, dammit.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Something I only realised after the movie ended was that Deadpool's Juggernaut was actually a pretty decent guy.

His first act on being broken out was to save Russell from Cable's bullet. Then he spends time with him and they go clothes shopping. Then he follows him on his quest for revenge for no other reason than he likes smashing stuff up and Russell is his friend. He never even kills anyone. Sure he fights DP and his posse, but from his perspective they're all trying to kill the kid who broke him out.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

jabby posted:

Something I only realised after the movie ended was that Deadpool's Juggernaut was actually a pretty decent guy.

His first act on being broken out was to save Russell from Cable's bullet. Then he spends time with him and they go clothes shopping. Then he follows him on his quest for revenge for no other reason than he likes smashing stuff up and Russell is his friend. He never even kills anyone. Sure he fights DP and his posse, but from his perspective they're all trying to kill the kid who broke him out.

I had an hour-long argument about this with my sister the other day, and I'm glad someone finally agrees with me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually kind of fitting with his usual comics characterisation, which kind of makes the Juggernaut extra scary; he simply doesn't care about anything in between him and his goal, and he's a perfectly rational and sane magically empowered human being otherwise... who simply enjoys utterly annihilating whatever pisses him off and exercising his immense power. (which suits his patron god of destruction Cyttorak nicely) He's unstoppable not just because he's invincible, incredibly strong, and doesn't need food, water, air or sleep, but he also can't be reasoned with or appealed to his better nature, he does what he does because he wants to. In a way, worse than the Hulk.

And it should say something that he respects the kid's attitude and they get along; the Juggernaut is the perfect role model for a furious mutant who wants brutal revenge on those who've tortured him for nothing more than being what he is- the mutant they fear and hate.

Though don't forget he does literally rip Deadpool in half and probably isn't aware (and likely doesn't care) that Deadpool can survive that.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There's a really lovely run of Uncanny X-Men that has the one bright spot of showing Juggernaut becoming something of a father figure of a mutant who is considered to be one of the lamer mutants (Beak, has the power of "looks like a bird"). Juggernaut goes hero for a while and becomes friendly with this kid who needs a mentor figure. And Juggernaut is good at it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It sounds like Juggarnaut is a flawed and complex character with conflicting emotions and motivations which makes him getting repeatedly electrocuted by a high voltage power line up his rear end that much funnier.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The best subtle gag in Deadpool 2 is the scrolling newsfeed that briefly displays "Christopher Plummer turns down Deadpool 2 role"

Meta-Jokes about fan's suggested meta-jokes? That's like 32 walls right there!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

jabby posted:

He probably killed quite a few people when he smashed that bridge.

That being said, I thought about that too. Once Russel held up his end of the bargain, Juggernaut really had no incentive to hold up his. Yet, he did.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Juggernaut was still a bit of a dick considering some of his insults against Colossus.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Especially funny given, I'm pretty sure most people know, but the Juggernaut is voiced and mocapped by Ryan Reynolds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think Jugg's body count is probably still lower than Domino's, though.