Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
muscular was the only villain with a coherent ideology. ig all for one as well but it was basically the same. it was entirely "i'm going to do whatever i want and its fair for you to do whatever you want, including trying to stop me, but theres no moral problem if you can't"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
Stain arc is trying to touch on the primordial problem with taking "superheroes" and turning them into a boring 9 to 5 occupation job, in that they're not superHEROES if they're not doing it for completely altruistic selfless lamb-to-the-slaughter reasons.

Which is a fine point to make, but in a manga about kids who just punch each other in the face and sometimes one person gets saved per arc, it feels like superfluous and vapid waxing philosophical to make it seem deeper than it actually is. But because Stain is also a crazy rear end bitch, it's okay for it to both make sense and be completely empty of meaning.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Shigaraki's fake ideology from USJ makes more sense than Stain's real one. Heroes aren't just cops, there are a large number who specialize in rescue and disaster relief. Which means that for Stain's ideology to be internally consistent, he'd also need to murder firemen and the coast guard.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

Shigaraki's fake ideology from USJ makes more sense than Stain's real one. Heroes aren't just cops, there are a large number who specialize in rescue and disaster relief. Which means that for Stain's ideology to be internally consistent, he'd also need to murder firemen and the coast guard.

firemen and coast guards dont have a ranking system that actually stems off popularity with an entire culture of consumerism around it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/athanatosora/status/1029064837966393344?s=21

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Does anyone know the origin of that comic? I see it around with different characters occasionally, but I can't find the original

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Phimose Knight posted:

Stain arc is trying to touch on the primordial problem with taking "superheroes" and turning them into a boring 9 to 5 occupation job, in that they're not superHEROES if they're not doing it for completely altruistic selfless lamb-to-the-slaughter reasons.

Which is a fine point to make, but in a manga about kids who just punch each other in the face and sometimes one person gets saved per arc, it feels like superfluous and vapid waxing philosophical to make it seem deeper than it actually is. But because Stain is also a crazy rear end bitch, it's okay for it to both make sense and be completely empty of meaning.

Uh, the very first chapter was all about a kid being oppressed because he didn't have superpowers, you can't say it hasn't been engaging with these themes from the beginning.

Chapter 2 had the "heroes" sitting around waiting for someone else to save Bakugou, too.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 17, 2018

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

thetoughestbean posted:

Does anyone know the origin of that comic? I see it around with different characters occasionally, but I can't find the original

I think this might have been the original?

https://nishikinico.tumblr.com/post/148764708572/ayedah-its-joke-let-ruby-say-gently caress

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

drjuggalo posted:

firemen and coast guards dont have a ranking system that actually stems off popularity with an entire culture of consumerism around it

I see you are not familiar with shirtless fireman calendars.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

drjuggalo posted:

IIRC Stain had a problem with heroes even being compensated. I believe he gave All Might a pass because Stain is an inconsistent lunatic.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shere posted:

IIRC Stain had a problem with heroes even being compensated. I believe he gave All Might a pass because Stain is an inconsistent lunatic.

All Might got a pass because he actually reduced crime by being the Symbol of Peace. Other heroes only address the symptoms without actually doing anything to reduce the frequency of these symptoms or the causes of these symptoms, while also drawing consistent paychecks and celebration for doing so.

I think Stain would have approved of Hawks alongside All Might, as Hawks' goal is to create a society where heroes are unnecessary.

Obviously Stain is a psychopathic bloodgargler but I don't think it's useful to scoff at his ideology given that it's clearly meant by the author to be an actual criticism of how in-universe Japanese society has organized around its heroes and how these heroes function in society.

One thing I want to draw attention to is the repeated emphasis on "hero", in a manga that's deeply based on Western superhero books, with one (1) actual Superhero in the story

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Well, yes. The thesis statement of the series is "what is a hero?" and we've been running through all of the questions that arise in asking that. Stain's meant to be another antagonistic viewpoint, his main criticism in particular is with motivations. The kids of 1-A run through a list of "what motivates you?" well before the Stain arc and we come away with a few different answers. Uraraka wants to make money, Mineta wants the popularity, Bakugo wants to prove he's the strongest, and Deku (noted most prominently in his clash with Todoroki) just wants to become a hero (he's picking up more reasons as the series goes on though).

The "argument" Stain tries to make is that the motive makes the hero. Someone who is doing hero work as a 9-5 job (or for some other judged "selfish" reason like fame or revenge) isn't as heroic as someone doing it only in the name of altruism and self sacrifice for the greater good. This falls apart under even minor scrutiny because even if it's true, there's no version of events in which society as a whole is better because Ingenium is out of commission permanently. Couple with that the poo poo we're seeing the kids of 1-A going through to even get a provisional license and it's pretty obvious that the system itself weeds out those who can't tough it out and contribute.

The other reason Stain's ideals fall is simply that out of every hero we've seen, All Might definitely had the most expansive media presence and merchandising. When do you get a pass on that? Do you have to decline the money resulting from your hero work to be a real hero? Or is it because those things contribute to being the symbol of peace, that makes it okay?

Stain presents an interesting hypothetical question but ultimately doesn't break the system, he just bends it a bit. The lingering doubt Stain leaves in his wake is key though, because the most important conflict in the series is the tug of war between trust in heroes and doubt in the system.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 17, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

All Might got a pass because he actually reduced crime by being the Symbol of Peace. Other heroes only address the symptoms without actually doing anything to reduce the frequency of these symptoms or the causes of these symptoms, while also drawing consistent paychecks and celebration for doing so.

That isn't true though what All Might did was a temporary fix that could only last as long as there was someone with a mixture of almost supernatural charisma and strength being willing to sacrifice themselves again and again to keep society safe.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The real power of Stain's ideology is that it's just vague and wobbly enough that villains (and SA posters) can make it fit whatever they want to think he meant.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
It's like Metal Gear Solid all over again. God drat Boss.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

That isn't true though what All Might did was a temporary fix that could only last as long as there was someone with a mixture of almost supernatural charisma and strength being willing to sacrifice themselves again and again to keep society safe.

Might as well say that nobody accomplishes anything because entropy means that, in the end, everything dies.

All Might took a country ruled by the underworld, and turned it around so far that people can see an atomic monster attack on TV and they'd reasonably assume everything would be all right.

He did real good. The fact that other people are going to have to take up the torch doesn't change that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shere posted:

The other reason Stain's ideals fall is simply that out of every hero we've seen, All Might definitely had the most expansive media presence and merchandising. When do you get a pass on that? Do you have to decline the money resulting from your hero work to be a real hero? Or is it because those things contribute to being the symbol of peace, that makes it okay?

Well in All Might's case, he does actually donates most of his income to various charities and other things to help people, and actually has a very humble home and hero office. The fact that All Might gives almost all of his money away probably makes Stain pretty sure he is not doing the Hero thing for compensation.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Sorry, gonna have to see All Might's tax statements before I can safely say he's a true hero.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

He would only have to do that if he murdered cops for not being heroes. Which he doesn't.

Stain's ideology is really not as complex as people seem to be making it here.

Heroes save people to save people.

Anyone who saves people for any reason other than saving people isn't a hero.

Anyone who isn't a hero but says they're a hero is a fake hero.

There are too many fake heroes

He kills fake heroes so that there will be more real heroes.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

The fact that other people are going to have to take up the torch doesn't change that.

Great. So someone else must step up and be willing to sacrifice themselves again and again for everybody else, and when they are left as little better then a corpse then someone else has to take that mantle and carry on along the same bloody path.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
Unfortunately we never get the scene to bring it full circle, where Stain's ideology is corrupted to the point where a facsimile of him is used as a mascot to sell detergent and laundry products.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Phimose Knight posted:

Unfortunately we never get the scene to bring it full circle, where Stain's ideology is corrupted to the point where a facsimile of him is used as a mascot to sell detergent and laundry products.

That's because detergent already has WASH. It needs no other mascot.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

That's because detergent already has WASH. It needs no other mascot.

Stain is the monster that Wash defeats. Like those gross mucus people in those Mucinex commercials.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Pretty sure after some point you don't have to work so hard. All Might had to GO BEYOND PLUS ULTRA because he was basically starting from 0. Deku will not have to work nearly as hard lol. His successor will probably be living Hawks' dream.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Phimose Knight posted:

Wasn't there a brief scene where it showed kids buying Stain masks at the mall 1-A goes to or am I imagining that? Or was it an anime-only blip?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

symbolic posted:

Wasn't there a brief scene where it showed kids buying Stain masks at the mall 1-A goes to or am I imagining that? Or was it an anime-only blip?

I remember something like that too fwiw

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

symbolic posted:

think that was anime only?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

All Might's merchandising is pretty clearly for spreading the idea of the Symbol of Peace.

Imagine being some small-rate Villain and everywhere you look you see All Might hoodies and posters, every other person reminding you of that insurmountable wall that you'll crash into if you try to do villainy.

It'd certainly be discouraging.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wonder who gets the license to make Stain masks.

I guess Stain doesn't really hold the copyright, and you do have like, these knockoff costumes in real life that you can find on Halloween. The mask is literally just a strip of cloth with two eye holes so I guess there's no one who can properly trademark them.

Until someone decides to make The Stain Movie in-universe.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I bet nighteye told all might to do some merch deals so he could collect all might toys

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Hate-Senpai posted:

I guess Stain doesn't really hold the copyright, and you do have like, these knockoff costumes in real life that you can find on Halloween. The mask is literally just a strip of cloth with two eye holes so I guess there's no one who can properly trademark them.

Spinner

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

For people bringing up the idea that the 'Symbol of Peace' is an inherently flawed system, remember that 99.9% of society does not know that. Stain sure didn't, and while he's hypocritical in a lot of other ways I wouldn't go so far as to use information someone doesn't have to indicate that someone is being a hypocrite.

It's not like there were a bunch of other Symbols of Peace for people to get data from - it was All Might.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Vengarr posted:

Uh, the very first chapter was all about a kid being oppressed because he didn't have superpowers, you can't say it hasn't been engaging with these themes from the beginning.

Chapter 2 had the "heroes" sitting around waiting for someone else to save Bakugou, too.

i mean they had no way of knowing if their interference would kill bakugou. Deku's habit of jumping in no matter what is commendable but not really all that smart or safe.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Hate-Senpai posted:

what is he gonna do, sue em?

that would make an amazing villain though, he doesn't commit crimes or anything he just sues people for copyright infringement

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/my-hero-academia/en/0/194/page/1

More about One For All, at the start and then Shinsou returns! He's totally gonna be joining the Hero course soon-ish now.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 17, 2018

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Bakugo biting Dekus speech bubble when he compliments him.... :allears:

Also, I am unreasonably hyped about finally getting a full showcase of class B quirks and personalities. This will be a fun mini-arc.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lt. Lizard posted:

Bakugo biting Dekus speech bubble when he compliments him.... :allears:

Also, I am unreasonably hyped about finally getting a full showcase of class B quirks and personalities. This will be a fun mini-arc.

Yeah, that spread of Class B was so great. I love Momona or whatever his name is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I hope Shinsou joins Class B..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hate-Senpai posted:

Yeah, that spread of Class B was so great. I love Momona or whatever his name is.

it's monoma and he's great