Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

powderific posted:

Just because the mount is wider doesn't mean you can't put an APS-C sensor behind it, but I do think that Nikon is going to be going straight up full frame on the new mount, at least for now. Since this is the first new mount they've made in a million years they're trying to make it as adaptable as possible I'd think.

Yeah like, why wouldnt you be able to? Crop lenses can just focus the light down to an apsc sized area. Just like ef and efs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Well its going to hard to make $400 entry level compact body with a large mount. Sony's Nex3 already got a metal mount that's taller than the body itself. Maybe Nikon got trauma from the Nikon 1 experience.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
With the restructuring / new strategy Nikon is specifically putting their focus on higher end stuff rather than the continuing to shrink entry level. I don't think they honestly have the resources to build out a reasonable amount of glass for both APS-C and full frame sensors, so it makes sense for them to prioritize full frame.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Everyone in the land of mirrorless has a hard-on for IBIS, and a tight mount works against that.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The new Nikon mount is the same width as the Fuji GFX, so it's allowing them to develop medium format in the future.

In the meantime, it allows f0.95 lenses, one of which will launch with the camera.

And as Powderific alluded to, Nikon's cutting off almost all entry level stuff and focusing heavily on the Pro market. Their latest financials show this. Revenue is down, and profits are way up.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

Pablo Bluth posted:

Everyone in the land of mirrorless has a hard-on for IBIS, and a tight mount works against that.

FWIW lens-based VR is nice from a backwards compatibility standpoint, since I can shoot film on an F5 body with stabilization.

I suppose IBIS is more desirable if you're rocking the latest body.

Edit: I'd be very surprised if Nikon's initial Z-mount body had any sort of IBIS, given that it isn't a feature of their F-mount or CX-mount mirrorless cameras.

Father O'Blivion fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 11, 2018

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I am pretty excited for the new Nikon and feeling optimistic it's gonna be cool. Please do not let me down Nikon.

Also, for all you Fuji lovers (of which I am one), I'm selling some crisp clean Fuji gear in SAmart (X-E3, 35mmF2, 16-55, etc.) :).

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Pablo Bluth posted:

How hard does it make it? The Sony E-Mount has one of the shallowest flange focal distances (18mm) and the a6500 has IBIS.

The only major ones that was shallower was the Nikon 1 mount (17mm) and Fuji X-Mount (17.7mm).

I'm asking because I really don't know much about it, but with Sony having it I'm a bit surprised to hear that it's hard to do.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Got a Peak Design Slide Lite for my X-E2s annnnnnnd the battery door is too close to the tripod mount to use the bottom plate, which is a bummer as using that as a mount point makes the camera point down instead of straight out. Any ideas for a way to move it?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Not not nothing but I'd far rather a camera hang pens facing down than out away from my hip where it can bang into stuff

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Everyone knows that Fuji were, ah, inspired by the Leica M series cameras in their design for the X-Pro1&2, but what was the basis for the X-T1&2?

I think it's the Contax RTS III:

It seems pretty obvious, and I bet if you've seen one before you've probably figured it out already. I've browsed a lot of wikis and film camera blogs and have yet to come across any other camera that shares as many body design cues with the X-T as the RTS III. Except maybe the very similar Contax ST.

One Fuji designer has claimed that they modeled the X-T1 on the Fujica ST901:

To me, it looks more like an ancestor of the X-T10&20:

Of course Fuji can also call back to its own product line for plausible in-house predecessors for the the X-Pro, but in that case only the older medium-format rangefinders bear much of a resmblance:

A couple of cues that the X-Pro takes from the GW690 III are the sloping top plate on the right-hand side, and the grip. Otherwise it's pretty close to the newer 35mm Leica M's:

I started out looking around to make sure that the RTS III really was the closest ancestor of the X-T1. I confirmed that for myself, but ended up finding more similarities between the X-Pro and the GW690 III than I had expected. Interesting.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Aredna posted:

How hard does it make it? The Sony E-Mount has one of the shallowest flange focal distances (18mm) and the a6500 has IBIS.

The only major ones that was shallower was the Nikon 1 mount (17mm) and Fuji X-Mount (17.7mm).

I'm asking because I really don't know much about it, but with Sony having it I'm a bit surprised to hear that it's hard to do.
The discussion here is mount diameter not flange distance. A smaller mount throat can limit the image circle size which means you have less area for the ibis to track around in. F mount is 44mm. Sony manage ibis at 46mm but I suspect giving themselves a bit more headroom was a factor.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

After using anything from the x100 series it's hard to go back to bodies without shutter and aperture wheels, I end up just never using M mode as it's so fiddly. (having zoom is nice though)

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
How are people feeling about the Fujifilm XF10? If it’s good it could be a new Ricoh GR, even if it needs a silly lens cap. From what I can gather when I’m reading about it, most seem strangely pessimistic and I can’t really understand why.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Xabi posted:

How are people feeling about the Fujifilm XF10? If it’s good it could be a new Ricoh GR, even if it needs a silly lens cap. From what I can gather when I’m reading about it, most seem strangely pessimistic and I can’t really understand why.

I think it's more people are really disappointed it's not an X70 replacement than the XF10 being a bad camera per se. It's an interesting concept but not targeted at enthusiasts, which seems odd at first but I think they're trying to grow their market. I think Sony has a better "first good camera" for people coming from phones with the RX100 series but $500 gets you a mark II, maybe a III used. The $499 new price point on the XF10 is I think one of the most important things about it.

After several months with my X100F the idea of a pocketable camera with the same controls and wider lens makes me excited. I'd really want it to have a viewfinder, though.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Hello mirrorless thread! This might get long so I apologize in advance.

I recently took a trip to Europe that made me excited about photography again so I'm looking to upgrade my current kit. I originally was going to switch back to Canon because I was offered access to employee discounts, but it turns out their discounts for their FF stuff isn't large enough for me to justify the leap. Since I'm no longer tied to Canon only I'm exploring my options, I currently shoot Fuji and I generally love the results, I have a few small gripes that I'd like to fix as I start shooting again more frequently.

Current Gear (with gripes):
- Fuji XT-10 Body (AF can be a little wonky and adjusting AF points is annoying, would love better low light but it does okay there)
- Fuji 35mm F1.4 (AF can be a little slow but that might be the body)
- Fuji 18-55 F2.8-4 (I wish it had a constant aperture, everything else having a physical indicator but this lens feels weird, I'd also like a wider aperture on the long end for portraits)

I've toyed with the idea of going over to Sony for an A7ii or iii, but the lenses are extremely expensive on top of the bodies (at least for the iii) costing way more than I could grab an XPro-2 or XT-2 for, so I'm leaning towards staying with Fuji. I'm basically debating between the Pro-2, XT-2 or potentially waiting on the XT-3 (rumored to be announced next month), I thought about going with an X100F, but ultimately think limiting my focal range would end up being annoying in the long run. Additionally, not sure what to do lens wise, the 18-55 on my trip made me think having a zoom was super useful for carrying just one lens around, but there's something magical about Fujis with primes. I don't shoot anything specific, but it'll be used as a carry around camera, for friends/family (children in the not too distant future) and I used to shoot cars a lot and want to get back into it.

Curious about people's experiences with going prime only and any ideas on what you guys would get to upgrade what I'm working with. My current gear is worth around $1,100 or so based on Amazon listings and I'm willing to throw another $1,000-1,500 into things, so $2,500 total in kit value is around what I'm looking at.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm a little nervous about going 35mm equivalent only for travel with my X100F, more for wide stuff or shots in tight places than zoom but I bought the thing to challenge myself. I've been seriously considering bringing my RX100 as well but 2 cameras seems pretty grognard even though the RX100 is smaller and lighter than most lenses.

At this point I'm planning to roll with what I've got until there's an X-Pro3 or maybe X-E4 then make the jump to ILC.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Ouhei posted:

Hello mirrorless thread! This might get long so I apologize in advance.

I recently took a trip to Europe that made me excited about photography again so I'm looking to upgrade my current kit. I originally was going to switch back to Canon because I was offered access to employee discounts, but it turns out their discounts for their FF stuff isn't large enough for me to justify the leap. Since I'm no longer tied to Canon only I'm exploring my options, I currently shoot Fuji and I generally love the results, I have a few small gripes that I'd like to fix as I start shooting again more frequently.

Current Gear (with gripes):
- Fuji XT-10 Body (AF can be a little wonky and adjusting AF points is annoying, would love better low light but it does okay there)
- Fuji 35mm F1.4 (AF can be a little slow but that might be the body)
- Fuji 18-55 F2.8-4 (I wish it had a constant aperture, everything else having a physical indicator but this lens feels weird, I'd also like a wider aperture on the long end for portraits)

I've toyed with the idea of going over to Sony for an A7ii or iii, but the lenses are extremely expensive on top of the bodies (at least for the iii) costing way more than I could grab an XPro-2 or XT-2 for, so I'm leaning towards staying with Fuji. I'm basically debating between the Pro-2, XT-2 or potentially waiting on the XT-3 (rumored to be announced next month), I thought about going with an X100F, but ultimately think limiting my focal range would end up being annoying in the long run. Additionally, not sure what to do lens wise, the 18-55 on my trip made me think having a zoom was super useful for carrying just one lens around, but there's something magical about Fujis with primes. I don't shoot anything specific, but it'll be used as a carry around camera, for friends/family (children in the not too distant future) and I used to shoot cars a lot and want to get back into it.

Curious about people's experiences with going prime only and any ideas on what you guys would get to upgrade what I'm working with. My current gear is worth around $1,100 or so based on Amazon listings and I'm willing to throw another $1,000-1,500 into things, so $2,500 total in kit value is around what I'm looking at.

I have been mostly a prime only photographer for many years, it's very doable. If I were you I'd sell the 18-55mm and XT-10, then get a used XT-2, 10-24mm f/4 and a 50mm f/2. (substitute Xpro2 if you prefer RF style or if you find one cheaper). OR an XT-2 56mm f/1.2 and either a 14 or 16mm lens for the wide end.

Honestly the best way to decide is to look at your lightroom catalog sorted by focal length and see your most common FOVs.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Re: XT10/35mm/18-55mm upgrade

Yeah I would upgrade the body first to get the most improvement; then get a fast prime next to help you decide which of the older lens you want to let go.

I personally sold my 35mm/1.4 and kept the 18-55mm. I still use it a lot whenever I want to snap the baby or go to a member gathering. But whenever I went out to enjoy shooting, I found myself taking the 16mm most the time over the 35mm/1.4.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

8th-snype posted:

I have been mostly a prime only photographer for many years, it's very doable. If I were you I'd sell the 18-55mm and XT-10, then get a used XT-2, 10-24mm f/4 and a 50mm f/2. (substitute Xpro2 if you prefer RF style or if you find one cheaper). OR an XT-2 56mm f/1.2 and either a 14 or 16mm lens for the wide end.

Honestly the best way to decide is to look at your lightroom catalog sorted by focal length and see your most common FOVs.
I'll sort my LR catalog tonight, great idea. I like the idea of the 10-24 and 50mm, gives me something really wide, then my 35 covers normal and the 50 would do portrait duty.

With the current firmware is there much of a difference in the pro2 and t2? I know at some point the t2 had slightly faster AF, but I don't know if the pro2 caught up with an update.

tino posted:

Re: XT10/35mm/18-55mm upgrade

Yeah I would upgrade the body first to get the most improvement; then get a fast prime next to help you decide which of the older lens you want to let go.

I personally sold my 35mm/1.4 and kept the 18-55mm. I still use it a lot whenever I want to snap the baby or go to a member gathering. But whenever I went out to enjoy shooting, I found myself taking the 16mm most the time over the 35mm/1.4.

I think that's what I'll do (body upgrade), just gotta pick one first. I do love the 18-55 for what it is, but there's something about the shots out of the 35mm that make me just never want to give up that lens.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

qirex posted:

I'm a little nervous about going 35mm equivalent only for travel with my X100F, more for wide stuff or shots in tight places than zoom but I bought the thing to challenge myself. I've been seriously considering bringing my RX100 as well but 2 cameras seems pretty grognard even though the RX100 is smaller and lighter than most lenses.

At this point I'm planning to roll with what I've got until there's an X-Pro3 or maybe X-E4 then make the jump to ILC.

Occasionally it's annoying but the small size and low weight make up for it several times over.

Imo the main thing they could do to improve it would be making it even smaller and lighter with the same lens (or IBIS but I doubt thats possible)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Ouhei posted:

With the current firmware is there much of a difference in the pro2 and t2? I know at some point the t2 had slightly faster AF, but I don't know if the pro2 caught up with an update.

The AF speed is now the same. I own an Xpro2 and an XT-2. The main differences are the EVF and form factor (and video but you didn't mention that). The XT-2 has a much better EVF (not that the Xpro2's is bad) and the SLR style body is more comfortable if you plan to use long lenses, even the 55-200mm is awkward on the RF bodies. Oh and the XT has a tilty screen. The Xpro2 has the OVF and far more comfortable controls when using prime lenses imo. You should try both and see what you like.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Ouhei posted:

I'll sort my LR catalog tonight, great idea. I like the idea of the 10-24 and 50mm, gives me something really wide, then my 35 covers normal and the 50 would do portrait duty.

I think that's what I'll do (body upgrade), just gotta pick one first. I do love the 18-55 for what it is, but there's something about the shots out of the 35mm that make me just never want to give up that lens.

I’ve got a 10-24 up for sale if interested!

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

8th-snype posted:

The AF speed is now the same. I own an Xpro2 and an XT-2. The main differences are the EVF and form factor (and video but you didn't mention that). The XT-2 has a much better EVF (not that the Xpro2's is bad) and the SLR style body is more comfortable if you plan to use long lenses, even the 55-200mm is awkward on the RF bodies. Oh and the XT has a tilty screen. The Xpro2 has the OVF and far more comfortable controls when using prime lenses imo. You should try both and see what you like.

Sweet, I agree on the form factors, the XPro-2 feels like it should almost only paired with primes while the XT-2 can work with either. From a pure aesthetics stand point the Pro-2 is about as pretty as a camera can get, but the flexibility and extra few features on the XT-2 might be nice too. I don't really care a ton about video, it's nice to have, but it's going to be stills for the most part.

holocaust bloopers posted:

I’ve got a 10-24 up for sale if interested!

I'll take a look and let you know if I figure out what I'm doing!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
For what its worth, the 35mm 1.4 usually sell for around 400 on ebay and the XF 18-55mm for around 300. That is almost enough for the 16-55 2.8, which I've seen in the 800ish range a lot. By all accounts its an excellent lens, earning the "bag of primes" talk from some of the reviews I have seen.

On the other hand, I've got an earlier model fuji body too (X-E2s, the most current of the old 16mp sensors) and am planing on jumping on a used X-T2 in a few months when everyone moves up for the X-T3 (although this 1100 dollar sale price is tempting).

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

The XT-2 is currently on sale (along with most of Fuji's stuff) for 1k USD.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

TastyLemonDrops posted:

The XT-2 is currently on sale (along with most of Fuji's stuff) for 1k USD.
That sale price plus the imminent September announcement of the X-T3 shooooouuld really hit hard the used price of the X-T2. People on ebay are still trying to get 900-1k despite the new price only being a hundred more.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

8th-snype posted:

Yeah I second this, look at your LR catalog to see your most commonly used (and maybe 2nd most commonly used) focal length, and get a fast prime for it. It also depends on what you want to shoot - I only shoot seriously with primes (even on vacation) but now I take my vacation shots with a phone nowadays, their quality is so good.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I'm a Fuji user and love it but if someone is thinking about hopping into a completely new system I'm not seeing a big price difference between the Fuji and Sony lens lineup. Looking at B&H..

Fuji 56/1.2 is about $900; Sony 85/1.8 is $550.
Fuji 18/2 is $600; Sony 28/2 is $400
Fuji 35/1.4 is $600; Sony 55/1.8 is $900
Fuji 16-55/2.8 is $1200; Sony 24-70/4 is $800
Fuji 80/2.8 Macro is $1200; Sony 90/2.8 Macro is $1000

There are a lot of roughly equivalent Sony optics that are priced similarly to Fuji's. I think it's fair to compare the 16-55/2.8 to the 24-70/4 since the DoF is equivalent and the FF BSI sensor on the A7iii probably has about as much high-ISO noise at 1600 as Fuji does at 800...with the caveat that Fuji high-ISO output has better control of chroma noise than most APS-C cameras. Not sure if it can out-spec the A7iii though.

All that said, Fuji does have much more lower-priced telephoto zooms. Like, 40 or 50% lower. And the AF on the new series of bodies shows a big improvement over the predecessor. Plus any new Fuji that has the focus point selection nub makes fast shooting and focus acquisition much more enjoyable.

If sticking with Fuji but committing to a full upgrade of camera body and lenses, the current sale on X-T2's is pretty hard to pass up. But if you aren't getting the X-T2 for $1000 or less you might consider picking up a used X-E3 for $800 and putting the savings into lenses. It should have the same AF upgrades as all the new Fuji bodies.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

cheese posted:

People on ebay are still trying to get 900-1k despite the new price only being a hundred more.

You looking at completed auctions, or just existing ones? People ask all kinds of whack prices hoping to get lucky with someone who hasn't done their homework or needs it in a hurry, averaging the last month or two's completed auction prices gives a much better idea of market price.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I'm a Fuji user and love it but if someone is thinking about hopping into a completely new system I'm not seeing a big price difference between the Fuji and Sony lens lineup. Looking at B&H..

There are a lot of roughly equivalent Sony optics that are priced similarly to Fuji's. I think it's fair to compare the 16-55/2.8 to the 24-70/4 since the DoF is equivalent and the FF BSI sensor on the A7iii probably has about as much high-ISO noise at 1600 as Fuji does at 800...with the caveat that Fuji high-ISO output has better control of chroma noise than most APS-C cameras. Not sure if it can out-spec the A7iii though.

All that said, Fuji does have much more lower-priced telephoto zooms. Like, 40 or 50% lower. And the AF on the new series of bodies shows a big improvement over the predecessor. Plus any new Fuji that has the focus point selection nub makes fast shooting and focus acquisition much more enjoyable.

If sticking with Fuji but committing to a full upgrade of camera body and lenses, the current sale on X-T2's is pretty hard to pass up. But if you aren't getting the X-T2 for $1000 or less you might consider picking up a used X-E3 for $800 and putting the savings into lenses. It should have the same AF upgrades as all the new Fuji bodies.

That is interesting food for thought - I currently shoot Sony and was considering jumping ship to Fuji, in part because Sony's higher end gear is so out of reach for my budget. I get your point about using the slower Sony equivalent to compare given the larger sensor, though as a 24-70 f/4 owner I have a feeling the Fuji 16-55 is a much less optically compromised lens. Don't get me wrong, I like mine for what it is and I probably use it the most, but I'll never love it.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

cheese posted:

For what its worth, the 35mm 1.4 usually sell for around 400 on ebay and the XF 18-55mm for around 300. That is almost enough for the 16-55 2.8, which I've seen in the 800ish range a lot. By all accounts its an excellent lens, earning the "bag of primes" talk from some of the reviews I have seen.

On the other hand, I've got an earlier model fuji body too (X-E2s, the most current of the old 16mp sensors) and am planing on jumping on a used X-T2 in a few months when everyone moves up for the X-T3 (although this 1100 dollar sale price is tempting).

Yeah, one option I considered was selling off most of my gear and doing the XT-2 + 16-55. The biggest problem with that is that gets pretty hefty in size and starts to lose some of the appeal of the system.

alkanphel posted:

Yeah I second this, look at your LR catalog to see your most commonly used (and maybe 2nd most commonly used) focal length, and get a fast prime for it. It also depends on what you want to shoot - I only shoot seriously with primes (even on vacation) but now I take my vacation shots with a phone nowadays, their quality is so good.

I looked last night and my most used are 18, 55, then 35. It's a little skewed since I only used the 18-55 while in Europe, but does lend some weight to the idea of doing the option above.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The price of the Sony body is double the price of the Fuji and Fuji has some cheaper options that are still amazing lenses (the F2 WR prime series) that make the system on a whole much cheaper.

With the XT2 bodies at $1k new and XPro2 bodies around $1k for a good used copy I basically just need to pick which style body I want, which sort of depends on if I want to go mostly prime or mostly zoom.

XPro2 + 10-24 + 35 1.4 + 50 2.0 = ~$1,500 out of pocket
XT2 + 16-55 2.8 + 35 1.4 = ~$1,400 out of pocket

XPro2 option is mostly prime based, I could potentially swap the 10-24 out for the 14mm or 16mm and go full prime, certainyl the pretty option and keeps the package smaller/lighter assuming I'm not carrying all my lenses all the time. XT2 option lets me stay flexible like my kit now, but improved optically and gives me a constant aperture, downside being the size and weight of it all (though keeping the 35 gives me a smaller kit when I really need it).

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Ouhei posted:

Yeah, one option I considered was selling off most of my gear and doing the XT-2 + 16-55. The biggest problem with that is that gets pretty hefty in size and starts to lose some of the appeal of the system.

Have you considered swapping the XT10 for a XT1? It's not alot of money for much bigger EVF and probably faster AF.

16-55 is a 2.8 pro lens, it's a good investment whenever you want to buy it.

You can spend the extra money on another fast prime.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

tino posted:

Have you considered swapping the XT10 for a XT1? It's not alot of money for much bigger EVF and probably faster AF.

16-55 is a 2.8 pro lens, it's a good investment whenever you want to buy it.

You can spend the extra money on another fast prime.

I really want the higher number of AF points and the joystick for point switching. One of my biggest gripes with the XT10 is the limitations on the AF and I think the stuff on the XT2 or XPro2 would alleviate them.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Besides the obvious lack of the awesome directional nub, what limitations are you running into? Speed, accuracy, tracking performance?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Besides the obvious lack of the awesome directional nub, what limitations are you running into? Speed, accuracy, tracking performance?

Mostly accuracy and speed, I haven't tried using the tracking modes too much to complain about that. I don't mean to imply it's awful on the XT10, but the systems on the XT2 and XPro2 seem much improved.

I'm waffling between the two bodies as I've always loved the look of the Pro series and as a right eye shooter it would be nice to not smush my nose into the LCD all the time, OVF could be cool but I do dig how the EVF shows me exactly what my shot is going to be. XT2 has the better EVF and the flippy screen is useful on occasion.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Fuji shooters, the Rokinon 12mm f2 is going for $274. It’s an awesome lens not just because it’s cheap, it’s genuinely good and the best choice for astrophotography

https://www.amazon.com/Rokinon-Ultra-Digital-Cameras-RK12M-FX/dp/B00JD4TA9G

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Ouhei posted:

Mostly accuracy and speed, I haven't tried using the tracking modes too much to complain about that. I don't mean to imply it's awful on the XT10, but the systems on the XT2 and XPro2 seem much improved.

I'm waffling between the two bodies as I've always loved the look of the Pro series and as a right eye shooter it would be nice to not smush my nose into the LCD all the time, OVF could be cool but I do dig how the EVF shows me exactly what my shot is going to be. XT2 has the better EVF and the flippy screen is useful on occasion.

The XT-2 EVF is better but the Xpro-2s is very good. I only notice because I shoot weddings with both cameras and switch back and forth all day. You should also know the XT-2 is pickier about what you run in it. The Xpro2 doesn't care what SD card or nonOEM battery you use ever, the XT-2 can get a little hot unless you use 126S batteries. I've only ever had trouble when shooting burst mode on hot days. Not lockups or anything just slow image review.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Animal posted:

Fuji shooters, the Rokinon 12mm f2 is going for $274. It’s an awesome lens not just because it’s cheap, it’s genuinely good and the best choice for astrophotography

this is what I use (but E mount) and it rules

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I'm a Fuji user and love it but if someone is thinking about hopping into a completely new system I'm not seeing a big price difference between the Fuji and Sony lens lineup.
The bodies difference was a big thing for me. I was able to grab a like new X-E2s body for ~350 (and they are even cheaper now, saw a body go for 295 on ebay a few weeks ago) - a camera that was released in 2016 with a great sensor. I don't think A7's, which came out in 2013, are that cheap and Sony doesn't seem to give two fucks about firmware updates to older bodies.

I think if you are planing on investing in a camera system where you see yourself spending 5k+ over a few years, Sony might be the better choice but you can certainly get started with a quality body/lenses for quite a bit cheaper with Fuji. I keep saying "Well the Sony E mount has more room to grow with the A9 and A7R series" but I'm just kidding myself - never going to have that kind of money for a camera hobby.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

You looking at completed auctions, or just existing ones? People ask all kinds of whack prices hoping to get lucky with someone who hasn't done their homework or needs it in a hurry, averaging the last month or two's completed auction prices gives a much better idea of market price.
Fair point, a lot of those are hopefully auction prices with no bidders. May take a while for X-T2 bodies to really take the hit.

Animal posted:

This is a drat good lens and I enjoyed mine before it was stolen. This video has a pretty good comparison of the 12mm samyang vs the really well loved (and much more expensive) 16mm 1.4 and I thought the 12mm did quite well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Consider the Laowa 9mm, too. I have the Rokinon 12mm and the Laowa, and i never have the rokinon on anymore. I do like both.