Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, that was a big thing, plus Ashoka and Sabine would make a cute couple, that could kick everyones rear end.

Looks like Filoni isn't going to be show running Resistance. That makes sense that he'd want to focus on the Clone Wars stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Gaz-L posted:

Huh? The Ghost isn't a disc though? It's more a hexagonal box.

It’s a boxy falcon. Pretty sure it’s at the very least another Correlian freighter but don’t feel like checking wookieepedia.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

i love the ghost design but its still falcony.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, that was a big thing, plus Ashoka and Sabine would make a cute couple, that could kick everyones rear end.

There's... some troubling age difference there.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Madurai posted:

There's... some troubling age difference there.

In the hoped for follow up series Sabine is in her early to mid 20s, and Ahsoka is in her mid to late 30s, with a 15 year age gap, really not that troubling

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Maybe if they met at their current ages, but she's known her since she was like 14. That's loving weird.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Maybe if they met at their current ages, but she's known her since she was like 14. That's loving weird.

No she hasn't. Sabine was 17/18 when she first met Ahsoka, the episode where they resuced Kanan from Tarkin over Mustafar. I'm not sure why people keep underestimating her age - Ezra was 14/15 when he joined the crew, and Sabine is 2 years older than he is.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 17, 2018

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

The poster couple for healthy relationships

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Looks like Filoni isn't going to be show running Resistance. That makes sense that he'd want to focus on the Clone Wars stuff.

He probably won't be the showrunner of anything anymore considering he's kinda too high for that now, especially since they'll probably be churning things out for the OTT service.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

sportsgenius86 posted:

He probably won't be the showrunner of anything anymore considering he's kinda too high for that now, especially since they'll probably be churning things out for the OTT service.

Yeah but I'm pretty sure he gets to pick the showrunners for all the animated shows the Disney higher ups green light for the service, so he's in a position to put the right people in charge.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
He got a promotion last year to do exactly that. It's his job now to oversee all the animation projects.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Hey look, an actual Resistance trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH_Ws7sA468

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Man, that really is Robotech-inspired.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Tomtrek posted:

Are those Z-95s, and are they flying through the training rings from X-Wing: Alliance? 😍

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah, I don't know if it's just lowered expectations but that didn't look too shabby to me

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Anyone else getting RWBY vibes?

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

It’s also worth keeping in mind that these shows always look rough at the beginning while they’re building up the library of assets.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

DancinBrud posted:

It’s also worth keeping in mind that these shows always look rough at the beginning while they’re building up the library of assets.

So by Season 3 we'll have a show that can stand alongside TCW & Rebels

Good to know

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

I don’t know if any animated show will ever be able to stand next to TCW, which Lucas was reportedly spending $6 million/episode on by the end of season 5. For comparison, Game of Thrones, which is probably the most expensive TV show to produce, spend about $10 mil per episode. Hard to find numbers on typical animation budgets, but they seem to be around $1-2 million per. Not sure if Rebels was higher than that, but it certainly wasn’t in Clone Wars territory.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Tomtrek posted:

Need to see some art of that white and orange fighter.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
When they said anime inspired, I didn't know they meant Berserk. Like it looks like the CGI Berserk series, but just better animated.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I don't mind that animation style too much. My only real complaint is that things tend to look blown out so the details on characters faces end up getting lost a bit. The ships look great, though!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yep, the animation and background/location models look great, the cell shading is a bit overblown.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Vinylshadow posted:

Anyone else getting RWBY vibes?
Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing. The movement and humor is very similar.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The cgi anime style looked amazing in land of the lustrous so im gonna hold out hope

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it looks fine

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
The orange spaceship looks like a Brigand with no tail turret from Crimson Skies.

At work on phone, so can't get a good pic.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Not a fan of the art style right now. But maybe it will grow on me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t know what I was expecting, but that looks pretty bad. I dig the ship designs, but not much else.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

So by Season 3 we'll have a show that can stand alongside TCW & Rebels

Good to know

Which season of TCW or Rebels? That's a moving target, too.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

fully sick looking i hope the cel shading can allow them to impart a feeling of speed to the fighters. clone wars and rebels could never sell the speed of bikes or ships.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DancinBrud posted:

Man, that really is Robotech-inspired.

Not to be a pedant, but you almost certainly mean Macross-inspired, since almost everything widely known or well liked about Robotech is from the Macross third of the sage, while the other two shows (Southern Cross and Mospeada) are almost forgotten and Macek's original elements are barely mentioned in most places. They're not things that are visually perceptible in general either. Not that I can see much of a Macross element in it personally, beyond vague "aliens and spaceships" thing that is generic to most science opera stories.

LongDarkNight posted:

Need to see some art of that white and orange fighter.

I can't quite bring myself to like it. Everything I do like about it is the obvious X-Wing elements (S-foils, general shape) while the nose of the fighter being a blunt end is just ugly. It'd make sense if it was a prop plane, which is probably where Filoni and his team took inspiration going by interview, since a prop would be fixed to the front to break up the lines or even in space since it could be explained as a ram-jet, but all the shots are atmospheric. It's probably not finished either, or at least doesn't look it in most shots.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

No, I definitely meant Robotech. Check out the show on Netflix if you haven’t seen it

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What part of it seems Robotech inspired out of interest? I'm not going to lie though, I have no intention of checking it out. I didn't even find out Robotech existed until well in to my 20s since it never aired in my country when I was young and I enjoy Macross already. Nothing I've ever heard about Robotech has made it sound like the changes are substantial enough to be worth a watch or interesting in their own right.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 17, 2018

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Sorry, I was just trying to wind you up. I certainly don’t know enough about the differences between Robotech and Macross to draw any distinctions between those two shows.

The “ship preparing to launch” imagery at the start of the trailer is what reminded me. Plus the Resistance ship/base in the ocean gave me a SDF-1 vibe.

For what it’s worth, Filoni has said Robotech was a big influence on him, and Pablo Hidalgo just tweeted out a Robotech screengrab. (Although that may or may not be related, as Pablo has essentially stopped tweeting about Star Wars because the fans on Twitter are so terrible.)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It wouldn't be surprising if they were, since they almost certainly grew up in a time and place where Robotech was airing. Pretty much everything everyone remembers about Robotech is a holdover from Macross though, and the two latter shows included to fill out the episode order are essentially forgotten (in Japan as well as American and Europe) to my knowledge so it's kind of unfair to credit it to Robotech in my opinion. Not that Macek and crew didn't put in some work, but the things people remember aren't their creations so credit where it's due and all.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

The orange spaceship looks like a Brigand with no tail turret from Crimson Skies.

At work on phone, so can't get a good pic.

nope, its a porsche

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Wait is that a Starchaser? Has that been in anything other than TIE fighter and X-Wing Alliance before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Wait is that a Starchaser?

Computer says no.

• Locked thread