Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Yeah, it’s a crazy mod called PvP.

I’ll never understand people who would rather grind out dozens of items with drop rates under 5% than learn to play PvP even halfway decently. The latter option takes less time and is infinitely more fun.

Drops happen eventually unlike me ever being good at pvp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Most of the cov rewards only really have a point if you're doing pvp.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Or if you’re going for platinum. But honestly, what’s the point of going for trophies if it’s not to fully explore the game? I platted DS3 and I didn’t actively farm up any covenant items because why would I waste my time doing that for internet points?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I have played hundreds of hours of PvP in this game and have maybe across all characters earned enough Darkmoon Blade / Blue Sentinel tokens for one character in that way.

I also don't think I've ever earned a Wolf's Blood Swordgrass through PvP, it's really easy to level or upgrade out of the range where summons for that happen (plus I just don't like low-level PvP very much.)

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
I'm not great with non-arena PVP, I feel like I just get ganked instantly for any summon. Maybe I should just... Git gud?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Swordgrass is really easy to farm because low level people don’t have butt tons of health or butt tons of estus, which are the number one and two things that make PvP a chore in this game. Get yourself a good low level weapon (I suggest Dark Hand) and beat the poo poo out of them.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Laminator posted:

I'm not great with non-arena PVP, I feel like I just get ganked instantly for any summon. Maybe I should just... Git gud?

Invasion PvP is both more difficult and more fun because it's all about using whatever you can to get an advantage over the hosts since the deck is stacked against you. Straight-up gank squads are definitely tough to deal with, but it feels extremely good to dismantle one.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Invasion PvP is both more difficult and more fun because it's all about using whatever you can to get an advantage over the hosts since the deck is stacked against you. Straight-up gank squads are definitely tough to deal with, but it feels extremely good to dismantle one.

When I was grinding the wolves covenant there was a guy hanging out there who had an abyss watchers cosplay going on. He beat me like, 6 or 7 times in a row before I barely, BARELY beat him for my 30th piece of grass. Felt good as hell.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

When I was grinding the wolves covenant there was a guy hanging out there who had an abyss watchers cosplay going on. He beat me like, 6 or 7 times in a row before I barely, BARELY beat him for my 30th piece of grass. Felt good as hell.

LORE

Also if he was spamming L1 then it's good to know for the future that you can parry the flippy third L1 weapon art.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

LORE

Also if he was spamming L1 then it's good to know for the future that you can parry the flippy third L1 weapon art.

And you can backstab the first L1 by walking forwards towards them

Edit: the "combo" to watch out for is L1, charged r2

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

asio posted:

And you can backstab the first L1 by walking forwards towards them

Edit: the "combo" to watch out for is L1, charged r2

Yyyyyeah but that's tricker. If they're really spamming L1 then the second one often comes out too quick to get the backstab. Not nearly as easy as the extremely predictable parry timing for the third L1

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I can't even parry the hollows in the ashen cemetary, forget about in PVP.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Yyyyyeah but that's tricker. If they're really spamming L1 then the second one often comes out too quick to get the backstab. Not nearly as easy as the extremely predictable parry timing for the third L1

This is true.

Hitting the perseverance weapon art into an opponents attack still works on a lot of players too. The funky hitbox of farron flipswords means that often their attack rolls around you too.

Edit: at about 6:50 in, he does caestus weapon art into walk around strat into parry the third L1 and I thought of this thread: https://youtu.be/AsBgngrLSNY

asio fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 13, 2018

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

I can't even parry the hollows in the ashen cemetary, forget about in PVP.

I wouldn't worry about parrying too much. Trades and roll-catching are more important imo. A lot of PvPers are surprisingly bad at fighting other players. Yes sometimes you'll get your poo poo pushed in, other times you'll be the one with your foot lodged in someone's rear end. When in doubt go purple and rain on everyone's parade.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Laminator posted:

Start out with Aldritch Faithful so you can get comfortable with the basics in an environment where ganks squads are slightly less common and you sometimes have allies. After doing that for a while you'll start to learn how to separate people, fight outnumbered, and exploit the level and then the whole game is your oyster.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

When in doubt go purple and rain on everyone's parade.
Don't actually do this. There's little more disheartening than struggling against 3v1 odds, seeing another invader come in, and then they backstab you and get ganked themselves 10 second later.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Counterpoint, do whatever the gently caress you want as a purple. You’re a mad spirit and reds should know that purples can’t be counted on as allies

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

Counterpoint, do whatever the gently caress you want as a purple. You’re a mad spirit and reds should know that purples can’t be counted on as allies

Counter-counter point: do whatever you want, including judging purples who side with gankers and backstab you as assholes. Crazy assholes, but still assholes.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Could someone drop me an Evangelist's Spiked Mace at the High Wall? I'd kinda like to smash my way through as much as possible with it and skip the grinding to get it to drop.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Hi I'm laminator and this is what happens when I play Dark Souls 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WR7pEqlhtM

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

MillennialVulcan posted:

Could someone drop me an Evangelist's Spiked Mace at the High Wall? I'd kinda like to smash my way through as much as possible with it and skip the grinding to get it to drop.

Which platform? What's your weapon upgrade level?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Laminator posted:

Man, he looks so cool

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Laminator posted:

well your first mistake is you're playing arena PvP

e: also what armor gives you that scarf / cloak thing

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

well your first mistake is you're playing arena PvP

e: also what armor gives you that scarf / cloak thing

For me or him? I'm wearing the Hearld Armor chest piece, and Thief Hood I think? My boy there has the FALLEN KNIGHT ARMOR

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Laminator posted:

For me or him? I'm wearing the Hearld Armor chest piece, and Thief Hood I think? My boy there has the FALLEN KNIGHT ARMOR

For you; I know the pissboy armor when I see it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
frankly I don't know what you expected

whenever I'm in arena if anyone emotes or anything I'm stabbing them 100% of the time, it's not like an invasion
we both know we're here to 1v1

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

kilinrax posted:

Which platform? What's your weapon upgrade level?

I'm on PC. It's a brand new character just sitting at the High Wall, no upgrades yet.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Laminator posted:

Why were you trying to be cute in the arena

everyone's there to fight, if you try to waste time this is what happens

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

IronicDongz posted:

frankly I don't know what you expected

whenever I'm in arena if anyone emotes or anything I'm stabbing them 100% of the time, it's not like an invasion
we both know we're here to 1v1
I don't get this attitude at all. Are you against people writing "good game" in allchat when playing DotA as well? It's a friendly greeting in the only way the game allows.

This reminds me way back when I was trading items in Diablo 2 and violently hated it because I'd write "hello, how are you?" and the response would 80% be "throw your loving items on the ground I don't have all day".

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Of course you can exchange a greeting at the start of the match (when you're a safe distance away from each other, since some people really will go for the gut immediately), but with the very limited communication tools dark souls offers anything beyond that is pointless to attempt in 1v1 arena duels and will only be interpreted as some sort of fighting tactic.

That opponent saw a shield was being held up and used the correct response in that situation, since the match had obviously already started

I have sometimes succesfully used emotes during a match in the arena to actually communicate but it really requires careful reading of the room to know if your opponent will be up for it.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 17, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Simply Simon posted:

I don't get this attitude at all. Are you against people writing "good game" in allchat when playing DotA as well? It's a friendly greeting in the only way the game allows.
no, but that doesn't actually take up time in the match.

when you see someone bow or L1 wiggle for the 100th time instead of start fighting you, it gets old. also it's very funny to bean someone while they're doing their honorable gestures(not as funny as when they try to apply multiple buffs though)

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

IronicDongz posted:

(not as funny as when they try to apply multiple buffs though)

gently caress you if you think I'm going to stand there while you buff yourself lol

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Simply Simon posted:

This reminds me way back when I was trading items in Diablo 2 and violently hated it because I'd write "hello, how are you?" and the response would 80% be "throw your loving items on the ground I don't have all day".
Sounds like a real "Doctor, it hurts when I do this" situation

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Amppelix posted:

That opponent saw a shield was being held up and used the correct response in that situation, since the match had obviously already started
Oh, I'm not actually arguing that the opponent was in the wrong in the video. After the first flurry of L1s, once you start moving and keep the shield held up the match is obviously on, and a kick onto a held-up shield is the next logical action. I simply disagree with the notion of not greeting because "it wastes time". You're playing a videogame, that's what they're for.

Volte posted:

Sounds like a real "Doctor, it hurts when I do this" situation
I didn't trade in D2 for years because I was super teenage-principled against using items obtained by bots or cheated in some other way, so...practically every item anyone would offer. When I finally loosened up, I discovered very quickly that there's a lot of other reasons to never trade and happily went back to using only stuff I found on my own again, or swapped with friends.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Dark souls 3 pvp has since been boiled down so much that the only way to reliably get an edge on an opponent is either connection fuckery or mind games. The second reason is why you should emote in the arena. E.g. emote-r1 is a true combo

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I'm debating on whether or not to start DS3 now. I'd like to ask if there's anything I should know going into it, and if the online for it is still active.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

So I'm debating on whether or not to start DS3 now. I'd like to ask if there's anything I should know going into it, and if the online for it is still active.

It averages about 4000-5000 people playing at any time on Steam. Invading at weird levels or in unpopular areas can be kind of slow (and bluecopping almost impossible) but you can absolutely still get involved in PvP or pick-up co-op.

In terms of stuff to know beforehand -- Dark Souls 3 NPC storylines become inaccessible if you so much as breathe in the wrong direction, and at least one of them has a game-changing reward locked behind it. (Sirris, for the Cat Ring.) So be prepared for that, either by embracing it or by looking up a walkthrough.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 3, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It averages about 4000-5000 people playing at any time on Steam. Invading at weird levels or in unpopular areas can be kind of slow (and bluecopping almost impossible) but you can absolutely still get involved in PvP or pick-up co-op.

In terms of stuff to know beforehand -- Dark Souls 3 NPC storylines become inaccessible if you so much as breathe in the wrong direction, and at least one of them has a game-changing reward locked behind it. (Sirris, for the Cat Ring.) So be prepared for that, either by embracing it or by looking up a walkthrough.

Wouldn't be the first time I referred to a guide heavily for Souls game. Hell, I just platinumed Demon's Souls about a week ago, and printed out a checklist and notes to keep myself organized on what to do.

Is there anything I should try in terms of character stats or gear? In DS1, I took to the Halberd and Catarina set. With DS2, they tweaked how the halberds worked, so I ended up running with the mace, the bandit axe, and most recently, one of the fencing swords. In all cases, I like to have a medium-sized 100% damage reduction shield. I thought for DS3, I'd try something different, but I don't know what.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

Wouldn't be the first time I referred to a guide heavily for Souls game. Hell, I just platinumed Demon's Souls about a week ago, and printed out a checklist and notes to keep myself organized on what to do.

Is there anything I should try in terms of character stats or gear? In DS1, I took to the Halberd and Catarina set. With DS2, they tweaked how the halberds worked, so I ended up running with the mace, the bandit axe, and most recently, one of the fencing swords. In all cases, I like to have a medium-sized 100% damage reduction shield. I thought for DS3, I'd try something different, but I don't know what.

I did dex/luck (might've been nerfed) dlc went dex/mag instead because of that one scythe and lightsaber, 2h faith/str (heavy focus on str early on until the faith spells finally start cropping up), and pyro and all three were pretty solid. Pyro just shits out damage once you get boulder hurl or whatever it's called from the swamp. Chain stunning knights by vomiting on them never gets old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Straight up sword and board knight is probably one of the strongest builds in DS3.