Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

What does altright Popeye say to bluto?

You're a cuuuck-uck-uck-uck-uck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I've travelled this old world of ours from Cali to Alsance
Ive had water in Michigan and didnt poo poo my pants
I drove a brand new Tesla car and it only killed one man
Ive met with Jordan Peterson and his one and only fan
I saw a congress brawl, and the finished border wall
But Ive never met a nice Australian!

I started singing this to the tune of Big Enough by Kirin J Callinan and it worked pretty well until the end.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's the check engine light. They have a...less than good reputation as they seem to just come on at random then lead to dishonest mechanics telling you that you need tons of expensive work even though the vehicle runs fine. It's nicknamed the idiot light.

The joke is the light is on but the driver will ignore it forever.

This is kind of not true. A check engine light can also mean "I've just poo poo out all my oil and you need to do something about it RIGHT THE gently caress NOW or you're not going to have a car anymore"

Anyway, funny picture

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Memento posted:

I started singing this to the tune of Big Enough by Kirin J Callinan and it worked pretty well until the end.

This is kind of not true. A check engine light can also mean "I've just poo poo out all my oil and you need to do something about it RIGHT THE gently caress NOW or you're not going to have a car anymore"

Anyway, funny picture

If it’s on continuously, it’s something minor. If it’s flashing, your car is about to explode.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And if the light that looks like Aladdin's lamp comes on, it means your wish for a new car just came true.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Super Grocery Kart posted:

If it’s on continuously, it’s something minor. If it’s flashing, your car is about to explode.

Real talk, if you have an Android phone you can buy a thing for like 10-20 bucks that plugs into the diagnostic socket somewhere near the driver seat. It connects by Bluetooth to your phone and tells you exactly what the error code is. This is the same information that mechanics will charge you lots more money to find out and can give you a basic idea what's wrong.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mezzanine posted:

Real talk, if you have an Android phone you can buy a thing for like 10-20 bucks that plugs into the diagnostic socket somewhere near the driver seat. It connects by Bluetooth to your phone and tells you exactly what the error code is. This is the same information that mechanics will charge you lots more money to find out and can give you a basic idea what's wrong.

Pretty sure nothing about this is Android specific.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Data Graham posted:

Pretty sure nothing about this is Android specific.

iPhones won't link to the dongle via bluetooth, you need to get the wifi version of them which is more expensive. Not by much though.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

You can also go to AutoZone and get a reading free (or even borrow the tool and do it yourself if you aren't total poo poo with cars.) It's especially useful if you have an older car and get to use the socket in the engine compartment instead of something handy by the driver's seat.

E:

Scathach has a new favorite as of 01:53 on Aug 17, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Memento posted:

iPhones won't link to the dongle via bluetooth, you need to get the wifi version of them which is more expensive. Not by much though.

I mean... I don't know if you're just talking about one specific product, but there's like tons of iOS-based Bluetooth OBD2 readers

https://www.obdadvisor.com/best-obd2-iphone/

I made one myself for that matter

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I've been there before. Needless to say, I was not impressed by the name.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Scathach posted:

You can also go to AutoZone and get a reading free (or even borrow the tool and do it yourself if you aren't total poo poo with cars.)

Not in CA last time I checked.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/IncubusFanDog/status/1029822985832734720

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

DiggityDoink posted:

In CA you can go to Pep Boys for the free scan instead. Or just pick up your own scanner for like $40 at Harbor Freight.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I still have Anna Molly downloaded onto my phone.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

The MSJ posted:

I still have Anna Molly downloaded onto my phone.

McPhearson has a new favorite as of 18:07 on Aug 17, 2018

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

DiggityDoink posted:

They'll let you borrow the reader and print out the report for you. Still free.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Noice

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I've travelled this old world of ours from Cali to Alsance
Ive had water in Michigan and didnt poo poo my pants
I drove a brand new Tesla car and it only killed one man
Ive met with Jordan Peterson and his one and only fan
I saw a congress brawl, and the finished border wall
But Ive never met a nice Australian!

No, he's never met a nice Australian,
And that's not bloody surprising mate, cause we're a bunch of arrogant bastards.

(Spitting Image, "I've Never Met a Nice South-African")

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/MattGrippi/status/1029832143201951744

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Memento posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxEweP2TiMk Assuming you weren't making a joke that went over my head, this is the tune the lyrics go with.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

That's how Bowie played the part too

It is a common way to do it

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Yeah it's how the president did it too

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose Valasquez posted:

That's how Bowie played the part too

It is a common way to do it

Yeah they mention that in the responses. It's a way to let the audience sympathize with the character, which would be difficult if he looked weird. So instead he's just a hot guy. Which seems kinda hosed up and the opposite of the point of the story?

But I suppose it's good that there's an artistic reason for it, and it's definitely not just hot young actors not wanting to wear ten pounds of uglifying prosthetics.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/jHl1Uub.mp4

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Mezzanine posted:

they loving do this for free at autozone jesus christ

don't ignore your CEL you loving nerds

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah they mention that in the responses. It's a way to let the audience sympathize with the character, which would be difficult if he looked weird. So instead he's just a hot guy. Which seems kinda hosed up and the opposite of the point of the story?

But I suppose it's good that there's an artistic reason for it, and it's definitely not just hot young actors not wanting to wear ten pounds of uglifying prosthetics.

https://twitter.com/jlr_1969/status/1029950593689825282

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

"If we can only emphasize with him without deformities"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://twitter.com/chaeronaea/status/1030194824350244864

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My word, Colin, could you please describe what's going on behind you?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Data Graham posted:

My word, Colin, could you please describe what's going on behind you?

It all started with a badly timed bald joke!

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

SpacePig posted:

It all started with a badly timed bald joke!

One of my favorite segments because not only was it usually hilarious, but he worked so goddamned hard on it. Making it work took so much effort.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

And if the light that looks like Aladdin's lamp comes on, it means your wish for a new car just came true.

That person probably wishes for a new truck constantly. It's on the back window of a Ford F-250. I bet money the joke is that one has a 6.0L diesel. Broke all the time, owner and vehicle.

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

It's worth noting that in many cases you don't even need an OBD II scanner, some cars will let you check stored error codes by flashing the check light at you. In my case, with the car off and in neutral I hold down the brake and gas pedal and then turn the power on, and it'll flash the CEL in sequence with a break between numbers (e.g 10 flashes, 1 flash, 1 flash, 10 flashes would correspond to error code 0110, a bad air intake temp sensor). Definitely worth checking if your car lets you do the same thing so at least you know what fault is on record so you don't get rolled by a crooked mechanic.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Love how car dashboards have high-resolution LCD screens now that can show as much arbitrary info as they want to but still refuse to break away from the "single idiot light LED with a dictionary of secret codes that can only be read by a diagnostic device and map to readable problem diagnoses", I guess to protect the dealer mechanic network

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Love how car dashboards have high-resolution LCD screens now that can show as much arbitrary info as they want to but still refuse to break away from the "single idiot light LED with a dictionary of secret codes that can only be read by a diagnostic device and map to readable problem diagnoses", I guess to protect the dealer mechanic network

I don't know if it's even that, if you're inclined towards fixing your own car then you already know how to find these things and if you aren't, is having the dashboard tell you that an O2 sensor has failed really going to convince you to get under the vehicle to fix it rather than get a mechanic? It's probably either because there's no real gain for the added expense, or because the dash light system is more robust and less prone to loving up than one plugged into the (usually terrible) dashscreen.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
It's more to not be relying on another piece of equipment that can fail too to get your diagnostic. It's always been like that with many electronics and I think it's good practice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The dash screen should just open up a youtube "how to replace your headlight" video