Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I hear good things about the book version of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

I haven't read that one but I enjoyed The Rebellion of the Hanged well enough, it's about indigenous labourers being forced into slavery on Mexican mahogany plantations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
How come spy fiction isn't one of the genres here?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

How come spy fiction isn't one of the genres here?
Because what the bravest lamp is criticizing here, that sci-fi and fantasy aspire to otherworldliness but remain stubbornly earthbound, doesn't apply to that genre. You'll also see that he doesn't have any write-ups of romance novels or mysteries. Don't fault him for having a clear sense of what he's doing.

In any case, nothing's stopping you from posting about spy fiction yourself. If you have insights to share, people would be more than willing to read them.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

No, I only look at the covers. That's enough to judge books.

Hah. Fair enough. You know what I mean, though. I can imagine you reading the first one, and then skimming through the others to find excerpts of writing that offend you. It's just... based on the quality of those excerpts, I'd find it very hard to persevere through that series.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Man, the dialogue in that first excerpt is just awful. It's only a few steps up from some Eye of Argon crap, and Abercrombie (presumably) doesn't even have the excuse of being a teenager in the Ozarks when he was writing it.

Also, writing a Muslim-bogeyman evil empire in your gritty fantasy novel is bad enough, but naming it the "Gurkish Empire" is a loving crime. Seriously?

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 17, 2018

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

CountFosco posted:

Hah. Fair enough. You know what I mean, though. I can imagine you reading the first one, and then skimming through the others to find excerpts of writing that offend you. It's just... based on the quality of those excerpts, I'd find it very hard to persevere through that series.

He not only read all 6, he quite enjoyed them!

All the characters and their stories were great, basically.

The Heroes is obviously superior as a book, but BSC has such satisfying payoffs to everything that it's more fun to read.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Bullet Proof posted:

He not only read all 6, he quite enjoyed them!

That was deep cover infiltration.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

It's important to note that, while not mustachio twirling villains, the Ottomans were no saints either. They saw conquest as a legitimate means of empire expanding just as much as any Western power, and as inheritors of the Roman Empire, they saw themselves as having casus belli on pretty much all of their neighbors. Sure, the millet system gave local minorities in the empire more autonomy than was typical in other empires, but at the end of the day ultimate power and authority really did rest in the Sultan and his bureaucracy. The devsirme system, for example, isn't some historical fiction invented in order to blacken the name of the Turks. That said, I haven't read Abercrombie's books, so whether he crosses the line from legitimate critique into Orientalist racism is not for me to say.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

CountFosco posted:

It's important to note that, while not mustachio twirling villains, the Ottomans were no saints either. They saw conquest as a legitimate means of empire expanding just as much as any Western power, and as inheritors of the Roman Empire, they saw themselves as having casus belli on pretty much all of their neighbors. Sure, the millet system gave local minorities in the empire more autonomy than was typical in other empires, but at the end of the day ultimate power and authority really did rest in the Sultan and his bureaucracy. The devsirme system, for example, isn't some historical fiction invented in order to blacken the name of the Turks. That said, I haven't read Abercrombie's books, so whether he crosses the line from legitimate critique into Orientalist racism is not for me to say.

He doesn't delve deeply enough into Gurkish culture for anything like a proper critique - they're largely the faceless invading horde.

I feel with both Bayaz and the Gurkish Abercrombie is motivated by nihilism rather than racism. The idea of a banking conspiracy secretly pulling an empires strings is undoubtedly antisemitic, but the central gag of the ending is that there isn't some sinister cabal running the show - it's just one rear end in a top hat wizard. It's a very TVTropes approach. He's seemingly identified that banking-conspiracies and swarthy-foreigners are a somewhat problematic feature of modern fantasy, and his oh-so-clever twist is to have it all be the result of a secret wizard feud. It "subverts" the trope instead of realising that you shouldn't have the drat trope to begin with.

Edit: Abercrombie's prose is a lot like Rothfuss in it's performative cleverness. It's not enough to come up with a powerful metaphor or to find a nice rhythm, it has to dance back and forth in front of you telling you how very clever it is. The earthy dialect BotL quotes is obnoxiously over the top, like it's written to draw attention to how very earthy its dialect is. There's the occasional good snippet when he stops trying so drat hard. I really like the scene where Forley happily marches off to warn Bethod and probably get himself executed. Abercrombie strips out some (not nearly enough) of the forced dialogue and we actually get some of the underlying emotion coming through.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 17, 2018

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Gurkish

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

You know, in Guy Gavriel Kay's books there's a people that represent the Sassanid Empire. You know what they're called?

Bassanids.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

hey man, if it ain't broke

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Or how Bakker just smashed together completely different words to come up with Padirajah.

Or gave his Jesus figure two names that are both kind of like Jesus.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

As much fun as it is to make fun of the Jisraelites praying to Iesus it all just ties back to BotL's core themes that nothing is fantastic in any way.

I just remembered the John Carter of Mars books, and those never pretended to be anything but silly pulp fiction. There's a lot in there that I suspect would be problematic to a modern reader, but there's a lot of just straight up wacky surprising poo poo you don't see that often in fantasy, like how Mars girls lay eggs or wacky mutant psychic heads that grow headless bodies to ride around on.

Meanwhile Joe Abercrombie and co are going to have poo poo you can find in your local D&D game.

As to Abercrombie/Rothfuss' prose, the idea is to appear smart so people who are identifying with the proper books can feel like they read a work of literature and disguising the fact that this is all ripped off dungeons and dragons.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CountFosco posted:

The Ottoman empire was badass and I won't have anyone sullying their cool decadence and style

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah a lot of fantasy books these days don’t include a lot of fantastic stuff. The ones that do are still filed in the fantasy/sci-if section but under the subcategory “weird fiction” like China Mievilles work.

Nurglings
May 6, 2016

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Meanwhile Joe Abercrombie and co are going to have poo poo you can find in your local D&D game.

As to Abercrombie/Rothfuss' prose, the idea is to appear smart so people who are identifying with the proper books can feel like they read a work of literature and disguising the fact that this is all ripped off dungeons and dragons.

Almost nothing pisses me off more than r/Fantasy neckbeards slobbering all over themselves thinking of new adjectives to place in front of "prose" when talking about Rothfuss

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

honestly i probably wouldnt give a poo poo about rothfuss and think he was just another lame fantasy writer if it weren't for his unbelievably smug blog posts

isn't he also the one that was like "my editors are allowed to the story but not my prose because i have mastered the craft"?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Abercrombie’s series owes as much to George R.R. Martin as to Tarantino, as he writes of geopolitical struggles that become complicated by supernatural forces and secrets emerging from the margins of the Circle of the World. The opening trilogy centres on the Anglo-Germanic kingdom of the Union, beset by barbarians in the imaginatively named North and by the despotic Gurkish Empire (one letter away from Turkish Empire) in the Global South. The former are genericized Norse-Saxon-Celts with a Hyborian veneer, while the latter are Ottomans presented with confusing and confused Orientalist nastiness. The corrupt Union stands in for Western civilization and imperialism, but initially bears the reader’s sympathy as the closest thing to a stable, amiable polity. Three anti-heroes from each nation are drawn together by a Merlin-like sponsor to improve themselves on a quest to save the Union, while a crippled torturer navigates the grime of hyper-gritty detective fiction, and a band of gruff men of violence try to survive without their leader. But the true narrative of this trilogy is the overlong revelation that our heroes will never improve themselves, for they are either monsters, fools, or both. Like the Union, they turn out to be no better than their enemies.

I always thought Abercrombie looked pretty bad, but this sounds pretty entertaining. Thanks for the recommendation.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Seldom Posts posted:

I always thought Abercrombie looked pretty bad, but this sounds pretty entertaining. Thanks for the recommendation.

“Northerner, eh?” asked a massive shape in the doorway.

“Aye, who’s asking?”

“The Stone-Splitter.”

He was big this one, very big, and tough, and savage. You could see it on him as he shoved the cupboard away with his huge boot and crunched forward through the broken plates. It meant less than nothing to the Bloody-Nine though—he was made to break such men. Tul Duru Thunderhead had been bigger. Rudd Threetrees had been tougher. Black Dow had been twice as savage. The Bloody-Nine had broken them, and plenty more besides. The bigger, the tougher, the more savage he was, so much the worse would be his breaking.

“Stone-Shitter?” laughed the Bloody-Nine. “So fuckin’ what? Next to die is what y’are, and nothing more!” He held his left hand up, spattered with red blood, three fingers spread out wide, grinning through the gap where the middle one used to be, a long time ago. “They call me the Bloody-Nine.”

“Dah!” The Stone-Splitter ripped off his mask and threw it on the floor. “Liar! There’s plenty o’ men in the north have lost a finger. They ain’t all Ninefingers!”

“No. Only me.”

That great face twisted up with rage. “You loving liar! You think to scare the Stone-Splitter with a name that’s not your own? I’ll carve a new arse in you, maggot! I’ll put the bloody cross on you! I’ll put you back in the mud you coward loving liar!”

“Kill me?” The Bloody-Nine laughed louder than ever. “I do the killing, fool!”

The talk was done.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

“Aye, who’s asking?”

“The Stone-Splitter.”

He was big this one, very big, and tough, and savage. You could see it on him as he shoved the cupboard away with his huge boot and crunched forward through the broken plates. It meant less than nothing to the Bloody-Nine though—he was made to break such men. Tul Duru Thunderhead had been bigger. Rudd Threetrees had been tougher. Black Dow had been twice as savage. The Bloody-Nine had broken them, and plenty more besides. The bigger, the tougher, the more savage he was, so much the worse would be his breaking.

“Stone-Shitter?” laughed the Bloody-Nine. “So fuckin’ what? Next to die is what y’are, and nothing more!” He held his left hand up, spattered with red blood, three fingers spread out wide, grinning through the gap where the middle one used to be, a long time ago. “They call me the Bloody-Nine.”

“Dah!” The Stone-Splitter ripped off his mask and threw it on the floor. “Liar! There’s plenty o’ men in the north have lost a finger. They ain’t all Ninefingers!”

“No. Only me.”

That great face twisted up with rage. “You loving liar! You think to scare the Stone-Splitter with a name that’s not your own? I’ll carve a new arse in you, maggot! I’ll put the bloody cross on you! I’ll put you back in the mud you coward loving liar!”

The talk was done.

Hmm, this seems bad. Maybe I'll read the rest of your post.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It bothers me that he couldn't even loop the 'carve you a new arse' back into 'stone shitter'. C'mon.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

“Aye, who’s asking?”

“The Stone-Splitter.”

“No. Only me.”

The talk was done.

I don't really like the use of the word "savage" here as kind of a...general physical description? Like big I get, I'll give you tough, but you just see some guy in a doorway and you're like, "Holy poo poo this dude is savage"? Does he have like baby bones falling out of his teeth or something?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I discovered the afterword in shadow of the torturer that claims this is a translation and I have v. strong feelings about it

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I discovered the afterword in shadow of the torturer that claims this is a translation and I have v. strong feelings about it

:justpost:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Ok, so, here's my issue with it.

A. Its kind of a tedious thing that exists mostly to silence those whoa are obnoxiously hyper-serious about world building by being like "when I say horses I don;t mean horses but the closest approximation to the animal that doesn't exist yet is horses so I said horses please just shut up"

B. Its a way more interesting story than the actual story.

The postscript posits that the book that has been translated is one of many artifacts of a "post-history" that have been collected by contemporary scholars and shared in secret. Essentially, there is an entire circle of academia dedicated to the collection and study of evidence of future events so as to create a coherent narrative of what is to come. That's a goddamn Calvino/Borges premise. gently caress this pretentious sci-fi fantasy shoe-gazing bullshit, all the interesting questions are in the postscript. What do you do as a scholar of future events? Do you feel you have an obligation to try and change the course of what is patently a rather grim view of things to come? Can those events even be changed? How do the academic principles of studying history translate into a study of events yet to come?

I want THAT book

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I bet someone will pipe up to recommend some genre trash.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

I bet someone will pipe up to recommend some genre trash.

Closest I can think of is Robert Charles Wilson's The Chronoliths. Which isn't all that close to the previous post, but he does have the kind of regard among sf readers that would make for an interesting subject here.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Anyway, reading Shadow and Claw, all I can think of is another overrated work which I already mentioned in the latest review: Oldboy (2003). They're eerily similar in style and spirit.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Not seeing that comparison at all.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
"Gurkish" is really bad because it's close enough to "Gherkin" the brain automatically associates it with pickles.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

C.M. Kruger posted:

"Gurkish" is really bad because it's close enough to "Gherkin" the brain automatically associates it with pickles.

I associate it with pubic wigs

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

I associate it with pubic wigs
The only way to do that would be through "gherkin" in the first place. :raise:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The only way to do that would be through "gherkin" in the first place. :raise:

Yes, which shows that I think at least twice as fast as the idiots who only got to "gherkin" in a single free-association interval.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ok, so, here's my issue with it.

A. Its kind of a tedious thing that exists mostly to silence those whoa are obnoxiously hyper-serious about world building by being like "when I say horses I don;t mean horses but the closest approximation to the animal that doesn't exist yet is horses so I said horses please just shut up"

B. Its a way more interesting story than the actual story.

The postscript posits that the book that has been translated is one of many artifacts of a "post-history" that have been collected by contemporary scholars and shared in secret. Essentially, there is an entire circle of academia dedicated to the collection and study of evidence of future events so as to create a coherent narrative of what is to come. That's a goddamn Calvino/Borges premise. gently caress this pretentious sci-fi fantasy shoe-gazing bullshit, all the interesting questions are in the postscript. What do you do as a scholar of future events? Do you feel you have an obligation to try and change the course of what is patently a rather grim view of things to come? Can those events even be changed? How do the academic principles of studying history translate into a study of events yet to come?

I want THAT book

Trust this thread to conclude that a book about a bunch of academics arguing and pondering and publishing about poo poo that never happened would be a better read than a book about a shirtless hunk with a bitchin sword who lives in a rocket ship and wears black and executes people and has lots of sex

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
BotL, please read The Worm Ouroboros. I would love to hear your take on its prose, since it does really commit to everyone not sounding and acting like moderns, and also on its politics.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I want to see him do Anathem by Neal Stephenson, or Feersum Endjinn by Banks.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Viriconium or bust.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Or any M John Harrison for that matter.

(but mostly Viriconium. Just don't forget the Kefahuchi Tract trilogy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Wanna watch Asimov get torn a new Asimov.