Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Foglet posted:

I know, right?

Truth be told, DracuRouge looks more like a Vampire Hunter D game (you must've seen that post by Andy K outlining it), but still.

At least I have my Ryuutama. And my hope, since SOME demand evidently exists.

If you want to play Vampire Hunter D there's an official Pathfinder supplement for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I think it would be more accurate to say:

Of you want to play Pathfinder there's an official Vampire Hunter D supplement for it.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

PST posted:

This one baffles me. I kind of get it for the people going 'I'll watch it and buy in when it hits my determination of 'value for money', but the people who pledge at the base level, and then complain they're not getting enough free stuff are weird. You thought it was good enough x days/weeks ago, and now suddenly it's not good enough even though you're still probably getting more 'stuff' than you backed for'.

Humans are entitled as gently caress. Their dollar is obviously worth more than yours. :smithicide:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

kinkouin posted:

Humans are entitled as gently caress. Their dollar is obviously worth more than yours. :smithicide:

Writes down, “Kickstarter for dogs

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Arivia posted:

If you want to play Vampire Hunter D there's an official Pathfinder supplement for it.
I bet pretty much anything that – Pathfinder being Pathfinder and all – there's no proper way in it to defeat a vampire foe romantically and gothically. No matter how official it poses itself to be.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Foglet posted:

I bet pretty much anything that – Pathfinder being Pathfinder and all – there's no proper way in it to defeat a vampire foe romantically and gothically. No matter how official it poses itself to be.

That seems like something you'd want your GM to work with a player on a case-by-case basis for killing a vampire in a non-standard way. Codifying the rules for that would probably cause more issues than leaving it open ended. I get that Pathfinder is very rules-heavy and not great for improvisation of this type, but this is totally the kind of thing you'd want to be up to GM fiat.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

OgreNoah posted:

That seems like something you'd want your GM to work with a player on a case-by-case basis for killing a vampire in a non-standard way. Codifying the rules for that would probably cause more issues than leaving it open ended. I get that Pathfinder is very rules-heavy and not great for improvisation of this type, but this is totally the kind of thing you'd want to be up to GM fiat.
"But doctor, I am Pagliacci the GM!"
Also (and a bit more to he point), I like studying games that do things differently from what I'm accustomed to. Judging by the several specimen I've had a chance to read and run, the Japanese TRPG ecosystem can be wonderfully endemic and peculiar, so "that would probably cause issues" isn't something to make me feel "oh yeah, right, indeed it could. Phew, so glad to have dodged this bullet!". Not that Ryuutama (my current game of choice for certain cases!) or TBZ gave me much pain with regards to their uniqueness.
To me personally it's a far more preferable approach than "the d20 engine can do anything anyway, why even bother with [system/game N]".

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I don't think this got mentioned?

Your Best Game Ever!

I'm kind of surprised it hasn't with all the Monte Cook love around here.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

PST posted:

This one baffles me. I kind of get it for the people going 'I'll watch it and buy in when it hits my determination of 'value for money', but the people who pledge at the base level, and then complain they're not getting enough free stuff are weird. You thought it was good enough x days/weeks ago, and now suddenly it's not good enough even though you're still probably getting more 'stuff' than you backed for'.

I think a lot of it is basically strategic pledging: they pledge early to build momentum on the project and encourage others to do the same, but they were planning all along to withdraw that pledge if it doesn't hit the stretch goal they had their eye on.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Your Best Game Ever!

I'm not hugely surprised Monte Cook is writing a standalone advice book, given how many GMing-advice asides he gives in Invisible Sun. (Tragically, almost none of them are "okay, but what kind of stories should I be trying to tell with this game, besides handwavery about surrealism?" IS has a huge problem with being a big toybox of ideas the writers were clearly excited about but which don't have much room to play in, to absolutely nobody's surprise.)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

I'm not hugely surprised Monte Cook is writing a standalone advice book, given how many GMing-advice asides he gives in Invisible Sun. (Tragically, almost none of them are "okay, but what kind of stories should I be trying to tell with this game, besides handwavery about surrealism?" IS has a huge problem with being a big toybox of ideas the writers were clearly excited about but which don't have much room to play in, to absolutely nobody's surprise.)

It's not GM advice. It's player advice.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's not GM advice. It's player advice.

oh boy, I wonder how much of it is basic "don't be an rear end in a top hat" advice. I'm putting the over/under on 50%

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

As ashamed as I am to admit it, I'd buy a book on builds for some games. Exalted, for starters.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

As ashamed as I am to admit it, I'd buy a book on builds for some games. Exalted, for starters.

Pathfinder has a strategy guide that tells you how to construct builds and how various rules elements fit together. It's also limited to only options from the core rulebook. :downs:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Your Best Game Ever!

"Your Best Game Ever!"
foreward by "Your Favorite President!"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Foglet posted:

Andy Kitkowski deserves praise for being one of the few forces currently in operation that tries and manages to commercially publish Japanese tabletop RPGs in English (Tenra Bansho Zero, Ryuutama, Shinobigami) alongside Ewen Cluney (Golden Sky Stories) since Ver. Blue (Double Cross) went down, but drat if his Kickstarters' update density hasn't been frustrating :(

I just want someone to pick up Tenra War for publication.

Or Meikyuu Kingdom / Meikyuu Days (I think I remember Ewen's "Yaruki Zero" planning to take it officially, but seemingly not much resulted out of it).

Or Colossal Hunter (Shadow of the Colossus/Monster Hunter: The TRPG, with multi-tiered combat maps).

Or DracuRouge (Castlevania: The TRPG/Japanese World of Darkness).

Same. I don't care that Meikyuu Kingdom is a bunch of random generators, it'd still be neat to run one shots out of. The Japanese TTRPG scene is ultra niche and is tailored for a wildly different style of play so it's really interesting the stuff they come out with and the different design spaces they work with because their play dynamic is so different from what "The West" has. Just the existence of Replays is its own unique thing that basically didn't really exist here in any form other than forum anecdotes until podcasts came along.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arivia posted:

Pathfinder has a strategy guide that tells you how to construct builds and how various rules elements fit together. It's also limited to only options from the core rulebook. :downs:

Wow. If I bought that (and also we're living under some bizarre draconian government regulations where I'm being forced to play Pathfinder) and it was just core options considering the umpty-nine books they've got with other classes, I'd be irritated.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Any time I've seen a book on character building, it's almost always hilariously bad. The "For Dummies" books were notably cringeworthy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Any time I've seen a book on character building, it's almost always hilariously bad. The "For Dummies" books were notably cringeworthy.

I remember somebody on RPG.net once upon a time had a very nice 'how not to die in Exalted' for 1E article or similar, written from the perspective of an exasperated Dragon-Blooded who found out her troops had been cut down once again by a farm girl with a shovel who the Unconquered Sun decided was the right host for the spirit of an Invincible Sword Princess.

That said, it would be likely any guide would probably be Not Very Good or super basic.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Dawgstar posted:

That said, it would be likely any guide would probably be Not Very Good or super basic.

There are tons of online guides for building characters, various levels of optimization, suggestions for play etc. But the people who write and edit books are a very different group than the people who write blog/forum posts.

As a special call out, there are some incredible D&D/Pathfinder guides for various classes and races. As unimpressed as I am with the actual games they're writing about, there is a real good community there.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Mors Rattus posted:

Does it involve random d6 tables?

because if not Ewen Cluney won't translate it and your hope lies entirely with people who take even longer and more sporadic work.
Man, if that was how it worked I would've put out a bunch of Adventure Planning Service's games by now.

But, no joke, I will look into this, though I have kind of a lot of stuff in the pipeline right now.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wasn't there a Penny Arcade cover 4e book that was basically full of bad Charop advice?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Wasn't there a Penny Arcade cover 4e book that was basically full of bad Charop advice?

Yep. Player's Strategy Guide or something.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I actually charop for my players when we play anything with serious crunch - mostly 3.5 because we are The Grogs now (gestalt, for maximum neckbeard). They bring me their concepts, a day later I spit out a blend of insane and viable class mixtures for the next 20 levels, all tailored to the request, the setting, and the game's playstyle. It works well that way so a guide generally on how to optimize not only for raw power but for interesting concepts could be useful, but I can't see a book of just raw builds being that useful.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

It was actually full of pretty good charop advice, at least up to the point where the book was released (e.g. no Expertise feats since it was released in 2010).

It only covers the basics (pick a class, max your primary attribute in point buy, pick a build, put your second highest score in the build's secondary stat, take a race that boosts both unless you have a very good reason to boost your third stat, pick powers that are designed for the build, pick items and feats that support your class/build) but it's really good at explaining those in an approachable way, for people who aren't used to the concept of building characters optimally.

That made it completely useless for veteran players or if the group had someone who could explain all this to the table directly, but it was a good effort at being more inclusive of new players.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It's also a lot harder to screw up advice for 4e in general, as opposed to the usual 3e notions like "put Toughness on your Wizard!"

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, 4e charop was mostly "that thing you want to do? Take the stuff that works with it". The keywords and Insider/CBLoader were two of the big reasons I liked it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's also a lot harder to screw up advice for 4e in general, as opposed to the usual 3e notions like "put Toughness on your Wizard!"

But multiple other TG threads have told me a muscle wizard is in fact the best

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well I guess this might be of interest to people who have 3D Printers and play stuff like The Walking Dead.

A 3D Printable Mall!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Reign: Second Edition has a little under 48 hours left and has unlocked a bunch of extra content (including "all the writers get a raise").

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

NTRabbit posted:

But multiple other TG threads have told me a muscle wizard is in fact the best

Muscle wizards are the best, you just have to play them in a system not stuck in the 1980's.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I just got my shipping notice for 13th Age in Glorantha, so it looks like that Kickstarter should complete fulfillment shortly.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, I picked it up at GenCon, I can confirm that the book is not a myth.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I picked it up at GenCon, I can confirm that the book is not a myth.

I thought the entire point of Glorantha was that it was myth. :v:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Hey, goons, two hours left on Reign 2nd edition.

EDIT: Also 62 hours left on Iron Edda Accelerated, which has funded but hasn't even hit 200% of its modest goal. Despite being "Accelerated" it looks like it's going to expand the rules quite a bit. I haven't taken a close look at the backer-available preview, but the pitch video addresses all the criticisms I had of the original product.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 21, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Do you guys feel like there's more KS campaigns in the first half of the year than the latter? Like, from about February to June, I backed several and there were a few I wanted but didn't and you got a decent steady flow, but since then it feels like they've mostly dropped off. Like, I'm looking now and there's almost nothing that catches my eye.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm finding it nearly impossible to believe, but apparently Medioevo Universalis actually shipped.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

The_Doctor posted:

Do you guys feel like there's more KS campaigns in the first half of the year than the latter? Like, from about February to June, I backed several and there were a few I wanted but didn't and you got a decent steady flow, but since then it feels like they've mostly dropped off. Like, I'm looking now and there's almost nothing that catches my eye.

"Received wisdom" (which may be backed up by some sort of data, I dunno) is that you don't want to start a TRPG Kickstarter (1) around Christmas, (2) when gencon is happening, and (3) when school is starting in the USA. each of those are in the second half of the year so you tend to see less volume then.

It also could just be a coincidence/random noise for what you prefer.

Henker
May 5, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

My big pet peeve is that companies always like to do their horror themed stuff in October. I get that it makes sense thematically with the month, but then you get horror fans like me who are unwilling to back that many projects in a short timeframe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Henker posted:

My big pet peeve is that companies always like to do their horror themed stuff in October. I get that it makes sense thematically with the month, but then you get horror fans like me who are unwilling to back that many projects in a short timeframe.

Horror stuff should launch mid February, and every other year near the beginning of November.