Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

Check the youtube comments on any game where you gotta play a girl.

Or better yet, don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Everything looks good (take Origins, add gameplay cycle of Black Sails, sprinkle a bit of Shadow of War/MGSV) but I really can't help but loathe the BIG NUMBERS EVERYWHERE MAKE SURE YOUR NUMBERS GET BIGGER OR YOU WON'T HAVE BIG ENOUGH NUMBERS.

The difficulty curve is a ratio between your damage and the enemy hp, and vice versa. You aren't fooling anyone Ubisoft, that ratio remains more or less constant.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alchenar posted:

Everything looks good (take Origins, add gameplay cycle of Black Sails, sprinkle a bit of Shadow of War/MGSV) but I really can't help but loathe the BIG NUMBERS EVERYWHERE MAKE SURE YOUR NUMBERS GET BIGGER OR YOU WON'T HAVE BIG ENOUGH NUMBERS.

The difficulty curve is a ratio between your damage and the enemy hp, and vice versa. You aren't fooling anyone Ubisoft, that ratio remains more or less constant.

The player is going to bump into then-aspiring mathematician Euclid and make some offhanded comment about how no matter where they go, their gear always seems to scale in some fixed proportion to enemy health.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"If I keep upgrading my arrows, and the turtle keeps upgrading its sprint speed..."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Carlosologist posted:

whoa that's a thing? I haven't seen any more gameplay video outside of the E3 stuff

also yup, just lol if Kassandra isn't the main character in your head. why did they even bother with Alexios I wonder

ill probably play as alexos the first time through because he looks like a more rugged season 3 Daario and playing as a bisexual spartan pirate king/queen seems cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VooYYEeFKEo&t

also they built athens.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It would be probably too much effort but it would be cool if you could switch between the protags somehow. I can't make up my mind yet.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Most of the time the only choice is to be a dude so I tend to always go for a female protagonist when possible.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a8cWF-29lI&feature=youtu.be

I wonder what the ancient Greek variation of a fulton would be?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Harpies

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DisposableHero posted:

Most of the time the only choice is to be a dude so I tend to always go for a female protagonist when possible.

Same, but I kinda want to be super gay.

In the game, I mean.

And also in real life.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Carlosologist posted:

whoa that's a thing? I haven't seen any more gameplay video outside of the E3 stuff

also yup, just lol if Kassandra isn't the main character in your head. why did they even bother with Alexios I wonder

I think it's a stealth ability, they've where I've seen it in previews it looks that way anyway

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

precision posted:

Same, but I kinda want to be super gay.

In the game, I mean.

And also in real life.

Legitimate life and game goals

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You know, even if I weren't a bit queer-ish, I'd still make dudes kiss in as many games as possible, just to send the message.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Embedded version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VooYYEeFKEo

This is impressive

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

isk posted:

Embedded version:

This is impressive

This is all super cool...BUT...

I'm playing through Origins finally, and I find that I'm really missing the in-game codex?

I know the education mode is a thing, and I dipped my toe into it and the little I tried was super cool, but I miss climbing something and then immediately being all "oh!, what's the deal with that structure?" and then reading about it (yes, even with Sean snark).

I do hope both Education-mode and the codex are coming back for Odyssey.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

isk posted:

This is impressive

Yeah seriously the parthenon looks perfect. I don't recognise much of the other stuff other than the temple of Hephaestus because its either not there now or much more ruined, but it looks like they spent a tonne of effort on their athens trip visiting all the ruins. The Zeus temple in game looks like its gunna be an almost pefect match, it was just a few pillars until the romans finished it and it's just a few pillars now.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

isk posted:

Embedded version:

This is impressive

Looks gorgeous, I hope my PC can run it smoothly. I'll be damned if I have to bring Sparta to heel in 30 fps.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

AndrewP posted:

Looks gorgeous, I hope my PC can run it smoothly. I'll be damned if I have to bring Sparta to heel in 30 fps.

:same:

Origins ran fine but lit up my cpu a little more than I’d like. Hoping Odyssey’s a little better but I suppose there’s no reason that it would be

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm hoping that Ubi will improve the performance optimization for Odyssey, or at least allow users to offload certain effects onto the GPU if it's another highly CPU-intensive game.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Scott Forstall posted:

ooh, I need that Brotherhood thing where you just flick your fingers and dudes fly in from everywhere are start shanking people like its a prison riot

I have not kept up on the AC series after Brotherhood but how was only a one-time thing?? One of the coolest videogame mechanics ever, as far as I’m concerned. What a waste.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

AndrewP posted:

I have not kept up on the AC series after Brotherhood but how was only a one-time thing?? One of the coolest videogame mechanics ever, as far as I’m concerned. What a waste.

It was in revelations too, wasn’t it? But yeah it should have been in more

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

It was an awesome mechanic but trivialized a lot of encounters

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It would've been the perfect mechanic for them to add to Origins in the Hidden Ones DLC considering all the assassins hanging around your base, but instead they added...nothing :effort:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

so i was scanning through the wiki. remeber all those plot points in syndicate, templars growing first civ clones, Juno trying to get into one and Desmond bastard son. its all wrapped in the comics. the kids a sage and junos cult gets hosed up and she dies.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Comic tie-ins, where bad video game plots go to die.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

hiddenriverninja posted:

It was an awesome mechanic but trivialized a lot of encounters

It's not like the combat wasn't trivial already by that point in the series. The evolution of that is combat where you don't actually do anything.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Do the controls get better in the sequels following AC2, or are they pretty much the same up until Origins?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Node posted:

Do the controls get better in the sequels following AC2, or are they pretty much the same up until Origins?

Brotherhood is better, Revelations is the same thing as Brotherhood. 3 is a little jankier (than bro/rev but better than 2) imo but it gets better again in black flag/rogue.

I thought Unity was bad, but it's also just very different from everything before (a lot less focus on exploiting instant kills and more emphasis on having good gear and taking down enemy health bars). Syndicate takes what Unity started and makes it good again.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Brotherhood's combo kill system is great, and the parkour generally flows better in 3 and onward. Origins' parkour is levels above all the others.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

isk posted:

Brotherhood's combo kill system is great, and the parkour generally flows better in 3 and onward. Origins' parkour is levels above all the others.

It was both a good and a bad thing that I played Origins first.

If I want to get glimpses into the story (the real world) do I want to be collecting these codex pages and glyphs? I'm not going to even try with the feathers.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Brotherhood is better, Revelations is the same thing as Brotherhood. 3 is a little jankier (than bro/rev but better than 2) imo but it gets better again in black flag/rogue.

I thought Unity was bad, but it's also just very different from everything before (a lot less focus on exploiting instant kills and more emphasis on having good gear and taking down enemy health bars). Syndicate takes what Unity started and makes it good again.

Unity is the point at which 'free run' gets split into 'move up/move down' and that removes the vast majority of accidentally leaping the wrong way.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Unity is the point at which 'free run' gets split into 'move up/move down' and that removes the vast majority of accidentally leaping the wrong way.

Oh yeah all of my poo poo was just about combat, sorry, I should have been specific. IIrc parkour seems to get incrementally better with each installment.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Ainsley McTree posted:

Worth noting that Revelations also adds a dedicated button for ranged attacks, so the hassle of constantly switching between your crossbow and melee weapons is mitigated. They also let you throw out three or four throwing knives at once, meaning you may actually use throwing knives at some point.

There's also the bombs but :effort: on bomb-making

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Worth noting that Revelations also adds a dedicated button for ranged attacks, so the hassle of constantly switching between your crossbow and melee weapons is mitigated. They also let you throw out three or four throwing knives at once, meaning you may actually use throwing knives at some point.

There's also the bombs but :effort: on bomb-making

i love how much gimmick poo poo was in revelations. it felt like(may have been) a giant expansion. it was still alright.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sindai posted:

Comic tie-ins, where bad writers go to die.

fixed

edit: I've seen so many people over the past 10+ years with AC tattoos, and I'm kinda glad the games are good again so they don't have to be QUITE so embarrassed

precision fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 17, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

precision posted:

fixed

edit: I've seen so many people over the past 10+ years with AC tattoos, and I'm kinda glad the games are good again so they don't have to be QUITE so embarrassed

same. i never thought the series went fully bad, but they did have some dark patches(3 and unity).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I got Unity for free and actually enjoyed it but that was after a million patches. The story is really bland tho

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I picked it up for extremely cheap in a steam sale and I wanna revisit it, because I think part of my problem with it was that I was that between brotherhood > black flag, I was expecting it to be another chain-killing murder extravaganza, but it wasn't that at all. Now that my expectations are in the right place maybe I'll like it more (also I never played the DLC).

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

exquisite tea posted:

I'm hoping that Ubi will improve the performance optimization for Odyssey, or at least allow users to offload certain effects onto the GPU if it's another highly CPU-intensive game.

nah they are going to gently caress it up with retarded drm thats just a given

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

precision posted:

I got Unity for free and actually enjoyed it but that was after a million patches. The story is really bland tho

idk. ill try it again someday.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/08/17/15-random-tidbits-about-assassins-creed-odyssey