Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I've been looking for a new phone for a while (s6 currently) and the Essential looks good. How long will it get updates for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

IMJack posted:

The vibration in my moto x4 is hosed. Can I get something like a bluetooth silent ring/alarm device or am I stuck replacing the phone?

Mi band 2.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018

Google Butt posted:

I've been looking for a new phone for a while (s6 currently) and the Essential looks good. How long will it get updates for?

The company is dead in the water but has been delivering timely updates, roll the dice.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

nimper posted:

6P camera is not Pixel 2 level but it's actually pretty good.

I meant how is the Essential Phone's camera compared to the Nexus 6P's.

I have a 6P, but dust from work has gotten in between the camera lens and glass top and has ruined any photos I want to take.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

the cases for the essential are straight up rear end drat

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Essential Phone Case, OEAGO Essential... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077T1YKTL?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

That's the one I got and it's very slim, has good texturing on grippy bits and doesn't moosh the nice action on volume buttons to much.

If I was a betting man I'd say the Pie upgrade is probably the last point release this device sees but it'll continue to get security patches and intermittent updates to the camera app. Heck I got one down the pipe yesterday which is cool.

It boils down to the relative level of "my gripe with what I have is X" and your budget to address that level of gripe within the constraints of the hypothetical device.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 17, 2018

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Synnr posted:

Does anyone know how the hell you get to the apps... Drawer? Or whatever it's called in Android 9? I updated this morning and loving hate it already. I feel like my father right now.

Swipe up twice.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

OhFunny posted:

I meant how is the Essential Phone's camera compared to the Nexus 6P's.

I have a 6P, but dust from work has gotten in between the camera lens and glass top and has ruined any photos I want to take.

I used to have a 6P and now I have an Essential phone. PH-1 photos are noticeably worse in low light, but you can get some decent shots in the right conditions.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Android in 2018 is straight on disappointing with the number of compromises you have to make with each phone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ragingsheep posted:

Android in 2018 is straight on disappointing with the number of compromises you have to make with each phone.

Pixel 2 ftw

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

sourdough posted:

Pixel 2 ftw

Dated design and the specter of hardware issues that seems to be plaguing all Google released devices.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I got the essential, fingers crossed that the poo poo's good.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Not a big surprise but the Moto G5 series will not be updated to Android 9:

https://www.androidauthority.com/motorola-android-pie-update-895384/

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
My phone(honor 8) got updated to 8.0 and I am sorta weirded out. I'd like some hints from the experts.

1. I managed to make PiP work on Twitch(by slamming settings at random until it worked) and VLC, I cannot make it work on Chrome. Is there any magic secret toggle to set? Edit: Chrome didn't like the YouTube mobile site, it worked on the desktop one.
2. Huawei added their set of bullshit apps which have authority to add apks, is there a master toggle (like it used to on 7.0) to disable all third party sources or do i have to disable it on every app in the settings menu?
3. Battery graph is all hosed up, showing 7+ hours while the charge percentage goes down by a digit per minute, ampere seems to provide the same bullshit data. Which is the best app i can use to get a valid estimate?
4. The firmware supports Treble, I take that future firmware will still require intervention from huawei/honor to provide me with 8.1 and any future updates?

Thanks!

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 17, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Incessant Excess posted:

Not a big surprise but the Moto G5 series will not be updated to Android 9:

https://www.androidauthority.com/motorola-android-pie-update-895384/

I'm still waiting for Oreo on my G5.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

IMJack posted:

The vibration in my moto x4 is hosed. Can I get something like a bluetooth silent ring/alarm device or am I stuck replacing the phone?

elmer chud posted:

Mi band 2.
The Mi Band 3 releases very soon (next week in UK) which lets you reject calls and read notifications.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

sourdough posted:

Pixel 2 ftw

if I say headphone jack will I get probated

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Can I stop my Nokia from making the loudest noise in the world when I turn it on

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

rapeface posted:

if I say headphone jack will I get probated

I was going to say it. I'm still pissed at having to use Bluetooth like every other day.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Can I stop my Nokia from making the loudest noise in the world when I turn it on
Silence the phone before rebooting.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That really the only way? ugh.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Amppelix posted:

You could not turn it off? Other than that, probably not. Motorola's boot noise is so obnoxious they added a toggle to disable it but I don't know if Nokia did as well.

Maybe have the volume turned all the down prior to turning it off?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Amppelix posted:

That really the only way? ugh.
Yeah, it is. It's one of the few complaints you hear about them, so maybe they add the option in.
(though perhaps they see respecting silence DnD as doing this already, who knows)

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

SlowBloke posted:

4. The firmware supports Treble, I take that future firmware will still require intervention from huawei/honor to provide me with 8.1 and any future updates?

What Treble does is make it easier, in theory, to update phones. Heavily customized Android forks still require for the OEM to develop, test, and deploy the updates, which can't even begin to happen until Android releases their final version. If you're looking for quick updates to Google's version of Android your choices are still the Pixel and maybe Android One (some people would say Essential as well, but Motorola released their Kitkat update really quickly as well and we all know how every other update from them has worked out).

For OEMs with heavily customized versions of Android the main benefit of Treble would be the ease of developing their update between hardware variants such as Samsung's Snapdragon and Exynos Galaxy versions. The effect on their release schedule should be minimal.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Speaking of hardware issues or just lag in general, is it normal to have some operations randomly take 5-10 seconds, like unlocking the phone or double tapping the power button to open the camera? I always figured it was normal but I'm now starting to question it.

Edit: power button, not camera

ILikeVoltron fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 17, 2018

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
No, that shouldn't happen.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

ILikeVoltron posted:

Speaking of hardware issues or just lag in general, is it normal to have some operations randomly take 5-10 seconds, like unlocking the phone or double tapping the power button to open the camera? I always figured it was normal but I'm now starting to question it.

Maybe you need more RAM? :v:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ILikeVoltron posted:

Lag (when present) should be a couple of seconds, where its usually one, for example. And usually with a reason. If it randomly takes literally 5-10 seconds that's an issue somewhere.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://9to5google.com/2018/08/16/google-pixel-3-xl-leak-public-notch/

"With the Pixel 3, we were really setting out to top apple in *screen to bezel ratio"

*specifically iphone 4, and to have an even worse screen-bezel ratio

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

"With the Pixel 3, we were really setting out to top apple in *screen to bezel ratio"

Please, explain how this is better than just a normal bezel up top. Please, I'm begging you. Anyone.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
Hell of a deep cut.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's also just a random-rear end photo of a suspected P3XL "in the wild" which have very rarely turned out to be the case.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

codo27 posted:

Maybe they're trying to use that notch for some sort of split-screen feature.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

In all reality though, it's just like the V10/20 extra screen, but on both sides of the earpiece.

Really notches aren't really taking away from the screen, but they ruin the flow of the screens we are used to of being clean rectangles even if we are gaining some top ends to put notification bits that don't really need to eat normal screen real estate for.

Though I agree they are still ugly and I hate apple for normalizing this crap.

The Mi Mix did it right and hopefully this notch thing is only a phase. I don't see a real need to upgrade from my 2XL anytime soon short of maybe an RMA in another year or so for something like the battery or speaker rattle.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
There's also a big difference between the Pixel notch and what the latest chinaphones are doing:

Oppo R17, the likely base for the next Oneplus phone

I hope the reason Google decided to go with the enormous notch on the 3 XL is because of an improved face unlock feature, something to rival Apple's face ID.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Why would you even want face unlock. A ton of bigass sensors and a much slower unlock process compared to your fingerprint, which is super fast and reliable.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
That oppo looks immeasurably better than the pixel.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Taffer posted:

Why would you even want face unlock. A ton of bigass sensors and a much slower unlock process compared to your fingerprint, which is super fast and reliable.

I've not tried face ID myself but I was under the assumption that it was pretty snappy and reliable?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

EdEddnEddy posted:

...Really notches aren't really taking away from the screen...
Then why does the term "notch" refer to the part that is not screen? If it were thought of as more screen, the term would be "ears" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Taffer posted:

Because apple does it. At this point just assume the new features list on pixels are a copy paste of last year's iphone