Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

quote:

It seems to be tied to the type of general you/ai have. In the video the first enemy general can not be engage in 1v1 because he is a strategist. Other type of generals are able to duel at will. There seems to be at least 3 types of general, Strategists, Commanders(?), and Duelists. Your unit abilities are tied to type of general present in your army, so a strategist will bring a lot more buffs and abilities to your units, while a duelist will be more 1v1 focused.

Yeah I get that aspect, I mean in terms of how it's triggered and can be avoided. Whether you can kite around an enemy general trying to duel you, whether you can disrupt a general slaughtering your archers with a duel request, whether you can cancel out of duels if you do so before your two generals come into contact, whether you can target duelists with AOE weapons, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Fangz posted:

Yeah I get that aspect, I mean in terms of how it's triggered and can be avoided. Whether you can kite around an enemy general trying to duel you, whether you can disrupt a general slaughtering your archers with a duel request, whether you can cancel out of duels if you do so before your two generals come into contact, whether you can target duelists with AOE weapons, etc.

In one of the videos you can see the AI initiate a duel and the player is given a choice to accept or refuse, so it probably works the same way for AI. Accept/refuse will likely tie in to this whole honor/dishonor system the characters have, and maybe even unique character traits(this is my theory). You can see a retreat button from the duelling UI, but this one only appears after the duelling characters start battling each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rXG9uxtRTw&t=561s

9:20 in case the timestamp doesn't work.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Fangz posted:

Duels seem to be whenever/wherever so long as the opponent accepts, which they don’t have to. From what I’ve gathered from interviews characters can refuse duels (no idea if there’s a penalty), disengage and run from a duel they’re losing and interrupt other’s duels, both of which incur a big morale penalty to your troops in that battle and negative campaign traits for being a coward. Honorable characters that unseat their opponent will dismount themselves, whereas more villainous characters will presumably keep trying to goon their opponents with their horse. Honorable characters also don’t kill characters they defeat in a duel.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Reiterpallasch posted:

people do try and write up aspern-essling as a french win, because ?????

On the one hand, It's a good example of a Pyrrhic victory due to the fact he lost a lot of good experienced men of all ranks which is one of the major things that will bite Napoleonic France in the rear end soon. On the other hand too Nationalists are dumb as bricks.

I still think NTW is owed a good 1812 Invasion campaign and a 1813-14 OH gently caress OH gently caress INVASIONS EVERYWHERE campaign with Napoleon.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Fangz posted:

I think CA should avoid naval battles in total war games.

Same.

Amphibious battles in Rome 2 offered a potentially interesting layer to the battle maps that the AI unfortunately couldn't deliver on. Being able to land marines inside the city walls did make offensive siege battles significantly less tedious though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
CA should fix their AI's desire to flee nonstop before they consider fixing naval battles. Or just get rid of stances altogether and apply the raiding mechanic to certain units as a trait so you earn some income while on the march. Plant a stack in a forest for ambush bonuses, or do something like Pokemon and make more regions where ambushes can happen ala long grass.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Anno posted:

Honorable characters also don’t kill characters they defeat in a duel.

Huh. Note to self: when I run into Zhuge Liang, make sure to engage him with a dishonorable general who won't hesitate to take that punk's head clean off

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Arcsquad12 posted:

CA should fix their AI's desire to flee nonstop before they consider fixing naval battles. Or just get rid of stances altogether and apply the raiding mechanic to certain units as a trait so you earn some income while on the march. Plant a stack in a forest for ambush bonuses, or do something like Pokemon and make more regions where ambushes can happen ala long grass.

You could also fix a lot of the AI dodging by just limiting where you can take an army. Shogun 2, while having the same dodging behavior wasnt nearly as bad an issue because you could post armies at the river crossings and mountain passes they needed to use. Also, being able to effortlessly move through dense forests and trackless deserts is nonsense anyway.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Huh. Note to self: when I run into Zhuge Liang, make sure to engage him with a dishonorable general who won't hesitate to take that punk's head clean off

In Romance mode characters do not die permanently, like legendary lords in Warhammer, so we can expect some dudes to become recurring nightmares to fight.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I would do shameful things for a Total War with a Nemesis system :allears:

"Hey Xiahou! Last time we met you death-stomped my archers with your cavalry, so now I brought pikes! Time to take your other eye, sucker!"

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ninjahedgehog posted:

That but for the whole Shu faction. I am sure Liu Bei's head will look quite noble mounted on my walls.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you aren't hyped to play as the (benevolent) Liu Bei, then we are officially not friends.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Angry Lobster posted:

In Romance mode characters do not die permanently, like legendary lords in Warhammer, so we can expect some dudes to become recurring nightmares to fight.

I think all the videos yesterday said that they did even in Romance mode. They’re just much more resilient and won’t suffer random-arrow-in-the-eye syndrome.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Angry Lobster posted:

Where have you heard that? I think that will probably be true of faction leaders, but they played up the whole Lu Bu's last stand thing.

I mean there's a reason why the duels give you an option to take a permanent penalty on your *entire faction* to interrupt a duel with a different character, (and a permanent penalty on that character to flee the duel) they would have no weight if your guy just recovers in a few turns.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 17, 2018

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I can’t wait to shout a man to death as Zhang Fei

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ninjahedgehog posted:

bring Zhou Yu, but don't suck like he did IMO

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you aren't hyped to play as the (benevolent) Liu Bei, then we are officially not friends.

Liu Bei was a bandit and a scumbag. There I said it and meant it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Fangz posted:

Where have you heard that? I think that will probably be true of faction leaders, but they played up the whole Lu Bu's last stand thing.

I mean there's a reason why the duels give you an option to take a permanent penalty on your *entire faction* to interrupt a duel with a different character, (and a permanent penalty on that character to flee the duel) they would have no weight if your guy just recovers in a few turns.

In one of the earlier videos, it probably makes more sense this way, so maybe I'm just misremembering.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
On the campaign map video they released setting the scene for the new battle video it looks like there are dry river beds, has it been confirmed if redirecting rivers is a feature?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Senor Dog posted:

Liu Bei was a bandit and a scumbag. There I said it and meant it.

Liu Bei is probably going to be the hard mode, because his travels, story or not, doesn't tend to translate well to gameplay unless you're sheparded by events. And even then, he usually has so many enemies that the trouble is often surviving to let the story go on. We'll see, I guess.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think they need a new recruitment system for that, and Rise of Rome kind of helps there. It's got an emphasis on mercenaries, so I see less AI fleeing when I get close and more panic recruitment of mercenaries followed by them attacking. Games with auto-resolves less favorable to the player seem to result in more aggressive battles too, or at least it feels that way.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Liu Bei's thing should be that if you destroy his faction without killing him in battle he just pops up again somewhere else a few turns later.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

He should constantly betray his allies but somehow gain Honor or whatever the equivalent for this game is.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

SeanBeansShako posted:

On the one hand, It's a good example of a Pyrrhic victory due to the fact he lost a lot of good experienced men of all ranks which is one of the major things that will bite Napoleonic France in the rear end soon. On the other hand too Nationalists are dumb as bricks.

I still think NTW is owed a good 1812 Invasion campaign and a 1813-14 OH gently caress OH gently caress INVASIONS EVERYWHERE campaign with Napoleon.

NTW needs a spanish american war of independence campaign

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Trying to get back into Arena and I am not having fun. Getting flashbacks to WoT of base camping teammates, ignoring threats for easy kills, the whole thing.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
There are some major issues with arena. Mine seems to be the point of barbarians and knowing when you are flanking someone or not. You can manage to flank people in large melees where you came at each other in the same direction.

In world of tanks, you would often be teamed up against people stronger than you, but you could work with allies or hunt the weaker people on the other team. In arena, it seems more rock paper scissors where you just will not have a good match up and fleeing often isn't a good choice.

Also every artillery person is a cancer on the team who wants one other person to watch their back, so you will have 2-4 people not in the front engagement meaning you lose.

I've tried to like arena but I just can't.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The only thing I want to know is: will the yellow turbans be playable? And if so in romance mode will I have literal magic to blow people up?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NewMars posted:

The only thing I want to know is: will the yellow turbans be playable? And if so in romance mode will I have literal magic to blow people up?

Mandatory post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF-MDuXXiSI

I can only dream for such an earnest voice acting in the game.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If not somebody will do a mod for Workshop for it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mantis42 posted:

He should constantly betray his allies but somehow gain Honor or whatever the equivalent for this game is.

Warhammer has a lord that runs that way. IIRC he gets public order for breaking treaties and battle map buffs if he retreats from an attack and then engages the army he ran from.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

NTW needs a spanish american war of independence campaign

I want a Rise of the Caudillos game that goes from like 1800-1880 and somehow manages to do a good job with things like religion and mixed populations, with a super detailed central and South America map. Also the Caribbean.

And it's WH2s engine but it plays like napoleon

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Frog Act posted:

I want a Rise of the Caudillos game that goes from like 1800-1880 and somehow manages to do a good job with things like religion and mixed populations, with a super detailed central and South America map. Also the Caribbean.

And it's WH2s engine but it plays like napoleon

where do I buy this

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

where does calling down lightning on your enemies fall on the 'honour scale'?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

jfood posted:

where does calling down lightning on your enemies fall on the 'honour scale'?

extreme example of filial piety, good for honor

serious note though it would own loving bones of the honorable path was all suboptimal choices to represent the political agenda being pushed by romance of the 3 kingdoms. Betraying your friend because he's going against the wishes of your father? GOOD. Promoting an illeterate peasant to be your bodyguard because hes 6 foot 20 and valorous in combat? :mediocre:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Beamed posted:

where do I buy this

Sadly in our dreams for now.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, and I really doubt such a game would be in CA's scope. At best we might get a more developed Latin America in an Empire 2 that would cover part of that period.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I hope when Empire 2 rolls around they at least consider having more than one model for ships marines.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Empire 2 should be Victoria 1 and should ditch the grand campaign for a set of mini-campaigns.

Prussia map featuring Prussia, Austria, Denmark, and France, American Civil War map feauturing the USA, CSA, Britain, and Mexico, Africa map featuring Britain, Zulu, France, Abysinnia, Sokoto, and Germany

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

this thread accurately predicted total war of the three kingdoms happening and considering how often the idea of Victoria Total War where it's just a bunch of mini campaigns comes up there prolly some did from CA who reads this thread with a note pad like 👀👀👀

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm still sort of vaguely hoping for some spin off's just using the Fall of The Samurai Shogun 2 build assuming they've not lost the code/documentation for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

no joke CA would finally have good naval combat if they just took the model from FOTS and applied the limited number of navies/armies mechanic. It would pretty much take away the whole "swarm of gun boats you need to always fight" problem. Also limit the tech tree to buffs and new ships, tearing through wooden boat navies with explosive shells is fun, but not exactly good balance.