Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Also Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations we're both bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sonic racing games are good.
This I'm not looking forward to the new one, they took out both the all Stars and the transforming.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

DLC Inc posted:

Sonic games are incredibly badly designed games in general. Even the 2D games of old lured you into thinking you gotta go fast yet the game makes every conceivable effort to break your momentum or surprise you with bullshit spikes and traps.

This was my complaint about Sonic ever since I was a kid, until like last year when I realized

Policenaut posted:

Going fast in Classic Sonic is the reward for having figured out the stage, so you know that the bumper is there or the monster drops down at this place and so on.

Sonic games are literally designed to appeal to the same time of person that likes speedrunning.

They're speedrunning games.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why is it so hard for Sega to make a 3D Sonic game? Just make Mario 64 or Crash Bandicoot, double the run speed, and put loops in it.

They actually got the process down worth the very first level of Sonic Adventure, but then just continuously hosed it up ever since.

Going fast in 3D is hard to control (all the cool stuff in that first level of Sonic Adventure is p much on rails) and it's probably a bummer to invest in high-quality geometry and textures just so players can see it in a blur as they zip past it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

FTFY

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Really enjoying ThisIsACoolGuy casually posting about how much fun they're having beating the two biggest sticking-point bosses in Hollow Knight, given complaint after complaint about those two exact bosses itt over the past few weeks.

Traitor Lord will be his breaking point.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

The cannon doesn't even shoot and the background looks like GameCube up-rezzed in Dolphin smh

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It’s possible the recoil sent the gun back into an upright position, but it does look like they just cheaped out on the animation.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/WEEGEETHEGOD/status/1026169292637790209

acksplode posted:

Going fast in 3D is hard to control (all the cool stuff in that first level of Sonic Adventure is p much on rails) and it's probably a bummer to invest in high-quality geometry and textures just so players can see it in a blur as they zip past it.

Yeah, I recall reading some time ago that it costs a very large sum of money to make just one Modern Sonic stage so that's why games like Unleashed had the Werehog eat up so much time. People said Day Sonic was the best part of Unleashed so Sega shrugged and went okay and made Colors which is like a 5 hour long game but it's all speedy platforming.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I just sold my used copy of Octopath Traveler for more than I paid for it brand new, lol. This is why I always get AAA games physical.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

John Lee posted:

This was my complaint about Sonic ever since I was a kid, until like last year when I realized

Sonic games are literally designed to appeal to the same time of person that likes speedrunning.

They're speedrunning games.

That may be, but I was surprised even Sonic Mania retains the same design ethos of "let's maximize how much this will piss you off by putting a thing right here lol" because it's 2017 and you shouldn't have to rely on cheap "gotcha" moments as you're zipping along, though. It just happens sooooooo often.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Sonic Advance was good!

The physics of Sonic Advance actually made me feel like it was a platformer and not slippery and loose like the other games. The art style was really great, too.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Only good part about Sonic games are the tunes.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Frankston posted:

I just sold my used copy of Octopath Traveler for more than I paid for it brand new, lol. This is why I always get AAA games physical.

i obught destiny for ps3 for like £6 then sold it on for like £8. i basically got paid £2 to play that game and i still feel ripped off

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

It's almost like there are 700 pokemon now and animation costs money

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
too many games coming out and i am jobless

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Improbable Lobster posted:

I don't care about that, it's still lame and looks lovely

We're consumers not project managers

E: also this lololol

The Kins posted:

Isn't Let's Go only using the original 151?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

DLC Inc posted:

That may be, but I was surprised even Sonic Mania retains the same design ethos of "let's maximize how much this will piss you off by putting a thing right here lol" because it's 2017 and you shouldn't have to rely on cheap "gotcha" moments as you're zipping along, though. It just happens sooooooo often.

I felt like Mania was way better about this sort of thing overall. I tried playing Sonic 2 and after a point, it seemed like every single straightaway or slightly speedy section in that game had spikes or enemies in the way. Then again, I got really into Mania for a while and was actually learning the level layouts so maybe I just remember too many ways to avoid taking damage while going fast.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

Isn't Let's Go only using the original 151?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

There's no way it won't also include all of the rest of the pokemon in the game too so you can play with them once you beat the Elite 4.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Is Let's Go using the models from the last 3DS game? Weren't those super detailed so they could be reused?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Fair enough

It still looks really bad and unappealing. Kinda like how some people think mhxx looks horrendous. I think it looks fine and there's REASONS as to why it looks the way it does, but I can see why it could and definitely will turn off a lot of people

That said Pokemon will probably still sell just fine. The more they show though, the more i feel like it's not looking all that hot.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm glad there's a bet on what will break me in hollow knight. I'll make sure to do my best :shobon:/

Also Let's Go is just a remake of yellow, there's no way in hell there's going to be the other 700 or whatever pokemon in it. It's just 151 as they said.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

That's not a fair comparison. Pokemon Stadium was built around the idea of a 3D Poekmon game, Let's Go is built around the idea of a simple remake of those lovely old games that only had like 100 Pokemon and the only animation was twitching the picture slighlty

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It's a shame that indie studio game freak doesn't have the resources to animate so many different creatures

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Maybe there's an option to turn battle animations off hmm

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Ignite Memories posted:

It's a shame that indie studio game freak doesn't have the resources to animate so many different creatures

The games always feel really cheap for how much money they make.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's not a fair comparison. Pokemon Stadium was built around the idea of a 3D Poekmon game, Let's Go is built around the idea of a simple remake of those lovely old games that only had like 100 Pokemon and the only animation was twitching the picture slighlty

What gives you the impression that let's go isn't meant to be a 3D Pokemon game?

Also we're talking about the 64 my dude...that console is over 20 years old. I'm not sure I buy your reasoning here

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Or it kinda looked like a bug to me

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm pretty sure those Double Kick animations are from the 3DS games too but it's still not the best comparison because there are a lot of properly animated moves in Pokemon, especially if the move is more unique to a single pokemon. If the attack is more generic and shared among more than a couple pokemon, you usually see a few different attack animations for a pokemon with a variety of background effects and colors added to them. I can't imagine the time and effort it would take to make 800+ pokemon all have fully unique animations for every single move they can learn, and you'll still have plenty of people who turn the animations off to speed up the gameplay.

The Pikachu example here is definitely one of the lazier examples in the series, but it's probably not indicative of the whole game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Being real it probably is. The pokemon usually either

A) Just have their model hop and down while a attack is played and that's it

B) They have a canned physical attack animation and a special attack animation that plays while a special effect appears near them and fires at the enemy.

There's really no excuse aside from they're insanely lazy but judging by the rest of Let's Go it's really not a surprise. Only thing I can think of is that it's insanely low effort because if they make complex animations for the 151 in the game then "oh poo poo we have to do it for all the others next gen" so they didn't.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 17, 2018

RME
Feb 20, 2012

FPzero posted:

There's no way it won't also include all of the rest of the pokemon in the game too so you can play with them once you beat the Elite 4.

lol it'll include at most whatever is in pokemon go so far and nothing more

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Blossom Tales is on sale.

I wish Celeste was on sale.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Wendell posted:

Blossom Tales is on sale.

I wish Celeste was on sale.

Celeste is easily worth full price

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

FPzero posted:

you don't know what you're talking about

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Does anybody in this thread?

Answer: Wa haa ha!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

FPzero posted:

That's what 2019 Pokemon is going to be. let's go is just the tip.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man gently caress hollow knight, why you gotta be like this :smith:

Just got the dream nail and was wondering where I should head off to next. Oh should go visit my mining bug friend and see if she found anything... :(

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It’s called Hollow Knight because of the hollow feeling it leaves in your heart.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man gently caress hollow knight, why you gotta be like this :smith:

Just got the dream nail and was wondering where I should head off to next. Oh should go visit my mining bug friend and see if she found anything... :(

RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The first level of Sonic Adventure 2 is the only good 3D Sonic product

• Locked thread