Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Inept posted:

:chloe: they started filming that when the actress was 17

And? What's your point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Oh man Seattle area tree chat. After our local elites reach the pinnacles of their careers, bought expensive houses, and got the kids into private schools, they immediately spend all their time and energy suing each other and the city over tree height.

One of our NIMBYiest of NIMBY neighborhoods is Innis Arden. This community was founded by aerospace tycoon William Boeing, who set up housing covenants to forbid any houses being "sold, conveyed, rented, or leased in whole or in part to any person not of the White or Caucasian race." While clearly unenforceable for decades, to give you a sense of their priorities Innis Arden only got around to removing this language in 2006.

So Innis Arden has a habit of placing their property values above all else. Most recently this means:

quote:

Beginning nearly 30 years ago in the Innis Arden neighborhood of Shoreline, homeowners were guaranteed unimpeded views of Puget Sound and the Olympic Peninsula. They also had the right to petition a neighbor to remove trees that block that view.

Fast forward to today, as the city of Shoreline is in the process of revising its tree code to improve the environmental quality of life. Trees absorb stormwater runoff, provide economic and aesthetic improvement, and absorb carbon dioxide that causes global warming.

Of course they support protecting the environment... oh what's that? It might lower my house value by .01%? Well, better spend years suing the city.

quote:

However, big trees have been the ones creating a stir in Innis Arden. In 1981, a tree height amendment was added to the community’s view covenant, mandating that trees be no taller than the owner’s rooflines. If so, an uphill neighbor can petition for an offending tree to be pruned, topped or brought down in order to preserve views.

Peter Eglick, the Innis Arden’s outside counselor, said in a recent letter to the City Council that “while it is beyond dispute in light of judicial decisions extending over 25 years that views… are integral to Innis Arden, the (Tree Code) proposals persist in refusing to acknowledge view preservation as a factor in tree regulation.”

Eglick cited the economic benefits of views for the residents of Innis Arden, in that views “substantially” enhance property values and noted the undermining effect trees have with the enjoyment of views.

https://www.heraldnet.com/uncategorized/innis-arden-objects-to-city-tree-code/

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I kind of want a midwestern sequoia now.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Guinness posted:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/homeowners-to-pay-settle-seattle-lawsuit-over-cutting-public-trees/

loving with trees, especially trees that aren't yours (but even ones that are in some places), is VERY Bad With Money
I got super pissed over that one, as they really should have been charged criminally, and got away paying way less than they should have had to. Should have settled for well into the seven figures in exchange for not sending them to loving prison.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh man Seattle area tree chat. After our local elites reach the pinnacles of their careers, bought expensive houses, and got the kids into private schools, they immediately spend all their time and energy suing each other and the city over tree height.

One of our NIMBYiest of NIMBY neighborhoods is Innis Arden. This community was founded by aerospace tycoon William Boeing, who set up housing covenants to forbid any houses being "sold, conveyed, rented, or leased in whole or in part to any person not of the White or Caucasian race." While clearly unenforceable for decades, to give you a sense of their priorities Innis Arden only got around to removing this language in 2006.

So Innis Arden has a habit of placing their property values above all else. Most recently this means:

Of course they support protecting the environment... oh what's that? It might lower my house value by .01%? Well, better spend years suing the city.

https://www.heraldnet.com/uncategorized/innis-arden-objects-to-city-tree-code/

They deserve to lose their homes in a landslide because they removed all the trees downhill of their precious investments and allowed for rainfall to destabilize the ground.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Panfilo posted:

In regards to adopting, there is a federal adoption assistance program which provides a monthly check to cover expenses well into 18-20ish years of age. Not only that, but fost adopted medically fragile children get more money as well as Medi - Cal or equivalent in that state to cover medical expenses. If the older parents die or are too old to care for the children then social workers will try to find next of kin able to take them in, but if they do not have the space or the financial security then the social workers will find other qualified fost adopt families (this varies a bit by state too). It's one of the reasons that foster adoption is one of the best ways to adopt- much of the child's expenses will already be covered by the state anyway.

Depending on the bio sibling's relationships with the adopted kids, just leaving them high and dry is kind of hosed up. True it isn't their responsibility, but if those adopted children had bonded with them for years only to discover they'd rather not have anything to do with people that aren't their flesh and blood it can be a traumatic experience for them.

Yep -- a reminder that Tarpman of the Y'all Qaeda was making $115,343 a year from fostering eight kids. (And lost that after the kids were taken away because he was participating in an armed occupation of federal property).

quote:

“That was my main source of income,” Finicum said. “My ranch, well, the cows just cover the costs of the ranch. If this means rice and beans for the next few years, so be it. We’re going to stay the course.”

https://www.opb.org/news/series/bur...m-burns-oregon/

(I mean, he also wrote fiction in which his obvious self-insert had gun battles with FBI agents, then got himself killed trying to do that in real life, so he was kind of BWL. But also BWM.)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Thanatosian posted:

I got super pissed over that one, as they really should have been charged criminally, and got away paying way less than they should have had to. Should have settled for well into the seven figures in exchange for not sending them to loving prison.

This is pretty infuriating, but I imagine that a federal district court judge is kinda hard to prosecute, both for his knowledge of the justice system, and for his connections.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Lead out in cuffs posted:

This is pretty infuriating, but I imagine that a federal district court judge is kinda hard to prosecute, both for his knowledge of the justice system, and for his connections.

I was actually talking about the other case, that happened just a couple of years ago, where it was just a bunch of rich, white homeowners cutting down trees on public land.

But the judge one is definitely infuriating, too.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Nocheez posted:

Whoah. I have some seriously old trees in my back yard that are going to have to come down at some point before they are a hazard, and I thought I was going to have to pay someone to get them. It looks like someone might be paying me for the pleasure.
It's unlikely you'll make money off the endeavor, unless you have like a 100 year old black walnut. But my parents are losing all their 60-70 year old white oaks to a disease and have taken down ~20 in the past decade. They have a guy that will drop them and take the trunks for processing, clean up the ones that fall on the yard, and leave the limbs for firewood. He doesn't charge, but he doesn't pay either.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

TrueChaos posted:

GWM: buying an old BMW, doing all the preventative maintenance it needs, and enjoying driving the hell out of it.

This is from pages ago but jesus christ DO NOT BUY AN OLD BMW. Everything is bespoke and German and hella expensive. They're always, always, always hosed up from the PO because no one cared to take care of the idiot mechanical injection system and Lord have mercy if you ever get one ~carb converted~

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

autism ZX spectrum posted:

This is from pages ago but jesus christ DO NOT BUY AN OLD BMW. Everything is bespoke and German and hella expensive. They're always, always, always hosed up from the PO because no one cared to take care of the idiot mechanical injection system and Lord have mercy if you ever get one ~carb converted~
Actually, buy a V8 powered three series BMW.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
As long as you're cool with $3k maintenance bills at 180k km intervals, a buddy used his re-mortgaging equity to buy a used M series v8 and it was juuuust prior to its service interval. The valves (4 per cylinder) were all lifted via worm gears and then a chain drove the whole mechanism. He'd torn apart Hondas his whole life, how hard could it be? Dude crumbled when he lifted the hood and saw the v8 jammed impossibly into the space.

edit: possessive isn't plural

autism ZX spectrum fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 18, 2018

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

As long as you're cool with $3k maintenance bills at 180k km intervals, a buddy used his re-mortgaging equity to buy a used M series v8 and it was juuuust prior to its service interval. The valves (4 per cylinder) were all lifted via worm gears and then a chain drove the whole mechanism. He'd torn apart Honda's his whole life, how hard could it be? Dude crumbled when he lifted the hood and saw the v8 jammed impossibly into the space.

Yeah, those come out the front, not the top and yes you often need to remove them for things. Same as a 911/Cayman/Boxster, but you poop those out the bottom. It's DIY-able, if your idea of car DIY is like mine: own a lift.

That's not a driveway DIY maintenance car.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

As long as you're cool with $3k maintenance bills at 180k km intervals,

As otherwise inadvisably expensive as owning a BMW would normally be, $3k in maintenance popping up every ~110k miles doesn't sound like the worst experience in terms of cash drain.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
It's honestly not awful if you're making enough money. The gas mileage sucks for a car of its size, a lot of warranties will stipulate you use some crazy expensive motor oil and you can add $30 to every hour of shop time for any work you get done because it's a European performance car.

GWM: buying up wrecked BMWs of similar type/model year and using them for parts

BWM: Remortgaging your house through some private lender, using the money they "gave" you to buy an M-Class sight unseen in Toronto then driving it back to WInnipeg only to discover the valves are ticking and the radiator leaks.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Fostering a child and adopting a child over the age of 6 is usually classed as special needs (even in there is no medical or paycheck reason it's just how the state defines it). Children classed as this that are adopted from the state will typically get medicaid until they are 20 unless the adoptive parents waive it, the social workers heavily push that you keep them on medicaid.
Alongside that you do get some federal and state funding until they are 18.

Point being adopting from foster care has a ton of benefits for you and the children

(Please foster and adopt the kids need you and we are trying again next year)

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 18, 2018

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

gvibes posted:

I kind of want a midwestern sequoia now.

We tried planting one we bought in SF but it died the first winter

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Eglick cited the economic benefits of views for the residents of Innis Arden, in that views “substantially” enhance property values and noted the undermining effect trees have with the enjoyment of views.
Oh nooooo, they might see trees instead of whatever precious view they probably only barely notice in passing. :rolleyes:

e: A quick Google Maps tour makes me think they can't see their view most of the time anyway, given how many bushes and hedges and poo poo are surrounding every house.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 18, 2018

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

When serial "entrepreneurship" meets hoarding

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

As long as you're cool with $3k maintenance bills at 180k km intervals, a buddy used his re-mortgaging equity to buy a used M series v8 and it was juuuust prior to its service interval. The valves (4 per cylinder) were all lifted via worm gears and then a chain drove the whole mechanism. He'd torn apart Hondas his whole life, how hard could it be? Dude crumbled when he lifted the hood and saw the v8 jammed impossibly into the space.

edit: possessive isn't plural

An E90 M3 is not the same as a run of the mill E36 or E46 3-series. The former will indeed have an 'M' tax, most BMWs won't. My E36 was the cheapest car I've owned, both per month and per mile. You can't just buy one of the high-performance, extremely expensive models and then complain when the maintenance is expensive.

Unfortunately since about the mid-2000s their quality has been slipping and they've made some stupid engineering choices, but nothing worse than most other manufacturers.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

SpelledBackwards posted:

As otherwise inadvisably expensive as owning a BMW would normally be, $3k in maintenance popping up every ~110k miles doesn't sound like the worst experience in terms of cash drain.

Yeah I blinked a couple times thinking "only three grand after that distance?" That's not bad at all.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Friendly reminder e46's are considered old now. I picked an 03 3series up for 2700USD with only 87k miles on it, did about 700$ in parts worth of deferred maintenance, and have since put 25000 miles on it trouble free. I can barely find a civic at that price point and similar year around here. It's honestly not been any worse cost wise than anything else I've owned.

M cars are going to cost a lot. Outside of that? Not really.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Everyone here is letting the "trees over the money" people off way too loving easy.

If horse people are going to get annihilated, then tree people deserve worse.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Blinkman987 posted:

Everyone here is letting the "trees over the money" people off way too loving easy.

Trees don't die if they break a leg or eat too much wet grass or see an ant.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Blinkman987 posted:

:agreed:

The tree cutting guy at least has the excuse that he didn't know it would cost him 650K...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ain't never heard of a tree hoarder.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Blinkman987 posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest 'trees over money' people either don't need the money or are putting together a risk assessment in their brains that tells them they're far more likely to get their eventual trees than money. Even a court judgement doesn't mean you're getting paid.

Also, they masturbate to Ferngully.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ain't never heard of a tree hoarder.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

One of the posts, it sounded like the monetary award would be way less than it would cost to have trees transplanted. If choosing the trees fucks the neighbor over more than the cash, I could understand choosing the option that makes them sell the farm as a huge "gently caress you".

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

If you get replacement trees maybe someone will cut those down too and then you can bankrupt another view-seeking prick

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

TrueChaos posted:

Friendly reminder e46's are considered old now. I picked an 03 3series up for 2700USD with only 87k miles on it, did about 700$ in parts worth of deferred maintenance, and have since put 25000 miles on it trouble free. I can barely find a civic at that price point and similar year around here. It's honestly not been any worse cost wise than anything else I've owned.

M cars are going to cost a lot. Outside of that? Not really.

Oh gently caress that's right, early 00s cars are getting old now. MY FRIEND once bought a 1978 320i, and it would have been thousands of dollars of custom work to unfuck it/source parts so that's where I was coming from.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

When serial "entrepreneurship" meets hoarding

holy poo poo

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest 'trees over money' people either don't need the money or are putting together a risk assessment in their brains that tells them they're far more likely to get their eventual trees than money. Even a court judgement doesn't mean you're getting paid.

The tree replacement money and the judgement money are the same money...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BMan posted:

The tree replacement money and the judgement money are the same money...

Maybe, maybe not. If the defendant has cash flow issues then it'd be easier for them to buy your new trees on credit than pulling $10k in cash off a credit card. I feel like you are marginally more likely to get the trees than the currency in a circumstance where you aren't certain if you can get either.

In a scenario where the tree chopper has an abundance of cash and a dearth of sense then by all means, take the money.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
No the way it would work is you get an estimate for the replacement cost or for the lumber cost. Either way, guy writes you a check and walks away. It's now up to you to use that cash to acquire the new trees or keep it. It's like if your car gets totalled by someone else. You don't HAVE to buy a new car with the money.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Buying trees is good though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You're operating under the assumption any rear end in a top hat who would chop down a neighbor's tree isn't underwater on his home loan with the net assets of a gnat.

I'm operating under the assumption that I'm going to have to put liens on everything this guy owns and I might as well get something out of it before I inevitably have to start paying people to serve this guy at his workplace. We've seen a couple of examples that worked out surprisingly well for the people losing their trees, but in reality this is like getting a judgement from the uninsured motorist.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Subjunctive posted:

Buying trees is good though.

What more is there? Planting a tree is a promise you make to the future.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Learning about tree law is like learning about the law enforcement side of the US Postal Service.

Before learning:
:) Trees have laws? That's nice // Post Office has law enforcement? My mail carrier is nice. :)

After learning
:stare: Do not gently caress with trees // Do not gently caress with the USPS :stonk:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I’ve never worked with a tree contractor, but I assume they don’t ask for title insurance and a survey when they chop down trees, but I assume they would be generally knowledgable about local tree ordinances?

This would be terrifying for a tree contractor that wasn’t judgement-proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
[setting up world's easiest alley-oop]

OK so it's bad to get a NEW BMW, and it's also bad to get an old BMW.

When is it GWM to get a BMW!!