Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Austria felix nube
Mar 17, 2017

Bella gerant alii, tu Austria felix nube.
Regarding refinements on the Dungeon World engine, there's Worlds of Adventure (still under development), which is a more streamlined Dungeon World hack.

It still has the multi-stat Defy Danger move (which is clunky) and damage dice, but otherwise it seems to be a solid improvement all around.

Pollyanna posted:

Dungeon World games are otherwise typical D&D, which I don’t mind at all.

That's cool if you like it, but I can't really wrap my head around it. Lots of D&D's tropes seem to be silly system idiosincrasies that people internalized over the years. Why would one suffer such goofiness once the system no longer imposes it? Re-skinning Apocalypse World (or just using AW Fallen Empires, in which Vincent himself already did the fantasy re-skinning) seems like a better way to take advantage of PbtA's strong points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Austria felix nube posted:

That's cool if you like it, but I can't really wrap my head around it. Lots of D&D's tropes seem to be silly system idiosincrasies that people internalized over the years. Why would one suffer such goofiness once the system no longer imposes it? Re-skinning Apocalypse World (or just using AW Fallen Empires, in which Vincent himself already did the fantasy re-skinning) seems like a better way to take advantage of PbtA's strong points.

What tropes and idiosyncrasies do we mean here? I’m speaking of the classical D&D motivation: dungeon diving and questing for treasure and glory in a fantasy world where fantastical creatures and entities are everywhere ala TAZ or Critical Role. The sandbox, basically. d20s and AC and classical stats and whatever I don’t actually give a drat about. And there’s stuff I don’t really care for in D&D or DW either, like the long journey rules or the followers ‘n poo poo.

I think I’ll check out Fallen Empires - it might be a good fit!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Pollyanna posted:

...there’s just something I like about Dungeon World and its relatively gritty, more dungeon-y sandbox-y nature. Scratches a different itch.
Now that you've read Apocalypse World, would you be interested in seeing the re-skinned playbooks I've done to run AW in a medieval fantasy world? If so, drop an e-mail address here and I'll send you the lot of them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

What tropes and idiosyncrasies do we mean here? I’m speaking of the classical D&D motivation: dungeon diving and questing for treasure and glory in a fantasy world where fantastical creatures and entities are everywhere ala TAZ or Critical Role. The sandbox, basically. d20s and AC and classical stats and whatever I don’t actually give a drat about. And there’s stuff I don’t really care for in D&D or DW either, like the long journey rules or the followers ‘n poo poo.

I think I’ll check out Fallen Empires - it might be a good fit!

The ones I can list off of the top of my head are XP (instead of just periodic leveling) and HP (instead of Harm).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah XP isn’t that great and HP i haven’t run face-first into yet so I don’t recall what the problem with it is. Is it just the 1hp fine, 0hp dead thing?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Xelkelvos posted:

is it weird that I think the MtG colors could be used as stats for a PbtA-type game? White for protecting/defending/healing, Blue for Intuiting/Avoiding, Black for Bargaining/Sneaking, Red for Destroying, and Green for Physicality/Mana stuff.

Idk wtf one would do for Playbooks other than maybe Spirit of '77 style two part Playbooks or some sort of modular mini-playbooks that could be continuously stacked on each other in some way.

I kinda like MTG colour-stats.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

spectralent posted:

I kinda like MTG colour-stats.

WotC did a lot to really define what the colors represent. There's a few gaps, I think, that aren't represented by any color (other than working with Artifice), but that's usually solved by finding something similar that is covered and stretching it. The other side, which is more interesting is where colors overlap and how it's possible to do the same things, but under different methods and end goals.

As an example: Hurting someone can be accomplished with three different colors with three different intents. Black aims to injure, regardless of cost. You WILL deal harm, but it might cost you. Red aims to break. You WILL break something, but others might get caught up in it. Green is largely a show of force. You MIGHT deal harm, but you're not risking much if you fail other than maybe a bruised ego. Avoiding harm is also something that can be accomplished with three colors. Green is a show of endurance. You WILL get hit, but you might be strong enough to take it. White is about protection. You WILL get hit, but you can at least make sure nothing else is in harm's way. Blue is straight avoidance. You MIGHT not get hit, but there a chance that you or someone else will take it also.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Xelkelvos posted:

WotC did a lot to really define what the colors represent. There's a few gaps, I think, that aren't represented by any color (other than working with Artifice), but that's usually solved by finding something similar that is covered and stretching it. The other side, which is more interesting is where colors overlap and how it's possible to do the same things, but under different methods and end goals.

As an example: Hurting someone can be accomplished with three different colors with three different intents. Black aims to injure, regardless of cost. You WILL deal harm, but it might cost you. Red aims to break. You WILL break something, but others might get caught up in it. Green is largely a show of force. You MIGHT deal harm, but you're not risking much if you fail other than maybe a bruised ego. Avoiding harm is also something that can be accomplished with three colors. Green is a show of endurance. You WILL get hit, but you might be strong enough to take it. White is about protection. You WILL get hit, but you can at least make sure nothing else is in harm's way. Blue is straight avoidance. You MIGHT not get hit, but there a chance that you or someone else will take it also.

Maybe you have a selection of options but one's auto pick depending on colour, or something?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

spectralent posted:

Maybe you have a selection of options but one's auto pick depending on colour, or something?

Take the option(s) for the color(s) used for the spell. On a 10+ choose 2. On a 7-9 choose 1.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I really like the idea of MTG colors as stats. Somehow, they seem to fit well.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Trying to carefully study your opponent’s attacks, synthesize that information into a pattern you can exploit, and dodge out of the way of the next attack is at least three distinct actions. That’s too much at once - I’d interpret this as trying to exercise your perceptive abilities under pressure and call for +Wisdom. Then, depending on that, you might be able to understand what happens and get a chance at moving out of the way.

tl;dr: That action’s too big. I’d break it up.

That kind of granularity is more of a D&Dism than a PBTA thing. Apocalypse World tends to promote drilling down as much as is narratively interesting and no more.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

malkav11 posted:

That kind of granularity is more of a D&Dism than a PBTA thing. Apocalypse World tends to promote drilling down as much as is narratively interesting and no more.

Okay, then :rolldice: let's say it's dex.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Xelkelvos posted:

This sounds a lot like approaches in fate accelerated.

And going back to my earlier post about dw, it's mostly rolling damage and hp. For enemies I got around it buy just abstracting away hp from monsters and using debilities as a work around for consequences for players.

Defy danger and the lack of non combat moves was also an issue. It didn't seem right to use parley when trying to fast talk not currently hostile people.

One thing I really like about dw is the volume of awesome and especially that they differ from the standard fighter, mage, thief standards . I think I have everything gnome ever put out.

One change I did, and I'm not sure if it's just me miss-remembering the rule, or if I got it from here, was that I let the players spout lore, not me. On a 10+ their lore is true, on a partial, a part of what they said is in some way not true.

With fellowship, is there a way to do more of a sandbox style game, or is it always played in opposition to some big bad?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah XP isn’t that great and HP i haven’t run face-first into yet so I don’t recall what the problem with it is. Is it just the 1hp fine, 0hp dead thing?

This response is a bit late, but personally the main problem with HP is the randomness of damage. If nothing else, damage clocks just tell you that you can take five or six actual solid hits until something goes down. You can't do that with HP in Dungeon World given the extreme variance of damage dice, and rolling to see if you got brought down to 11/12 HP or 4/12 HP just isn't as connected to the fiction as rolling to see if that hit jarred your gun out of your hand in other PBTA games.

EDIT:

Demon_Corsair posted:

With fellowship, is there a way to do more of a sandbox style game, or is it always played in opposition to some big bad?

There needs to be some kind of big bad encroaching threat you're acting against. You can get abstract with it and you don't need to be 100% fighting against said encroaching threat at all times, but the entire structure of the game as it currently stands is built around having some kind of overlord and their evil minions.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 19, 2018

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Fellowship is very sandboxy, though. The potatoes of the game is traveling to different communities and gaining Fellowship with them, making your party more powerful. The players are generally at the helm as to where and what they want to do unless you present them with a big red button that says "KILL OVERLORD" (a la Lord of the Rings).

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It probably wouldn't be exceptionally hard to replace the Overlord with some sort of nebulous "powers of darkness" that are causing bad stuff to happen. The Overlord has armies and generals that attack friendly towns, grab powerful places and objects, and generally cause havoc; just make those things the result of various independent bad guys being bad for no reason (instead of one Big Bad Guy with a Big Bad Plan) and you've got every D&D game ever. You'd probably want to rewrite the Overlord sheet, and it'd certainly lose something in the process since one of the coolest things about Fellowship is the players' relationships and interactions with the Overlord himself, but you could do it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's nothing to say that the Overlord can't be some nebulous force of nature or something, but to do something more complex like a war between multiple nations where there's no clear bad guy requires a bit of tinkering. Multiple Overlords is one option and one I want to try out at a future point after getting some DMing of Fellowship base under my belt.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

xiw posted:

The other biggest problem for me with DW is the damage rolls - they're super swingy and can lead to drawn-out anticlimatic fights if you roll a lot of 1s and especially if the opponents have armor. Rolling 10+ to hack and slash and then 1 damage gets really old fast. Sure you can go creative and bypass hp etc but it would be nice if the base 'fight monsters with weapons' move was smoother.

It's basically just imported D&D hit roll granularity into a game engine that would much prefer you resolved fighter-vs-orc with a single roll and then had a different move for drawn out boss fights.

Just change damage dice to harm. Makes the fighter a much better class.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Golden Bee posted:

^^^ This.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Especially since the AW standard is that most NPCs are seriously messed up at 1 harm and probably dead at 2-3.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

wow

This would have totally changed DW for me, back when I wanted it to work.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Odd question to just pop in with, but here we go.

I was reading the Dugron World thread and noticed in the OP that there are in fact released adventures.

My question, how does that work with PbtA? Since its player driven, as soon as the players decide they don't want to follow the adventure anymore, it's out the window. Is Dungeon World a fundamentally different beast then other PbtA or am I missing something obvious?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

OscarDiggs posted:

I was reading the Dugron World thread and noticed in the OP that there are in fact released adventures.

My question, how does that work with PbtA? Since its player driven, as soon as the players decide they don't want to follow the adventure anymore, it's out the window. Is Dungeon World a fundamentally different beast then other PbtA or am I missing something obvious?

Well, yes. You're missing that if Wisher rants in the public square about an ominous pink wave and the PCs collectively say "lol gently caress that we're gonna smuggle yam bars" the ominous pink wave doesn't somehow stop coming.

It's the same way with adventures. They're basically a bunch of predrawn threats and notes and relevant moves. Sure, the PCs are free to bug out. They just have to live with the consequences.

Drop Database
Feb 13, 2012

OscarDiggs posted:

I've run a lot of Dungeon World, including a few pre-made adventures. The good ones provide you the parts of an adventure that don't rely on players making a particular choice (besides, as above, "nah, not doing this lol"). Things like fronts/threats, npc profiles, nice maps, detailed settings, interesting monster and location moves for the DM to make. As always, quality varies, and so there are some which are old d&d-style, and just assume that players will follow the obvious quest path.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Thank you both for clearing that up.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Here’s a dumb question: I’m mocking up a first draft of a system using the Monsterhearts guy’s simple template. In it he has you create character archetypes with short phrases summating what they do.

My question is about character moves. Iirc from Apocalypse World, you’re given a list of moves to choose from as a player, but the template has players creating three of their own moves from the phrases. Are these just two different approaches to the material or am I missing something? The former puts more work on the designer (me) but seems less messy.

I kept wanting to run a post-industrial “secret history” historical fantasy game in the Carnivale / Last Call vein but the vibe of Unknown Armies rubbed me the wrong way. Figured brewing my own PbtA was a surer bet and less messy (I’m sure I’ll be proven wrong there).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Basic Chunnel posted:

Here’s a dumb question: I’m mocking up a first draft of a system using the Monsterhearts guy’s simple template. In it he has you create character archetypes with short phrases summating what they do.

My question is about character moves. Iirc from Apocalypse World, you’re given a list of moves to choose from as a player, but the template has players creating three of their own moves from the phrases. Are these just two different approaches to the material or am I missing something? The former puts more work on the designer (me) but seems less messy.

Simple World is intended to be built out collaboratively in play.

If you don't want to do that, don't do that.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I always thought Act Under Fire was to just be capable of doing something in a dangerous situation, with nothing about that something succeeding or having good results.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

hyphz posted:

I always thought Act Under Fire was to just be capable of doing something in a dangerous situation, with nothing about that something succeeding or having good results.
No, act under fire is used any time it seems like there's a chance of failure, the consequences of that failure (or success!) are interesting, and no other move really covers the situation. It's the default "doing dangerous stuff" move, and success on it absolutely counts as succeeding at whatever dangerous stuff you were attempting. It was primarily Dungeon World that started people down the path of using "Defy Danger" as a gatekeeper move (i.e. a move you made that allowed you to make another move), but that's not particularly great rules design or MC practice. There are times where it's fictionally appropriate, but it's woefully overused IMO.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A friend said he’d like to be in a campaign setting where fast food mascots like the Burger King control the land and the PCs are up-and-coming mascots trying to make a name for themselves in the fast food empire.

PbtA seems like a great way to attempt this, but I don’t know which game would be the best for characters trying to claim power and territory while outmaneovering the Grimace and fleeing Colonel Sanders’ cavalry.

Blades comes to mind, but would need a good amount of tweaking. Any suggestions?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

A friend said he’d like to be in a campaign setting where fast food mascots like the Burger King control the land and the PCs are up-and-coming mascots trying to make a name for themselves in the fast food empire.

PbtA seems like a great way to attempt this, but I don’t know which game would be the best for characters trying to claim power and territory while outmaneovering the Grimace and fleeing Colonel Sanders’ cavalry.

Blades comes to mind, but would need a good amount of tweaking. Any suggestions?

Spirit of '77?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Apocalypse World seems like the best choice

May I present Exhibit A

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
Hello folks! It's been a hot minute since I posted about my PBTA hack in this thread, but I have some big news.

Impulse Drive is live now on Kickstarter!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1743149756/impulse-drive

Impulse Drive is a space opera roleplaying game about Misfits and Spaceships, using the Powered By The Apocalypse engine, popularized by games like Apocalypse World, Monsterhearts, Dungeon World, and Masks. Play as a crew of volatile, bombastic scoundrels and troublemakers as they navigate dangerous situations involving deadly environments, untrustworthy NPCs, and strange aliens.

This campaign will raise the funds to pay some very skilled professionals familiar with RPG design and Kickstarter funded publishing and turn Impulse Drive into a fully realized Print on Demand book, printed and distributed through Drivethu RPG.

Impulse Drive is rules complete. If you want to check the game out before backing, the Preview version of Impulse Drive is available through Drivethru now. This link will always have an art-free version of the most up to date rules available as Pay What You Want, so that people who cannot afford to buy the game can still play.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/190933/Impulse-Drive-Preview

I also wanted to say thanks to all the folks who have given me feedback on Impulse Drive specifically, but also for the design discussion in this thread that helped develop the game. Thanks everybody!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

madadric posted:

Hello folks! It's been a hot minute since I posted about my PBTA hack in this thread, but I have some big news.

Impulse Drive is live now on Kickstarter!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1743149756/impulse-drive

Impulse Drive is a space opera roleplaying game about Misfits and Spaceships, using the Powered By The Apocalypse engine, popularized by games like Apocalypse World, Monsterhearts, Dungeon World, and Masks. Play as a crew of volatile, bombastic scoundrels and troublemakers as they navigate dangerous situations involving deadly environments, untrustworthy NPCs, and strange aliens.

This campaign will raise the funds to pay some very skilled professionals familiar with RPG design and Kickstarter funded publishing and turn Impulse Drive into a fully realized Print on Demand book, printed and distributed through Drivethu RPG.

Impulse Drive is rules complete. If you want to check the game out before backing, the Preview version of Impulse Drive is available through Drivethru now. This link will always have an art-free version of the most up to date rules available as Pay What You Want, so that people who cannot afford to buy the game can still play.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/190933/Impulse-Drive-Preview

I also wanted to say thanks to all the folks who have given me feedback on Impulse Drive specifically, but also for the design discussion in this thread that helped develop the game. Thanks everybody!

Good luck to you, bro. I hope it all works out for you. Threw you 50 AUS for the hardcover. Hope you make your goal! I'd cross post this in the Kickstarter Thread.

Also, apparently, 50 AUS is only 35 USD.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Covok posted:

Good luck to you, bro. I hope it all works out for you. Threw you 50 AUS for the hardcover. Hope you make your goal! I'd cross post this in the Kickstarter Thread.

Also, apparently, 50 AUS is only 35 USD.

Thanks for the backing and the advice! I'll throw it in there.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Hello, I have another question for the thread.

How do you make PbtA characters unique? Taking AW as an example, the battlebabe playbook has a set of moves unique to it. But they're still going to be the same moves no matter which game the battlebabe appears in. So what makes the battlebabe I make and play separate and different from one anyone else makes and plays?

Or is that lack of uniqueness the point?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

OscarDiggs posted:

Hello, I have another question for the thread.

How do you make PbtA characters unique? Taking AW as an example, the battlebabe playbook has a set of moves unique to it. But they're still going to be the same moves no matter which game the battlebabe appears in. So what makes the battlebabe I make and play separate and different from one anyone else makes and plays?

Or is that lack of uniqueness the point?

Moves, look, actions, crossbook moves, personality...

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

Moves, look, actions, crossbook moves, personality...

Moves are all the same surely? And actions come from moves.

Now I've never played a game of AW in my life so if you tell me you can take move from other books at the start, I can believe you. My only PbtA experience is two and a half sessions ish of Masks, and with that you couldn't start with crossbook moves.

Is personality that big of a differential when you've all got the same moveset? A battlebabe could do the thing angrily in one game and sadly in another, but it's ultimately the same thing.

I have no idea what a battlebabe does, just that it exists.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

OscarDiggs posted:

Is personality that big of a differential when you've all got the same moveset? A battlebabe could do the thing angrily in one game and sadly in another, but it's ultimately the same thing.

what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

I mean, it's text so it's like I spoke to fast and you misheard me...

Is battlebabe a poor example here? It's literally the only class I've heard of from AW.