Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

try taking a little vacation until solo mode is added

Huh? You can play solo right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Huh? You can play solo right now.

They're going to add a mode where solos fight only other solos.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

They're going to add a mode where solos fight only other solos.

Oh, that kind of takes most the fun out of going solo for me.

I want to be the sneakiest bastard that they're not expecting, not in an arena of sneaky bastards that everyone's expecting.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Yeah half the thrill of playing is when you kill a guy and then you can't figure out if he was playing solo or if his buddy is out there in the trees watching you the whole time, waiting for you to loot the body before taking a headshot.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I honestly didn't even think about the matches being mixed team and solo. :aaaaa:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
The thing about going solo vs pairs is that in pairs you are literally making twice as much noise, and that noise can mask what you might otherwise pick up on if you were solo. You get complacent with the sounds of your partner moving around near you, so you are inherently more vulnerable to someone playing more cautiously sneaking up on you.

When you're solo you can be much more alert to your surroundings - but it requires you to engage teams of two.

Generally speaking if you manage to drop one quickly before they can react, you have the upper hand during the rest of the fight with the partner. (He now has pressure to win and pick his partner up - or risk the embarrassing team wipe to a solo guy)

If the match is all solo guys who know it's a match of all solo guys - I just see things racing to constant sniping / camping.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

That explains how I got a team wipe in that match a few days ago. I was thinking it was just all solo players, and I figured the second guy I killed had hung around forever after I dropped the first one because he just wanted the bounty.

Going to try getting some goon hunts in this weekend.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

For what it is worth, I didn't really want to play with randoms either for a time, but then started doing that. Sometimes they suck, but sometimes you meet some decent people. If you get really discouraged, you can always try taking a little vacation until solo mode is added, or only play tiny budget build Hunters for a while.

I'm running cheap low cost hunters for now until I find my footing playing solo. I still really don't want to pair up with randos just because I don't want to be responsible for someone else and I don't want to hear any lip about it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I feel like I'd rather play the game they used to have. it's not like it couldn't have a 2v2v2v2v2 pvp mode like we have now.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
New update is out on the test server: https://steamcommunity.com/games/770720/announcements/detail/1693804055921673970

Water Devil – Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water…. this update introduces a new special AI that will make wading through the Louisiana swamps a bit more of a challenge.
New consumables - Liquid Fire Bomb, Waxed Dynamite.
Badges for Rank and Prestige – Badges have been added to correspond with different ranks and prestige levels which will be displayed on the Bloodline screen.
Changes to Fire and Bleed Damage – Both fire and rending damage are less punishing, making it easier to stop them and also recover burning team-mates more reliably.
Endless Rank-up – Upon reaching max Rank 100 in the Bloodline, players can now continue to progress and unlock additional money rewards instead of Prestiging.

Those are the highlights but there are more, mostly sound like good changes/additions.

Not a huge fan of burning change.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Knifegrab posted:

Endless Rank-up – Upon reaching max Rank 100 in the Bloodline, players can now continue to progress and unlock additional money rewards instead of Prestiging.

:getin:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Ahh, excuse me but the burning changes mean I can now safely light myself on fire and charge at people with an axe.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Elendil004 posted:

I feel like I'd rather play the game they used to have. it's not like it couldn't have a 2v2v2v2v2 pvp mode like we have now.

Yeah, I feel this. I enjoyed the atmosphere tremendously and I think the concept is cool as heck. But I'd like a coop or pve mode too. The gaming loop as is got boring very fast.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yeah, I feel this. I enjoyed the atmosphere tremendously and I think the concept is cool as heck. But I'd like a coop or pve mode too. The gaming loop as is got boring very fast.

:same:

A co-op mode where the boss has multiple stages would be pretty fun.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So with the burn changes, how do I make someone unrevivable? Do I just have to burn them twice? Can I blow them up or shoot their downed body?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

So with the burn changes, how do I make someone unrevivable? Do I just have to burn them twice? Can I blow them up or shoot their downed body?

"Changes to Burning
Holding “F” to stop burning will pause the burning process during the duration of the action (releasing the key will cause the effect to continue)
Standing in fire while holding “F” will not pause the process and you will continue to lose health chunks from burning
The fire effect will only remain visible on a downed hunter while their health chunks are burning away (no fire on a body means the hunter is fully dead and cannot be revived)
Downed hunters health chunks will now burn at a slower rate, giving the teammate more time to revive them
Hunters now need to walk a few meters in the water before the splashes will put out the fire.

Changes to Bleeding
Holding “F” to stop bleeding will now pause the bleed-out process during the duration of the action
Slightly reduced the distance at which shotguns apply a bleed effect"

it's not a huge change. Burning a body still puts them on a timer, it just gives the partner enough time to outlast the fire spread by whatever you threw on the body so they don't have to find some weird way to get in and put their partner out. They still have to put them out, which means they have to expose themselves to you, or wait for their partner to die. You both also know when the partner is dead-dead now (because the fire will go out, and not before). Fires do not put themselves out, it's not a big dramatic change, it isn't going to change what burning a body does. It just extends the timer.

The bleed change is really nice, bandaging yourself is never just a wasted effort now and it should help keep you from losing an extra chunk when you get hit by a hatchet zombie. I don't know if I like it coupled with the shotgun changes, though.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
I feel like it's a big nerf to shotguns although I'll need to play and see. The accuracy buff may balance that and make the Romero 77 Talon useful past early levels. I like the single shot better than the SxS for some weird reason and use it a lot anyway.

One thing waaayyy down in the patch notes is :ducksiren:DUCKS:ducksiren:. This will be interesting.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I hope they dont fix this https://streamable.com/bpj3k

revolther
May 27, 2008
Ragdoll physics wackiness can't be fixed without removing ragdoll.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The accuracy changes to the Spectre look pretty good. The bleed and burn changes are also nice. I saw a lot of the new changes on some test server streams last night and I've got no complaints, gonna be a great patch.

The dogs launching themselves to the moon is always great. I hit one with a throwing knife as it jumped at me and I sidestepped, and I watched as the dog just kept gaining speed, twirling, twisting over the horizon to parts unknown. I like to think it hit the invisible wall at the border.

Just imagine you're creeping through the bush, looking for a clue, and a dead dog sails overhead at around 200 MPH.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
They don't just fly around. Sometimes they just hover in the air before despawning.

I especially like when they get aggro and slowly rotate towards you while growling. No leg movement or anything. Just a dog->base_mesh->raw_rotate(direction) sort of way.

I also hope they never fix it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

The water devil is kind of disappointing. I mean I'll take it over no enemy water AI, but it really really should have been a croc.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

The water devil is kind of disappointing. I mean I'll take it over no enemy water AI, but it really really should have been a croc.

Do you mean a gator? Crocodiles don't exist in Louisiana, and there are only maybe a thousand or so in south Florida. They look similar but have at least 80 million years of divergence :eng101:. I agree though. A gator would be better than a tentacle monster.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 18, 2018

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Knifegrab posted:

lets hope they are saving the alligator for a water boss

revolther
May 27, 2008
I don't expect anything beyond a bunch of gurgling bubbles on the surface and a reskinned leech model. The leeches are pointless on land anyways, I've never figured how they are supposed to work in conjunction with the blind Meatheads.

Orv
May 4, 2011

revolther posted:

I don't expect anything beyond a bunch of gurgling bubbles on the surface and a reskinned leech model. The leeches are pointless on land anyways, I've never figured how they are supposed to work in conjunction with the blind Meatheads.

They're its sensory organs. The Meathead can't see or hear you on its own, if you interact with the leeches it'll come after you. If you kill (burning is best) all the leeches the Meathead just stumbles around.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Me and my buddy had been doing pretty well, and finally managed a Gauntlet run, thanks in part to a bunch of other hunters killing one another. That bumped me up into tier 2 and it's been a bunch of games of sudden, instant death. Guess we actually have to get good now. :(

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Mordja posted:

Me and my buddy had been doing pretty well, and finally managed a Gauntlet run, thanks in part to a bunch of other hunters killing one another. That bumped me up into tier 2 and it's been a bunch of games of sudden, instant death. Guess we actually have to get good now. :(

You passed the threshold for entering the general populace games. (Rank 30 or 33, I forget) Welcome!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
34, yeah. My friend's still in the 20s which might prove something of a problem for him when it comes to gear.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Mordja posted:

It's easy enough to say that the game is simply not for me but it's this sort of thing that turned me off of the game. I thought that being able to kill other hunters was pretty cool but wish it wasn't the point. A bigger focus on the hunting monster/undead.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's easy enough to say that the game is simply not for me but it's this sort of thing that turned me off of the game. I thought that being able to kill other hunters was pretty cool but wish it wasn't the point. A bigger focus on the hunting monster/undead.

It's important to remember this is primarily a PvP Royale FPS with PvE aspects, the monsters are there as a means to focus the players into certain locations on the map.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This game would be mostly forgettable if it was just another 4-player, coop monstersmash, imo.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Mordja posted:

This game would be mostly forgettable if it was just another 4-player, coop monstersmash, imo.

It would be stupid easy to add that though, double monster stats/spawns, add them spawning on noise events, remove pvp damage, good to go. Like it's kinda silly that the bones are here just give me some different options.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Mordja posted:

The only reason it's not forgettable at all is it's atmosphere. It's totally forgettable as a battle royale too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Glenn Quebec posted:

The only reason it's not forgettable at all is it's atmosphere. It's totally forgettable as a battle royale too.

It's not a Battle Royale.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Mordja posted:

It's not a Battle Royale.

It's very closely in the vein of.

revolther
May 27, 2008
The atmosphere honestly is a big part of it. The gameplay loop can be exciting, thrilling even, but at the core there just isn't a ton of game there. People that want to gather clues and fight bosses want something very different than the people who just go in to PVP.

Part of it may be that the bosses just aren't difficult once you've encountered them twice. It becomes TOO easy to gamify it all. Some random factors around the boss arenas and in general a loving huge spike in npc spawns and aggression should happen as time widdles down and clues get snatched up. They've done a little of this, but not enough to matter.

Like once all the clues are grabbed, or as the banishment clouds form the AI should go aggressive and make the game about survival for everyone. I get that some would argue that's when the PVP endgame kicks in, but the game has been telling you to avoid those fights up to that point. It's only a matter of time before someone figures out the right combination of concertina bombs and misc items that will break things and make it unfun.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I would like to see something that ramped the difficulty up as the game went on. Once you kill enough people, it just feels like, "OK, you're safe now because the players are all dead. Just kill everything between you and the exit and leave at your leisure." There needs to be something to do after the bosses are dead, especially if it provides the bounties a reason to not extract immediately.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

It's nothing like a battle Royale. If battle Royale has become synonymous with multiplayer that has more than two team sure but that is not what battle Royale is. Battle Royale is about a last team standing ideology but in this game you can extract whenever you want. In most games two to three teams can and will successfully exit the map. In theory you could have all teams exit the map. Not to mention the fact that this has heavy PvE elements, something most BR's are completely missing.

There is also no shrinking map, other than the monster fights which direct the confrontations but do not force them.

Calling this a BR game completely misses the point, diminishes, and honestly does a disservice to adequately describing this unique and rather awesome game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Knifegrab posted:

It's nothing like a battle Royale. If battle Royale has become synonymous with multiplayer that has more than two team sure but that is not what battle Royale is. Battle Royale is about a last team standing ideology but in this game you can extract whenever you want. In most games two to three teams can and will successfully exit the map. In theory you could have all teams exit the map. Not to mention the fact that this has heavy PvE elements, something most BR's are completely missing.

There is also no shrinking map, other than the monster fights which direct the confrontations but do not force them.

Calling this a BR game completely misses the point, diminishes, and honestly does a disservice to adequately describing this unique and rather awesome game.
My thoughts exactly. And everyone claiming this game's atmosphere is its only selling point ignores the fact that said atmosphere is all in service towards its tense, paranoid gameplay.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 19, 2018