Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Characters’ close friends and relations exist to propel a character forward to action in fiction, especially if they’re background for the story. Luke Skywalker only leaves the moisture farm when his adoptive parents are brutally murdered, for an ur-example. Frodo’s extended family being colossal douches propels him from the Shire after a year of waffling. Love interests exist to be threatened or killed. Welcome to story tropes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Don't read too much into the Voltron drama - a lot of it isn't based in actual concern over queer representation and more because that now that character isn't alive, the second most popular slash ship is still a ''threat'' to the most popular slash ship.

For something relevant to the thread - The Bloody Benders family!. Nothing personally creeps me out more than the idea of going into a house without knowing that literally everyone inside wants you dead.

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

Oh, hey, murdercop chat from the last page reminded me of this police shooting from the town I live in:

quote:

That morning a Glynn County officer approached Small’s silver Buick in the parking lot of a local mall. She was recently divorced, had been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and a dissociative disorder and had history of drug addiction. She drove off when the officer asked her to turn off her engine.

A 20-minute low-speed chase ended when Sasser, Simpson and a Georgia State Patrol trooper hemmed in Small’s vehicle between their police cruisers and a utility pole. Small revved her engine and inched the car back and forth, but she had four flat tires and no where to go. The trooper tried to get her out of the vehicle, but when he sensed Sasser and Simpson were going to fire their weapons, he ducked out of the way.

They shot her in the face. Graphic details in the linked article.Grand jury failed to indict, despite the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and most everyone who lives here recognizing that this was completely unnecessary. Turns out there was some very shifty stuff going on behind the scenes with the Sheriff's Department, detailed in the article. Most people kind of forgot about it shortly after, really.

Then, just a few months ago, one of the officers involved in the shooting gets brought up on battery and trespassing charges for threatening his ex-wife. He gets fired, investigation commences, and then this happens:

quote:

Lt. Robert C. Sasser had a well-documented history of misconduct as a Glynn County police officer, but nothing outdid his final spectacle of violence Thursday when he shot and killed his estranged wife and her boyfriend, before fatally shooting himself in the head.

And now, there's ongoing investigations as to whether or not his friends in the sheriff's department may or may not have assisted him in finding out where his ex-wife was staying. The whole thing has just been hosed up.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Nikita Khrushchev posted:

This dissolution of the wall between creators and fans

There's a concept about this - parasocial interactions or parasocial relationships.

The term was coined in 1956 but I feel like it's something that's prime for some reevaluation and further development now "celebrity" can come from something like "having 5000 followers on twitter."

ChickenOfTomorrow has a new favorite as of 20:04 on Aug 17, 2018

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Pre-K Bikini Carwash posted:

Oh, hey, murdercop chat from the last page reminded me of this police shooting from the town I live in:

They shot her in the face. Graphic details in the linked article.Grand jury failed to indict, despite the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and most everyone who lives here recognizing that this was completely unnecessary. Turns out there was some very shifty stuff going on behind the scenes with the Sheriff's Department, detailed in the article. Most people kind of forgot about it shortly after, really.

Then, just a few months ago, one of the officers involved in the shooting gets brought up on battery and trespassing charges for threatening his ex-wife. He gets fired, investigation commences, and then this happens:

And now, there's ongoing investigations as to whether or not his friends in the sheriff's department may or may not have assisted him in finding out where his ex-wife was staying. The whole thing has just been hosed up.

Glynn county, Brunswick in particular, is hell on earth.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

There's a concept about this - parasocial interactions or parasocial relationships.

The term was coined in 1956 but I feel like it's something that's prime for some reevaluation and further development now "celebrity" can come from something like "having 5000 followers on twitter."
Really interesting read, thank you! I agree with the conclusion it's not necessarily a bad thing... I mean it sounds like even just having engagement with something that's not happening directly in front of you is a form of parasocial interaction, from watching a tv show or sports match to watching news recordings from halfway across the world. It's just part of how humans interact. But the important thing is to be able to remember when a relationship is parasocial as opposed to reciprocated.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Now I'm remembering when people hounded some of Lin-Manuel Miranda's personal friends on Twitter demanding they friend breakup with Miranda because he was 'problematic'. The sense of social entitlement gets wild.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

a mysterious cloak posted:

I don't even know what this fandom poo poo is

Cherish and protect your innocence. (is fan, see icon)

Howard Unruh, a World War II veteran, was angry at his neighbors, and at various businesssmen in the town of Camden. September 8, 1949, he decided to do something about it. He loaded his Luger, a war souvenir, and set to work. He shot his next-door neighbors, then walked through Camden's downtown, shooting the people he hated, as well as strangers who happened to be in the wrong place. He killed thirteen people, including three children, and wounded three.

In 1949, Americans weren't used to "another day, another mass shooting". The case stood out. Unruh wasn't, in fact, the first American mass shooter, but he was by far the most memorable. He got a significant boost from a gripping New York Times article: 4000 words written on the day of the shooting, and filed just before the deadline for the next day. The article won a Pulitzer for its author, Meyer Berger, and has been much studied over the years. I vehemently encourage you to read it. Sadly, the archived article has been OCRed without proofreading, so you'll have to correct for that.

Berger wrote his story in less than a day. Many details of the crime came out later, including the then-unmentionable truth that Unruh was gay, and had been stood up for a date the previous evening. He was interrogated using truth serum, a piece of quackery that puts the patient into a suggestible state and produces unreliable testimony. The external evidence of the murders is undeniable, but Unruh's statements under truth serum are not. Unruh was diagnosed with "dementia praecox, mixed type, with pronounced catatonic and paranoid coloring" and sent to the New Jersey Hospital for the Insane, where he died in 2009.

The Smithsonian has an excellent modern writeup, but read the contemporary Times article first.

e: Here's a more accurate copy of the Times article; scroll up to the top of the page. Google Books search for "slender hollow-cheeked six-footer"

Arsenic Lupin has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Aug 17, 2018

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I like this weird Andy story, and the Final Fantasy house stories; what other internet-infamous people do y'all think are the most messed up?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

subpar anachronism posted:

I like this weird Andy story, and the Final Fantasy house stories; what other internet-infamous people do y'all think are the most messed up?
The MsScribe sockpuppeting orchestration was pretty interesting, but iirc it didn't really rise to the level of cult personalities, abuse, and gaslighting that people like Andy Blake got up to. Unfortunately the write-up was all over on LifeJournal so I'm not sure if there's a good backup of it.

The most messed up people are the ones who can make a web of lies and then successfully elevate that to sucking in people for actual abuse rather than just prolonged drama fits. Like, uuuh, it sucks to find out a close friend has been lying to you about everything and I'm not going to say that's not emotionally painful but there's people who do that for the attention and then there's people who do that for the thrill of getting one over other people and the potential power they can gain over others. Both can be damaging but the second is more likely to isolate and escalate, I feel. It's not like the first is safe, though, if someone wants attention more than they care about your well-being there's a lot of ways they can hurt you to get it.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

There's the very infamous A/T thread about people who are "married" to fictional characters if you want a heavy dosage of similar.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PetraCore posted:

The MsScribe sockpuppeting orchestration was pretty interesting, but iirc it didn't really rise to the level of cult personalities, abuse, and gaslighting that people like Andy Blake got up to. Unfortunately the write-up was all over on LifeJournal so I'm not sure if there's a good backup of it.

Fanlore is your friend! Links to WebCite backups of Charlotte Lennox's never-to-be-forgotten saga.

For messed-up Internet people, I nominate Andy Schlafly (yes, that Schlafly; her son) of Conservapedia -- link is to RationalWiki's writeup, not to Conservapedia -- famous for deciding to write a new Bible translation.

Arsenic Lupin has a new favorite as of 21:28 on Aug 17, 2018

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

GelatinSkeleton posted:

Glynn county, Brunswick in particular, is hell on earth.

Certainly possible, but the main problem here is that All Cops Are Bastards.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ya I stopped using Tumblr and live journal several years ago and basically just hang out in anon communities now. It's so toxic now that it's not worth being invested in in any meaningful sense
Which one?

There was a huge dust-up in Hamilton fandom where it turned out somebody was lying about being HIV+ and a whole host of other marginalized identities. Let's see, oh! the E.L. James/Snowqueen Icedragon thing. That was big.
Cassie Claire's plagiarism but that's mostly a grudge.

AlbieQuirky posted:

"Victoria Bitter" was after the beer and not meant as a feminine name, though.

Blake's pretending to have been in the IRA is one of my favorite weirdnesses in the story. Also when he told some lady that her son (actual son, not a bird) was under psychic attack by wizards.
Not just the IRA he claimed to have been on both sides for about a week each to see what they were about.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Cara Goodman's an interesting story. She was a blogger who claimed to be HIV+ and have cancer, I think I've posted about her before because I was a friend of a friend of hers.

https://www.healthyway.com/content/munchausens-by-internet-why-people-fake-illnesses-online/

tldr: she didn't have any of the conditions or illnesses she claimed; she stole money as donations from people including singer Kimya Dawson, then was exposed by her friend.

There was another good article about her that changed all the names so I can't find it. Catsnotcancer/Nikki was/is lovely and a friend, and it's been like 5 years since I've heard from her, and I hope she's okay. It wasn't her fault that Cara sucked her in.

Cara's old blog is here, the friend who eventually exposed her took it over and answered questions.

e: all of this was like 5-6 years ago. Just googling her name though I found this:

http://www.4thtrimesterbodiesproject.com/gallery-1/2015/12/11/cara-goodman

Which, uh. That's definitely the same woman, having gained a lot of weight and a child. Who was taken away from her. Yikes.

eating only apples has a new favorite as of 00:48 on Aug 18, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

eating only apples posted:

Cara Goodman's an interesting story. She was a blogger who claimed to be HIV+ and have cancer, I think I've posted about her before because I was a friend of a friend of hers.

https://www.healthyway.com/content/munchausens-by-internet-why-people-fake-illnesses-online/

tldr: she didn't have any of the conditions or illnesses she claimed; she stole money as donations from people including singer Kimya Dawson, then was exposed by her friend.

There was another good article about her that changed all the names so I can't find it. Catsnotcancer/Nikki was/is lovely and a friend, and it's been like 5 years since I've heard from her, and I hope she's okay. It wasn't her fault that Cara sucked her in.

Cara's old blog is here, the friend who eventually exposed her took it over and answered questions.

e: all of this was like 5-6 years ago. Just googling her name though I found this:

http://www.4thtrimesterbodiesproject.com/gallery-1/2015/12/11/cara-goodman

Which, uh. That's definitely the same woman, having gained a lot of weight and a child. Who was taken away from her. Yikes.
Well, it sounds like given her history as a chronic liar and her Munchausen's by Internet people were understandably nervous about her parenting ability and wary of the potential for Munchausen's by Proxy. It also sounds like Cara has gotten to a place where she can hopefully be a good parent and that the medical issues her daughter suffered from early in life were later verified by medical professionals as not the result of Cara slipping her something. Having a baby isn't going to fix someone, but it's good if she took getting pregnant as a motivation to turn her life around.

There's also the good point that if you're on record of having lied so extensively for so long people are not going to believe you when something actually does happen... I'd really hesitate to say that just because Cara lied about so much else that she lied about getting raped after she'd come clean on the whole scam, it's just that rape is a notoriously hard crime to prove and her credibility is shot to all hell so I'm not surprised the police took a look at her history and whatever evidence there was and decided not to pursue it.

I'm couching all of this in pretty wishy-washy language because I don't know her and I don't know if she's continued to be a liar, but the fact that she was under such stringent observation with her daughter and was still able to regain custody indicates to me that she probably has turned her life around to a significant degree.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

xtal posted:

Certainly possible, but the main problem here is that All Cops Are Bastards.

Brunswick is also home to a fairly large federal law enforcement training facility, which draws a large variety of three letter acronyms of varying self-importance

imagine a tiny town of just miscellaneous cops

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Cherish and protect your innocence. (is fan, see icon)

Howard Unruh, a World War II veteran, was angry at his neighbors, and at various businesssmen in the town of Camden. September 8, 1949, he decided to do something about it. He loaded his Luger, a war souvenir, and set to work. He shot his next-door neighbors, then walked through Camden's downtown, shooting the people he hated, as well as strangers who happened to be in the wrong place. He killed thirteen people, including three children, and wounded three.

In 1949, Americans weren't used to "another day, another mass shooting". The case stood out. Unruh wasn't, in fact, the first American mass shooter, but he was by far the most memorable. He got a significant boost from a gripping New York Times article: 4000 words written on the day of the shooting, and filed just before the deadline for the next day. The article won a Pulitzer for its author, Meyer Berger, and has been much studied over the years. I vehemently encourage you to read it. Sadly, the archived article has been OCRed without proofreading, so you'll have to correct for that.

Berger wrote his story in less than a day. Many details of the crime came out later, including the then-unmentionable truth that Unruh was gay, and had been stood up for a date the previous evening. He was interrogated using truth serum, a piece of quackery that puts the patient into a suggestible state and produces unreliable testimony. The external evidence of the murders is undeniable, but Unruh's statements under truth serum are not. Unruh was diagnosed with "dementia praecox, mixed type, with pronounced catatonic and paranoid coloring" and sent to the New Jersey Hospital for the Insane, where he died in 2009.

The Smithsonian has an excellent modern writeup, but read the contemporary Times article first.

e: Here's a more accurate copy of the Times article; scroll up to the top of the page. Google Books search for "slender hollow-cheeked six-footer"
Also noteworthy is that after the shooting spree, Unruh retreated to his apartment, and engaged in a a gunfight with the cops who surrounded it. In the middle of the gunfight, a local reporter who'd looked up Unruh's number in the phone book
called him, and he picked up

quote:

"Is this Howard?"
"Yes ... what's the last name of the party you want?"
"Unruh."
(Pause) "What's the last name of the party you want?"
"Unruh. I'm a friend, and I want to know what they're doing to you."
"They're not doing a damned thing to me, but I'm doing plenty to them."
(In a soothing, reassuring voice) "How many have you killed?"
"I don't know yet, because I haven't counted them ... (pause) but it looks like a pretty good score."
"Why are you killing people?"
"I don't know. I can't answer that yet, I'm too busy."
(At that point Buxton heard Unruh move away from the phone as gunfire was heard in the background)
"I'll have to talk to you later ... a couple of friends are coming to get me" ... (voice trails off).
(In a soothing, reassuring voice) "How many have you killed?"

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Hauki posted:

imagine a tiny town of just miscellaneous cops

some things are too unnerving even for this thread

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pre-K Bikini Carwash posted:

it's pretty loving unnerving (but not surprising) just how many pigs are domestic abusers.
https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/09/police-officers-who-hit-their-wives-or-girlfriends/380329/

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I always found fandom weird. Why can you just not like a thing and call it at that? I'm a fan of the television show The Venture Brothers. I don't go find other people who watch it and dress up like the characters and write fanfics about the show. I just enjoy it. I might occasionally tell someone to watch it because they might like it. Enjoy your media, don't try to become your media. God drat weirdos.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Even discussing it at all is sort of level one, then people get into what-ifs and stuff, and people who draw like to draw, I dunno it's not that strange really. It's like when Romeo and Juliet gets remade for the hundredth time only this time it's West Side Story.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Arsenic Lupin posted:

... where he died in 2009.

Imagine 60 years in a mental hospital. From the Smithsonian article:

"Unruh’s father Sam was ordered to pay $15 a month for Howard’s upkeep in Trenton. And basically, for the next six decades, Unruh vanished. Occasionally, something would come up like in 1964, Unruh wrote a petition to have his indictment dismissed on the grounds he was insane at the time of the shootings. He withdrew it, probably upon understanding that it would only be useful as a defense in a trial, which he did not want. Freda visited him until her death in 1985, but after that, Unruh didn’t talk much. Over the years, he did take an art class, and in the 1970s had an unrequited crush on a much younger inmate, but for the most part, he kept up with his stamp collection and was known to mop the floors while muttering to himself.

In 1991, a psychiatrist said Unruh had one friendship inside, but actually it was “a person who just keeps talking all the time. Mr Unruh is a good listener.” In 1993, Unruh was transferred to a less restrictive geriatric unit, where he would live out his days. He died on October 19, 2009 at the age of 88."

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Untrustable posted:

I always found fandom weird. Why can you just not like a thing and call it at that? I'm a fan of the television show The Venture Brothers. I don't go find other people who watch it and dress up like the characters and write fanfics about the show. I just enjoy it. I might occasionally tell someone to watch it because they might like it. Enjoy your media, don't try to become your media. God drat weirdos.

:jerkbag:Yeah, you're so cool for not getting invested in anything.

edit: Like, basically the entire canon of ~Real Art~ is Bible fanart. Fandom is not some new phenomenon you can smugly blame on Tumblr.

packetmantis has a new favorite as of 10:14 on Aug 18, 2018

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

packetmantis posted:

:jerkbag:Yeah, you're so cool for not getting invested in anything.

edit: Like, basically the entire canon of ~Real Art~ is Bible fanart. Fandom is not some new phenomenon you can smugly blame on Tumblr.

You can totally be invested in something without it becoming the very essence of your being. I don't remember mentioning ~real art~ or Tumblr tho. Maybe fandom was the wrong word.

What's the thing where people obsess over a piece of media and do fan art and cosplay, write erotic fiction about it, and make it the cornerstone of their existence? If that's not fandom then I guess I picked the wrong word.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Scarodactyl posted:

Eh, hasn't been the same since Gondwana broke up.

There's a reggae band who called themselves Gondwana specifically to make this joke.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Untrustable posted:

You can totally be invested in something without it becoming the very essence of your being. I don't remember mentioning ~real art~ or Tumblr tho. Maybe fandom was the wrong word.

What's the thing where people obsess over a piece of media and do fan art and cosplay, write erotic fiction about it, and make it the cornerstone of their existence? If that's not fandom then I guess I picked the wrong word.

I think what might have irked the other poster was mentioning the creative aspects of being in a fandom as weird. It's not weird to want to share a hobby/interest with people. A lot of them are creative folks who you wouldn't fault for wanting to share their designs, art, writing or music outside of a fandom and they just happen to make a lot of it about a thing they like.
But when people in a group start to dictate how you should enjoy those things it's time to get out of there.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Stan Lee wins restraining order:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/aug/18/marvel-comics-mogul-stan-lee-wins-renewed-protection-against-elder-abuse

What other cases are there of a vulnerable and loaded person being hoodwinked by their doctor, their lawyer, and even their next-of-kin into ceding control of their estate? For one there's Brian Wilson doctor.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 11:28 on Aug 18, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/aug/18/marvel-comics-mogul-stan-lee-wins-renewed-protection-against-elder-abuse

What other cases are there of a vulnerable and loaded person being hoodwinked by their doctor, their lawyer, and even their next-of-kin into ceding control of their estate? For one there's Brian Wilson doctor.

Leonard Cohen had to start touring again in his 70s after his manager ripped him off.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Untrustable posted:

...Religion?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Untrustable posted:

Just another level of fanaticism.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A person can get obsessed with anything, and it's the obsession itself that tends to be detrimental. It's like people who are obsessive about astrology or craft beers or anything, it starts taking over and it's exhausting and ruins interactions with them.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I have a friend that I avoid during football season every year. Dude watches the entire draft, knows almost every player of every team, and will not stop talking about football until the season is over. There's nothing worse than talking about something with someone that knows what they're talking about. It's maddening.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Human passion and loyalty is a disease.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's not quite the same thing, but there was a depressing battle between Casey Kasem's wife and his children as he was mute and battling parkinsons.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pick posted:

Humanpassion and loyalty is a disease.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PetraCore posted:

Well, it sounds like given her history as a chronic liar and her Munchausen's by Internet people were understandably nervous about her parenting ability and wary of the potential for Munchausen's by Proxy. It also sounds like Cara has gotten to a place where she can hopefully be a good parent and that the medical issues her daughter suffered from early in life were later verified by medical professionals as not the result of Cara slipping her something. Having a baby isn't going to fix someone, but it's good if she took getting pregnant as a motivation to turn her life around.

There's also the good point that if you're on record of having lied so extensively for so long people are not going to believe you when something actually does happen... I'd really hesitate to say that just because Cara lied about so much else that she lied about getting raped after she'd come clean on the whole scam, it's just that rape is a notoriously hard crime to prove and her credibility is shot to all hell so I'm not surprised the police took a look at her history and whatever evidence there was and decided not to pursue it.

I'm couching all of this in pretty wishy-washy language because I don't know her and I don't know if she's continued to be a liar, but the fact that she was under such stringent observation with her daughter and was still able to regain custody indicates to me that she probably has turned her life around to a significant degree.

I think this thread has been pretty good at proving how easy it is for abusers and maniacs to regain custody of their children regardless of how horrible they are so I wouldn’t use that as a positive spin

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Speaking of obsessive fandom and "firsts", the story of baseball player Eddie Waitkus, stalked and shot by a female fan in 1949, is worth a look.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

dovetaile posted:

Which one?

There was a huge dust-up in Hamilton fandom where it turned out somebody was lying about being HIV+ and a whole host of other marginalized identities. Let's see, oh! the E.L. James/Snowqueen Icedragon thing. That was big.
Cassie Claire's plagiarism but that's mostly a grudge.

Not just the IRA he claimed to have been on both sides for about a week each to see what they were about.

Fail-fandom anon on dreamwidth is one of the few remaining anonymous fandom spaces I think. I lurk there like once every few months and reminisce lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fail-fandom anon on dreamwidth is one of the few remaining anonymous fandom spaces I think. I lurk there like once every few months and reminisce lol

Tumblr operates semi-anonymously since people are constantly deleting their profiles and starting new ones. Trying to keep track of who is who is basically impossible unless they're a friend anyway.