Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

Won't you think of poor retired couple with income of $180,000/yr? You monster!

They're meant to be the villains. "The blacks" aren't getting taxed extra under OBUMMER but all these sad white people (who I emulate and aspire to be like) will be!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Mizuti posted:

I know there's an animated version of this floating around the internet that sentences each example to the guillotine.

If I remember right, the artist of this was simply asked to draw "Families looking ahead to hard times" or something similar. Poor Henry the Corgi

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the secret is to not have kids

the expenses you save on holy poo poo

congratulations rich people you've devised a society in which not breeding is the logical choice :thumbsup:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Moridin920 posted:

congratulations rich people you've devised a society in which not breeding is the logical choice :thumbsup:

My dad tells me this once a week.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah but then they bitch that millennials aren't having kids. Theres literally no winning.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Today I learned that those cheapo green lasers are ridiculously dangerous. They use an IR source that's stepped down to green but they don't bother filtering out the IR to save on costs. That means if you got regular green-filtering glasses and think you're safe because you can't see anything, it can still be roasting your retinas and causing permanent damage.

Bonus prize: the IR output can be 10x the visible output because the specs are bullshit lies

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I'm surprised you're surprised that corners were cut when a product went from "available for hundreds of dollars" to "order a crate off aliexpress"

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

ate all the Oreos posted:

I guess that last one also might be intentional and for bachelorette parties where you really hate the bachelorette or something.

Anyway here's a bible that's actually a gun

The "proud to be an American" badge on the grip really brings the whole image together.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Yeah but then they bitch that millennials aren't having kids. Theres literally no winning.

they provide a legitimate excuse to never visit them in their nursing homes and let them rot in a puddle of their own filth. i call that a win

Faded Mars
Jul 1, 2004

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.
I have no poo poo ordered things from Ali Express straight from Chinese factories or whatever that have "Made in America" stickers all over them.

They're usually 1/10th the price of the exact same thing from Amazon or whatever, too.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I feel like the target demographic for that would be more put off by the price markdown than anything

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

jimmyjams posted:

i like the pouty sad faces. like its just so hard scraping by on $230,000 a year

Yeah, like we're supposed to feel bad that the family making $650,000 a year will take home $21,000 less. You know, more than a significant chunk of Americans make in a year. Oh boo hoo, poor them, they might have to sell one of their yachts.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Mizuti posted:

I know there's an animated version of this floating around the internet that sentences each example to the guillotine.

Ive been reading a few books on investment. (Australia) They typically start off with, 'The median income of $75,000'

In the work i do, no one is pulling 75k. Top dog is maybe getting 70, underlings all hitting 52k at best. (Most are lucky to hit 35k due to the way poo poo rolls.) Then you look at retail. Top dog is netting 60k if they're lucky. Underlings pushing 30-40k if they're full time.

One of the books then went on how the author saved 32k in a year by not going out to dinner and flipping some poo poo on ebay. She then tells people, to - get another job - get another job, but it isnt a job because its ubering or worktasking. Rent out your house when you go on holiday. Rent out your rooms in the house you obviously own.

32k is more than what some families are making with part-time work.

And in the end she put her 32k saved into shares so that she make 1,700 a year passive income. (So more than 16 years in order to break even assuming you dont lose money on shares because the charts show you never ever lose money on shares.)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

People in the media like to constantly say median household income instead of the much more depressing median individual income. They'll also say per capita GDP instead of per worker GDP.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spatial posted:

Today I learned that those cheapo green lasers are ridiculously dangerous. They use an IR source that's stepped down to green but they don't bother filtering out the IR to save on costs. That means if you got regular green-filtering glasses and think you're safe because you can't see anything, it can still be roasting your retinas and causing permanent damage.

Bonus prize: the IR output can be 10x the visible output because the specs are bullshit lies

An Australian group imported forty‐two green LASER pointers. All claimed to radiate < 1 mW.

Two were stopped by customs, one of which was destroyed and one of which was sent on.

Of the forty‐one they received, all but one was had output greater than one milliwatt. The one that didn’t was the most expensive model in the study.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

comedyblissoption posted:

People in the media like to constantly say median household income instead of the much more depressing median individual income. They'll also say per capita GDP instead of per worker GDP.

I lived with two tradesmen for a while. Pretty sure that my income contributed a whopping 5-10% of the household income.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
As the father has loved me, so have I loved you.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What happens is a naval vessel gets a distress call from a refugee boat while patrolling in international waters. They radio back to HQ and get ordered to turn around and return to Australian waters.

Then, after the distress calls finally stop, they are allowed to return to the area. Any bodies they find died at sea in international waters and are therefore not Australia's responsibility.

There have been reports from the seamen of lines of bodies stretching for miles.

A bunch of us in the AusPol thread spent the longest loving time trying to find what is happening to the bodies being pulled out of the sea, but it's a black hole.

There is no official way to find out as the government refuses to comment on "on water" matters, both major parties are guilty as hell over this, and naval personnel are ordered not to say anything.

This is of course separate to the new law the government put in place making it punishable for up to two years in jail if you report on the abuses going on in the detention camps.

So, yeah, in contravention of centuries of naval tradition, RAN vessels ignore distress calls and wait for the people on board to drown because the current party in power's promise of "no refugee boats will make it to Australia" is more important that the lives of an unknown (and potentially forever unknowable) number of people looking to escape persecution and find a better life.

I really, really hope there's some Australian Naval Lieutenant Commander or Commander, someone who has a high enough rank and enough responsibility to do it putting together a litany of what's going on that he's going to deliver to a bunch of lawyers the day he retires to Belize or Brazil or something. Or just go to court for it, good luck getting a jury to convict that.

Just crack the whole loving thing wide open. A man can dream.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

I wonder why Kanye is multiple millions in debt with winners like these

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I love how being millions in debt is more of a minor annoyance than anything for major celebrities

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
In fact you can still literally become president lmao

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

starkebn posted:

I wonder why Kanye is multiple millions in debt with winners like these

Celebrities being bad with money will always amuse me. "Wow, I have like $100,000,000! That's the same as having infinite money, right?"

...no. No it isn't.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

'Intentionally destroyed areas' as a feature which costs extra is hilarious.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

TheMostFrench posted:

'Intentionally destroyed areas' as a feature which costs extra is hilarious.

A lot of guitar makers do this too - they basically take standard line guitars and 'carefully distress' them (leave them on the factory roof for a couple of weeks) so you too can pretend to own a 59 strat, and pay a poo poo ton extra for the privilege of buying a busted rear end looking instrument

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Celebrities being bad with money will always amuse me. "Wow, I have like $100,000,000! That's the same as having infinite money, right?"

...no. No it isn't.

You'd have to spend $7K every day for 40 years to blow through $100 million. To anyone with a lick of sense that'd be infinite money, but I guess it doesn't last long when your hobby is buying castles or owning yachts that are impractical even by exorbitant yacht standards.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Communist Walrus posted:

You'd have to spend $7K every day for 40 years to blow through $100 million. To anyone with a lick of sense that'd be infinite money, but I guess it doesn't last long when your hobby is buying castles or owning yachts that are impractical even by exorbitant yacht standards.

One of the reasons Johnny Depp is going bankrupt despite being one of the highest-paid actors in the world is that he routinely drinks $1,000 worth of wine every day.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Pirate Radar posted:

One of the reasons Johnny Depp is going bankrupt despite being one of the highest-paid actors in the world is that he routinely drinks $1,000 worth of wine every day.

Jesus. I was actually referring to him with the yacht thing, but this is even better.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
And his accessory budget is more than the gdp of many small island nations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Radar posted:

when I am rich I am going to have a swimming pool filled with the most expensive substance known to man. printer ink

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXu7tPuA0Os

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I realize after the fact that I should have phrased that differently. He routinely spends a thousand dollars on wine a day. I don’t believe there’s any amount of wine a person can drink in a day that’s actually worth a thousand dollars.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Pirate Radar posted:

I realize after the fact that I should have phrased that differently. He routinely spends a thousand dollars on wine a day. I don’t believe there’s any amount of wine a person can drink in a day that’s actually worth a thousand dollars.

Easy, drink a bottle of wine that costs a thousand dollars

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

el dingo posted:

Easy, drink a bottle of wine that costs a thousand dollars

guillotine

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

They probably sell little diamond-encrusted ones as novelty bottle-openers, yes.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pirate Radar posted:

Guillotine

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

I'd like to remind everyone even professional wine tasters can barely tell apart red wine and lukewarm white wine with food coloring.

Like I'm sure a 1000$ bottle beats the cheapest box wine on the shelf, but you don't spend that that much for the taste. I'm just not sure if the luxury-lifestyle people are morons because they actually think they are getting their money's worth or because they passively allow the world to fleece them for thousands of dollars a day simply by never bothering to look at the price tag.

The idea you get rich by being careful with money is some amazing bullshit either way, and people still parrot it for some insane reason

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

BioMe posted:

The idea you get rich by being careful with money is some amazing bullshit either way that people still parrot for some insane reason

maybe not rich as in multi million dollars, but being reasonably frugal and investing the difference can make you hundreds of thousands by the time you retire

a lot of reasonably smart people with decent wages are insanely bad with their private finances