Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Finally completed the story missions of X-O (I think), odd that it ended midway through the last chapter instead of having the usual 10 missions. I've been casually playing through a bunch of other SRW titles at the same time and now having played every game in the franchise besides X and the 360 one can safely say the top 5 are as follows (in no particular order):

1. Z
2. Alpha 3
3. Z2
4. OGs 1/2
5. J

So far the only ones I've outright not liked have been A/Portable, Neo and the beginning of D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
This SR point in the first EVA stage of V is going to take some save scumming.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

I've released a new version of my fangame SRW GR so it's now hovering around 2/3 completion. Since we're in the SRW Downtime it might be an opportune time to check it out!

(Hopefully I'll eventually make history as the first person to ever complete a "big" English SRW fangame project but given the rate of progress, this will probably end up taking as long as the actual Giant Robo OVA.

Strangely fitting, I suppose.)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Davzz posted:

I've released a new version of my fangame SRW GR so it's now hovering around 2/3 completion. Since we're in the SRW Downtime it might be an opportune time to check it out!

(Hopefully I'll eventually make history as the first person to ever complete a "big" English SRW fangame project but given the rate of progress, this will probably end up taking as long as the actual Giant Robo OVA.

I think there's such a thing as too weird a series list even for a fan project(not to say I don't include some odd choices in my own concepts, just that I normally build them around relatively conventional core series)

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

I think there's such a thing as too weird a series list even for a fan project
I've been told that, I suppose. In theory I guess I want to offer something extremely unique since competing from a graphics standpoint is probably a lost cause. I figured if anyone wants to play the same ol Mazinger / Getter / 10 Gundam series, they're probably pretty well stocked up there.

Well, if I ever finish this project estimated date 2020 and finish my next one estimated date 2026, maybe that one would be slightly more appealing to most people - I mean, it actually has half of the cast list being traditionally piloted mecha series even.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Davzz posted:

Does this require switching one's computer into japanese mode to play?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Davzz posted:

I've been told that, I suppose. In theory I guess I want to offer something extremely unique since competing from a graphics standpoint is probably a lost cause. I figured if anyone wants to play the same ol Mazinger / Getter / 10 Gundam series, they're probably pretty well stocked up there.

Well, if I ever finish this project estimated date 2020 and finish my next one estimated date 2026, maybe that one would be slightly more appealing to most people - I mean, it actually has half of the cast list being traditionally piloted mecha series even.

Probably why for most of my concepts the largest portion of novelty is from figuring out interesting crossover stuff, often going further than the official stuff does these days(like the concept I've had for a OYW focused game having Zeon not need to gas most of the other Sides, as due to their alliance with Doctor Hell they instead were able to occupy them with Mechanical Beasts to keep their occupants under control, thus massively increasing Zeon's manpower)

Of course I still like to stick some oddballs in, although I usually make sure they are all at least somewhat Mecha adjacent(while yours honestly are nonsensical even by crossover standards)

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

MightyPretenders posted:

Does this require switching one's computer into japanese mode to play?
Yes.

I've heard of people having success using a program called Locale Emulator without doing so. The download includes some documentation about it under "Installation Instructions.txt"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Davzz posted:

It's unique, I'll give you that. A SRW setup with no Gundam, Mazinger, or Getter at all is unconventional enough, but even aside from them, mostly in SRW you tend to be super robot shows or real robot shows.

This... is not that kind of setup. Like, conventional weird (for lack of a better way to phrase it) is that you start with a more standard robowar setup (Chirico Cuvie is accompanying a Gilgamesh special ops unit to recover an unknown object of value) and then swerve it. (It's a blue vintage Rickenbacker 4001 left-handed electric bass guitar, and someone else is gunning for it too.)

Here, you don't really get that baseline. When Giant Robo and Demonbane are the normal picks, the weird kind of drifts. And, again, as far as I can see the weirds don't have natural link points either. They're all from completely different kinds of settings, with different themes, and just explaining why post-apocalyptic robots are hanging out with Estelle Bright and the Powerpuff Girls strikes me as enough to reduce the people who are interested in an already niche project.

But that's just my angle.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I mean did you use Megaman, Powerpuff Girls and Touhou because the assets were available from one of the Japanese projects you talked about in your blog here?:
https://ontlogy.wordpress.com/2016/01/21/simulation-rpg-construction-src-scenario-roundup-part-3/#more-1015

Because it's okay to just say that. Even official SRW games get some series from previous games simply because they don't want to draw up new assets from scratch.

Edit: To be fair your list isn't even nearly the most eclectic when I take a look at some of these Japanese fangames made using the same system. I was looking at the units list from one and was like 'Oh sweet someone is finally putting Stellvia and Gunparade March in an SRW' and then I went deeper and (in the same game) I was stumbling on stuff like Gunslinger Girl, Tales of Symphonia and... Symphonic Rain (:wtc:)

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 9, 2018

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

But that's just my angle.
Fair points. I'm aware that it's not really a concept that will appeal to the average SRW player so my aim instead is that the people who do want something very quirky love it.

As further detail, Giant Robo is the central pivot for the game, which in itself filled with weird super powered humans (even if no one outside of Alberto ever makes it in). The second inspiration is SRW UX, which is a game that has the cast list that seems completely nonsensical but comes out very well in practice IMO. I suppose the same criticisms could apply there since BX went back to being fairly more standard.

Well, I won't claim to be as good as an industry professional writer (fun fact, did you know UX writer once created an SRC Kamen Rider fangame?) so that's up in the air. I think if someone enjoyed my works or are inspired to actually create a tangible product then I'll consider it a small victory. I would love for the SRW scene to more resemble the FE one in that regard.

(Also which series is Post-Apoc?)

Getsuya posted:

I mean did you use Megaman, Powerpuff Girls and Touhou because the assets were available from one of the Japanese projects you talked about in your blog here?:
https://ontlogy.wordpress.com/2016/01/21/simulation-rpg-construction-src-scenario-roundup-part-3/#more-1015

Because it's okay to just say that. Even official SRW games get some series from previous games simply because they don't want to draw up new assets from scratch.
Technically just about all of my assets aren't created by me - SRC basically has a huge database where creators can freely submit and use sprites designed for it.

You did guess where a huge inspiration came from though I have my own reasons for using those series (also that used Classic Mega and not X)

(The series that would have been in but had no assets is Bubblegum Crisis - assets aren't an issue for a surprising amount of series)

Davzz fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 9, 2018

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Okay I feel like I just dogpiled without giving any actual constructive criticism so here's some more useful thoughts: you should really have some kind of pitch for the plot worked out. I mean the real draw of any SRW game, at least for me, is the plot. How do these series come together? How has the creator cleverly wound so many diverse series together into a single whole? Generally when we first see an SRW series pitched we get some idea of what kind of crossover concept they're going for (for example, with X we immediately got introduced to the fantasy world and the idea that folks were being teleported there from other worlds). I very rarely know more than a few series on any given SRW series list so series lists do nothing for me. Even if I know the shows I care more about HOW they're being used than just IF they're being used.

I mean do you have an opening text crawl? It's okay, we like reading text crawls. You should copy-paste it. Either here or on the blog. I mean I get just giving us a simple 'hey I made this' and linking the blog, but even the blog lacks any kind of story information aside from the series list. Just my two cents.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Getsuya posted:

you should really have some kind of pitch for the plot worked out.
This is actually pretty good advice and I'll try to get some written up (in a bit of irony I already had a pitch written for my next fangame but not the earlier ones)

It's also kind of awkward because I honestly mostly pitch my fangames so far based on gameplay rather than writing. I don't really know if I can actually appeal to people based off the strength of my writing but its worth a try

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Davzz posted:

This is actually pretty good advice and I'll try to get some written up (in a bit of irony I already had a pitch written for my next fangame but not the earlier ones)

It's also kind of awkward because I honestly mostly pitch my fangames so far based on gameplay rather than writing. I don't really know if I can actually appeal to people based off the strength of my writing but its worth a try

Don't think of it as appealing to people based on your writing, if that feels like too much pressure. Think of it as sharing with people what made you want to do this setup in the first place. Something drew you to these particular games and shows. You don't have to sell people on you. You just have to show you why you liked the idea of them interacting in the first place.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I've written up a synopsis (probably not the right word) that will be put up on the game's page soon. Putting it in a Pastebin which loses a bit of formatting but it was just a couple of lines italicized for emphasis.

Additional Bonus: The synopsis for the game's sequel (sort of, kinda), which I don't think I've ever mentioned here but it's something that's an open secret for a while.

https://pastebin.com/t6FdX7Da

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Gunparade March in an actual SRW would be pretty wicked.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Verranicus posted:

Gunparade March in an actual SRW would be pretty wicked.
Am I wrong or is Demonbane basically the only series that originated as a game and the inclusion was the Anime Adaptation instead?

Wonder what the GPM rights is like anyway.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Speaking of eccentric picks for fan SRW games, how well would one work with KND?

I know that's really loving out there, but KND has a lot of mechs and monsters in the show, so it might fit. Or not.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Willo567 posted:

Speaking of eccentric picks for fan SRW games, how well would one work with KND?

I know that's really loving out there, but KND has a lot of mechs and monsters in the show, so it might fit. Or not.

The dude from upthread making his fangame put Powerpuff Girls in his so sure why not.

Edit: the only limits are your own imagination.

Fake Edit: my SRW would be nothing but JRPGs with giant mechs in them, of which there are a surprising amount.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 17, 2018

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Getsuya posted:

The dude from upthread making his fangame put Powerpuff Girls in his so sure why not.

Edit: the only limits are your own imagination.

Fake Edit: my SRW would be nothing but JRPGs with giant mechs in them, of which there are a surprising amount.

Are you including only games where the player has access to giant mechs or games where giant mechs exist at all? The number of the latter is way too massive, but I don't think there are THAT many of the former.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

Are you including only games where the player has access to giant mechs or games where giant mechs exist at all? The number of the latter is way too massive, but I don't think there are THAT many of the former.

The latter, definitely.
Also instead of Super/Real it would be split between mecha and large friendly monsters like dragons and summons.

Edit: the bigger the pool the better if I want to make a 20 game series right?

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 17, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

Well, it partially depends how you define JRPG and how you define giant mechs, I suppose. Off the top of my head, and ignoring SRW itself...

Final Fantasy VI has the magitek armor
A minigame in Final Fantasy XIII and possibly some of the summons, depending how you count them
Xenogears
Xenosaga
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Zone of the Enders: Fist of Mars
Front Mission
Vanguard Bandits
MS Saga: New Dawn
NieR: Automata has the flight units.

Should be a start.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Davzz posted:

Am I wrong or is Demonbane basically the only series that originated as a game and the inclusion was the Anime Adaptation instead?

Wonder what the GPM rights is like anyway.

They haven't done much with other games at all. Ignoring Cross Omega for a second, it's only Demonbane, Virtual On, and G-Breaker. Which I think is a PS2 game included in the Dreamcast rerelease of SRW Alpha. :shrug:

X-Omega has Sakura Wars, Border Break, and I'm sure some other mobages.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, it partially depends how you define JRPG and how you define giant mechs, I suppose. Off the top of my head, and ignoring SRW itself...

A minigame in Final Fantasy XIII and possibly some of the summons, depending how you count them
Xenogears
Xenosaga
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Front Mission
Vanguard Bandits

Should be a start.

I'd play that game to be honest. Xenosaga has already sort of been in there, with Kos-Mos being in the OG Saga games. Which means that Kos-Mos is canon to OGs, now that Haken has fully migrated to the series.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Hunter Noventa posted:

I'd play that game to be honest. Xenosaga has already sort of been in there, with Kos-Mos being in the OG Saga games. Which means that Kos-Mos is canon to OGs, now that Haken has fully migrated to the series.

Yeah. I doubt she'll be referenced, but she's canon.

On the other hand, I have a sneaking suspicion that Reiji and Xiaomu will be crossing over to join him. (Kinda suspicious that they wrote in Haken and Sanger's absence, but then gave Shinra a support mecha...)

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Willo567 posted:

how well would one work with KND?
Is that supposed to stand for Kids Next Door?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Davzz posted:

Is that supposed to stand for Kids Next Door?

Yes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Well KND would at least have some good music considering GWAR did music for an episode

Dexter's Laboratory would work better though

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Put 'em in a game where Zambot 3 has plot :getin:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Justin_Brett posted:

Put 'em in a game where Zambot 3 has plot :getin:
I'm sure Dexter, boy genius, can reverse even the human bomb procedure using SCIENCE...as long as his blasted sister doesn't get in the way.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The fun thing about Dexter's Lab is he even has a clear upgrade path. Maybe he starts with the dodgeball robot for a couple early stages, upgrades to Robo-Dexo 2000 and then you can either get 3000 or an upgraded 2000 later on, like Layzner in J. And then you get the full Family bot as a TTGL-type end-game upgrade.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

chiasaur11 posted:

Xenogears
Xenosaga
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Front Mission
Vanguard Bandits

Should be a start.

You can add Trails of Cold Steel 2 to that list, but it'd be a bit awkward since you'd be starting from the second game and all. Steambot Chronicles would be pretty rad as well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I still want Kirby in an SRW game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I still want Kirby in an SRW game.
I want a new SRW game in general. It feels like it's been a hundred billion years...maybe because V and X have run completely together in my head.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
For me, it's still R-Type.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I want a new SRW game in general. It feels like it's been a hundred billion years...maybe because V and X have run completely together in my head.

We don't have goofy Endless Frontiers or Supa Robo Gakuens to keep the IP going between actual SRW games anymore.

MonsieurChoc posted:

For me, it's still R-Type.

:bubblewoop: Metal Wolf Chaos :bubblewoop:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

chiasaur11 posted:

Xenogears
Xenosaga
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Front Mission
Vanguard Bandits

Should be a start.

I just remembered White Knight Chronicles exists. Also Danball Senki and shockingly another Level-5 anime robot franchise is in development.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

They haven't done much with other games at all. Ignoring Cross Omega for a second, it's only Demonbane, Virtual On, and G-Breaker...
X-Omega has Sakura Wars, Border Break, and I'm sure some other mobages.
Yeah, I was looking for more examples to examine precedents for things like what happens if the Game -> Anime adaptations are significantly different if it comes down to it for stuff like Gunparade March or Galaxy Angels but I guess there really isn't much to go on.

So if we take Sakura Wars into account, X-O uses the videogame source material so we're one for one on "which version would they pick"

(Incidentally there's Macross 30, guess I don't blame anyone for not remembering given it's treatment in BX)

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, not to downplay your feelings or anything, but the previous games from the same team is basically a single game dragged out into two... twice.

As HitTheTargets points out, all the alternate teams seem to have been cut in favor of X-O so that makes the wait feel longer but I don't know - I don't really want this series to turn into modern Atelier quality.

I'm sure we'll get a new announcement near the end of the year. I'm thinking a new OG announcement this year or next but to be honest that's kind of unexciting at this point of time for me unless they're finally going to do the Alpha 3 plot instead of dragging it out some more.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
MD had a bunch of scenes that were just screaming "Alpha 3 is next, get ready" over and over so it would be really weird if they didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

EthanSteele posted:

MD had a bunch of scenes that were just screaming "Alpha 3 is next, get ready" over and over so it would be really weird if they didn't.
If they don't finally get on with it I'm gonna be really pissed off.

• Locked thread