Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are they just ignoring tectonic slam and shield toss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

lamentable dustman posted:

That new channeled bow skill looks pretty bad. No instant damage so you are sitting around for a second to fire. Backend damage is also delayed. The nova shooting pods will have to be scaled with +projectiles, +projectile speed, and -duration and the channeling part will need +attack speed just to make the skill feel good. None of that helps with the damage which is already kind of odd because you will need to scale your chaos damage as it is.

Maybe the chaos and poison damage changes will help but poison is traditionally scaled by having a poo poo ton of them stacked which this skill will suck at.

yeah, I agree. It looks cool asf but a channeled skill with a delayed aoe sounds terrible. It'd be like playing EQ only the initial slam took even longer or something. But that's only in the context of the current clear speed meta, hopefully things changes for Delve though. If things slow down and the skill does decent damage/is scalable/chaos and poison isn't total poo poo, then I could see it being decent

Maybe there's a helm enchant that reduces the duration before the backend aoe occurs also

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of skills and movement, how come there's not a decent diablo clone yet where you can move with buttons/keys and aim with mouse? I'd be really nice to have that simple feature, IMO. Able to move into one direction and cast in the other without swinging the mouse over the drat screen every time.

At least arc just autotargets the closest enemy :v:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm interested to see what their plan for a chaos attack support is. Even with the two new skills there's only Viper Strike for chaos attack. Maybe something like elemental attack damage converted to chaos attack damage.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Truga posted:

Speaking of skills and movement, how come there's not a decent diablo clone yet where you can move with buttons/keys and aim with mouse?

That's a game that exists and is called Victor Vran.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Count Uvula posted:

That's a game that exists and is called Victor Vran.

Holy poo poo this looks nice, thanks. I'll definitely check it out once I'm done with poe :v:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

lamentable dustman posted:

That new channeled bow skill looks pretty bad. No instant damage so you are sitting around for a second to fire. Backend damage is also delayed. The nova shooting pods will have to be scaled with +projectiles, +projectile speed, and -duration and the channeling part will need +attack speed just to make the skill feel good. None of that helps with the damage which is already kind of odd because you will need to scale your chaos damage as it is.

Maybe the chaos and poison damage changes will help but poison is traditionally scaled by having a poo poo ton of them stacked which this skill will suck at.

Agree.

The back-end damage will have to be truly absurd to make up for the lack of initial damage. Maybe it will turn out to be a boss-only skill, kind of like how Barrage is comboed with a good clearing skill.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Truga posted:

Holy poo poo this looks nice, thanks. I'll definitely check it out once I'm done with poe :v:

It's not a diablo game but Bastion uses this control scheme and is a charming and fun game.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Bastion is just lovely

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yes, I've played through that a couple times just for the narrator. It's great

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

euphronius posted:

Are they just ignoring tectonic slam and shield toss.

no i'm pretty sure they just re-added shield toss but you need to equip a bow to use it

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Truga posted:

Oh yes, I've played through that a couple times just for the narrator. It's great

Now I'm imagining PoE with the Bastion narrator and it's kind of glorious.

"Kid found himself in another blasted map, watching the tears in reality float by him givin' off glimpses of a starry sky. Kid knew that meant he was being watched by someone. Shaper, Elder, whoever it was; it wasn't gonna be good."

Nezkar
Nov 6, 2012
So on my grind to 100 tonight I finally hit one of those ultra rare things people know about but never see in game...

turns out its a useless sextant, thanks for eating my luck, RNGjesus.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Nezkar posted:

So on my grind to 100 tonight I finally hit one of those ultra rare things people know about but never see in game...

grats on your fish

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nezkar posted:

Can you explain, so that stupid people (me) can understand which of those 3 sextants is supposed to be useless, and why?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

areas are alluring is one of the rarest things in the game, up there with finding krillson

also much like krillson, it doesn't seem to actually do anything really besides be kind of a joke

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Dr. Despair posted:

areas are alluring is one of the rarest things in the game, up there with finding krillson

also much like krillson, it doesn't seem to actually do anything really besides be kind of a joke

Ok, thanks. I thought from looking at it that it gave you breaches, which is something I thought people normally liked to run. Strange if it doesn't actually work though!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The Locator posted:

Ok, thanks. I thought from looking at it that it gave you breaches, which is something I thought people normally liked to run. Strange if it doesn't actually work though!

There are four different sextants there: Alluring, Breaches, No Reflect, Magic Pack Size

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Qwertycoatl posted:

There are four different sextants there: Alluring, Breaches, No Reflect, Magic Pack Size

Ah... lightbulb comes on. :v:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Testing out a build before Delve starts, 2 handed axe wielding flicker strike / molten strike that's setup towards poison damage as a Slayer.

I don't think it's working. :(

With axes, there's plenty of "increased ailment damage" nodes but the you can only do 40% chance to poison, unless I spend 11 points going all the way up to the Duelist area for another 20%
Flicker Strike sounds like a good idea for 2 handed weapons though. If you use 2 daggers/claws it doesn't combine them but alternate between them right? Flicker Strike only works if you can achieve 1 hit - 1 kill.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
Here's a theory crafted main tank build for pushing deep delves on standard with full mirror gear:

https://pastebin.com/3Ai7bJWn

Main things to note:

13.4k Energy shield, 61k armour, 75% block chance.
22.5k Energy shield regen per second (assumes you are surrounded by mobs and will always have blocked/been hit recently).
48% taunt chance with spectral throw with a tonne of projectiles, maybe overboard?
Uses surgeon flask plus crit chance to maintain flasks (assumes deep delves might take minutes to kill something).
Blind chance on hit, 5 endurance charges. 90% reduced extra damage from crits, Fortify.
A bit of overcap on resists, Chaos Inoculation.

Its a quick draft and probably full of wasted points and better things that could be done:
- Some kind of skill instead of spectral throw that hits in a circle around you (but may not hit ranged mobs shooting).
- A way to get 75% spell block into the build.
- Maybe abandon auras and trust on having an aurabot/cursebot in the party but what should the mana be reserved on then?
- Abandon armour/phys damage reduction almost entirely, and try to get phys damage as elemental and focus on increasing maximum elemental resists.

Interested to hear if you guys have any ideas, of things to change/rework/scrap.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The league patch notes aren't out and you're theorycrafting standard builds.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

George posted:

The league patch notes aren't out and you're theorycrafting standard builds.

Yep! I'm trying to come up with a couple builds, so that when the patch notes are released and 2-3 of them are nerfed into uselessness I'll still be good to go.

I feel like there is alot of really overpowered stuff that can be done in terms of defenses, but up until now have escaped being nerfed, because once you can kill uber elder extra defences are meaningless so noone cares.

My guess is they are going to nerf at least Zerphi's flask, and Templar energy shield mechanics for 20k+ ES.

An alternative Idea for a maintank I have is a summoner with the minion taunt chance abyss jewels, who summons a load of tanky spectres, then spams zombies/skeletons on top, all of which taunt mobs. It can use the dialla's chest to get level 28-30 spectre gems which should be very strong defensively.

Another option is a decoy totem summoner summoning 5-6 decoy totems.

Applebee123 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 19, 2018

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Applebee123 posted:

Here's a theory crafted main tank build for pushing deep delves on standard with full mirror gear:

https://pastebin.com/3Ai7bJWn

Main things to note:

13.4k Energy shield, 61k armour, 75% block chance.
22.5k Energy shield regen per second (assumes you are surrounded by mobs and will always have blocked/been hit recently).
48% taunt chance with spectral throw with a tonne of projectiles, maybe overboard?
Uses surgeon flask plus crit chance to maintain flasks (assumes deep delves might take minutes to kill something).
Blind chance on hit, 5 endurance charges. 90% reduced extra damage from crits, Fortify.
A bit of overcap on resists, Chaos Inoculation.

Its a quick draft and probably full of wasted points and better things that could be done:
- Some kind of skill instead of spectral throw that hits in a circle around you (but may not hit ranged mobs shooting).
- A way to get 75% spell block into the build.
- Maybe abandon auras and trust on having an aurabot/cursebot in the party but what should the mana be reserved on then?
- Abandon armour/phys damage reduction almost entirely, and try to get phys damage as elemental and focus on increasing maximum elemental resists.

Interested to hear if you guys have any ideas, of things to change/rework/scrap.

install D3

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

do you actually have a hardcore delve team on standard or are you just theory crafting for fun

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Applebee123 posted:

An alternative Idea for a maintank I have is a summoner with the minion taunt chance abyss jewels, who summons a load of tanky spectres, then spams zombies/skeletons on top, all of which taunt mobs. It can use the dialla's chest to get level 28-30 spectre gems which should be very strong defensively.

Level 30 spectres only have 20% more life than level 20 spectres. Better off losing 2 levels of spectre and using any other chest in the game.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4ooHTdw_g4

The new lightning system looks nice.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Lighting stuff is looking good for sure.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It reminds me of the 90s when 3D cards started natively supporting coloured lighting and so all the newest games went out of their way to be dark enough to showcase how cool their coloured lighting was.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

It reminds me of the 90s when 3D cards started natively supporting coloured lighting and so all the newest games went out of their way to be dark enough to showcase how cool their coloured lighting was.

When I saw the latest video my first thought was that they're making a darkness-themed league for precisely that reason.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Too brown

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Qwertycoatl posted:

When I saw the latest video my first thought was that they're making a darkness-themed league for precisely that reason.

Meanwhile, I just want 100% lighting all the time. Oh well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
That’s rather nice! I wonder if it’s helm sockets only or all socketss. Could get rather OP.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It would be unbelievably broken if it was all sockets.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

It's got to be socket on item, no other item that I can think of is universal sockets. Seems like a good animated guardian helm

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

It's got to be socket on item, no other item that I can think of is universal sockets. Seems like a good animated guardian helm

I've never seen a summoner build that wasn't already desperate for sockets though

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TheRat posted:

I've never seen a summoner build that wasn't already desperate for sockets though
There still are enough necros running AG for this to matter

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

There still are enough necros running AG for this to matter

Oh right, put the helm on the guardian. I'm dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

When's the new league start? The gimmick on this one looks cool and I want to take another crack at making martyr of innocence work