Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I sort of agree, but it's surprising how many people missed that completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I sort of agree, but it's surprising how many people missed that completely.

Yea I mean I think there's really no choice there because unless you really do want people to come away confused, they aren't going to put two and two together without those obvious cues. You'd have people coming out of the theatre going "why did Snoke's lightsaber randomly cut him in half like that tho???"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You have people above you who believe Rey killed Snoke. So.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CelticPredator posted:

You have people above you who believe Rey killed Snoke. So.

Let's wait until the Story Group has weighed in before we jump to any conclusions.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

True. I’m sticking to he died when he saw Ben Swolo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

Let's wait until the Story Group has weighed in before we jump to any conclusions.

The story group weighed in by approving the script

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I mean I think there's really no choice there because unless you really do want people to come away confused, they aren't going to put two and two together without those obvious cues. You'd have people coming out of the theatre going "why did Snoke's lightsaber randomly cut him in half like that tho???"

I can think of a few things; keeping Ben’s finger motions without actually showing the saber in close-up, maybe a reaction shot from him in between Snoke getting saber-shanked and said saber flying to Rey.

Who knows if throwing that stuff in would “work” in regards to the audience, though. Still, I’m sure somebody’s already made a fan edit of the scene.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The big improvement would be less Snoke yapping. It's super clunky and makes the big moment an eyeroll.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

CelticPredator posted:

True. I’m sticking to he died when he saw Ben Swolo.

He died upon looking into Kylos's mind and realizing that Jakku is Tantooine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

I'm pretty sure it was up to Kathleen Kennedy and probably Bob Iger to approve the script.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm pretty sure it was up to Kathleen Kennedy and probably Bob Iger to approve the script.

Well, yes, but the Story Group signs off on the continuity aspects of it. Presumably they all work together in various capacities

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There’s no way that’s true.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
At no other point have we seen force users be able to manipulate something as small as the activation button on a lightsaber, and lightsabers are only ever activated after being caught in every other scene and film. I can only conclude that Snoke was actually killed by an invisible assassin.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mechafunkzilla posted:

At no other point have we seen force users be able to manipulate something as small as the activation button on a lightsaber, and lightsabers are only ever activated after being caught in every other scene and film. I can only conclude that Snoke was actually killed by an invisible assassin.

I’m Pablo Hidalgo of the Story Group and this is canon

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

jivjov posted:

How do we know the story group did not approve the script under duress? Surely their positions would be at risk if they were to upset Kennedy.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

"Meesa just walks-a rigggght in. Nowonna thinkies to aska what Jar-Jar doing :shrug:"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Luke already proved you can manipulate things with the force without doing the finger waggle in Empire while he was doing handstands and asking rocks to float for him.

Kylo's hands may have expressed his desires, but ultimately the lightsaber chose Rey as its master and responded to her call, not Kylo's.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
We can surmise that the Kyber crystal functions as a sort of primitive brain.

Actually I just checked and this is literally canon.

The sword pressed its own button and killed Snoke by itself. It’s official! Thanks, Story Group.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

PostNouveau posted:

The big improvement would be less Snoke yapping. It's super clunky and makes the big moment an eyeroll.

It's another inappropriately timed and much-too-drawn-out joke which is par for the course for the movie.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The sword pressed its own button and killed Snoke by itself. It’s official! Thanks, Story Group.

You’re welcome.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I literally never noticed those hand movements by kylo before. Smdh. Very disappointed. It would have been way cooler to leave it ambiguous as to who’s telling the truth when Hux asks about it later. But instead rain Johnson treated the Star Wars franchise as a pulpit from which to preach “kill yr parents” and we’re all worse off for it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We’re better off honestly.

Now we know what Star Wars fans really are.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The old cannon was that to make them red, you had to torture them.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

We’re better off honestly.

Now we know what Star Wars fans really are.

If the word you’re thinking of is “disappointed” (which is actually right there in my post) you would be correct!!!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Palpatine disengaged Luke's handcuffs.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Harime Nui posted:

It's another inappropriately timed and much-too-drawn-out joke which is par for the course for the movie.

It comes across as a bad joke because it’s actually a botched suspense sequence.

Like, the question isn’t “will Kylo do it?”, or even “how will our heroes get out of this one?”. It’s “will Snoke notice what Kylo’s doing?”

And the answer’s like, ‘no, of course he won’t notice. Duh.’ We have Hitchcock’s ‘bomb under the table’ thing, when they show the sword moving early on, but literally nothing else in the scene generates suspense.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Hodgepodge posted:

The old cannon was that to make them red, you had to torture them.

That's new canon actually. Old canon was Jedi used naturally occurring blue and green crystals but the Sith used synthetic ones that were red because the manufacturing process made them "unstable". Mace Windu's Purple Saber was because he overclocked it with "Electrum" and I'm sure the rainbow's worth of colors Legends used had their own little explanations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

How do we know the story group did not approve the script under duress? Surely their positions would be at risk if they were to upset Kennedy.

That is a really good question. It could have been legally ineffective approval. Jesus we need more facts.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Btw that is not the first time the movies have “faked us out” by making It appear Kylo is calling for the Anakin Luke saber and in actuality it was Rey that the sword was obeying the whole time.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

Palpatine disengaged Luke's handcuffs.

That wasn't a force move, it's literally just the same tech as the touch-free wastebasket in my kitchen

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That wasn't a force move, it's literally just the same tech as the touch-free wastebasket in my kitchen

Well, the good news is, the Force is strong with you; the bad news is, you're too old to join our cult.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
All the talk about the Mustafar fight made me want to see it with context so I might watch the prequels for the first time in a decade and livepost it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s not going to go over well in CineD so I dunno. Might not be worth a try.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jewel Repetition posted:

All the talk about the Mustafar fight made me want to see it with context so I might watch the prequels for the first time in a decade and livepost it

Do 'em all in canon order

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

CelticPredator posted:

That’s not going to go over well in CineD so I dunno. Might not be worth a try.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Jewel Repetition posted:

as sheev said: do it

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I love a good story (group)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Well Whaddya Know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did SMG actually like The Last Jedi, or is he just trolling you guys?