Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is there a reason you feel that is true? No mainstream science says that is the case.

Negative carbon emissions are absolutely required in the next few decades to have any chance of staying under 1.5C max warming. That is absolutely the mainstream scientific consensus and the basis for the Paris accord 1.5C target. Maybe you're trying to argue that greater than 1.5C warming won't be THAT catastrophic? Arguing over the exact definition of catastrophe isn't worthwhile, but in any case the level of hardship and displacement experienced at even 1.5C warming definitely counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
The biggest issue with getting more efficient in our consumption is whether that efficiency will be offset by population growth. The projected estimates for world population have us hitting 9.7 billion by 2050. The planet cannot support a Western lifestyle for 10 billion people. It can't even support it for the West, currently, so quality of life in the West will have to decline at some point. This isn't to say we shouldn't get more efficient, we obviously should so that we can curb emissions to the max, but the Western lifestyle as it currently exists is untenable.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yknow, we have a much more manageable problem if six billion people die.

:thunk:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I think it would help if we adjust our expectations about wealth. The kind of wealth people enjoyed in the West from after the war until now is going to be impossible, but it's also not necessarily desirable. I don't want to live like a boomer, I don't wish for a car or a lot of possessions, I don't think having children is a necessary part of life and most people might be individually happier ditching those kinds of expectations anyway. A lot of those ideas about wealth are tied up with a patriarchal model with a breadwinner and housewife living in a house and commuting to work.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

Negative carbon emissions are absolutely required in the next few decades to have any chance of staying under 1.5C max warming. That is absolutely the mainstream scientific consensus and the basis for the Paris accord 1.5C target. Maybe you're trying to argue that greater than 1.5C warming won't be THAT catastrophic? Arguing over the exact definition of catastrophe isn't worthwhile, but in any case the level of hardship and displacement experienced at even 1.5C warming definitely counts.

Here's the thing, everyone admits limiting warming to +1.5C by 2100 isn't really possible anymore.

We'll be lucky if we hold it to +2-3C by 2100.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

tsa posted:

Wow, it's harder to say something more wrong.

There is not a single example of a time/place where increasing living standards didn't result in significantly increased greenhouse gas emissions. Not one. Poor people are far better for the environment than rich people, it's really odd you would make a statement so profoundly at odds with reality and sense-- I mean this is incredibly basic stuff: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/business/china-davos-climate-change.html

People move out of poverty and then immediately consume far more meat and resources than before. Also communist countries have not been historically been any better environmentalists than capitalist countries, in fact the USSR was one of the worst environmental offenders ever.

https://thediplomat.com/2014/10/how-the-soviet-union-created-central-asias-worst-environmental-disaster/

Just one of a billion different things they did that was a disaster -- suffice to say if you think communism has a good track record in this regard you don't know history. I mean communism doesn't stop people from wanting things or wanting higher standards of living it just has never worked that way.

And more things, regardless of the economic organization, basically necessarily means more GHG emissions. Again lets look at China, which has 18% of the worlds population and 28% of the worlds consumption of meat:

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/SiteC...in-china-v2.pdf

More rich = way more meat consumption is an indisputable fact.

People, given the means, love consuming poo poo and always have, there's not a place or time or economic setup where this hasn't been true. The difference was for 99.99999999% of humanity there were < 1 billion people on the planet and for most of that there were like 100-200 million.

The idea that we wave a wand and poof humans no longer act as they have acted for tens of thousands of years is magical thinking that has utterly no evidence to back it up.

You should familiarize yourself with regulatory capture.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Nocturtle posted:

It's clear North American consumption is beyond wasteful, and major emission reductions would still be compatible with a high quality of life. Even if we ultimately need to go carbon negative its silly to worry about at a time when there's so much unnecessary, over-the-top consumption fossil fuel consumption.

Related (stolen from the trade war thread):

We REALLY have to stop eating cows and start eating the rich.

Imagine if we stopped eating cows and planted trees in that amount of land. Stopping eating cows/drinking cow milk is really an extremely small inconvenience that could have an enormous impact on our carbon footprint and that would be an enormous amount of space to plant trees that could sequester carbon without the need for pie in the sky billion dollar carbon removal technology.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Burt Buckle posted:

Imagine if we stopped eating cows and planted trees in that amount of land. Stopping eating cows/drinking cow milk is really an extremely small inconvenience that could have an enormous impact on our carbon footprint and that would be an enormous amount of space to plant trees that could sequester carbon without the need for pie in the sky billion dollar carbon removal technology.

It really is a no brainer, but people like their burgers. However we'd still need the magic carbon removal tech anyway. Afforestation and reforestation can only sequester up to ~3Gt CO2 / year for some limited time period, while more than 5Gt CO2 annual sequestration is really what's required to prevent dangerous warming.

Trabisnikof posted:

Here's the thing, everyone admits limiting warming to +1.5C by 2100 isn't really possible anymore.

Of course this is what will actually happen.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Burt Buckle posted:

It's weird how talking about france having a carbon footprint 70% less than american's largely through energy policy is basically dismissed as not even worth it while this thread will keep going back to a possible <7% decrease if everyone stops eating meat.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's weird how talking about france having a carbon footprint 70% less than american's largely through energy policy is basically dismissed as not even worth it while this thread will keep going back to a possible <7% decrease if everyone stops eating meat.

because we need to do both but no one argues against decarbonizing the grid so we talk about the issues where there is pushback in the thread

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's weird how someone keeps insisting 70% is larger than 77%

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Who dismisses France's energy policy

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is there a reason you feel that is true? No mainstream science says that is the case.

IPCC's AR5 requires negative emissions for RCP 2.6 you loving idiot.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

The current concentration pathways to 1.5C by 2100 also require a temperature overshoot to around 1.8C followed by an around 0.3C decrease. 2C is absolutely the practical bare minimum.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Admiral Ray posted:

The biggest issue with getting more efficient in our consumption is whether that efficiency will be offset by population growth. The projected estimates for world population have us hitting 9.7 billion by 2050. The planet cannot support a Western lifestyle for 10 billion people. It can't even support it for the West, currently, so quality of life in the West will have to decline at some point. This isn't to say we shouldn't get more efficient, we obviously should so that we can curb emissions to the max, but the Western lifestyle as it currently exists is untenable.

Give women equal rights everywhere.

That will drop the population growth.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

The holistic mitigation strategy is to decarbonize the energy expenditures that you can and minimize usage of the ones you cant. I understand that thinking about more than one thing at once is impossible for some posters in this thread though.

Air travel and food choices both fall into the "hard to decarbonize" group for the foreseeable future. Solving the easy problem and ignoring our consumption of these just makes our required negative emissions even more intractable. These are also both consumption patterns that will continue to scale up as more people enter the middle class in India and China.

Some of these actions also have more impact than just GHG forcing. Dietary choices affect water usage and the nitrogen cycle as well, for example.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Literally nobody is dismissing a change in American energy policy. That is basically the linchpin of a low or no emissions society.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

VideoGameVet posted:

Actually do this regardless.

Also there is no moral, ethical or reasonable argument to be made against reducing emissions any and all ways, including following france's example and then everything else too. It provably works, and we need it. There is no «but the cost/but the exceptionalism/but it's not a magic bullet» argument, gently caress off with that poo poo.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Burt Buckle posted:

Literally nobody is dismissing a change in American energy policy. That is basically the linchpin of a low or no emissions society.

I guess, a bunch of people seem to be willing to put up some half hearted "yeah, do that or whatever" to the real solutions to get them out of the way so they can go back to policing a bunch of personal behavior to save some fraction of a fraction of some percent, but only on the fractions they can staple some moral angle to. We aren't going to see anyone fighting hard for like, laws demanding anyone take room temperature baths even though waterheaters take a lot of energy. Since there is no weird quasi-religious drive to police people's baths the way there is long cultural history in demanding people eat the right foods or declaring how many kid someone absolutely must have or how and when they have sex. "Every percent matters" only matters for people if it's the specific every percent that already lined up with what they wanted to police anyway. Then they'd be fine putting more effort saving a .1% reduction and let some 10% one go as NBD.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

VideoGameVet posted:

Yeah high birthrates are associated with patriarchal societies and a lack of available birth control, changing those things is a really good way to prevent more future emissions. Institutions that promote large families, like the Catholic church, should be fought until they give up that policy.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I guess, a bunch of people seem

I bolded the parts where you failed.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Potato Salad posted:

I bolded the parts where you failed.

Why has this thread never had long discussions about showers then or refrigeration? Is it just magically luck the things people randomly decided need banning are the exact same categories people always tried to police and the other neural ones go ignored?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Speaking of ignored,

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's too much. I have time to spend better by literally staring up at my ceiling fan than another owl post

I really like your posting elsewhere but god drat it man, gently caress

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 17, 2018

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I love how desperately he clings to any excuse to avoid thinking about his own particular source of superfluous carbon emissions.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
21st-century modeled permafrost carbon emissions accelerated by abrupt thaw beneath lakes: Methane and carbon dioxide emissions from abrupt thaw beneath thermokarst lakes will more than double radiative forcing from circumpolar permafrost-soil carbon fluxes this century.

Have a good weekend everyone! :tipshat:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hello Sailor posted:

I love how desperately he clings to any excuse to avoid thinking about his own particular source of superfluous carbon emissions.

That isn't some sort of secret. I have said over and over that climate change is a real technical issue with real technical solutions and that it bothers me how much people try to either co-opt it into either weird personal shaming where the primary goal is to focus on extremely minor personal choices that have almost no actual effect on global climate change or into some sort of weird "fun" apocalypse fanfiction where people fantasize about some sort of immediate action movie type 'exciting' death instead of a very long term serious issue that will be with people for generations.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Interesting findings and the paper is open access. The AThaw model they use assumes that thermokarst formation rapidly increases over the 21st century and they have some fairly good arguments for that assumption.

The take-home message seems to be that new thermokarst formation results in rapid permafrost retreat and a resulting temporary window of methane ebullition. More generally, we seem to have a problem systematically understating the effects of talik formation.

Notorious R.I.M. fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 18, 2018

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That isn't some sort of secret. I have said over and over that climate change is a real technical issue with real technical solutions and that it bothers me how much people try to either co-opt it into either weird personal shaming where the primary goal is to focus on extremely minor personal choices that have almost no actual effect on global climate change or into some sort of weird "fun" apocalypse fanfiction where people fantasize about some sort of immediate action movie type 'exciting' death instead of a very long term serious issue that will be with people for generations.
the hungering sea

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Weird stance to have while simultaneously understanding nothing about the technical details.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why has this thread never had long discussions about showers then or refrigeration? Is it just magically luck the things people randomly decided need banning are the exact same categories people always tried to police and the other neural ones go ignored?

Because the last time we talked about how much wattage a dryer uses and how effective hang drying can be we didn't have someone who had washed clothes on every continent come in to cry about it.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
This was posted in doomsday economics:

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Because the last time we talked about how much wattage a dryer uses and how effective hang drying can be we didn't have someone who had washed clothes on every continent come in to cry about it.
Also "conserving water and power is good" is a thing we currently teach to grade schoolers, and major appliances have regulations about efficiencies so this is largely an already won topic.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I suspect eventually the media will coin the "War on Climate Change" - which, based on the wars on Drugs and Terrorism, won't go so well.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Polio Vax Scene posted:

I suspect eventually the media will coin the "War on Climate Change" - which, based on the wars on Drugs and Terrorism, won't go so well.

Yeah we're already seeing some of that:

https://twitter.com/PascoSheriff/status/906712903868469249

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm not gonna do the math, but pretty sure i could take a thousand 30 minute wank steam showers for less than the ghg cost of one trans-oceanic cat petting

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

StabbinHobo posted:

i'm not gonna do the math, but pretty sure i could take a thousand 30 minute wank steam showers for less than the ghg cost of one trans-oceanic cat petting

Why aren't you going to do the math? Because showers aren't something you can moralize? 1 minute of hot showering apparently creates 0.2 kg of co2. And you shower every day, so 1000 showers is less than 3 years and is absolutely more than a flight to europe to pet a cat's beautiful head. But I don't really expect anyone to get on the "smell bad and take cold showers" bandwagon because no one really cares about that sort of low level personal emission beyond the cases they can disingenuously pick to care about it when it suits them.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
what if you have kids, but then those kids take rowboats made with carbon neutral techniques, and they row to every continent to eat all of the cats instead of beef

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why aren't you going to do the math? Because showers aren't something you can moralize? 1 minute of hot showering apparently creates 0.2 kg of co2. And you shower every day, so 1000 showers is less than 3 years and is absolutely more than a flight to europe to pet a cat's beautiful head. But I don't really expect anyone to get on the "smell bad and take cold showers" bandwagon because no one really cares about that sort of low level personal emission beyond the cases they can disingenuously pick to care about it when it suits them.

You're trying to rationalize your terrible (for the environment) decision and that's okay. Just don't act like petting cats in a different country is comparable to showering lmfao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

You're trying to rationalize your terrible (for the environment) decision and that's okay. Just don't act like petting cats in a different country is comparable to showering lmfao.

It literally has comparable impact. I am obviously going to use vastly more carbon heating water to shower than I ever will to visit cats. Because I shower every day, and fly a few times a year. But the idea is so deeply embedded that small amounts of carbon that are released "SINFULLY" matter and large amounts of carbon released virtuously or neutrally are totally fine. The goal seems to be a bunch of people shamed out of a couple random activities as major sacrifice that would cut their lifetime carbon output by some single digit percent instead of any sort of real goal towards any real solution.